Could this be the problem with my HLP5685? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 05-06-2011, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Hello,

At one time my HLP5685W had a reasonable picture, but at one point blotchiness, color banding, etc. became very noticeable. I can't really say for certain whether or not it has gotten worse in the last few years or whether it just annoys me more and more. Typically, as to be expected, darker scenes are the worst. Also the color weakness settings in the menu do not operate properly - turning up the green actually make the picture red and turning up the blue does nothing.

I decided to poke around inside a bit and discovered a hairline crack in the glass that (apparently) keeps the dust off the color wheel.

Please see the photo, the roughly horizontal black line is the crack and I'm thinking it's possibly causing some prism effect. Not that it's 100% of the problem but it might be adding to it. Is this possible? Is this easily user replaceable? Does it need to be special glass? And, of course, what else may be done to troubleshoot the issue and if possible resurrect the PQ without spending much?

Thank you,

Chris
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2011, 12:14 PM - Thread Starter

Just want to add that if anyone has a parts manual for the HL-P5685W I would appreciate a part number for this broken small piece of glass (it's about an inch square) as shown in the photo above.

Samsungparts.com says they need a part number, Samsung support claims to not have a viewable parts catalog, and the local dealer that Samsung lists for service claims they need to send a tech out to diagnose (even though I have the broken part in my hand).

Thank you,

Chris
Old 05-24-2011, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
i have a HLP5685 maintenance manual. that is the good news. the bad news is the manual is on 8.5x11 format paper. it appears to have been reduced from much larger prints. much is lost in the reduction. it makes it hard for me to correctly id the part on the figure. it is also difficult to id the part nos. i'll try to get a decent photocopy to post. its from page 3-3 you will need to blow it up (enlarge it) several times to see what you can possibly use.
Old 05-24-2011, 12:45 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks Rusty. So far the news has not been good. Every Samsung contact and dealer I've spoken says the part is not available as a separate sku/item and is part of the "light engine" assembly. Of course I am not going to put light engine $$ into this 7 year old set - I can get a new 1080P set for that kind of money A few bucks for a 1" square piece of UV glass is a worthwhile repair.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:18 PM

Liked: 10
i'm glad you were able to read that copy of the manual page. my eyes are so bad, even with 2 pair of glasses on the figures still looked fuzzy. good luck with that repair. btw i neglected to say why i replaced so many lamps (6 or 7) in my hlp5685. the set is on almost 24/7. retirees in the home as well as day and night shift workers.
Old 05-24-2011, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks much again! This adds a bit of hope to my plight.