post #721 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted99 View Post

As regards lamp wattage and heat--The 70" Sony Qualia uses a 200W lamp and was never "brightness challenged", but it has had near universal optical block failures which have usually been attributed to heat damage to the polarizing filters.

I recall that the Hunter "Duette" shades offered an energy-saving option with a silver coating inside the honeycomb. Should do a pretty good job of light blocking with a good WAF because of the exterior color options.

I was a big LCOS fan, but heat was a problem for the optical engines for sure. The way in which heat affects the LCOS engine is different than how it affects the DLP engine, but in both case materials that make up the respective engines are impacted by heat, potentially degrading.

gtgray's post above brings up another problem with brighter bulbs which is undoubtedly true. Engineers are always juggling multiple factors, and make designs which are hopefully optimal, but rarely perfect.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 08:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

...My guess has been that going higher would cross some limit for energy star, which they always make a big deal about.

That's also true, based on my phone conversations with Mits a year or so ago regarding the choice of bulb for the 82 inch. Like I said...multiple factors.
post #723 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marine92104 View Post

Wow thanks for the comment. Very crude by the way.

It doesn't make my house look like I'm hiding a meth lab. From the outside it looks like shades. It's white on the outside.

I tried the blackout materials on the curtains but it still lets light in. It's the only thing I've found to have a totally darkened room doing the daytime.

It's simple to take them off. Takes about 5 seconds to take off. Fold & store in a closet. Press them to the window when you total blackout for a movie.

I was only mentioning it because people were nervous about the reflections on the Mitsubishi. In a completely darkened room in the daytime it would definitely take care of that.

Don't take it so personally, they're just not practical. It would be a pain to get behind my window treatments to install and remove them. What if I use them to watch a movie take them down and another family member wants to use the display and I have to put them up again. For smaller windows with easy access, no window treatments maybe.
post #724 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 12:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

Don't take it so personally, they're just not practical. It would be a pain to get behind my window treatments to install and remove them. What if I use them to watch a movie take them down and another family member wants to use the display and I have to put them up again. For smaller windows with easy access, no window treatments maybe.

You can always get blackout curtains, which can be stylish, look like ordinary curtains, and really keep out light. I used to have them for my bedroom. But that window really needs subduing, IMO.
post #725 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 01:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

You can always get blackout curtains, which can be stylish, look like ordinary curtains, and really keep out light. I used to have them for my bedroom. But that window really needs subduing, IMO.

I'm not actually looking for a solution as I said I have 1 large window that has $600 in window treatments so I needed something that would disappear and easy to manage. I had a custom pull down shade made, the sides and top are covered by the existing treatments. When up it's completely hidden.
post #726 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 01:18 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofears View Post

Gruson,

If you find that video please post the link...Thanks!

The video is right on the same page:

http://www.shopnbc.com/OnAir/Program...howid=13104103

just click the "video" link under the 92". i just watched the video under the $5499 offer - images of the TV start at 3:25. I have to say, it does not look very bright or sharp at all. I know that's in a well lit studio but the image just doesn't look great.
post #727 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 01:42 PM

ShopNBC will have another Show tonight on the Mitsubishi's from 9:30 to 11:00 pm (central time)
post #728 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 02:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caneaddict View Post

just click the "video" link under the 92". i just watched the video under the $5499 offer - images of the TV start at 3:25. I have to say, it does not look very bright or sharp at all. I know that's in a well lit studio but the image just doesn't look great.

When I clicked on the 92 inch the demo guy kept talking about the 73 inch model, which is what he appeared to be standing in front of. On the legend next to the video the ads flipped from the 73, to the 82, to the 92, while the video remained the same.

At any rate, that studio setting is not at all ideal, with so much ambient light. Moreover you have no idea of the settings on the set.

If you do a search for the 92 on Bing or Google video you will see videos which look much better. ViktorNacht's stills look better.
post #729 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 02:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I don't have any problem if you don't find it practical for your room.

For mine it works fine. I did have a problem with your meth lab comment. I thought it was totally uncalled for & offensive.

I'm glad it helped SquirrelyBama.

There are certain rooms it works for & for certain people it is practical.

I've tried blackout curtains & it still lets a little light into the room during the daytime. With these it gives total blackout & I can watch a movie in the middle of the day & the room is totally dark. It reminds you of being in a movie theater.

In the future if you find something impratical don't say it reminds you of something you'd find in a meth lab. It is very offensive to people that own them & do find them pratical & it works for them.

I'm looking forward to more pictures of the 92 in action. Has anyone tried it with 3d yet. Also is there any noise in the picture being such a large screen. I read in a review of a past Mitsubishi 82" where they said it had noise in the picture.
post #730 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I've tried blackout curtains & it still lets a little light into the room during the daytime. With these it gives total blackout & I can watch a movie in the middle of the day & the room is totally dark. It reminds you of being in a movie theater.

If you get blackout curtains that are long enough, and wide enough, they do a great job.

Obviously your solution is the most effective in that they are flush, and completely opaque.
post #731 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

When I clicked on the 92 inch the demo guy kept talking about the 73 inch model, which is what he appeared to be standing in front of. On the legend next to the video the ads flipped from the 73, to the 82, to the 92, while the video remained the same.

At any rate, that studio setting is not at all ideal, with so much ambient light. Moreover you have no idea of the settings on the set.

If you do a search for the 92 on Bing or Google video you will see videos which look much better. ViktorNacht's stills look better.

that's weird, now it doesn't work at all. Before, yes it started with 73" but at 3:30 they spent a good deal of time in front of the 92" discussing it.
post #732 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't have any problem if you don't find it practical for your room.

For mine it works fine. I did have a problem with your meth lab comment. I thought it was totally uncalled for & offensive.

In the future if you find something impratical don't say it reminds you of something you'd find in a meth lab. It is very offensive to people that own them & do find them pratical & it works for them.

I'm not gonna worry about my comments being offensive towards people with thin skin, it was meant as a humorous comment not a personal attack. I guess I need these on all my comments.....
post #733 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Yeah, I got to it now...took me to makeup video first time..sigh.
post #734 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 06:40 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWP123 View Post

Yep. Sorry I've been absent. The room dimensions are 15' wide by about 27' deep. The seating is set at around 13' from the tv. And yes, the existing tv is a JVC 70" Lcos model. And so, the potential glare for the Mits is a reality it sounds like. Looks like I'll be looking into some room darkening materials for those windows. Good times. Thanks to all for your input.

So we have the before pic, don't forget to add the after pic
post #735 of 1927 Old 08-14-2011, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

So we have the before pic, don't forget to add the after pic

Chris,

What's your opinion so far on the set? Has Chad calibrated one yet? I'm sure you've opened a unit in store, how's the brightness, contrast? Compared to the 73", 82" etc.?
post #736 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
And here's the pics. First is blinds open, second is blinds closed. There's actually less light in the room with the blinds closed than the picture shows. But, I'm guessing there's still gonna be some daytime glare off the Mits screen depending on seating location. Thoughts?

Attachment 219906
Attachment 219907
Is that the Synergy Quad stand? Is so, have you ordered the TV yet? I'm anxious to find out if the TV will sit securely on that stand. The dimensions say the base of the TV is 3/4" deeper than the stand.

V
post #737 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Nacht View Post
Is that the Synergy Quad stand? Is so, have you ordered the TV yet? I'm anxious to find out if the TV will sit securely on that stand. The dimensions say the base of the TV is 3/4" deeper than the stand.

V
Yep, it's a Synergy Quad stand and it works great for my 70" JVC. I see what you are saying regarding the depth diff between the stand and the Mits (stand depth=19.75", Mits base depth=20.5"). I'm thinking that 3/4" hanging off the back end of the stand won't be a problem if I set it flush with the front. I may move it another 3/4" back from flush, which again, I'm thinking that 1 1/2" hanging off the back won't be a problem considering the total weight of the beast. I'm still worried about the glare to be honest. Glare isn't an issue with my current JVC, as the screen isn't high gloss. And the thought of having to do something to darken the room every Sunday morning when I stumble down there to watch football isn't too appetizing. Just how much glare are you seeing on yours?

------------------
Ken
JVC HD-70R1U
Denon 2805
M&K LCR750
M&K SS550
Martin Logan Dynamo
post #738 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:

Yep, it's a Synergy Quad stand and it works great for my 70" JVC. I see what you are saying regarding the depth diff between the stand and the Mits (stand depth=19.75", Mits base depth=20.5"). I'm thinking that 3/4" hanging off the back end of the stand won't be a problem if I set it flush with the front. I may move it another 3/4" back from flush, which again, I'm thinking that 1 1/2" hanging off the back won't be a problem considering the total weight of the beast. I'm still worried about the glare to be honest. Glare isn't an issue with my current JVC, as the screen isn't high gloss. And the thought of having to do something to darken the room every Sunday morning when I stumble down there to watch football isn't too appetizing. Just how much glare are you seeing on yours?

I don't know if you already saw these, but just in case the last 4 of these show a worst case scenario of a bright day in a room with south facing windows:

http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/...iktorNacht/TV/

For me, the issue isn't amount of light, it's the light source and the angle of it to the TV. I don't like living in a cave during the day, so my solution was to move the curtains over the windows that are reflecting off the screen and open the ones that aren't. Even when the room is very bright the TV is watchable with everything except darker films, like Harry Potter. I usually watch NASCAR, so I'm sure football would look great.

I personally really like the glossy screen, especially in the evening for obvious reasons. I also like the idea of using the same lamp as the more common smaller models, just in case this size is discontinued. This is the main reason I ordered the TV sight unseen, as I was happy to deal with the gloss knowing I would have a supply of lamps for some time.

V
post #739 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 05:22 PM

Quote:

I don't know if you already saw these, but just in case the last 4 of these show a worst case scenario of a bright day in a room with south facing windows:

http://s1101.photobucket.com/albums/...iktorNacht/TV/

For me, the issue isn't amount of light, it's the light source and the angle of it to the TV. I don't like living in a cave during the day, so my solution was to move the curtains over the windows that are reflecting off the screen and open the ones that aren't. Even when the room is very bright the TV is watchable with everything except darker films, like Harry Potter. I usually watch NASCAR, so I'm sure football would look great.

I personally really like the glossy screen, especially in the evening for obvious reasons. I also like the idea of using the same lamp as the more common smaller models, just in case this size is discontinued. This is the main reason I ordered the TV sight unseen, as I was happy to deal with the gloss knowing I would have a supply of lamps for some time.

V

Very good points Victor, and thanks for the picture link. Regarding the Synergy stand, I can tell you it is a very well built piece of furniture, and to me, quite good looking. It looks as good or better in person as it does on the website. I have no worries that the 92" Mits will fit on there nicely, it's a really solid piece of furniture. Just give yourself an hour or two to put it together.

So, no regrets on your purchase of the Mits? You haven't seen anything weird pop up have you, meaning it's all working as it should? (I believe you're the only one on here who has received one).

------------------
Ken
JVC HD-70R1U
Denon 2805
M&K LCR750
M&K SS550
Martin Logan Dynamo
post #740 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM

Quote:

So, no regrets on your purchase of the Mits? You haven't seen anything weird pop up have you, meaning it's all working as it should? (I believe you're the only one on here who has received one).

No regrets and no surprises yet, buuuut, I do see some bowing in the Cox onscreen guide that I need to snap and post for advice. My biggest disappointment is how poorly Cox compresses HD content, especially animation.
post #741 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 05:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Pinnacle stand and 92" ordered today. Pics coming sometime next week, can't wait!
post #742 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post

Pinnacle stand and 92" ordered today. Pics coming sometime next week, can't wait!

Where did you order the Pinnacle from?
post #743 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 06:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Where did you order the Pinnacle from?

Ordered it direct for $399 shipped. The guy I worked with was Paul, very good guy.
post #744 of 1927 Old 08-15-2011, 09:19 PM

Viktor thanks for the pics. It looks great in action.

Can't wait to see it in person. Keep the pics & your impressions coming.
post #745 of 1927 Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Just got mine delivered a few minutes ago. The beast!
post #746 of 1927 Old 08-16-2011, 09:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Just got mine delivered a few minutes ago. The breast!

Nice! Pics if you can.

Looks like you meant beast but have breasts on your mind.
post #747 of 1927 Old 08-16-2011, 09:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gruson View Post

Nice! Pics if you can.

Yes. Please keep us abreast of all developments.
post #748 of 1927 Old 08-16-2011, 09:53 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 394
Quote:

Chris,

What's your opinion so far on the set? Has Chad calibrated one yet? I'm sure you've opened a unit in store, how's the brightness, contrast? Compared to the 73", 82" etc.?

Have not had a whole lot of play time on these as of yet. We will have to get Chad on over at some point to post his thoughts
post #749 of 1927 Old 08-16-2011, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
You are correct, it was a cellphone auto correction. I meant beast.
post #750 of 1927 Old 08-16-2011, 10:46 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 138
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

You are correct, it was a cellphone auto collection. I meant beast.

Followed by another one . Gotta love all these new toys that are supposed to make our lives easier. LOL
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 92840 92 Inch 1080p 3d Projection Tv , Projectors
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page