Old 05-10-2011, 02:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seanbenn View Post

I heard and it maybe incorrect that the new 92' tv will use a duel lamp setup to achieve the desired brightness.

Where did you hear that? That seems highly suspect. It's much easier to just increase the wattage than to get two bulbs to evenly illuminate a single light path. Higher wattage bulbs are an easy and well proven option. RP DLP sets are the value they are because they can simply scale up the screen/cabinet while everything else is the same or similar components. It would be odd for them to develop a new solution requiring a bunch of new parts when they could just put in a brighter bulb and retain most of everything else.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-10-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 62
I had heard that Mitsubishi planned to use two identical lamps in these sets also. Can't recall where I saw this, but the lamps were supposed to be the same that were being used in the other sets in 2011 and were to be under $100 each to replace.

Logic was to use existing parts - lamps, ballast, etc. to keep the cost of replacement down and reduce the need to stock additional lamp models - as relatively few of these monster sets would be sold.

Time will tell - when Mistubishi is darn ready to tell us.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Last year Mitsubishi announced front projectors which have a two lamp option. For maximum illumination the user enables the second lamp.

http://www.cybertheater.com/mitsubis...lp-projectors/

The more expensive model WD8200U is only WXGA.

Could this be the source of the 92 inch story, or is Mitsubishi thinking of using this technology in the 92???

It would be welcome news if the 92 had an abundance of light.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Last year Mitsubishi announced front projectors which have a two lamp option. For maximum illumination the user enables the second lamp.

http://www.cybertheater.com/mitsubis...lp-projectors/

The more expensive model WD8200U is only WXGA.

Could this be the source of the 92 inch story, or is Mitsubishi thinking of using this technology in the 92???

It would be welcome news if the 92 had an abundance of light.

It would make perfect sense to do a duel lamp setup to light that 92" screen.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:33 PM

The brightness of the '92 is my only concern too (as many others here have already said) so I'm patiently waiting for the news to break.

We will hear about it first off an A/V site like this one before their own site considering their track record for slow updates to their website.

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."
Old 05-11-2011, 11:19 PM

Liked: 14
It's ok, i heard stark will be installing the ironman's power core in the mits 92", so brightness should not be a problem.
Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

My guess would be that the bulb wattage will be >= (greater than or equal to) the wattage of the bulb they use in the 82840. Seriously though, I have absolutely no idea what they'll go with.

Hey Geoff,

I have my eye on the Mits 92 incher too.

Murray Kerdman
Old 05-29-2011, 09:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Hi Murray- I wonder if the 92" will be offered in laser or bulb versions, or both types offered.

"With Liberty, HDTV and Justice for all."
Richard Adams
Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 45
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Adams View Post

Hi Murray- I wonder if the 92" will be offered in laser or bulb versions, or both types offered.

Still no hard evidence, but it appears that there will be an update to the LaserVue this year, and it will still only come in 75".

--
(this space for rent)
Old 05-30-2011, 12:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Someone stated in an amazon review of the WD-82838 that one of the negatives about it was that it had two lamps!

http://www.amazon.com/review/R3AT9JT...wasThisHelpful

I guess Joe Sixpack does exist.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 06-01-2011, 05:32 PM

Mitsubishi just announced availability and specs for the 2011 lineup including the 92 incher. MSRP for this baby is $5,999 and it will be available in July. Street prices for this baby should be in the 5 grand range before long. Can't wait.
Old 06-02-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:

Mitsubishi's new Diamond 840 Series, which includes its flagship 92-inch 3D DLP Home Cinema TV, comes with a range of new enhancements and upgrades. These include a new Clear Contrast Screen that mitigates ambient light through a specially-formulated screen material to deliver deep blacks, bright whites and a wide range of colors in between. Equally impressive is the Diamond 840 Series' integrated Immersive Sound Technology (IST) 16-speaker Dolby® Digital 5.1 surround sound system that delivers perfectly balanced home theater audio, without the need for separate components. Paired with a wireless sub-woofer from Polk Audio, consumers can enjoy a truly unique audio system-it's like 3D for the ears.

The Diamond 840 Series and LaserVue models offer an exciting connected TV feature, Mitsubishi's iPhone®, iPod touch® and iPad® remote control application, which will be available for free in the iTunes® store. The remote app gives consumers wireless control of Mitsubishi TVs with a touch screen interface, allowing them to change basic TV menus, switch TV sources, control multiple TVs in the home, adjust audio and video settings, and more.

Mitsubishi leverages connected TV, with wireless Internet capability featured in its 740 and 840 series, and wireless Internet built-in to the LaserVue televisions. Mitsubishi's StreamTV feature, available on 740 and 840 series and LaserVue televisions, provides instant access to an extensive library of high-quality online entertainment and social media content. Choose from over 100 different streaming applications, including Vudu movies, Pandora®, Flickr®, Picasa, Facebook®, Twitter, Associated Press, The New York Times® and more.

Mitsubishi Diamond 840 3D DLP Home Cinema TV Series. Headlined by Mitsubishi's 92-inch 3D DLP Home Cinema TV, the Diamond 840 Series also includes 73- and 82-inch sizes that add the new Clear Contrast Screen for high-quality viewing of 3D and high-definition programming and content. The ultimate in large-screen home entertainment, the Diamond 840 Series includes an immersive sound technology (IST) 16-speaker Dolby Digital 5.1 surround sound system and Bluetooth Audio, without adding wires and other components. Priced at $2,599.00 (73-inch), $4,199.00 (82-inch) and $5,999.00 (92-inch), features include:

The 840 Series adds:

New 92-inch screen size

New Clear Contrast Screen

16-speaker integrated IST

Center channel mode and surround channel outputs

Bluetooth Audio

Sub-woofer output

4 HDMI inputs

PerfectColor/PerfecTint

Wired IR Input

ISFccc

no mention of brightness improvements.
Old 06-02-2011, 02:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by gagaliya View Post

no mention of brightness improvements.

Actually in one of the blurbs I saw they mention the new screen increases contrast and improves veiwning in higher ambient light levels... I don't see how you get much more contrast without more luminosity.

One of the problems with the current screen is that you get too much light scatter when you crank up the light level/ contrast setting. So even though the lamp will actually put out more light the current screen washes out before the lamp runs out of juju. If the new screens don't suffer so muc from that you will get greater luminosity from the same lamp for any given screen size.

Just another blank signature.
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Their website has finally been updated too.

There is a link to a spec sheet: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/pdf/specsheet-840.pdf that currently isn't working for me: goes back to home page.

92" dimensions:

54.9" high by 81.9" wide by 25" deep

194.3 lbs

A Beast!
Old 06-02-2011, 06:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 763 Post(s)
Liked: 1180
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Actually in one of the blurbs I saw they mention the new screen increases contrast and improves veiwning in higher ambient light levels... I don't see how you get much more contrast without more luminosity.

One way is to decrease diffusion.

You say as much below:

Quote:

One of the problems with the current screen is that you get too much light scatter when you crank up the light level/ contrast setting. So even though the lamp will actually put out more light the current screen washes out before the lamp runs out of juju. If the new screens don't suffer so muc from that you will get greater luminosity from the same lamp for any given screen size.

Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Their website has finally been updated too.

There is a link to a spec sheet: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/pdf/specsheet-840.pdf that currently isn't working for me: goes back to home page.

92" dimensions:

54.9" high by 81.9" wide by 25" deep

194.3 lbs

A Beast!

God it's more than twice as heavy as my 73C9.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Old 06-02-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I really wish we had even more details. My 73" is plenty bright but I am worried about the 92" because it mentions nothing about dual lamps. Plus, there is a VERY nice deal on the 82" right now:

Mitsubishi WD-82738 82" 1080p 3D DLP HDTV $1999.00

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...4892&t=2981213
Old 06-02-2011, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

On another note, this 92" will be our first 3D TV. I picked up these below glasses at a great deal but not sure they will work with the Mitsubishi set.

Can someone confirm?

These are them:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-P2.../dp/B0049P1N26

I believe they will work according to one reviewer but not sure if they will with the new line of Mitsubishi TVs.

"We have a Mitsubishi 3D DLP TV and bought their starter pack which came with two pairs of glasses and the 3D emitter. Unfortunately Mitsubishi does not offer the glasses separately if you need more than two pairs. Fortunately, these Samsung glasses are exactly the same model, only difference is Mitusbishi's do not have a Samsung logo. So we bought this kit to expand the set we already have."
Old 06-02-2011, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post
I really wish we had even more details. My 73" is plenty bright but I am worried about the 92" because it mentions nothing about dual lamps. Plus, there is a VERY nice deal on the 82" right now:

Mitsubishi WD-82738 82" 1080p 3D DLP HDTV $1999.00

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthr...4892&t=2981213
The question is, how worthwhile are the improvements in the 740 series over the 738 series? Since the full spec sheet on the 740s aren't up yet, it may be too early to tell.

But if the new models aren't a big upgrade, that offer is extremely tempting.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked: 39
My local Fry's is advertising the old 82" for $2050
Old 06-02-2011, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtw76mtw View Post
The question is, how worthwhile are the improvements in the 740 series over the 738 series? Since the full spec sheet on the 740s aren't up yet, it may be too early to tell.

But if the new models aren't a big upgrade, that offer is extremely tempting.
I agree, if the improvements are slight from the 738 to 740 that is a great deal on the 82" model.

I would really like to jump on it at that price, but I worry that I'd just want the 92" when it goes on sale somewhere for a decent price.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Old 06-02-2011, 09:38 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked: 226
Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb16 View Post
I agree, if the improvements are slight from the 738 to 740 that is a great deal on the 82" model.

I would really like to jump on it at that price, but I worry that I'd just want the 92" when it goes on sale somewhere for a decent price.
To me, 738 or 838 vs 740 or 840 is a completely different decision than 82" vs 92". If your room can handle the 92" and the budget can handle the purchase, then, to me, the decision is probably obvious (wait for the 92"). Otherwise, it's a matter of deciding if the features in the 2010 sets are good enough or whether the new features are worth waiting for. Other than possibly the new screen material (which I don't think we have enough detail on yet), I don't really see anything that's really worth waiting for.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:54 AM

Quote:
To me, 738 or 838 vs 740 or 840 is a completely different decision than 82" vs 92". If your room can handle the 92" and the budget can handle the purchase, then, to me, the decision is probably obvious (wait for the 92"). Otherwise, it's a matter of deciding if the features in the 2010 sets are good enough or whether the new features are worth waiting for. Other than possibly the new screen material (which I don't think we have enough detail on yet), I don't really see anything that's really worth waiting for.
Good points. About the clear contrast screen, it looks like that feature is only available on the 840 series, not the 740 series. And if that screen is glossy, as indicated in the CES videos of the 92" model, a lot of people may not care for it due to issues with reflections and glare.

Most of the other 840 series upgrades seem to be the audio features, which probably isn't of any interest to those with their own surround system.

The 840s do have one additional HDMI input and "PerfectColor/PerfecTint", whatever that is. Is that something worth paying for?
Old 06-02-2011, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

FYI,

The 92" is actually 59% larger than the 73". In terms of square inches. HUGE!

Viewing size in square inches:

65" - 1,805
73"- 2,282
82" - 2,876
92" - 3,617

So it's also about 26% bigger than the 82!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Oh, I definitely agree with you. I am just a sucker for deals, and that is the best price I've ever seen on the 82738 (or any 82" model), and it'd probably be a year before I see a price I'd be comfortable paying for a 92" is all.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
Old 06-02-2011, 11:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Old 06-02-2011, 11:11 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 230 Post(s)
Liked: 461
Can anyone tell me if the color decoding was corrected in last year's models? From what some calibrators told me, when the color decoding was set at accurate levels, it looked too drab. Subjectively, it looked better to pump it up....yet, technically, it's no longer accurate that way.

Also, what were the MLL on these displays?

Thanks.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
The PDF Spec sheets are now working on the Mitsubishi site, and it shows the bulbs as 156/180, which seems the same as last years.

Old 06-02-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Old 06-02-2011, 12:56 PM

man i am having serious second thoughts about getting this vs a projector.

The advantage is daytime viewing when people come over, and no projector mounting and running wires to the back of the living room.

But this thing is 200lbs (vs 15lb) and dimension wise very thick! on top of that it cost 3x as much as a good hd projector.

With the new wireless 1080p video transmitters, running wires is no longer needed for the projector. So it really just come down to if daytime/ambient light viewing is worth all the trouble (and money).

Tags
Displays , Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 92840 92 Inch 1080p 3d Projection Tv , Projectors