92" Mitsubishi DLP @ CES!!! - Page 19 - AVS Forum
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last
Rear Projection Units > 92" Mitsubishi DLP @ CES!!!
Bill's Avatar Bill 08:12 PM 07-25-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonsai418 View Post

Why do you think this is advertisement?
vjkaty is just letting us know that Paul's TV has them in stock now.

Thought it was posted by Paul's customer service. My bad. I deleted it when I saw my mistake but not obviously before you could post this. Awe, the instant internet.

GEP's Avatar GEP 10:45 AM 07-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill View Post

It increased contrast, not really, by darkening the picture. You must be talking about the CRT-RPTVs that had a built in protective screen. At the end of their run, most of them had one. In the beginning, none of then had one. CRT-RPTVs had lenticular screens which reflected less than DLPs. Don't know why they don't use them on DLPs except maybe cost. Maybe I could take the screen out of my 73" CRT-RPTV and put it in a 73" DLP when it dies.

Actually DLP RPTVs still use a Lenticular screen (one with ribs) but the ribs are much finer than the ribs used on CRT RPTVs. The rib size needs to be matched to the "spot" size and on a DLP that is about the size of one pixel but on a CRT that is the "beam spot" size of the combined RGB CRTs which was much larger than one pixel. DLPs also still use Fresnel lens behind the screen (has concentric circle grooves) - look at the service manual descriptions.

Purpose of the Fresnel lens is to magnify image and spread light to the corners. Purpose of the Lenticular screen is to broaden the viewing angle so people off angle can still get a decent pix.

I think the shields were used to protect the screen because they were easier to scratch. The added contrast aspect may have come from some tinting that was not required but as long as you had a shield in place why not. Also I have heard that the reflective nature has a benefit in higher ambient light conditions by reflecting the light instead of having the room light absorbed by the screen material. So this would not make a difference in a darkened room. Odd isn't it the reflections are annoying but the reflective nature may help the contrast.
Bill's Avatar Bill 06:55 PM 07-26-2011
It's funny that the picture on a DLP looks flat compared to a CRT-RPTV. The difference in screen I assume. The screens certainly look a lot different. Need to check out the 840s. Sounds like they put back on the "protective screen".
curtishd's Avatar curtishd 09:59 AM 07-27-2011
So where in the Bay Area can I see one of these for myself?
Gruson's Avatar Gruson 03:02 PM 07-27-2011
Paul's wont be selling too many of them...they want full retail for it.
Viktor Nacht's Avatar Viktor Nacht 02:41 PM 07-28-2011
Has anyone heard from Cleveland Plasma lately? I got an immediate reply to initial email to be put on the pre-order list, but no reply to a recent email asking for an update.

V
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 03:24 PM 07-28-2011
Sorry about that, no update. Within 30 days all 840 sizes should be in
sac130e's Avatar sac130e 05:06 PM 07-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Sorry about that, no update. Within 30 days all 840 sizes should be in

Number 1 on that list...waiting sucks...
Wesley Hester's Avatar Wesley Hester 05:19 PM 07-28-2011
Hopefully I'm near the top too. I've been waiting since CES. Got the funds together and getting the stand built.
Viktor Nacht's Avatar Viktor Nacht 05:48 PM 07-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Sorry about that, no update. Within 30 days all 840 sizes should be in

Boo! But thank you. On the plus side it gives me time to find a stand.
Nappy P's Avatar Nappy P 09:50 PM 07-28-2011
As an owner of a 57 mitsu for ~6 years who is still on the original bulb, they have my loyalty. I'm currently in the market for a new TV. My 57 is looking dimmer due to obvious reasons and has an akward oval like shape forming on the screen. AKA... its getting old.

I'm obviously looking to go bigger and keep it affordable. This 92 seems to be my answer. Front PJ is more serious than what I want and any plasma/LCD of size is just too expensive.

Now that my personal story is out of the way', I have a few questions for you all. (Not all will have known answers, but your educated guess will do)

1. How many do you think will be made? I can't imagine a whole lot. I'd hate to find out that I can't get one due to a sell out.

2. Where are the places I can find one for sale? ... pm answer if it breaks forum rules.

3. I read the whole thread. Any body care to explained wobulation to me and its relevence to this TV.

4. How many are on the mentioned waiting list?

5. How many of you are getting one for sure?
caneaddict's Avatar caneaddict 10:07 PM 07-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nappy P View Post

As an owner of a 57 mitsu for ~6 years who is still on the original bulb, they have my loyalty. I'm currently in the market for a new TV. My 57 is looking dimmer due to obvious reasons and has an akward oval like shape forming on the screen. AKA... its getting old.

I'm obviously looking to go bigger and keep it affordable. This 92 seems to be my answer. Front PJ is more serious than what I want and any plasma/LCD of size is just too expensive.

Now that my personal story is out of the way', I have a few questions for you all. (Not all will have known answers, but your educated guess will do)

1. How many do you think will be made? I can't imagine a whole lot. I'd hate to find out that I can't get one due to a sell out.

2. Where are the places I can find one for sale? ... pm answer if it breaks forum rules.

3. I read the whole thread. Any body care to explained wobulation to me and its relevence to this TV.

4. How many are on the mentioned waiting list?

5. How many of you are getting one for sure?

1. Word from retailers right now is there won't be a shortage (however i guess that depends on initial demand and that won;t be known until they ship)

2. Pauls TV and a few more on-line. However the forum sponsor, Cleveland Plasma, has significantly better pricing than any other place I've seen yet. They also have a good track record here for communication, delivery, service etc.

3. Someone else would be better to answer this

4. The wait list they are talking about is a specific wait list for Cleveland Plasma - maybe CP can chime in and give numbers for how many on that list.

5. I am getting one for sure but might wait until it gets down around $4k (right now available for $4500 from CP)
Bonsai418's Avatar Bonsai418 12:14 AM 07-29-2011
I am getting one too.
This waiting is driving me crazy
Ted99's Avatar Ted99 07:34 AM 07-29-2011
The laservue owners thread has a comprehensive discussion of wobulation in it's earlier posts
joikd's Avatar joikd 08:16 AM 07-29-2011
I hate the wobulation on my 73837. It softens the picture too much. I'm done with fake 1080P. Last weekend I installed a front projector in my living room (BenQ W6000, 110" Da-Lite Da-Mat HC screen), and it smokes my Mits. I'm using cinema mode with the lamp in eco., and it puts out plenty of lumens (less than my Mits., which was at 40 ftl, but plenty bright). The only change I had to make was installing a double curtain rod on the sliding door that holds both the normal curtain, and a blackout curtain (Wal-mart). With this, daytime viewing is just fine. If you can do it, there are a few front projectors/screen combinations that will work for living rooms with some ambient light.

By the way, I'm only putting this out there because if someone had told me about the W6000 when I bought my 73837, I would have bought the W6000 instead. At the time I just blindly believed that a front projector wouldn't work in a normal living room.
Darin's Avatar Darin 09:23 AM 07-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by joikd View Post

I hate the wobulation on my 73837. It softens the picture too much.

Did you go into the service menu and disable geometry correction? If not, that is more likely the cause of your softened image rather than wobulation. People don't realize it, but all these sets run geometry correction running, which prevents 1:1 pixel mapping. Resolution suffers. Disabling geometry correction fixes that, though the natrual geometry issues of a rear projection set become a little more noticeable, though mostly only during things like the menu of my DVR, and 4:3 programming.
Nappy P's Avatar Nappy P 11:26 AM 07-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

The laservue owners thread has a comprehensive discussion of wobulation in it's earlier posts

thanks for the tip.
joikd's Avatar joikd 03:05 PM 07-29-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

Did you go into the service menu and disable geometry correction? If not, that is more likely the cause of your softened image rather than wobulation. People don't realize it, but all these sets run geometry correction running, which prevents 1:1 pixel mapping. Resolution suffers. Disabling geometry correction fixes that, though the natrual geometry issues of a rear projection set become a little more noticeable, though mostly only during things like the menu of my DVR, and 4:3 programming.

Sure did. The very first time I turned it on. Geometry was not perfect, but very acceptable. At one point I even unplugged the connector that enables wobulation just to see the difference. Every other line disappears, but the picture is noticeably sharper (in a good way--better clarity might be a better phrase). This was only to test it, of course, so I plugged it back in (wobulated picture is better than missing every other horizontal line--don't waste your time doing this). Of course, with my BenQ now, neither of these issues apply.

One other thing, my 73837 (calibrated) displays tons more digital noise compared to my BenQ. Of course, I never noticed it until I got the BenQ.
jeffburk's Avatar jeffburk 08:44 AM 07-30-2011
I have a couple of questions regarding screen height.

My current TV is a JVC HD-70G886, which sits on top of a 35" built-in cabinet, which puts the top of the screen at 80" and the middle of the screen at 62". Modifying the cabinet to a lower height would be fairly expensive, plus I have small children who cannot reach the TV now but would probably be able to push buttons and touch the screen if the cabinet were considerably lower.

Maybe I don't know any better since I haven't seen it on a lower cabinet, or maybe my viewing tastes aren't too sophisticated, but I don't have a problem viewing the JVC at this height.

Would having the 92840 on the same cabinet (which is way too high according to the discussions on this thread and higher than I would have built the cabinet had I been buying a 92" TV rather than a 70" TV at the time), going to result in a viewing experience that most people would have a problem with?

Is the difference in viewing experience between a 35" cabinet and a 13" cabinet with the 92840 something that most people would notice?
curtishd's Avatar curtishd 10:20 AM 07-30-2011
Yes it would be too high and you would be looking up a lot and it would be uncomfortable and odd BUT as far as if it is possible I don't know. Last years dlps had a limited viewing angle but with this new screen that angle may have improved.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffburk View Post

I have a couple of questions regarding screen height.

My current TV is a JVC HD-70G886, which sits on top of a 35" built-in cabinet, which puts the top of the screen at 80" and the middle of the screen at 62". Modifying the cabinet to a lower height would be fairly expensive, plus I have small children who cannot reach the TV now but would probably be able to push buttons and touch the screen if the cabinet were considerably lower.

Maybe I don't know any better since I haven't seen it on a lower cabinet, or maybe my viewing tastes aren't to sophisticated, but I don't have a problem viewing the JVC at this height.

Would having the 92840 on the same cabinet (which is way too high according to the discussions on this thread and higher than I would have built the cabinet had I been buying a 92" TV rather than a 70" TV at the time), going to result in a viewing experience that most people would have a problem with?

Is the difference in viewing experience between a 35" cabinet and a 13" cabinet with the 92840 something that most people would notice?


caneaddict's Avatar caneaddict 11:02 AM 07-30-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

I was thinking about 2 ikea lack tv stand that are about 11-13 inches high without the legs and only $50!

That would be ideal except they are 59" wide. 2 of them would be 118". Anyone find a better solution yet for less than the $900 salamander?

How much would a local carpenter charge to fabricate?
Ted99's Avatar Ted99 09:43 AM 07-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by caneaddict View Post

That would be ideal except they are 59" wide. 2 of them would be 118". Anyone find a better solution yet for less than the $900 salamander?

How much would a local carpenter charge to fabricate?

If you have narrow tower speakers, have you considered putting them on the stand, one to each side of the TV? If this puts the tweeter too high, put them on the stand upside down. Then, use angle brackets to suspend a shelf between the tower speakers just below the top of the TV and use it as a center speaker shelf.
colour's Avatar colour 10:20 AM 07-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

If you have narrow tower speakers, have you considered putting them on the stand, one to each side of the TV? If this puts the tweeter too high, put them on the stand upside down. Then, use angle brackets to suspend a shelf between the tower speakers just below the top of the TV and use it as a center speaker shelf.

That's how I was going to build my stand, to allow my tower speakers to sit on the same level as the TV. I can even drop the sides down or raise them. But it will give me more space below for components. The center is almost gonna have to be above or angled up if sits below, since it's basically sitting on the floor.

You're probably better off leaving the speakers right side up then upside down even if the tweeter is too high especially if the center is above the TV.
thestewman's Avatar thestewman 11:18 AM 07-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

If you have narrow tower speakers, have you considered putting them on the stand, one to each side of the TV? If this puts the tweeter too high, put them on the stand upside down. Then, use angle brackets to suspend a shelf between the tower speakers just below the top of the TV and use it as a center speaker shelf.

Ted99
Are you considering purchasing the Mits WD-92840 ?
Have you seen the Sharp 70 and the 75" Samsung ?
gtgray's Avatar gtgray 08:26 PM 07-31-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post
Ted99
Are you considering purchasing the Mits WD-92840 ?
Have you seen the Sharp 70 and the 75" Samsung ?
I fail to see the comparability of these sets. First they are much smaller, thatn the 92, the Sharp is not tiny relatively speaking, the Sammy just small and the price for the Sammy stratosperic. If you are in the market for a 92" you are not in the market for a 70-75 inch display.

Who knows they Sammy might look great, but you are almost at the price point of the 84" Panny.

I can add a dedicated theater room to my home and buy one heck of a projector for that kind of money.
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar Cleveland Plasma 12:02 AM 08-01-2011
75" Samsung will not be released, if it was it would just be edge lit anyway which is not such a great LED display. Everything over 75" is very costly.
Wesley Hester's Avatar Wesley Hester 06:03 AM 08-01-2011
It was the size/price of the 75" Samsung that made up my mind to get the 92" Mits once and for all.

I'm getting my stand built for $300 by a cabinet maker. It is supposed to even include adjustable shelves. Will see how it turns out. I'll have to paint it myself. It's pretty much the same design as the one I posted last a few pages ago. The overall dimensions came down slightly to 80" wide by 28" deep and still 13" high. The back of the HDTV will now stick out beyond the stand which will not be seen and puts HDTV and stand pretty much in the same position on the floor in the front as they would have been if the stand was 32" deep. I had to shave off 2 inches of width to better fit the speaker stands I intend to use on both sides (will still be a tight fit).

I have my Mits WD-73638 really dialed in and I've really been enjoying it and will hate to see it go. My brother has agreed to take it and some other components I'm upgrading, including speakers, for a fair price. Will have to educate him on slow "turn ons" and bulb replacements.
Ted99's Avatar Ted99 09:10 AM 08-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by thestewman View Post

Ted99
Are you considering purchasing the Mits WD-92840 ?
Have you seen the Sharp 70 and the 75" Samsung ?

Jury's out. What I'm reading about the new "Elite" Sharp 70" looks good. My wife really prefers the sharpness of the 60" LCD that Sony gave us in place of the RP Qualia to that of the 70" RP SXRD. I like it for the better picture on BBC America and the Syfi channel, as well. On the other hand, the sheer size of the 92" Mits (my room is OK for it) and the superior 3D performance of DLP keeps it in the mix. The downside is use of a lamp and wobulation. I have a dedicated HT with a 3-chip DLP FP to a 12' screen, so netflix BR movies go there.

For regular TV watching, I think 70" is "big enough", though if I can get bigger and similar PQ for the same money, bigger is good. Pricing is the key. After my Sony Qualia experience, I really feel stupid having paid $13K, and $5K is now my upper limit. I'll live with the 60" Sony LCD for a while as the market for big TV's matures. Suppose the 70" Sharp Elite is $4K in a year (or even now). Suppose Mits has a bigger than 75" Laserview witout wobulation for $4K. Suppose Samsung actually releases the 75" LCD for $4K, given other competition? To my eye, there isn't much difference between 70" and 75". On the other hand there is a significant difference between 70" and 82" or 92". I jumped on the Sony Qualia too soon. Not going to make that mistake again.

I'm following all these threads closely for information and posting when I think I can add to the discussion.

As to stands and placement of center speakers. I first had my center above the Qualia, and then below. Below placement does not image as well as above. Particularly so with putting center speakers practically on the floor in 13-17" tall stands.
Wesley Hester's Avatar Wesley Hester 05:20 PM 08-01-2011
That's true. The base of the HDTV that will actually touch any stand is 40.2" wide by 20.5" deep.
Bill's Avatar Bill 05:28 PM 08-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

That's true. The base of the HDTV that will actually touch any stand is 40.2" wide by 20.5" deep.

I deleted the post but this is in reference to- http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...706#/40105707/ The way I'd go with the wheels and the 220lbs capacity.
Tags: Displays , Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 92840 92 Inch 1080p 3d Projection Tv , Projectors
First ... 17  18  19 20  21  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop