92" Mitsubishi DLP @ CES!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 06:32 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
buffalobigj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow, they really are pushing DLP technology. I wonder what price this thing is going to clock in at. It makes me wish I had more room for a bigger TV than my current 73"!

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/04/m...p-155-inch-ol/
buffalobigj is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 06:53 AM
Member
 
eRob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Posts: 90
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'll guess $3,999.99 retail. I hope they will announce a new upgraded line of 73" and 82" also.
eRob is offline  
post #3 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 07:17 AM
Senior Member
 
bcterp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 260
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Nice to see a built in 3D emitter. I would assume this will carry over to the higher end models of the smaller screen sizes. No mention of full resolution 3D. We'll find out for sure this week but it looks like the 2011 models will continue to be half resolution in 3D.
bcterp is offline  
post #4 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 08:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
davegow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: In the glorious open countryside of Eastern Ontario.
Posts: 1,686
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffalobigj View Post

Wow, they really are pushing DLP technology. ...

It's interesting that they are going into such a big size, they must have decided there really is a market for such monsters. But they really aren't "pushing" DLP technology. All you need to make a rear projection set bigger is move the screen a little further away from the lens, and maybe install a more powerful lamp.
davegow is offline  
post #5 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 08:18 AM
Senior Member
 
Jadocs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 358
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow
Jadocs is offline  
post #6 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 08:42 AM
Member
 
heyman421's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 112
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
"120Hz Sub-Frame Rate"

$#@#$(&@!%$#)(%@)*#%$@)!!!!

Looks like i'm getting a plasma after all

Would it have killed them to use a .98" dc4 dmd?
heyman421 is offline  
post #7 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 08:51 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
DavidHir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 10,196
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 377
A new "clear contrast" screen was mentioned. I wonder if this means no more silk-screen effect?

DavidHir is offline  
post #8 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 08:54 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Talk about the biggest bang for the buck .. I had never really checked out any of these latest gen Mits DLP RP's until my mother in law bought herself a 73" for Christmas .. I was impressed .. and the thing weighed in at just over 100 LBS ..

At 92", this thing will likely draw some projector customers .. no need to buy a mount or a screen ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

mgkdragn is offline  
post #9 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 09:05 AM
Advanced Member
 
kjroddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Should be a bunch of year-old or less 82" TVs popping up on the big auction site this summer
kjroddy is offline  
post #10 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 09:08 AM
AVS Special Member
 
pjb16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got a 73" and while I didn't think the price increase was justified for just 82" at the time, if a 92" came in priced close to the 82" I'd definitely have to consider upgrading.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
pjb16 is offline  
post #11 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Jim McC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Oconomowoc, WI.
Posts: 5,888
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkdragn View Post

Talk about the biggest bang for the buck .. I had never really checked out any of these latest gen Mits DLP RP's until my mother in law bought herself a 73" for Christmas .. I was impressed .. and the thing weighed in at just over 100 LBS ..

At 92", this thing will likely draw some projector customers .. no need to buy a mount or a screen ..

You have to have the proper room for a front projector. And a 92" screen is considered small for a front projector. Mine is 106" diagonal.
Jim McC is offline  
post #12 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 02:31 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

You have to have the proper room for a front projector. And a 92" screen is considered small for a front projector. Mine is 106" diagonal.

I would not have made the post had I not had a full understanding of HT projection .. I personally light a 110" screen .. and there are quite a few setups that use a 92" screen .. just sayin' ..

A FP can be installed in about any room .. just depends how much you want to work with it to get it to work .. there is no proper room ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

mgkdragn is offline  
post #13 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 02:33 PM
Advanced Member
 
njfoses's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 646
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by eRob View Post

I'll guess $3,999.99 retail. I hope they will announce a new upgraded line of 73" and 82" also.

Id be shocked and thrilled at that price. The current 82838 has an msrp 0f $4499. Im guessing it will only be available in their highest trim level and have msrp of $5999.
njfoses is offline  
post #14 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 04:21 PM
AVS Special Member
 
domingos1965's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: South Florida
Posts: 1,986
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McC View Post

You have to have the proper room for a front projector. And a 92" screen is considered small for a front projector. Mine is 106" diagonal.

and mine will be 120" diagonal
domingos1965 is offline  
post #15 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pjb16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Id be shocked and thrilled at that price. The current 82838 has an msrp 0f $4499. Im guessing it will only be available in their highest trim level and have msrp of $5999.

Yea, around $5,499 would be my guess.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
pjb16 is offline  
post #16 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member
 
rightintel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,333
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Just bought my 82838 11/8/10-SON OF A BITCH!!!

Xbox Live: General PATT0N
rightintel is offline  
post #17 of 1927 Old 01-04-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I currently have a 56" DLP HDTV and I'm in the market for a 72" but a 92" would be even bigger/better. I'm looking at all options but the 92" is on my list with less than a half a dozen or so 72" inchers (not rear-projection).

I've included a crude size comparison that is roughly to scale showing 56" (my current HDTV) and 72" (what I'm looking at getting) in relation to the 92".

Addition: this screen size calculator puts the screen dimensions at 80" wide by 45" high (rounded figures). I marked up the corners on my wall using light-tack painters tape: man is it a massive viewing area not to be front projection.

Model WD-9284 (have also seen WD-92840), Summer 2011, $5-6K, Vudu 3D Streaming
LL
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #18 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 07:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

I currently have a 56" DLP HDTV and I'm in the market for a 72" but a 92" would be even bigger/better. I'm looking at all options but the 92" is on my list with less than a half a dozen or so 72" inchers (not rear-projection).

I've included a crude size comparison that is roughly to scale showing 56" (my current HDTV) and 72" (what I'm looking at getting) in relation to the 92".

Addition: this screen size calculator puts the screen dimensions at 80" wide by 45" high (rounded figures). I marked up the corners on my wall using light-tack painters tape: man is it a massive viewing area not to be front projection.

Any idea what the sweet spot would be....the vertical center relative to the viewer's eyes...which would dictate stand height?

Of course it would be curious to know how they're going to ramp up brightness (in addition to the new screen).

Pretty cool, potentially.
taichi4 is offline  
post #19 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 07:20 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Here's a little more information on the set, including possible price:

http://www.electronichouse.com/artic...bishi_tvs/C198
taichi4 is offline  
post #20 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 08:49 AM
XRA
Member
 
XRA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 64
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just got a 65738 about a month ago, but if I go any larger I'm just gonna go with a projector. Seems like it would be alot cheaper. Good 1080p projectors are, what 2-3K? From what I've read around here, building a screen should be pretty cheap, what, like $300 max?
XRA is offline  
post #21 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 1,991
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Any idea what the sweet spot would be....the vertical center relative to the viewer's eyes...which would dictate stand height?

Of course it would be curious to know how they're going to ramp up brightness (in addition to the new screen).

Pretty cool, potentially.

To get it centered with the eye when seated would require a very short stand. Hopefully Mits has widened the light viewing angles. The set could be tilted slightly toward the viewing area: not ideal but possible with most of the weight at the base.
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #22 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 11:31 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post
To get it centered with the eye when seated would require a very short stand. Hopefully Mits has widened the light viewing angles. The set could be tilted slightly toward the viewing area: not ideal but possible with most of the weight at the base.
Right. On the 2010 3D 738/838 thread a stand height of 8 to 12 inches in height is typically suggested for the 82. Tough or impossible to find, usually requiring a DIY job. Just curious what the height for 92 inches would be. Maybe, because it is so huge, just putting it on the floor might work.
taichi4 is offline  
post #23 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
curtishd's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 1,740
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Someone at Mitsubishi is thinking and needs a raise. DLP is a great technology and they need to exploit what DLP can do that LCD and plasma can't and that is go BIG! We see these crazy 100+ inch LCD and plasmas every year at CES but they are either $$$,$$$ or never made available to the public. I am looking forward to seeing this bad boy in action.
curtishd is offline  
post #24 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
pjb16's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Katy, TX
Posts: 1,331
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post
Right. On the 2010 3D 738/838 thread a stand height of 8 to 12 inches in height is typically suggested for the 82. Tough or impossible to find, usually requiring a DIY job. Just curious what the height for 92 inches would be. Maybe, because it is so huge, just putting it on the floor might work.
I have the 73C9 on an 18" stand (if not more now that I'm looking at it), but the picture looks fine IMO (for HD viewing) while sitting on the floor in front of my couch. I imagine the WD-9284 would be fine on an 18" stand, though I don't know how 3D would be affected.

PSN - Mr_Frisch
XBL - Mr Frisch
Steam - Sneaky Pete
pjb16 is offline  
post #25 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 12:10 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post
Someone at Mitsubishi is thinking and needs a raise. DLP is a great technology and they need to exploit what DLP can do that LCD and plasma can't and that is go BIG! We see these crazy 100+ inch LCD and plasmas every year at CES but they are either $$$,$$$ or never made available to the public. I am looking forward to seeing this bad boy in action.
I'm down with that as well .. go big at a reasonable price .. and keep it pretty light weight in the meantime .. in fact, one could probably fabricate an on wall shelf unit for this monster to sit on ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

mgkdragn is offline  
post #26 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member
 
kjroddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 612
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
There's a $50 stand from IKEA that stands about 13" above the floor... it's as if made to measure for the 65", and will comfortably accomodate the 73" & 82" (maybe even the 92" but there's no dimension sheet released to show the pedestal width) if you aren't worried about the sides of the screen hanging over the sides of the stand.

Only negative is that the shelf is exactly the wrong height to accomodate a standard size AV Receiver, in that it does just about fit in, but there is no space for airflow from the top vents.
kjroddy is offline  
post #27 of 1927 Old 01-05-2011, 01:19 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
mgkdragn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Illinois, East of St Louis
Posts: 10,448
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked: 518
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjroddy View Post
There's a $50 stand from IKEA that stands about 13" above the floor... it's as if made to measure for the 65", and will comfortably accomodate the 73" & 82" (maybe even the 92" but there's no dimension sheet released to show the pedestal width) if you aren't worried about the sides of the screen hanging over the sides of the stand.

Only negative is that the shelf is exactly the wrong height to accomodate a standard size AV Receiver, in that it does just about fit in, but there is no space for airflow from the top vents.
I helped a relative place a 73" unit over the Holidays .. she bought a low stand .. the only thing I absolutely hate about it is having to kneel when changing discs .. if it were my TV, I would place the unit on a low stand and fabricate or find a shelf to wall mount at the level of the top of the TV to put the player, etc, on .. the top of the TV is too narrow to place any components on top of the set by itself ..

Oddball: Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves? Why don't you dig how beautiful it is out here? Why don't you say something righteous and hopeful for a change?

mgkdragn is offline  
post #28 of 1927 Old 01-06-2011, 09:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,221
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked: 56
Here's a first look from a WSJ CES visitor.

You don't get a good size impression from the way it's photographed, but it looks wide and bright.

http://online.wsj.com/video/ces-how-...57F1E6D9D.html
taichi4 is offline  
post #29 of 1927 Old 01-06-2011, 10:49 AM
Newbie
 
steinerms's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 12
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do we all assume that a brighter bulb would be needed? with the 82 not being all that bright wouldn't it be a good idea for the 65 and 73 to use one and the 82 and 92 to use a larger one.
steinerms is offline  
post #30 of 1927 Old 01-06-2011, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
buffalobigj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 84
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Here's a first look from a WSJ CES visitor.

You don't get a good size impression from the way it's photographed, but it looks wide and bright.

http://online.wsj.com/video/ces-how-...57F1E6D9D.html

"$5-6k for the set but undetermined at this time"... I think at that price point I would rather go projector and screen...
buffalobigj is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Displays , Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi Wd 92840 92 Inch 1080p 3d Projection Tv , Projectors
Gear in this thread

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off