DLP Hobbiest Upgraded my tv. - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-08-2011, 11:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well I figured I would share. Anyway, I have been kinda a craigslist junky for awhile and like to buy anything I can from that site. I own a Mitsubishi wd-73733 73" DLP tv and the lamp is starting to get dimmer on it so its time for a lamp replacment. I have come across alot of defective DLP units on craigslist with brand new lamps installed in them and figured I search to not only get a lamp but also spare parts. They usually sell for $100 which is cheaper than the lamp alone if your lucky enough to find one. Well I did, I came across a wd-65734 for $100 with a stuck pixel problem with a brand new lamp, Upon further tear down I discovered the parts inside were all identical to my wd-73733 and it had a load more features on the menu before I took it apart. So I was curious what would happen if I pulled the brain/power supply module from it and put it in my wd-73733. So I did, And BAM I now have Deep field imager, Dark detailer, and sharp edge which has improved the picture quality big time! I also have a spare color wheel, bulb, and ballast. I never knew it was as simple as a brain changeout that could upgrade your tv to have that much better of a picture and features. I am curious why mitsubishi waited till the wd-73736 model to include just the deep field imager minues the sharp edge. But I now own a wd????-Jeremy model DLP. So if anyone has a mitsubishi DLP and lacks these options and can find a TV built around the same timeframe that is broken, There is your chance for an upgrade.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2011, 05:46 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked: 162
Many of those 'step up' features that are usually turned off anyway (or should be) are blocked out in the firmware for the less expensive models. The features are there, but not enabled.

It's called marketing. Same guts, different models.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM

Hey thats cool that you found that out. And thats for the heads up! I see alot of Mitsu's on my Craigslist. Might have to do some TV shopping.

Angelo
Old 02-09-2011, 03:32 PM - Thread Starter

Now if you do that, You have to make sure its made within a year or 2 around the tv you have, And it has to have the same wattage lamp system otherwise it may not be compatible. I can tell you I also own a wd-57732 57" from 2006 and the internals are completley different from the wd-73733 I have made in 2008. I think mitsubishi changed there overall designs after 06 with all 07 models and continued the same design in 2008, I don't have a 2009 model so I don't know if anything has changed since then but its worth a shot if both cabinets look the same as the one you own. Best way to tell is look at the inputs on the back and see if they closley resemble what you own.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info!

Angelo
Old 06-22-2012, 05:17 PM

Liked: 32
Good call. I too found a smaller 57" set and am using parts for my 73" set. I think I will swap out the 733 module for 734 module I have. Is the quality in picture truly that noticeable/different/better?
Old 06-22-2012, 05:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy34771 View Post

Well I figured I would share. Anyway, I have been kinda a craigslist junky for awhile and like to buy anything I can from that site. I own a Mitsubishi wd-73733 73" DLP tv and the lamp is starting to get dimmer on it so its time for a lamp replacment. I have come across alot of defective DLP units on craigslist with brand new lamps installed in them and figured I search to not only get a lamp but also spare parts. They usually sell for $100 which is cheaper than the lamp alone if your lucky enough to find one. Well I did, I came across a wd-65734 for $100 with a stuck pixel problem with a brand new lamp, Upon further tear down I discovered the parts inside were all identical to my wd-73733 and it had a load more features on the menu before I took it apart. So I was curious what would happen if I pulled the brain/power supply module from it and put it in my wd-73733. So I did, And BAM I now have Deep field imager, Dark detailer, and sharp edge which has improved the picture quality big time! I also have a spare color wheel, bulb, and ballast. I never knew it was as simple as a brain changeout that could upgrade your tv to have that much better of a picture and features. I am curious why mitsubishi waited till the wd-73736 model to include just the deep field imager minues the sharp edge. But I now own a wd????-Jeremy model DLP. So if anyone has a mitsubishi DLP and lacks these options and can find a TV built around the same timeframe that is broken, There is your chance for an upgrade.

Just so you know, Mits received some bad DMD chips from Texas Instruments that model year that caused the stuck pixels. Mits has been replacing the chips for free out of warranty, all you do is pay for labor. There are youtube videos showing how easy it is to change the chip yourself, so you may be able to end up with two working TVs!

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 06-23-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremy34771 View Post

I too have had great Craigslist experience on dlp tv. A while back I fixed a friends 57" Diamond series with a new dlp chip $185. Bought a 56" slimline Samsung dlp for $100 and Samsung replaced the dmd at no charge. This week picked up a 65" Mits with a bad ballast but new lamp for $125, new ballast was $29 and works perfectly.

The modular design of the dlp sets makes repairs easy if you search google and like to tinker!eek.gif