Tristate Module - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Worcestershire,United Kingdom.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi.

I'm considering sending my sony SXRD KDS 70-R2000 optical block to Tristate for refurb as it has developed the green blob syndrome. It will be shipped from the UK,I've been in contact with them and they are quite happy to carryout the refurb despite it being the European version.

I will have to remove the block myself which i'm not 100% confident about doing but after downloading the service manual and removing some of the SXRD's rear covers to investigate a bit I believe I can do the job,before going ahead though I was wondering if anyone on here has used Tri-state to refurb their SXRD optical block,if so are you happy with the result and has there been any deterioation or recurrence of the green blob/haze since refurb was carried out?

Would greatly appreciate any feedback/advice.

Cheers,Smit. UK
smit is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 12 Old 01-13-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,433
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Have you posted this in the owners thread?? This is the first I heard of anyone rebuilding those. I wonder if there is an equivalent in the US?

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #3 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Worcestershire,United Kingdom.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have previously posted in the owners thread but posts get lost in there.

I specifically wanted to start a seperate thread concerning Tristate Module as they refurb light engines from all makes and models of TV not just Sony SXRD,they seem to be one of very few companies carrying out these refurbs so I was hoping some members here would have used them and could give me some first hand information on their experience in dealing with them and the quality/longevity of refurb carried out.
smit is offline  
post #4 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 06:01 AM
Member
 
DanF66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 17
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smit View Post

I specifically wanted to start a seperate thread concerning Tristate Module as they refurb light engines from all makes and models of TV not just Sony SXRD.

Do you know this to be the case that they're refurbishing optical blocks for ALL models? I ask because I inquired about it with them about a year or so ago about whether they'd be doing refurbs for the Qualia 006 (KDS-70Q006) SXRD set, and they were non-committal. I occasionally check their website to see if its optical block part number shows up, signaling their willingness to refurbish it, but it hasn't.

Dan
DanF66 is offline  
post #5 of 12 Old 01-14-2011, 07:07 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Worcestershire,United Kingdom.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Whether they refurbish every model under the sun I'm not sure, but according to their site they repair many different makes and models.

Mine is one they do repair and they have confirmed this with me, so I'm looking for anyone that has had an SXRD or similar light engine repaired by them to give me some info on their experiences before I dismantle my set and send the light engine halfway round the world. Surely someone on here has used them.
smit is offline  
post #6 of 12 Old 01-31-2011, 10:17 PM
Member
 
cnewlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by smit View Post

Hi.

I'm considering sending my sony SXRD KDS 70-R2000 optical block to Tristate for refurb as it has developed the green blob syndrome. It will be shipped from the UK,I've been in contact with them and they are quite happy to carryout the refurb despite it being the European version.

I will have to remove the block myself which i'm not 100% confident about doing but after downloading the service manual and removing some of the SXRD's rear covers to investigate a bit I believe I can do the job,before going ahead though I was wondering if anyone on here has used Tri-state to refurb their SXRD optical block,if so are you happy with the result and has there been any deterioation or recurrence of the green blob/haze since refurb was carried out?

Would greatly appreciate any feedback/advice.

Cheers,Smit. UK

Hi Smit,

I have a KDS-60XBR1 that developed the green blob syndrome. I pulled the OB (took about one hour and sent it into tristate. Initially they mentioned it would take about three weeks to repair but wound up taking close to five. When I called to ask about the delay they told me they were wanting on parts - not a big deal. They were extremely courteous on the phone. They did a fantastic repair job. This past weekend I put the OB back in and reassembled everything and my TV came back to color perfect life. I did have to adjust the color and tint settings on the various profiles. I would definitely recommend TSM - Great customer service !

Craig
cnewlander is offline  
post #7 of 12 Old 02-01-2011, 05:20 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,433
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 165
cnewlander; Have you looked here?;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1310024

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #8 of 12 Old 02-01-2011, 11:47 AM
Member
 
cnewlander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Posts: 41
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

cnewlander; Have you looked here?;

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1310024


Hi Bruce,

Nope, but thank you for the reference. I'm a total newb to tv repair; is there something there I should be latching onto?

Thanks,

Craig
cnewlander is offline  
post #9 of 12 Old 02-02-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
videobruce's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Buffalo NY
Posts: 15,433
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 314 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Look for a thread on your model series (here or at the site in my 4th post) and see if anyone else posted something about your situation.
Get the Service Manual.
I'm not familiar with what is being done with the replacement/rebuilt modules. There might be another jobber that is rebuilding them.

.
.
Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
videobruce is offline  
post #10 of 12 Old 02-02-2011, 06:00 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Worcestershire,United Kingdom.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnewlander View Post

Hi Smit,

I have a KDS-60XBR1 that developed the green blob syndrome. I pulled the OB (took about one hour and sent it into tristate. Initially they mentioned it would take about three weeks to repair but wound up taking close to five. When I called to ask about the delay they told me they were wanting on parts - not a big deal. They were extremely courteous on the phone. They did a fantastic repair job. This past weekend I put the OB back in and reassembled everything and my TV came back to color perfect life. I did have to adjust the color and tint settings on the various profiles. I would definitely recommend TSM - Great customer service !

Craig

Hi Crewlander.

Thanks for the feedback mate,very encouraging news indeed.

Did Tri-state give you any info regarding the refurb,such as the use of any upgraded parts/materials from the original Sony spec which may increase longevity of the OB?

I'll be shipping from the U.K so charges are likely to be high,can you remember the approximate shipping weight of your OB? Sorry for all the questions.

I hope you enjoy your rejuvinated SXRD mate! All The Best.
smit is offline  
post #11 of 12 Old 07-18-2011, 07:36 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
smit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Worcestershire,United Kingdom.
Posts: 21
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Received my refurbed light engine here in the UK from Tristate on Friday, reinstalled it and re-assembled TV. Turned TV on with some trepidation as it's the first light engine I've ever installed, but Wow!! what a picture, colours are superb again, looks better than new imo.

So pleased I went down this repair route now as opposed to being fleeced by Sony UK for almost a grand (£). If anyone is on the fence regarding their Sony light engine repair I wouldn't hesitate in recommending the services of Tristate Module, you really get value for money, which, lets face it...... in this day and age is a very rare thing.

I'm raising a glass to TSM! and God bless the US of A!!! you helped me out where my own countrymen only wanted to rip me off.

Cheers!
smit is offline  
post #12 of 12 Old 11-01-2011, 06:53 PM
Member
 
MaBek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 19
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Tri-State module is not someone I can recommend to do business with. When my optical block went out, I scrapped my TV out and contacted TSM to see if they were interested in buying the optical block so they could rebuild it and resell it. They replied yes and that they would give me $50 for it. I spent a good hour removing it from my TV, carefully packaging it, and mailing it to them. That was 5 months ago and I have still not received my money. I contacted them numerous times and would never get a reply back from them. I filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau and TSM keeps promising to pay me (only to satisfy the BBB), although they never have to date. I know its only $50, but is the principle that you should be able to trust a business such as this. Bad and unethical of them to treat a customer like this.
MaBek is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off