URGENT!!!: Parents buying a TV TODAY!! need help fast=) - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 149
My parents found a TV at costco that they seem pretty serious on getting TODAY (april 14th).

They are looking to get the Paasonic PT47W49 for aroun 1600 if i remember correctly.

Three concerns!
1) is this a good purchase, or should they spend this money on another TV. Widescreen is not required, but HDTV ready/semi large screen is.
2)Lets say that 80% of what they watch is NOT widescreen. Is there a problem with the black bars burning in? NO SPECULATION PLEASE=)..only fact please=)
3) if you hook a DVD player up to an HDTV ready TV, will you have the high quality video?

MANY THANKS FOR ANY HELP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 12:15 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Never rush into a purchase such as this!

I've been doing research for weeks.

Hold off until the people here can answer your questions. You'll be glad you did !

- Eric
post #3 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 12:50 PM
Advanced Member

Anthony, I respect your desire to know the answer to your question, but please save the URGENT tags for real important posts. Buying an RPTV on a whim is not appropriate for URGENT tags. This is your first post and it looks a lot like you want to take and not give back to this forum.

By the way, it's not an HDTV unless it is widescreen.

Do you have questions about life? Ask me.
post #4 of 9 Old 04-14-2002, 08:37 PM
AVS Club Gold

McPatrick, kindly remove the stick from your ass before posting again.

Anthony, Eric's advice is very sensible. On the other hand, you can easily lose yourself in the search for the "perfect" TV, and never actually buy one (I know.).

That said...

Good purchase: I don't know, I don't have much experience with RPTVs. :) It does have a line doubler, which is the only really essential thing to have.

Burn-in: Whenever there are black bars anywhere, there is potential for burn-in. That's really the only fact. Whether or not you run across it depends on how often the bars are in the same place. If 80% of the usage is 4:3, I would have recommended a 4:3 set, regardless of what the people on this snooty forum may say. You can help avoid burn-in by using "stretch" or zoom modes (or grey bars, if available), if you don't have a problem with their appearance.

DVD: It's a lot more complicated that you think, but yes, your set has 3:2 pulldown and should render a very acceptable DVD image. One can almost always do better, but you've got all the critical buzzwords for good DVD playback. Make sure to use the component cables.

Specific recommendations are probably better left to others, but I have a feeling it's too late for that anyway. :)

Alex
post #5 of 9 Old 04-19-2002, 01:02 PM

Buy a 4:3 HDTV ready t.v. I just bought a 61" 4:3 Sony KP61HS20 and love it. HDTV programming is a joke. For the next 5-7 years we will all be watching more 4:3 programming then 16:9. The Sony does the anamorphic squeeze for DVD's and HDTV programming. My 16:9 picture for DVD's or HDTV is the same size as the Sony 57W40 widescreen. I have the best of both worlds. A 61" 4:3 t.v. for 85% of the programming I watch, and a 57W40 widescreen t.v. for DVD's and for HDTV programming if and when there is any worthwhile programming. I don't have any burn-in problems and can always watch any programming in the proper and original aspect ratio.

I find it funny when anyone suggests a widescreen over a 4:3 t.v. because widescreen is better. In a sense it's telling that person to watch 75-80 of programming in either a funky stretch mode or risk burning your guns.

I believe Sony has a 43, 53 and 61" 4:3 t.v.'s that all do the anamorphic squeeze. You need this in your 4:3 t.v.

Good luck.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-24-2002, 09:34 PM
Advanced Member

just for the record, "funky stretch mode" doesn't really apply to too many widescreen sets these days, they're pretty good at it. Unless you're really very critical of your 4:3 viewing, it doesn't make much difference. Especially if you consider the poor quality picture from the cable/satellite providers these days. :rolleyes:

I watch probably 80% 4:3 in "Natural Wide", but having the best possible presentation in progressive DVD and HD is far and beyond worth it.

jake
post #7 of 9 Old 04-25-2002, 07:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 35
Justification of their own widescreen set...I would do the same.
:confused:

Current Projects:
IN PROGRESS (80%) - Building 3D Theater room.
IN PROGRESS (30%) - Building Lounge/Hallway Area.
IN PROGRESS (15%) - Building Home LAN (4 PCs).
ON HOLD - Building Home Gym.
ON HOLD - Building Simulation Room (Eyefinity).
ON HOLD - Building Theater room (Sim2 HT380, 2.35 14ft wide).
post #8 of 9 Old 04-26-2002, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
3) if you hook a DVD player up to an HDTV ready TV, will you have the high quality video?
The simple answer is yes. You will have much higher quality video than a standard TV.

I would use this parameter as a top qualification. Do they spend alot of time watching DVDs? If not and they don't plan to purchase an HDTV receiver either, definitely go with a 4x3 set like the Sony mentioned.

If they plan to invest in HDTV and watch widescreen DVDs, I would recommend getting a widescreen set. Contrary to another post, a majority of primetime programming is widescreen HDTV (even more so this coming fall season, checkout http://www.hdtvgalaxy.com/broad.html). I found that the 4x3 Sony sets (HS10) looked great for DVDs but their HDTV quality could not compare to true 16x9 HD displays.

Regarding the Panasonic, be warned that the light output from their rear projection sets is not as great as others I have seen (I once had the Panny 56" I returned). You must be able to control ambient light with these sets. From my observations the Toshiba, Mits, Sony, Hitachi and Pioneer seem to have much greater light output (I can personally vouch that the Hitachi, and Mits output is much greater - Mits=mine Hit=Dad's).

I would not recommend the Mits for your parents since it is more of a tweaker's set. The pioneer's will be more expensive. I would recommend you look at the Hitachi, Toshiba, or Sonys (I don't really like the low end sonys, the high end models are awesome to me).

My budget minded purchase would have to be a Toshiba all the way. 4x3 or 16x9.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-30-2002, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Check out the RCA D52130 or D52120.
Closed Thread Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page