Toshiba 52HM84 won't power on, HELP! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-02-2011, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
This unit is about 5 years old, have replaced the bulb 2 times. The about 1 week ago it died and was not sure why, the next day it powered on and was working fine. The other night it just died again and will not power on.
Side note, the tv is sitting on a built in mantle on top of a gas logs fireplace, not sure there is any correlation to this or not. Is there a fuse inside that may have been blown?

thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 09:46 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Fuses aren't intermittent, they don't tend to grow back

Are there any strange noises? Like a noisy color wheel? Any LED's lit?
Old 01-23-2011, 11:07 AM

Hi, I don't have an answer for you but just yesterday my venerable Toshiba started something new. I'm used to all the bulb problems and the usual symptoms when the bulb is starting to go, but this was something different. It just died in the middle of a show. I got it running again (after it cycled several times to ignite the bulb, nothing unusual) and then it died again. And again. All told, about six times in half an hour. I've looked at the bulb and it looks fine, no extra dust or anything. I hesitate to replace it if this is not the problem.

Does anyone know if this is a 'ballast board' symptom or another wrinkle on the usual bulb replacement hassle?

Thank you!
JB
Old 01-23-2011, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacofortacos View Post

Fuses aren't intermittent, they don't tend to grow back

Are there any strange noises? Like a noisy color wheel? Any LED's lit?

Hi Paco (if that's your name)
I see the original author of this thread didn't reply to you. You sound knowledgeable - can I ask you a question directly? (I'm new to the board)
I have a power problem with my Toshiba 52HM84. It just turns itself off, with no bulb-cool-down period, in the middle of shows. This just started yesterday. In a computer, this would probably be a power supply problem, possibly a wave-solder problem on the motherboard. I'm hoping it's not that serious.

Do you know of bulb failures that have started this way? Is my problem likely to be something related to the bulb, or is it something else?

There are no error messages, flashing lights, or anything other than simple power failure.

Thank you for any help you might be able to give.

Jordansky
Old 01-23-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Paco isn't my real name just a screen name LOL

Do you get any LED lights up front after a shut off? Or does it all just go black?

Can you pull it out enough to look at it when it is running? To verify all the fans are working. I can't remember off hand what happens if the lamp door becomes loose after the tv is already on. Maybe try it to see what happens?

There is a thermal switch on it also - which is one reason why I was curious about the fans.

Usually a ballast going in the middle of watching tv like that will, I think, leave the sound on for a few seconds - at least. I also think the LED will flash.