I Just Moved & Now My Pioneer RPTV Is Out-Of-Focus - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 15 Old 04-13-2002, 01:14 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just moved from Houston to Richardson, TX. My equipment was handled by professional movers and now that I have my Pioneer 53HD5 set up with DVD sourcing, I am seeing a very fuzzy and soft picture. Nothing has really changed in my setup from my Houston location. It looked fantastic there. I am still running a Panasonic RP56 with a progressive signal. I'm still running component cables, though I did link up three separate cables to send the signal to the RPTV. I know this is not the purist's way to do it, but I was willing to make do for a few weeks.

I have recalibrated the settings. I also have a Best Buy service plan good for the next four years. I wonder if the convergence has anything to do with this?

Any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Do you have questions about life? Ask me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-13-2002, 01:33 PM
AVS Special Member

I'd run the same "exact" set up I had --just to rule any damage. Move the set in the middle of the room/or whatever it takes to be able to use the same set up. These aren't that sensitive-with just the "normal"moving thing; stairs etc. Geo.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-13-2002, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I've got a Best Buy service tech coming out on Wednesday sometime. We'll see if the convergence reset helps. I have never done it myself, but I hear it's a real snoozer.

post #4 of 15 Old 04-14-2002, 12:48 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Any suggestions on what to have the Best Buy tech do when he comes out if he is "clueless"? Chances are good that I better have some specific requests in mind if I want good service. Since I will be at work, it will be tough to really track his efforts.

post #5 of 15 Old 04-15-2002, 06:24 AM

http://www.keohi.com/keohihdtv/index2.htm is a good reference for alignment procedures, although they don't seem to have data on your model. Still, the other discussions on convergence may apply to get an idea of what he SHOULD be doing. He should at least be using the "service mode" rather than what you can do with the remote alone; there should be 50+ points on the grid, not 9... It should be easy; consider this an audition for the tech.

Convergence usually needs to be adjusted after any move, as the TV is now in a different magnetic field. EVERYTHING is magnified on these boxes!
post #6 of 15 Old 04-15-2002, 08:37 AM

Quote:
I wonder if the convergence has anything to do with this?
Convergence probably has everything to do with it. Usually, even the slightest bump to a RPTV will knock the convergence out a little. Do the leading and trailing edges of objects show a color (e.g. red on leading edge, green on trailing edge, or vice versa)? That's convergence.

If you think the Best Buy tech is going to get it to your satisfaction, guess again. I have little faith in their ability to do anything right.

Your options are:
1. Learn to do it yourself.
2. Call an ISF tech, pay your $$$, and have them do it.

Quote:
I have never done it myself, but I hear it's a real snoozer.
Time to learn, methinks. Part of playing the game of HT.

Todd
post #7 of 15 Old 04-15-2002, 05:46 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

So I have my list started. I believe the previous posts are entirely correct. Due to the symptoms described, I believe that this is a convergence issue. Any ideas on where I could learn how to go deep into the service menus myself? Of course, there is risk involved, but what's the worst that could happen? Would I void my service plan, I wonder?

Thanks for your feedback.

post #8 of 15 Old 04-16-2002, 06:27 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Step one, IMO, is contacting Pioneer and buying a service manual or CDROM. Bought a CDROM at the same time I bought my Philips 64-in. RPTV 21 months ago. Without following the correct procedures you can lose the factory settings and make things worse. Most online tips explain you should copy down all factory settings as soon as you enter maintenance mode. If you haven't already, I'd go through the user convergence adjustments since they can approximate correct settings. -- John
post #9 of 15 Old 04-16-2002, 07:40 AM

Two things may be at work here:

1) Convergence is somewhat related to the Earth's magnetic field. That is to say, if you move the TV at all the convergence will be off. Furthermore, convergence relies on precise alignment of the RGB guns in the TV ... if it gets bumped, convergence may be thrown off. Also, convergence will drift by itself over time. User-level convergence will help, and a service-level convergence will be best. I have converged a few Panasonic TVs and a Mits and it's a bit of work, but it pays off nicely in a much better image.

2) Focus like convergence, relies on precise alignment of the RGB guns. There are 2 ways to address that" electrostatic focus and also mechanical focus. The rewards can be slight or staggering depending on how bad the set was already. Doing both usually takes no less than 15 minutes and is fairly easy, assuming you don't ham fist it and bump the RGB screen potentiometers which makes the job take much longer.

As for a service tech doing this, well, if it's Best Buy then beware. Kinda like having a lawnmower repairman do a tuneup on your BMW. he has the knowledge, but probably won't give it the love it deserves and potentially can do more damage than good. I know a lot of folks who have had Sears / Best Buy "technicians" come out and do a lot of damage due to lack of knowledge - they often can't even enter the service menu, and sometimes are totally clueless.

Drop me an email at jason_flynn@yahooSPAM.com (remove "SPAM" from my email address first) and I'll be happy to come over and help out for free. Hey, I actually enjoy this kinda stuff. ;) Alternately, you can have a BB tech come out but that's a mixed bag. Preferably, you can hire a local "ISF technician" (Steve Martin is a local expert, not the comedian just same name) who can do wonders, but it'll cost maybe $500 or so. I can do everything the ISF can do except for a greyscale calibration, and I can even do greyscale fairly well without the equipment by eye if you want.

Long story short: these things are sensitive and don't like to be moved. You gotta get under the hood to tweak her back up to snuff, and you may well find that we can get it looking MUCH better than when it did new.
post #10 of 15 Old 04-16-2002, 07:44 AM

Might want to ensure you are indeed using 75 ohm shielded coax cables on all 3; if you use an "audio" cable instead no good as audio patch cables are shielded twisted copper as opposed to coax.

For example, those "video patch cords" have one coax and two twisted pair. Use either dedicated component video cables, or alternately 3 separate coax video cables.
post #11 of 15 Old 04-16-2002, 07:53 AM
Advanced Member

mcpatrickclan,

I just PM'd you before I saw this. I can send you the important bits of the service manual, but beware... it is very tedious work and you can make things worse than they are now. I spent most of an afternoon in there trying to tweak my HD settings and ended up hurting the geometry a bit. Now, I get the whole screen with good convergence and very little overscan, but there's a "bubble" in the geometry at the bottom that makes credits look like they're going over a speed bump on their way up the screen. It's not too distracting with normal programming, but it sure isn't right.

If you're not going to be moving again for a while, I'd consider an ISF tech for a full calibration. I'll be doing that just as soon as i buy a house.

jake
post #12 of 15 Old 04-16-2002, 08:00 AM

Yep, very tedious indeed!

Can avoid geometry problems like that by being precise, and taking your time. A grid helps, and if no grid can simply use a ruler/yardstick. I have a 47" grid, and can always print one up for another size at Kinkos. The convergence grids on Avia are of course indespensible as well.

Not a huge deal, but not something to step blindly into. E&M focus plus user-level convergence will get you 95% of the way there. I'd caution against a BB technician but it's your TV...
post #13 of 15 Old 04-16-2002, 05:56 PM

WOW.... cool info guys

but....

If I'm buying a new tv and its going to be delivered it sounds like I need to add some $$$ to my budget to get it calibrated once its set in place? Is this something I need to work into my sales cost where I buy it (not Best Buy)?

what about where the tv sets, how do you access the rear of them without having to move the unit or should I leave some extra room (12-18") behind the set?

Phins to the Left
post #14 of 15 Old 04-16-2002, 08:42 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

You can roll out the RPTV, LowSpark.

post #15 of 15 Old 04-17-2002, 10:28 PM

Jason, you have mail. Cliff

Phins to the Left
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page