AVS Forum banner
253K views 2K replies 216 participants last post by  yesrushdt 
#1 ·
#1,619 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvoTuned /forum/post/21984579

Hi all, read all 54 pages and haven't quite gotten the info I'm looking for. With the recent price drops, I picked this up online for less than half retail, free shipping, and not much more for a 5yr in home warranty. Hopefully it will arrive within the next week.

My question concerns the black level performance, particularity how dark a completely black image can go. It's an hour drive for me to see one in person but I've managed to view it twice. On the first viewing the image looked great with no noticeable drawbacks. Yeah, I could see myself from 10' away when it was off, but not at all when it was on. On the 2nd viewing I had the sales rep switch the movie from a Pixar film to Tron primarily to view low light scenes and unfortunately, it wasn't very impressive. The guy didn't know much about adjusting the pic but seemed to change all the usual settings such as contrast, brightness, lamp mode, etc. I've read on this form someone mentioned the black bars from movies are indistinguishable from the TV frame and that's no where near what I saw. A completely black image was dark grey. My question is, does that sound about right for this TV, or was there another setting we missed?

By comparison, I looked at an all black scene on my 08 Samsung LCD (also a glass front) and I would have to nearly double the brightness to get to where I remember the 92840 being. Is this just a characteristic of DLP's?

If that's all the darker it goes, hopefully I'll be so immersed by the sheer size I won't be distracted by low light scenes. Thanks for your help!

Use a 6500k bias light behind the display.

#1,620 ·
finally pulled the trigger on this unit. watched prices since early january. Walt's consistently had best prices, and they're an authorized reseller. prices started inching down again finally last week, and early this week, the 92" disappeared from the Walt's website - and simultaneously showed back up on Amazon with Walt's as the reseller, listing '3 remaining'. that told me that this is likely the last wave of last year's model before this year's model displaces it, so it was time to either go big or stay home.

should arrive next week. now i'm trying to figure out how my wife and i will get it into our house (got free 'curb-side' delivery only).

bought the Bell'o NT2147 stand with it. Might be a tad high, but it's the only one that looks good to me, and doesn't have a center post (that's where my center channel speaker will go).

hope it has current firmware.

#1,621 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastrophe /forum/post/22009022

finally pulled the trigger on this unit. watched prices since early january. Walt's consistently had best prices, and they're an authorized reseller. prices started inching down again finally last week, and early this week, the 92" disappeared from the Walt's website - and simultaneously showed back up on Amazon with Walt's as the reseller, listing '3 remaining'. that told me that this is likely the last wave of last year's model before this year's model displaces it, so it was time to either go big or stay home.

should arrive next week. now i'm trying to figure out how my wife and i will get it into our house (got free 'curb-side' delivery only).

bought the Bell'o NT2147 stand with it. Might be a tad high, but it's the only one that looks good to me, and doesn't have a center post (that's where my center channel speaker will go).

hope it has current firmware.

I purchased from Walt's, no complaints whatsoever. I was very pleased w/ their service.

#1,622 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by I like turtles /forum/post/21744801

Ok it's here and now I can't take it out of the box for about two weeks.

Wow.....I've been kicking the idea of a DLP for some time, and now this 92" is pushing it closer and closer. You have no idea how big the smile on my face was when seeing the picture of that box.

Unfortunately, I don't have room for it now, but when I have a new house, with a finished basement in the next 2-3 years, one of these will be there.

In the mean-time, I have some friends that would love a 92" at Paul's discounted price.

#1,623 ·
question for current owners of the wd-92840: mine is showing up monday afternoon. unless i hire a neighborhood teen to help us out, it's just me and my wife to jockey this thing into the house (and i'd rather draw as little attention to the tv as possible, so inviting a local kid to help is...undesireable). so, i'm probably going to pick up a simple four wheel padded dolly at the local homedepot, they measure 30" x 18", which seems about the right size for the 40" x 20" base of the tv...IF that plastic base is a smooth, flat surface underneath. if it's one of those hollowed out plastic spaces, or not flat, then the dolly might be a colossal fail. we have two steps to roll the thing up into the house from the garage, figure a good long plank of plywood should do the trick. lifting the whole thing onto the 18" tall stand...well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

so, tl;dr - is that plastic base of the tv a nice smooth, flat, solid piece of plastic?

#1,624 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastrophe /forum/post/22012331

question for current owners of the wd-92840: mine is showing up monday afternoon. unless i hire a neighborhood teen to help us out, it's just me and my wife to jockey this thing into the house (and i'd rather draw as little attention to the tv as possible, so inviting a local kid to help is...undesireable). so, i'm probably going to pick up a simple four wheel padded dolly at the local homedepot, they measure 30" x 18", which seems about the right size for the 40" x 20" base of the tv...IF that plastic base is a smooth, flat surface underneath. if it's one of those hollowed out plastic spaces, or not flat, then the dolly might be a colossal fail. we have two steps to roll the thing up into the house from the garage, figure a good long plank of plywood should do the trick. lifting the whole thing onto the 18" tall stand...well, we'll cross that bridge when we get to it!

so, tl;dr - is that plastic base of the tv a nice smooth, flat, solid piece of plastic?

We got ours last Fri and let me tell you that you will need someone other then your wife to help you. It took myself and 2 of my adult neighbors to get it into my house. This thing is heavy at just over 200lbs without the box. If at all possible I would suggest leaving it in the box until you get it in the house.

The bottom plastic is not the best option as it is a little unstable but can get the job done if your careful. Hope this helps. BTW its an awesome TV!

#1,625 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyknoxsvill /forum/post/22012931

We got ours last Fri and let me tell you that you will need someone other then your wife to help you. It took myself and 2 of my adult neighbors to get it into my house. This thing is heavy at just over 200lbs without the box. If at all possible I would suggest leaving it in the box until you get it in the house.

The bottom plastic is not the best option as it is a little unstable but can get the job done if your careful. Hope this helps. BTW its an awesome TV!

TV arrived yesterday. Carrier was kind enough to use pallet truck to roll it into garage. from there, used some furniture sliders to ease it down a plywood ramp onto the dolly, then from there used plywood to ramp it up the steps from garage into hall, then rolled on successive plywood sections to the living room. Assembled the Bell'O stand that shipped with it. Asked the young man next door if he'd give us a hand, me on one side, him on the other, using these fantastic lifting straps called 'Forearm Forklift', we hoisted it up onto the stand, just the two of us!

here's a link to some photos, including historical photos of what came before it, heh.

If you bounce between the second and last photos, you'll get some idea of the size difference, both photos from approximately the same viewing position.

#1,626 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustBusiness /forum/post/22010858

Unfortunately, I don't have room for it now, but when I have a new house, with a finished basement in the next 2-3 years, one of these will be there.

in three years, you'll be looking at purchasing a 4k resolution TV of the same size for probably....the same as this unit initially retailed for.

okay, i'm dreaming, i know. probably six years for that to happen.

#1,629 ·
If you can, go see them in person to compare sizes, brightness, and screen finishes. I was set to buy a 92 until I saw the glossy finish in person. Just ordered an 82740.

#1,631 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastrophe /forum/post/22029689

possibly dumb question: is there any way to turn off the damned 'Mitsubishi Welcome' screen that's displayed when you first turn on the TV? i know i have a mitsubishi TV. inanimate objects can't welcome me. i don't need an advertisement for a product i already own!
It helps friends, relatives, and neighbors remember what to buy when you demo the TV for them.

#1,633 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaamz777 /forum/post/22028544

i'm trying to decide between the 92 or the 82, i sit 10 feet away. what do you guys think. . is the 92 too big at a 10 foot distance? i have the 73 now and it seems tiny.

After almost a year with my 73" I was really thinking I should have gone bigger myself, but alas, Mits didn't have an 82" last year without the internet garbage and built in IR....till this year the bastards! lol

When I think this though, I drag out the 27", put it in front for a minute and just think about how big it really is! Even my 52" Bravia LCD is dwarfed. I am personally sticking with it now and upgrading all surround speakers and theater chairs before I even consider going bigger.

If you have everything else i.e. chairs, badass receiver , surround sound, yeah by all means, go bigger.

#1,634 ·
is it crazy to keep a spare lamp handy? i was thinking of buying a new lamp - swap it into the tv to test it, make sure it works okay - then swap back to the lamp that shipped with it. sure, the hour indicator will be a few dozen hours incorrect - but it seems a fair tradeoff.

i've read completely contradictory things online - 'don't do it, the lamps have a shelf life' vs 'do it, it's ridiculous to think a lamp has a shelf life!'

i just don't want to find myself some day with a dead lamp, and having to pay exorbitant shipping to get a replacement quickly.

#1,636 ·
I hope this isn't inappropriate to post here, but I have been eyeing the 632 80" Sharp TV for a while now. I just bought a new house and will need something for the man cave. I was at a store the other day and they had the Mitsubishi WD-92840 92" DLP TV on display, next to the Sharp 80" LED.

Now the comparison is unfair, they are in totally different playing fields (LED and DLP), but I will say that DLP seems to have come a long way from looking at my dads 7 year old 65" Mitsubishi. They were playing a demo video on the DLP (which always looks sharper) and baseball on the Sharp- which was an unfair comparison as well, but I was surprisingly impressed with the Mitsubishi. I had always had my next TV planned on being an LED (currently on a 55" Panny Plasma), even after going to the store I decided I was leaning towards the Sharp.

My problem is that this week I noticed the 92" Mitsubishi has dropped significantly in price. I have found it as low as $2,500 on Amazon.com, which is almost 1k less than I have seen the Sharp for. I am having trouble deciding why I should pay 1k more for a TV that is 12 inches smaller. I know the Sharp looks GREAT, but I saw nothing wrong with the Mitsubishi that was on display at the store. As an extra, the Mitsubishi has 3D although I will likely never use that.

My question for the owners is this: do any of you have constructive input on which would be a better investment? I still have to furnish the entire house, so if I can get a bigger TV that will satisfy my needs for less money I am totally for it. I will be using the TV mostly for gaming, watching TV (sports), and occasional Blu-Ray with the family and friends. I think my bigger concern is gaming. I never had any problems playing on my dads 65" Mitsubishi when I was living at home, just wondering if the Sharp would be worth the upgrade for gaming, or if they would look about the same when it comes to games? Thanks for any helpful input.

#1,637 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 /forum/post/22048946

From everything that I have read, UHP lamps do not have any restrictive shelf life. They can be stored indefinitely. There is nothing that can wear out when the bulb is not used.

thanks. pretty much what i figured. at worst i could see the bulb gradually losing a little pressure as years go by - but an in-service lamp can last years, and loses pressure faster!

#1,638 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shigalosis /forum/post/22049265

I hope this isn't inappropriate to post here, but I have been eyeing the 632 80" Sharp TV for a while now. I just bought a new house and will need something for the man cave. I was at a store the other day and they had the Mitsubishi WD-92840 92" DLP TV on display, next to the Sharp 80" LED.

Now the comparison is unfair, they are in totally different playing fields (LED and DLP), but I will say that DLP seems to have come a long way from looking at my dads 7 year old 65" Mitsubishi. They were playing a demo video on the DLP (which always looks sharper) and baseball on the Sharp- which was an unfair comparison as well, but I was surprisingly impressed with the Mitsubishi. I had always had my next TV planned on being an LED (currently on a 55" Panny Plasma), even after going to the store I decided I was leaning towards the Sharp.

My problem is that this week I noticed the 92" Mitsubishi has dropped significantly in price. I have found it as low as $2,500 on Amazon.com, which is almost 1k less than I have seen the Sharp for. I am having trouble deciding why I should pay 1k more for a TV that is 12 inches smaller. I know the Sharp looks GREAT, but I saw nothing wrong with the Mitsubishi that was on display at the store. As an extra, the Mitsubishi has 3D although I will likely never use that.

My question for the owners is this: do any of you have constructive input on which would be a better investment? I still have to furnish the entire house, so if I can get a bigger TV that will satisfy my needs for less money I am totally for it. I will be using the TV mostly for gaming, watching TV (sports), and occasional Blu-Ray with the family and friends. I think my bigger concern is gaming. I never had any problems playing on my dads 65" Mitsubishi when I was living at home, just wondering if the Sharp would be worth the upgrade for gaming, or if they would look about the same when it comes to games? Thanks for any helpful input.

For gaming, the dlp will be far better than the sharp.

#1,639 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastrophe /forum/post/22048440

is it crazy to keep a spare lamp handy? i was thinking of buying a new lamp - swap it into the tv to test it, make sure it works okay - then swap back to the lamp that shipped with it. sure, the hour indicator will be a few dozen hours incorrect - but it seems a fair tradeoff.

i've read completely contradictory things online - 'don't do it, the lamps have a shelf life' vs 'do it, it's ridiculous to think a lamp has a shelf life!'

i just don't want to find myself some day with a dead lamp, and having to pay exorbitant shipping to get a replacement quickly.

I used to have a SONY KDS-R70XBR2 before I got this IMAX screen :) When I purchased the SONY new, it had come with an extra lamp along with it. 4ish years into the TV's life, I had to swap the lamps, and the new lamp which I got 4 years prior lasted me only a month when it died - blank screen. Had to get a new lamp - fortunately, it was no longer as expensive as it used to be.

Just thought I'd let you know of my experience.

#1,640 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by HT_Geek /forum/post/22050396

I used to have a SONY KDS-R70XBR2 before I got this IMAX screen :) When I purchased the SONY new, it had come with an extra lamp along with it. 4ish years into the TV's life, I had to swap the lamps, and the new lamp which I got 4 years prior lasted me only a month when it died - blank screen. Had to get a new lamp - fortunately, it was no longer as expensive as it used to be.

Just thought I'd let you know of my experience.

yeah, it's weird reports like that that give me pause. however, i figure as long as i test the bulb first - at least i'll have a spare on hand until a new one arrives....

#1,641 ·
finally got the blu-ray player, and the WOW disc. did a quick run through, most things needed only mild tweaking. however, zone plate one was horrible! it was like some bizarre modern art display. is this inherent to a dlp projector, or do i have a defect? naturally i didn't think to try taking a photo of it to post, though i'm not sure it would even show up (all i have is a standard cellphone camera).

#1,642 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastrophe /forum/post/22050749

yeah, it's weird reports like that that give me pause. however, i figure as long as i test the bulb first - at least i'll have a spare on hand until a new one arrives....

Well - the thing to keep in mind is that when a bulb is nearing it's end of life, it usually isn't an abrupt one. The screen will start appearing dim, and the dimness continues to increase as the weeks pass. It is readily apparent as well. So - you do have a lead time to make a lamp purchase before you can no longer see a picture.

#1,643 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by anastrophe /forum/post/22048440

+1 ^

I have experience with 6 DLPs between friends and family, with two of my own. While it can happen, None of us have ever experienced an abrupt lamp failure. Every lamp had appreciably dimmed to the point where one knows one needs a new one.

My logic has always been this: Due to possible defects in manufacturing, any lamp has potential to fail early, so the warranty is crucial. Every lamp gets tested in the factory to make sure that it lights (so testing it once at home doesn't guarantee a full year of use).

Buying early negates the one year warranty by the time you finally get around to replacing a worn out lamp. If the replacement lamp is bought near the replacement time and proves to be defective within a year of purchase, the warranty will cover it. If it's been sitting on your shelf for 14 months, you're out of luck, even if it pops the second time you turn it on.

While you run the risk of no TV
for a few days if a lamp goes suddenly, it's not the end of the world. Odds are, the one in use will dim enough to warn you to buy a new one, and then you can use it as a spare if the new one fails abruptly (if the first one fails abruptly, you will have no spare for the next cycle, no matter whether you bought early or not, so that's a non-issue).

Either way, once you get to the point where you have a working spare, you're set, 99%
worry free.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.