Panasonic RPTV PT-60LCX64... A good TV? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 02-07-2011, 08:28 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked: 98
I wonder if anyone on this forum knows much about the Panasonic PT-60LCX64? It's a real oddity, compared to Mitsubishi, Samsung, etc.

It is apparently a three LCD rear projection, but apparently not LCOS. At least LCOS is never mentioned in any literature or review of this model.

It might have the advantage of greater stability of the optical engine, as it is not a complex composite that eventually breaks down under heat like LCOS.

Is there anyone who owns one and is very satisfied with the image?

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 02-07-2011, 09:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I wonder if anyone on this forum knows much about the Panasonic PT-60LCX64? It's a real oddity, compared to Mitsubishi, Samsung, etc.

It is apparently a three LCD rear projection, but apparently not LCOS. At least LCOS is never mentioned in any literature or review of this model.

It might have the advantage of greater stability of the optical engine, as it is not a complex composite that eventually breaks down under heat like LCOS.

Is there anyone who owns one and is very satisfied with the image?

Thanks.

Panasonic used a pretty typical 3-LCD rear projection design, very close to Sony's pre-LCOS sets, and Hitachi and Mitsubishi's 3-LCD. 3-LCD panels are transmissive. LCOS and JVC's DiLA uses reflective LCD panels. I would not say that one or the other panel type had greater stability, both designs have problems with degradation of the panels from UV content and heat. Both designs have problems with degradation of the input polarizers on the blue channel.

Advantages of LCOS are a better picture because there is a much smaller gap between pixels, and because it is one-sided, the backside of the panel can be a heat sink.

Some advantages of the Panasonic 3-LCD sets -outstanding service manuals, and they sell components for the inside of their light engines, which I believe no other manufacturers do. The PT-60LCX64 is a later model with atsc tuner, which some earlier Panasonic 3-LCD's don't have.
post #3 of 6 Old 02-07-2011, 10:56 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

Panasonic used a pretty typical 3-LCD rear projection design, very close to Sony's pre-LCOS sets, and Hitachi and Mitsubishi's 3-LCD...

....Some advantages of the Panasonic 3-LCD sets -outstanding service manuals, and they sell components for the inside of their light engines, which I believe no other manufacturers do. The PT-60LCX64 is a later model with atsc tuner, which some earlier Panasonic 3-LCD's don't have.

Thank you for the very comprehensive answer.

There is one available, and user reviews are very positive, but if the optical block degrades like on the SXRDs, it's just asking for trouble.

Have you seen one?
post #4 of 6 Old 02-08-2011, 05:58 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Thank you for the very comprehensive answer.

There is one available, and user reviews are very positive, but if the optical block degrades like on the SXRDs, it's just asking for trouble.

Have you seen one?

I used to have a PT50LC14, a gen or two earlier. Nice set, great sound, no ATSC though.

You said 'one available', so you are thinking of buying one? Or a freebie? Does it have a good picture now? Watch for yellow clouds on white screens, and some blue creeping into the blacks in certain areas, generally starting in the center of the screen.

Yes it has the same degradation problem that all LCD-RP's and LCOS and DiLA have, but it is a little more repairable than the others because you can get some of the parts for it.
post #5 of 6 Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckF. View Post

I used to have a PT50LC14, a gen or two earlier. Nice set, great sound, no ATSC though.

You said 'one available', so you are thinking of buying one? Or a freebie? Does it have a good picture now? Watch for yellow clouds on white screens, and some blue creeping into the blacks in certain areas, generally starting in the center of the screen.

Yes it has the same degradation problem that all LCD-RP's and LCOS and DiLA have, but it is a little more repairable than the others because you can get some of the parts for it.

It is buyable and affordable...but with the same problems as the LCOS sets, it is a no go for me.

Humorously, someone on craigslist has the gall to ask $2200 for an old 60 inch SXRD, possibly the most unreliable set on the planet. I guess the buyer thinks there are some suckers out there. A sad commentary.

Thanks for your help.
post #6 of 6 Old 01-18-2015, 05:37 PM

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked: 55
How can I find a way to plug in a USB stick to play movies I have? Or what's an easy way to do play movies I have in mp4/avi etc
Reply Rear Projection Units