Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

Maybe they partnered or licensed with these guys that haven't done much lately:

http://www.hdi3d.com/index.html

I'm not sure. Would be nice to know what sizes they are thinking about.

The HDI3D "possibility", though totally speculative, was really interesting. In one of the articles linked on their website (which features front projectors prominently) there was a discussion about a 103 inch panel which presents two 1080P images employed in a passive 3-D arrangement. This kind of technology would be competitive with forthcoming 4K panels, enabling 1080P passive 3D.

Anyway, all the links are interesting. One thing is for sure... Mitsubishi needs to come up with something dramatic, and competitive, to keep up with new impending panels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1592 of 1927 Old 02-11-2012, 01:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

The HDI3D "possibility", though totally speculative, was really interesting. In one of the articles linked on their website (which features front projectors prominently) there was a discussion about a 103 inch panel which presents two 1080P images employed in a passive 3-D arrangement. This kind of technology would be competitive with forthcoming 4K panels, enabling 1080P passive 3D.

Anyway, all the links are interesting. One thing is for sure... Mitsubishi needs to come up with something dramatic, and competitive, to keep up with new impending panels.

I could live w/ a true 4k flat panel and a 4k blu ray player

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
post #1593 of 1927 Old 02-11-2012, 07:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I don't use Facebook often. When I did check it, I saw they put out a post from their Facebook page that I've Liked. It too detailed the survey about the new TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1594 of 1927 Old 02-13-2012, 11:39 AM

Liked: 10
All this talk about "flat"...my 92" is perfectly flat. I suspect what is really meant is THIN(er)?
post #1595 of 1927 Old 02-13-2012, 01:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I never got people's obsession with thin.
I grew up on clunky CRT's with curved picture tubes.
Mit's rear projections are already thin compared to that.

I think it's a publicity/sales gimmick. Thin screens get hung on a wall. That's a few feet farther away. Farther away = larger screen needed.
It's a great way to up-sell.

--
(this space for rent)
post #1596 of 1927 Old 02-13-2012, 01:16 PM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorM View Post

I never got people's obsession with thin.
I grew up on clunky CRT's with curved picture tubes.
Mit's rear projections are already thin compared to that.

I think it's a publicity/sales gimmick. Thin screens get hung on a wall. That's a few feet farther away. Farther away = larger screen needed.
It's a great way to up-sell.

Even though the majority of people never hang their TV on the wall, they've been lead to believe that it's a feature they need.
post #1597 of 1927 Old 02-17-2012, 07:08 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Can some of us who have had their sets for a few months post more of their video settings, please.

Thanks
Rustolemite

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm Studio 100's v5 + CC-690
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
post #1598 of 1927 Old 02-18-2012, 08:05 PM

I have been having a hard time finding a stand. I think I am going to have my contractor build a floating shelf. It will probably need thin cables attached from the front of the shelf to ceiling studs to hold the weight. Any thoughts?

post #1599 of 1927 Old 02-19-2012, 12:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by I like turtles View Post

I have been having a hard time finding a stand. I think I am going to have my contractor build a floating shelf. It will probably need thin cables attached from the front of the shelf to ceiling studs to hold the weight. Any thoughts?

I would have a metal frame built and bolt that to the wall studs then wrap the frame in wood of your choice. Bolt it directly to studs not through the dywall.
post #1600 of 1927 Old 02-19-2012, 05:53 AM

Liked: 39
Quote:

Depending on how close you are planning to sit, I would also be very careful about the shelf height. Your mock-up implies a fairly high mounting. The sets are a little bit forgiving in terms of vertical viewing angle, but not nearly as much so as a flat panel or a front projector. If you are planning to be 12'-14' away from your display, a shelf height of 14"-16" will work fine. I don't believe I would go any higher than that. But if you are looking for a more immersive viewing experience and planning to be somewhere around a recommended THX viewing distance of 9' 2", you will do better with a shelf height of around 12". I know that sounds awfully low, but I have studied my viewing distances and angles carefully and thoroughly in arriving at that conclusion. Several other people on this thread have reached similar conclusions.

Of course, there is no absolutely right way or wrong way to do this, and I don't mean to imply that there is. You may want to mount your display much higher than what I suggested. Just be aware that the picture quality on these DLP's is strongest toward the center of the display, and if you get the screen too high above your seated eye level, you won't see the same brightness, resolution, and clarity. Let me know if you need more detail on this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1601 of 1927 Old 02-19-2012, 06:28 AM
AVS Special Member

I know I ended up with a 13" heigh custom stand (see earlier posts). I used Google Sketchup Pro to get it the way I wanted before handing it over to a true woodworker.

I can get the HDTV to scale if I knew the width of the center column or the width of the room divider from the edge to the wall.

The HDTV itself is just under 82" wide.
LL

post #1602 of 1927 Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I know I ended up with a 13" heigh custom stand (see earlier posts). I used Google Sketchup Pro to get it the way I wanted before handing it over to a true woodworker.

I can get the HDTV to scale if I knew the width of the center column or the width of the room divider from the edge to the wall.

The HDTV itself is just under 82" wide.

Wesley,

I had interpreted the graphic to mean that the TV was to be mounted on the far wall, and perhaps with the intention for it to be visible above the room divider. Depending on how much the light could be controlled from the left of the screen, this would be a great environment for a front projector. Mounting a large fixed screen on the far wall, the screen size and height would only be dependent on the location and throw of the projector. Although as you have indicated, the scale is too large, your sketch-up helps to illustrate approximately how low the stand needs to be, relative to the size of the 92" TV, to maximize the PQ.

Mike

post #1603 of 1927 Old 02-19-2012, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

Wesley,

I had interpreted the graphic to mean that the TV was to be mounted on the far wall, and perhaps with the intention for it to be visible above the room divider. Mike

Yes the far wall that has the broom leaning is were the 92" is going. Seating distance will be about 13ft. That little wall will have a granite top and bar stools overlooking the sofa to watch the TV.

post #1604 of 1927 Old 02-20-2012, 05:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Hey Wesley,

Do you mind emailing me the file you made for your stand specs? I may have someone build me one now. Thanks!

jeffwirz@hotmail.com

On another note, can someone explain why in 3D mode the lumens or brightness (overall punch) of the set goes down so much?
post #1605 of 1927 Old 02-20-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:

Yes the far wall that has the broom leaning is were the 92" is going. Seating distance will be about 13ft. That little wall will have a granite top and bar stools overlooking the sofa to watch the TV.

You have a very nice home theater area there. It should be great. I have been giving some thought to your shelf, and if you don't mind I would like to share some reflections. If I were you, I would build a custom stand rather than a shelf for your TV. There are several reasons why a stand might work better for you. First, you are going to need to make the shelf about 3' deep--25" for the 92840 and 10"-12" for ventilation. And the TV will need to be pulled forward on the shelf, bringing the weight forward. That means that the shelf will probably need to be supported from below anyway. Second, even with about a foot behind the TV, it will be hard to get behind the set to change connections or for minor service (such as bulb replacement). A stand can be pulled out from the wall when necessary, and will also house components and conceal wires better. Finally, although either will work fine for your 92840, who knows what you might have in 5 or 6 years, and a permanent shelf, designed specifically for your current TV, may be a liability then. A simple custom stand, as several of us have had made, shouldn't cost much more than a shelf and will probably serve you much better.

post #1606 of 1927 Old 02-20-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

I think that flat panels look sleek and ergonomic, but so far at least, I actually prefer watching DLP, because I like the film look. In a few years who knows what our options will be, but right now we have both the size/price ratio and the easier-on-the-eyes quality going for us. Life is good!

Me as well. I own Mits all the way around- WD65737 and a HC3000 projector. I wish, wish, wish that Mits would get on the LED train though. It's well past time to dump the lamps.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #1607 of 1927 Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKaram View Post

Even though the majority of people never hang their TV on the wall, they've been lead to believe that it's a feature they need.

IMO, it's more important to the female demographic. But I agree. I'm much more concerned about PQ than form factor.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling that thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse. The person who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a...
post #1608 of 1927 Old 03-06-2012, 07:03 PM

Ok it's here and now I can't take it out of the box for about two weeks.

post #1609 of 1927 Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Congratulations.

post #1610 of 1927 Old 03-06-2012, 07:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 101
Quote:

Dang its big!

No subwoofer I've heard has been able to produce the bass I've experienced in the Corps!

Must..stop...buying...every bluray release...
post #1611 of 1927 Old 03-06-2012, 07:54 PM
AVS Special Member

That would be ideal. I've mentioned it before but having my components so low is the only thing I don't like about my stand being 13" high. I was using a tall component rack that unfortunately wouldn't fit along side the 92". If you have the space in your plans for the room, I could totally see doing it like hellokitbills said.

post #1612 of 1927 Old 03-06-2012, 08:51 PM

Quote:

you really should open the box and power it up. wouldn't it suck if it were DOA and it had sat there for two weeks before you found out?

Paul Theodoropoulos
post #1613 of 1927 Old 03-16-2012, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by anastrophe View Post

you really should open the box and power it up. wouldn't it suck if it were DOA and it had sat there for two weeks before you found out?

Start it up and give it a watch/walk thru, do the firmware upgrade and look at the screen for imperfections.
post #1614 of 1927 Old 03-17-2012, 07:01 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

How did you get the lift truck into the house
post #1615 of 1927 Old 03-17-2012, 10:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like a dolly was used on one end. The other end could be handled by two of more people.

post #1616 of 1927 Old 05-02-2012, 08:29 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 384 Post(s)
Liked: 585
You are 100% right about that, always inspect goods when they come in.

--These units took a really, really, really big price drop.

Forum Sponsor // \\

1-866-651-0049 // \\

/
/

/

/
post #1617 of 1927 Old 05-02-2012, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

You are 100% right about that, always inspect goods when they come in.

--These units took a really, really, really big price drop.

I noticed some of the price-drops in the last three weeks. Am wondering if it only applies to "re-furbished" units.

Am also waiting for the specs on WD-92842 to be published. I did find the operator's manual online and don't see much of a big-deal there. Only noteable thing I could discern was some audio EQx and room correction.
post #1618 of 1927 Old 05-04-2012, 10:14 AM

Hi all, read all 54 pages and haven't quite gotten the info I'm looking for. With the recent price drops, I picked this up online for less than half retail, free shipping, and not much more for a 5yr in home warranty. Hopefully it will arrive within the next week.

My question concerns the black level performance, particularity how dark a completely black image can go. It's an hour drive for me to see one in person but I've managed to view it twice. On the first viewing the image looked great with no noticeable drawbacks. Yeah, I could see myself from 10' away when it was off, but not at all when it was on. On the 2nd viewing I had the sales rep switch the movie from a Pixar film to Tron primarily to view low light scenes and unfortunately, it wasn't very impressive. The guy didn't know much about adjusting the pic but seemed to change all the usual settings such as contrast, brightness, lamp mode, etc. I've read on this form someone mentioned the black bars from movies are indistinguishable from the TV frame and that's no where near what I saw. A completely black image was dark grey. My question is, does that sound about right for this TV, or was there another setting we missed?

By comparison, I looked at an all black scene on my 08 Samsung LCD (also a glass front) and I would have to nearly double the brightness to get to where I remember the 92840 being. Is this just a characteristic of DLP's?

If that's all the darker it goes, hopefully I'll be so immersed by the sheer size I won't be distracted by low light scenes. Thanks for your help!
post #1619 of 1927 Old 05-04-2012, 10:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoTuned View Post

Hi all, read all 54 pages and haven't quite gotten the info I'm looking for. With the recent price drops, I picked this up online for less than half retail, free shipping, and not much more for a 5yr in home warranty. Hopefully it will arrive within the next week.

My question concerns the black level performance, particularity how dark a completely black image can go. It's an hour drive for me to see one in person but I've managed to view it twice. On the first viewing the image looked great with no noticeable drawbacks. Yeah, I could see myself from 10' away when it was off, but not at all when it was on. On the 2nd viewing I had the sales rep switch the movie from a Pixar film to Tron primarily to view low light scenes and unfortunately, it wasn't very impressive. The guy didn't know much about adjusting the pic but seemed to change all the usual settings such as contrast, brightness, lamp mode, etc. I've read on this form someone mentioned the black bars from movies are indistinguishable from the TV frame and that's no where near what I saw. A completely black image was dark grey. My question is, does that sound about right for this TV, or was there another setting we missed?

By comparison, I looked at an all black scene on my 08 Samsung LCD (also a glass front) and I would have to nearly double the brightness to get to where I remember the 92840 being. Is this just a characteristic of DLP's?

If that's all the darker it goes, hopefully I'll be so immersed by the sheer size I won't be distracted by low light scenes. Thanks for your help!

Use a 6500k bias light behind the display.

Just another blank signature.
post #1620 of 1927 Old 05-10-2012, 05:25 PM

finally pulled the trigger on this unit. watched prices since early january. Walt's consistently had best prices, and they're an authorized reseller. prices started inching down again finally last week, and early this week, the 92" disappeared from the Walt's website - and simultaneously showed back up on Amazon with Walt's as the reseller, listing '3 remaining'. that told me that this is likely the last wave of last year's model before this year's model displaces it, so it was time to either go big or stay home.

should arrive next week. now i'm trying to figure out how my wife and i will get it into our house (got free 'curb-side' delivery only).

bought the Bell'o NT2147 stand with it. Might be a tad high, but it's the only one that looks good to me, and doesn't have a center post (that's where my center channel speaker will go).

hope it has current firmware.

Paul Theodoropoulos
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 92840 92 Inch 1080p 3d Projection Tv , Projectors
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page