Replacement bulb? Avoid Pureglare.com - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 10:12 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I purchased a replacement bulb for my 2004 Samsung DLP from pureglare.com on January 6th. They took their time sending out the bulb. I finally got it and it flickered. I know, cheap bulb. I sent it back to them (I had to pay for shipping) and they have had it since January 19th and I still have not gotten a refund from them.

If you need a replacement bulb, avoid pureglare.com. They sell crappy bulbs and then they keep your money. I have a paypal claim that I filed, but that will take a while to process and who knows if I will get the full refund from these people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-07-2011, 11:08 AM

Liked: 10
Pay Pal is the only way to pay on the net. You should not have any trouble getting your money back. When ever i put in a claim it only took 3-4 days and have got a refund every time i have filed a dispute and thats only 2-3 times. Dont worry if it was defective you will have no problem at all. Good luck
post #3 of 11 Old 02-08-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 100
You should of gotten a 'Lamp' and you should of looked through the lamp replacement thread listed in the sticky.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #4 of 11 Old 03-17-2011, 11:05 PM

attention!
they ship cheap bad-quality chinese bulbs and they never tell you what product you are buying!
post #5 of 11 Old 11-30-2011, 10:26 AM

I wish I would have found this forum before ordering from pureglare.com

the first bulb lasted 9 months, the second lasted 3 days and the third bulb lasted 11 days. They try and blame the manufacturer of the TV in this case Toshiba but I finally got the guy to admit they got a "bad batch" from China.

They don't deliver anything they advertise like same day shipping, etc.. Buyer beware!
post #6 of 11 Old 12-01-2011, 07:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 27
I have a Toshiba DLP set and it will only work reliably with Toshiba branded lamps.

Tried others and they work for anywhere from a week to a month. After that, they all develop problems igniting.

If you buy a lamp from Toshiba it is considerably more expensive. They do come with a 6 month warranty. I buy them with a credit card that doubles the manufacturer's warranty, so I'm covered for a full year.

Toshiba lamps never have ignition problems in my set. The lifespan of their lamps, however, is about a year.
post #7 of 11 Old 06-04-2012, 03:04 PM

Bought a new bulb from them knowing my bulb would burn out soon. Checked the box and lamp it all looked good. Bulb went out, I went to replace with the one I bought from them and the bulb was just slightly diffrent the the one I had. All #'s matched. WHen I called, they said it was past the 90 day period they could not help me but did say they had issues like this before and I was out of luck because the 90 days have passed. THey made two diffrent bulbs with the same #...
post #8 of 11 Old 07-31-2012, 01:00 PM

I realize this is preaching to the choir, but I'm trying to write this everywhere:

Do NOT, I repeat, do NOT, use this company!!!

I had 3 projector bulb replacements in 5 months. None of them lasting longer than 20 hours (supposed to last 3000). The last one lasted a grand total of 5 days.

They would always cheerfully replace my bulb (return postage was my expense (which is wrong)) until the 5 month warranty ran out. No dice after that.

All that to say, this place is a racket. They may seem inexpensive, but $180 for < 50 hours of a bulb that should go 3000+ is wrong, wrong, wrong!!

Don't do it!! You'll be disappointed!!
post #9 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 10:38 AM

DO NOT buy from pureglare.com! Had to return 3 lamps (all at my expense). They send out defective replacements (none lasted more than 3 months) then they say you need to buy a new one.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 21
The real problem is the cheap Chinese knockoff lamps. They have a high failure rate out-of-the-box and in the best of cases last only a few months. Many sellers handle these lamps, and sell them for around $40. Some of these sellers are honest businesses and also sell genuine Philips and Osram for $80-90. I believe they feel they have to handle the cheap lamps as well in order to stay competitive.

The dishonest sellers that handle the cheap Chinese knockoffs are the ones that refer to them as "OEM-equivalent" and other such meaningless doubletalk. "Equivalent' is a matter of opinion in this case.

It looks to me from their website that Pureglare avoids addressing the manufacturer of the lamps, while not telling any lies. You should only buy lamps from companies that state clearly who made the lamp and that should be a reputable manufacturer like Philips, Osram, or direct from the tv manufacturer. Aside from that, it sounds like Pureglare has crappy customer service.
post #11 of 11 Old 04-03-2013, 01:48 PM

I made the error of not following my instincts and purchasing a Sony or Sony approved bulb for my Sony XL-2000U television, as I did once before. A friends suggested purchasing a bulb on thePureglare website for about 20% of the cost of an original equipment bulb. The television was not working without the new bulb, so I ordered the new bulb 2nd Day Air delivery. When the bulb arrived I installed it promptly in the 50 inch rear projeection set and initially and it worked fine -- at least until that evening when I smelled something in the room where the television was located. As promptly as possible, I turned off the set, and attempted to remove the bulb. By then the picture was gone in any case. I then attempted to remove the bulb, but it turned out that the heat had caused the housing to melt and it was impossible to remove. I contacted the local Sony repair outfit and they immediately recognized what happened. I asked them if they could remove it and they said nobody would be able to remove it, and even if they did the heat from the bulb probably destroyed the cards near it. Their recommendation was to go out and find a new television, which I did.

We were quite satisfied to that point with the Sony, which was a hi-definition set that always worked fine. I contacted Pureglare to complain, and they did refund the cost of the bulb, but we were now faced with having to spend over $1,000 to purchase a new large screen television. For want of a nail the horse was lost.

I am not saying not to deal with Pureglare, but I would strongly recommend, if you do, that you not buy any of their low-cost products.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page