Mitsubishi 73837 Bad Firmware, No Help from Mitsu - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 05:51 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Over the weekend I went to the Mitsubishi website to read about 3D and eventually landed on a 738 product listing page with a big 3D announcement banner hanging in the corner. Can't link here I guess because I don't have the requisite 3 forum posts yet.

Go to Mitsubishi website and click on DLPs to see what I'm talking about.

The big banner says, "Important Announcement Owners of 738 and 838 Series TVs: 3D Software Update Available". By owning a 73837 television, I am clearly a "Owner of 738 Series TV". When you click the banner it brings you to a download page for new firmware that adds support for all versions of 3D.

I followed the instructions, downloaded the firmware to a USB drive, applied the USB drive to my unit, waited the 30 minutes for the software to hook, restarted the television and now the unit is stuck.

It will not switch out of the "USB Media" screen. I've tried everything -- restarting, resetting (holding power button for 10-seconds), unplugging and leaving unit alone over night, etc. There is no USB key in the television but no matter what I do, it simply will not switch out of this screen. I can't even get to the full menu to do a factory reset. The only options are playing a USB slideshow.

I even re-wiped the USB drive and threw a couple JPEGs then inserted that into the television and sure enough, slideshow works fine. But can't exit the slideshow. Can't watch TV or start a movie, etc. Nothing at all.

I finally went back to the Mitsubishi website and read the fine print that by "738 Series Owners", they really only mean "73838 Owners". Apparently the firmware I applied is not compatible. Well, f-u Mitsubishi. Why the big banner advertising to "738 Series" then?

I've called Mitsubishi and received 2 local service repair center numbers. Neither answer. I've left repeated voicemails. Nothing. I called Fry's, the place I originally bought the unit from and they tell me to call Mitsu and they can't help me. Not even my Fry's warranty kicks in because "the unit is still less than 1 year old."

This is ridiculous. Can someone please help us out? Do you have the most recent firmware for the 73837 we could download and try to replace this bad copy with?

Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 06:02 PM
Advanced Member

Can't offer any help, but let this thread serve as a warning to others about Mitsubishi's slightly confusing model numbers... the first two digits are the screen size. The middle digit indicates the level of extras, 6 being the base model and 8 being the "top-of-the-line" and the last digit is indicative of the year... 8 signifying the 2010 models

The firmware upgrades are for the 2010 xx738 and xx838 models.

As you now know yourself from bitter experience, yours is actually a 73 inch model of the 837 series.

I'm more than a bit surprised that the firmware update software doesn't actually validate the TV model before attempting to make changes...

I'd suggest keep trying patiently with Mitsubishi to see what they can do to help you.
post #3 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjroddy View Post

Can't offer any help, but let this thread serve as a warning to others about Mitsubishi's slightly confusing model numbers... the first two digits are the screen size. The middle digit indicates the level of extras, 6 being the base model and 8 being the "top-of-the-line" and the last digit is indicative of the year... 8 signifying the 2010 models

The firmware upgrades are for the 2010 xx738 and xx838 models.

As you now know yourself from bitter experience, yours is actually a 73 inch model of the 837 series.

I'm more than a bit surprised that the firmware update software doesn't actually validate the TV model before attempting to make changes...

I'd suggest keep trying patiently with Mitsubishi to see what they can do to help you.

Wow, very confusing then! Your explanation makes perfect sense and certainly addresses the problem, but good lord Mitsubishi has got to make this more clear for critical things like firmware updates. Unbelievable. Many thanks for the clarification.

Agreed that Mitsu should have coded model number verification before simply borking the TV. One other thought, I suppose it is possible that the TV doesn't actually have bad firmware, but bad/invalid firmware is stuck in it trying to load. Is there a way to wipe this temporary storage and try that?

I can't seem to get to the factory reset switch. I've tried, [MENU], [1], [2], [3] and it does nothing. When I click menu, I get a partial menu that only includes brightness and tint options as relevant to the USB slideshow program. Also, the date and time are showing January 1 2009. I tried adjusting this to the present day and it appears to accept the change, but pulling back up [MENU] just shows the same January 1 2009 date. Assume that's a default.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Does anyone know how to do a hardware factory reset? Pressing [MENU], [1], [2], [3] does not do the trick for me as my set appears to be stuck in USB read mode. Is there a pinhole reset or hidden panel like on the older models?
post #5 of 7 Old 12-01-2010, 11:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
You might have more luck getting replies in the 2009 thread.. that is where most of the owners of the 837 models read and post. It is also where the most experience is. Creating a new thread is kind of - well going off by yourself - and then asking for help from others.

Just another blank signature.
post #6 of 7 Old 12-02-2010, 12:12 AM - Thread Starter

Problem solved. For anyone else that has a firmware issue, here's the steps to resolve;-

1. Each Mitsu firmware package contains a .utv and an updatelogic.txt file. The updatelogic.txt file appears to tip off the TV OS to target the utv update and prime the set for updating at power down.

2. Create an empty utv file from TextEdit (Mac) or Notepad (Win). Change the .txt extension to .utv. Title the file "clearmem.utv".

3. Next, create a .txt file called "updatelogic.txt" and inside, add the line, "_clearmem.utv"

4. Load both files into the root of a USB drive. Insert into the USB port on your Mitsu DLP.

5. Wait for the drive to load and the USB viewer program appear on screen. Now shutdown the monitor using the "Power Off" button on the remote. Wait approximately 5 minutes.

6. Remove the USB drive then turn the set back on and operation should be returned to normal.

The above steps appear to wipe the bad firmware from being staged. As the replacement above doesn't include any actual firmware writing instructions, the Mitsu OS appears to just load it into memory, attempt a firmware update, fail and then clear its memory.

7. Factory reset for good measure, although I skipped this step and things are running perfectly again.

Hope that helps!
TD Trader likes this.
post #7 of 7 Old 12-02-2010, 12:37 AM
Advanced Member

I love a happy ending
TD Trader likes this.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version