AVS Forum banner
253K views 2K replies 216 participants last post by  yesrushdt 
#1 ·
#3 ·
Nice to see a built in 3D emitter. I would assume this will carry over to the higher end models of the smaller screen sizes. No mention of full resolution 3D. We'll find out for sure this week but it looks like the 2011 models will continue to be half resolution in 3D.

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobigj /forum/post/19760209

Wow, they really are pushing DLP technology. ...

It's interesting that they are going into such a big size, they must have decided there really is a market for such monsters. But they really aren't "pushing" DLP technology. All you need to make a rear projection set bigger is move the screen a little further away from the lens, and maybe install a more powerful lamp.

#8 ·
Talk about the biggest bang for the buck .. I had never really checked out any of these latest gen Mits DLP RP's until my mother in law bought herself a 73" for Christmas .. I was impressed .. and the thing weighed in at just over 100 LBS ..

At 92", this thing will likely draw some projector customers .. no need to buy a mount or a screen ..

#10 ·
I got a 73" and while I didn't think the price increase was justified for just 82" at the time, if a 92" came in priced close to the 82" I'd definitely have to consider upgrading.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn /forum/post/19761001

Talk about the biggest bang for the buck .. I had never really checked out any of these latest gen Mits DLP RP's until my mother in law bought herself a 73" for Christmas .. I was impressed .. and the thing weighed in at just over 100 LBS ..

At 92", this thing will likely draw some projector customers .. no need to buy a mount or a screen ..

You have to have the proper room for a front projector. And a 92" screen is considered small for a front projector. Mine is 106" diagonal.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC /forum/post/19763162

You have to have the proper room for a front projector. And a 92" screen is considered small for a front projector. Mine is 106" diagonal.

I would not have made the post had I not had a full understanding of HT projection .. I personally light a 110" screen .. and there are quite a few setups that use a 92" screen .. just sayin' ..

A FP can be installed in about any room .. just depends how much you want to work with it to get it to work .. there is no proper room ..

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses /forum/post/19763478

Id be shocked and thrilled at that price. The current 82838 has an msrp 0f $4499. Im guessing it will only be available in their highest trim level and have msrp of $5999.

Yea, around $5,499 would be my guess.

#17 ·
I currently have a 56" DLP HDTV and I'm in the market for a 72" but a 92" would be even bigger/better. I'm looking at all options but the 92" is on my list with less than a half a dozen or so 72" inchers (not rear-projection).

I've included a crude size comparison that is roughly to scale showing 56" (my current HDTV) and 72" (what I'm looking at getting) in relation to the 92".

Addition: this screen size calculator puts the screen dimensions at 80" wide by 45" high (rounded figures). I marked up the corners on my wall using light-tack painters tape: man is it a massive viewing area not to be front projection.

Model WD-9284 (have also seen WD-92840), Summer 2011, $5-6K, Vudu 3D Streaming

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester /forum/post/19765299

I currently have a 56" DLP HDTV and I'm in the market for a 72" but a 92" would be even bigger/better. I'm looking at all options but the 92" is on my list with less than a half a dozen or so 72" inchers (not rear-projection).

I've included a crude size comparison that is roughly to scale showing 56" (my current HDTV) and 72" (what I'm looking at getting) in relation to the 92".

Addition: this screen size calculator puts the screen dimensions at 80" wide by 45" high (rounded figures). I marked up the corners on my wall using light-tack painters tape: man is it a massive viewing area not to be front projection.

Any idea what the sweet spot would be....the vertical center relative to the viewer's eyes...which would dictate stand height?

Of course it would be curious to know how they're going to ramp up brightness (in addition to the new screen).

Pretty cool, potentially.

#20 ·
I just got a 65738 about a month ago, but if I go any larger I'm just gonna go with a projector. Seems like it would be alot cheaper. Good 1080p projectors are, what 2-3K? From what I've read around here, building a screen should be pretty cheap, what, like $300 max?

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 /forum/post/19767245

Any idea what the sweet spot would be....the vertical center relative to the viewer's eyes...which would dictate stand height?

Of course it would be curious to know how they're going to ramp up brightness (in addition to the new screen).

Pretty cool, potentially.

To get it centered with the eye when seated would require a very short stand. Hopefully Mits has widened the light viewing angles. The set could be tilted slightly toward the viewing area: not ideal but possible with most of the weight at the base.

#22 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester
To get it centered with the eye when seated would require a very short stand. Hopefully Mits has widened the light viewing angles. The set could be tilted slightly toward the viewing area: not ideal but possible with most of the weight at the base.
Right. On the 2010 3D 738/838 thread a stand height of 8 to 12 inches in height is typically suggested for the 82. Tough or impossible to find, usually requiring a DIY job. Just curious what the height for 92 inches would be. Maybe, because it is so huge, just putting it on the floor might work.

#23 ·
Someone at Mitsubishi is thinking and needs a raise. DLP is a great technology and they need to exploit what DLP can do that LCD and plasma can't and that is go BIG! We see these crazy 100+ inch LCD and plasmas every year at CES but they are either $$$,$$$ or never made available to the public. I am looking forward to seeing this bad boy in action.

#24 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4
Right. On the 2010 3D 738/838 thread a stand height of 8 to 12 inches in height is typically suggested for the 82. Tough or impossible to find, usually requiring a DIY job. Just curious what the height for 92 inches would be. Maybe, because it is so huge, just putting it on the floor might work.
I have the 73C9 on an 18" stand (if not more now that I'm looking at it), but the picture looks fine IMO (for HD viewing) while sitting on the floor in front of my couch. I imagine the WD-9284 would be fine on an 18" stand, though I don't know how 3D would be affected.

#25 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd
Someone at Mitsubishi is thinking and needs a raise. DLP is a great technology and they need to exploit what DLP can do that LCD and plasma can't and that is go BIG! We see these crazy 100+ inch LCD and plasmas every year at CES but they are either $$$,$$$ or never made available to the public. I am looking forward to seeing this bad boy in action.
I'm down with that as well .. go big at a reasonable price .. and keep it pretty light weight in the meantime .. in fact, one could probably fabricate an on wall shelf unit for this monster to sit on ..

#26 ·
There's a $50 stand from IKEA that stands about 13" above the floor... it's as if made to measure for the 65", and will comfortably accomodate the 73" & 82" (maybe even the 92" but there's no dimension sheet released to show the pedestal width) if you aren't worried about the sides of the screen hanging over the sides of the stand.

Only negative is that the shelf is exactly the wrong height to accomodate a standard size AV Receiver, in that it does just about fit in, but there is no space for airflow from the top vents.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.