JVC HD-56FB97 green / yellow tint - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 12-21-2010, 09:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, I've been searching around and I've found a little information about this problem. I was given this 52" JVC D-ILA tv because it has a slight yellow / green tint to the entire screen through the D-Sub and RCA/S-Vid ports.

I've ordered a DVI-HDMI cable to try higher resolutions but I have the feeling I'm going to be stuck with this greenish tint.

The screen is not too dim (sorry no pics atm) so I don't think I need to replace the bulb.

Does anyone know how to enter the Service Menu, maybe I'll be able to change color settings in there?

What kind of hardware would this problem be if it's not a software setting?

I'm having a hard time finding anything other than replacement lamps as this tv is now well over 3 years old. I'm starting to think this isn't even worth my time
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 12-22-2010, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

help please?
post #3 of 15 Old 12-22-2010, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegal_smile View Post

Hi all, I've been searching around and I've found a little information about this problem. I was given this 52" JVC D-ILA tv because it has a slight yellow / green tint to the entire screen through the D-Sub and RCA/S-Vid ports.

I've ordered a DVI-HDMI cable to try higher resolutions but I have the feeling I'm going to be stuck with this greenish tint.

The screen is not too dim (sorry no pics atm) so I don't think I need to replace the bulb.

Does anyone know how to enter the Service Menu, maybe I'll be able to change color settings in there?

I'm having a hard time finding anything other than replacement lamps as this tv is now well over 3 years old. I'm starting to think this isn't even worth my time

I don't know how to help other then to point you to another thread with a lot of info on that TV(http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=715594) which has some well documented issues. I have one my self the hd-56fh97 that has the dreaded yellow blob I think there should be some type of class action lawsuit, but I guess that's just wishful thinking . Anyway hope that helps.

Menace

I'd rather give you $10 than 10 minutes. I can always earn $10, where do I go to earn 10 minutes.
post #4 of 15 Old 12-24-2010, 04:36 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked: 121
Nice gift.

How about the other inputs? RF, component, HDMI?
What does a mono image (B&W) look like? Turn the chroma (color) down all the way and report back on how 'grey' the screen looks.

The D-ILA's were nice sets, at least the potential was there. Too bad they had problems with CA (chromatic aberrations), a lack of inputs, inability to use a PC so the screen gets filled properly (without a hassle if it worked at all) and a terrible menu system (which was never corrected by JVC).

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #5 of 15 Old 12-24-2010, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

I've tried only VGA/RCA as of now, my dvi->hdmi cable showed up the day before I was leaving so I haven't had time to try. Will try when i return and get back to you with answers your questions. I'm guessing this isn't a bulb issue but something else hardware related, if it is do you know what it could be?

Also, i'm not a videophile type of guy, i love movies and building electronic components, but this is all new to me so thanks for the help.
post #6 of 15 Old 12-24-2010, 10:40 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

and building electronic components

Then you are half way there.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
post #7 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 05:13 PM - Thread Starter

here are some shots i just took, i think this sums it up... dim and yellow... turned tint all the way down to -30, rest of the settings are at 0. New bulb or something more serious?

THANKS!

post #8 of 15 Old 12-28-2010, 05:14 PM - Thread Starter

it's not quite that washed out IRL but i think these pics show the issue enough. It's not terrible when you're playing full screen video with colorful scenes, though it could be brighter, but when that white screen shows up the yellow/green tint is definitely noticeable.
post #9 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 04:10 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Grey scale is the first place I would go.
What is it like with the chroma (color) turned all the way down? That is step one. If it doesn't look absolutely gray (not bluish like most sets) or any other color, it's not correct.

It's not a phase (tint) issue.

Take a look here;
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=455897
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=638602
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=598154

post #10 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 09:56 AM

Quote:

You are now the proud owner of a very heavy boat anchor. The light engine is bad which is typically a $2000 repair (I know because I am waiting for parts so Sears can replace my light engine...luckily I have a Master Protection Agreement on my 70" JVC). Unload it and get a new LED/LCD TV that doesn't get dusty, doesn't get dim and dingy over time, and doesn't turn to total crap because of sub-par engineering...JVC should be sued in a class action.
post #11 of 15 Old 12-29-2010, 11:33 AM - Thread Starter

Great! Good to know, at least I paid nothing for it. After browsing menace2society's link I realized that it is the light engine and that i am screwed. Glad to hear you're going to be OK whenever you get a new light engine. What a joke. Thanks for your help
post #12 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 05:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Before you "trash it", have you tried to gray scale the set??

post #13 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

No I have not, it's still setup attached to the computer, I will try today after work! I'm just skeptical because of the yellow line down the right side. Also is that something I need to set the service menu (how do i get into the service menu)??

Thanks
post #14 of 15 Old 12-30-2010, 05:54 PM

Quote:

here are some shots i just took, i think this sums it up... dim and yellow... turned tint all the way down to -30, rest of the settings are at 0. New bulb or something more serious?

THANKS!

thats what mine looks like plus my flickers to bright and dim every couple minutes
post #15 of 15 Old 12-31-2010, 04:09 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
I'm just skeptical because of the yellow line down the right side.
I didn't notice the "bar" towards the right side.
The "flickering" is another issue.
Service Menu access etc. are in those links I provided. Have you looked thru those yet?

It does appear it needs a light engine change out.

Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page