not funny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #812 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 11:37 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Still images from red/white defect... on ESPN, via HD Cox Cable box, 720p signal... there are 4 different areas IN ONE FRAME:

(note "INTRODUCED" suffers from it, especially in the "INTROD")

(Anything in the red banner is smudged to the point of being almost unreadable)

By jpimageshack at 2012-01-22

(same frame, now with Sharpness at 40)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

(Red banner again... specifically, "TEXAS TECH 52"... Then note how clear "FINAL" is for comparison)

(same frame... now with Sharpness up to 40)

("ESPN" logo I mentioned in a previous post)

(ESPN logo, now with sharpness at 40)

post #813 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 11:45 AM

From Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (via PS3 -- 1080p).

(Note that the time code is barely readable)

(Same frame, now with sharpness at 40)

post #814 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
The 1st pic looks like CA (chromatic aberration) that JVC had alot of trouble with on their DiLA sets 5+ years ago.
The others are something else.

First thing, how about the internal tuner directly and/or the sets menu? How do they look?
How about another external source?
Did this happen all of a sudden, or was it gradual?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #815 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 View Post

Still images from red/white defect... on ESPN, via HD Cox Cable box, 720p signal... there are 4 different areas IN ONE FRAME:

("ESPN" logo I mentioned in a previous post)

I checked my ESPNHD on DirecTV, and I only see the bleeding on the ESPN logo, but the other words were fine. Just posting to verify I am seeing this too.

btw, it doesn't bother me one bit, and unless it was pointed out, I never noticed....

On that note, I hope something can be done to fix it if possible.

Thank you.

Mitsubishi WD-73640 3D DLP HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio 190x2 , 180x2, 130x2 (Rear Surrounds), 120c Speakers | Intel DX58SO | I7 975 @ 3.3Ghz | Windows 8.1 64bit
post #816 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

The 1st pic looks like CA (chromatic aberration) that JVC had alot of trouble with on their DiLA sets 5+ years ago.
The others are something else.

First thing, how about the internal tuner directly and/or the sets menu? How do they look?
How about another external source?
Did this happen all of a sudden, or was it gradual?

External sources so far have been my PS3 for BD/Games (games have the same problem, fwiw), and my Cox HD cable box.

THHOWL has used videos from his home theater PC... that show when he alters the color info from the source via his graphics card, the TV doesn't display the problem when it no longer receives those colors... but if the TV receives the red/whites, no matter how much you play with the tint or color saturation, it will persist (even if you turn color down to 0 and have a black and white image).

I haven't tried the internal tuner yet... How would I do that, bypass the cable box completely and plug the coaxial cable into the TV? I don't have an antenna for OTA.

It's menu looks fine... its tough to say, its very simple and blocky looking to begin with.

The set itself is brand new (arrived less then a week ago), the problem has been here from the start.
post #817 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the report, jkeener71. That's 6 out of 6 who found the issue when they checked for it.

videobruce, as you're getting at, I've determined it's the input decoder shared by all HDMI inputs and the Component input, specifically color decoding, before the TV's post processing.

Reasons for this are given in my prior post, here:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21527454

The only input I haven't tested since noticing the issue is OTA. I don't care to right now, for the hassle. (my TV is pretty boxed in - but yes, it has good ventilation behind it / above it)

I appreciate your input. Many of your questions will be answered in my (copious) prior posts, and the test descriptions in my video gallery.

|
|
2011 Mits DLP owners: upgrade firmware to 13.06 to fix picture quality. More here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21726833
post #818 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 02:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 101
Quote:

I haven't tried the internal tuner yet... How would I do that, bypass the cable box completely and plug the coaxial cable into the TV? I don't have an antenna for OTA.

Yes.
What, no antenna"?

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way.
The Internet is no place for streaming video.
post #819 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM

Above, you can see that the TV has no trouble if your face is a little green, but that with normal skin tones, artifacts and blurring occur. These are photos of my WD-73640 screen, cropped.

Below, more photographs (cropped) of my WD-73640 screen, as it displays 1080p HDMI from my PC. (No matter that it's from my PC: this issue occurs with all HDMI inputs and Component, regardless of the source AND REGARDLESS OF TV SETTINGS, INCLUDING COLOR, but will be hidden by turning TV sharpness up.)

To begin, below is the image as it appears normally on the TV - blurred and full of artifacts.

If you can't see the differences at this size, click on the images for a large size.

The only difference between the above photograph and the one below is a change in color in the source image before being sent to the TV: a change in the input signal. (Just as one could do in the color settings of their Blu-Ray player.)

No skin tones, no problems : A slight shift out of reds/skin tones, into less natural greens, and original sharpness is restored, and nearly all artifacts go away:

The PC dialog box in the top left corner shows the color changes made - in terms of "vibrance" (related to saturation) (top slider) and hue (bottom bar), where 50% "vibrance" and 0 degrees hue rotation is normal.

Now, this is just one scene, with a certain range of skin tones.

Below, let's see what a slightly different skin tone results in, by lowering saturation just a tad - oh my, even more blurry!

No color, no problems : Remove all color information, and correct sharpness is restored, and all defects disappear:

Similarly, increasing input saturation also results in better sharpness, as shown below:

But notice how the "extreme case" phenomenon, mishandling of pure reds near pure whites, is still visible in the pajamas.

Added 1/28/2012:

Test Video Demonstrating Color Decoding Defect in Mitsubishi 2011 DLPs

I have made the ultimate test video for demonstrating the color decoding defect that plagues 2011 Mitsubishi DLP sets.
(or determining if you have it)

It is available as an ISO burnable to DVD, a 1080p AVCHD DVD, playable in a Blu-Ray player.
(Like this site's AVCHD version of the AVSHD 709, for those who have done that.)

THIS SHOWS SOME REALLY CRAZY ARTIFACTS! Much more than I've ever shown.
Even those who know they have the defect should watch this on their Mits.
It shows just how extremely crazy things can get with just the right content.
It'll also be helpful in explaining the defect to a service technician. You're welcome.

The 419MB AVCHD DVD ISO file is available here:

https://www.onlinefilefolder.com/3savmOPw6gdBGe

(that is the same as clicking on the image above)

Mirror here, but the 1st link should be the fastest: http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1842312/2011...DLP%20Test.iso

(both will probably be very slow)

After downloading the ISO, Windows Vista/7 users can burn it to DVD with: Right-Click the file > Send To > DVD

Everyone else, (well, except Mac users), I recommend freeware "ISO Recorder":

http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm

-------------------------------
Streaming Video for your PC
If you have a PC connected to your DLP, or are impatient with the download,
you can watch a more compressed version in my usual gallery:
(unless you play the 'Full HD' version, and your DLP is set to 1920x1080, you won't get the same effect - some defects, but nothing like the ISO )

Also in that gallery, after the video, are good stills to play as Slideshow.

---

The defect I have been reporting on bothers me the most when it appears in lips & teeth - the mouth area.

You have no idea how much worse this looks WHEN ITS MOVING. These stills barely show anything compared to what it really looks like on the TV, happening.

Notice the white appearing inside the nostils on both of these last two woman. That too looks horrible when it's moving. And it does move with the person's face.

And for the ladies - or those who care about teeth:

Oh, no teeth in this one, just a white line smack in the middle of his lip. Notice similar artifact under his chin. Just depends on the intensity and brightness of the red and what's nearby.

See how the white inside the nostrils stays as the person moves. It's VERY distracting.

(Color casts are due to camera's refresh rate synchronizing -or not - with the 120Hz mirrors.)

2/24/2002 Update: A workaround has been found: Start at the post below and read the next ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTaco View Post

[...] This just popped into my head, I wasn't paying too close of attention at the time, but I am pretty sure the problem didn't present itself during this example (will test again tonight and repost). I often play games on my computer in 3D through the 92840 using Nvidia's 3D Vision. For this I output to the TV in checkerboard format. Now to do this I obviously have to set the TV to checkerboard 3D (I'm going somewhere with this I promise). Now when checkerboard format is enabled on the TV and you are not actually playing 3D content (such as you are still on the desktop of the computer) everything should look fairly normal (assuming you don't have the glasses on and you don't have geometry correction enabled (Geometry correction usually causes blurriness in the image when 3D mode is enabled, displaying a 2D image, when being viewed without glasses). During this time I do not remember seeing the normal artifacting I am used to (in Windows 7 the red X at the top right of every window is always artifacting, especially if you mouse over it...). Again I am going to confirm tonight, however, if this is the case it could show that the problem is actually being created from the "Smooth 120hz" as this is something you lose once you enter 3D mode if I am not mistaken. Of course there are other things 3D mode does, I think, such as separating every other pixel into a separate frame? Doesn't the TV normally have overlap in each pixel (I think I remember GtGray mentioning this before as well as others) and in 3D mode I believe that overlap disappears so as to separate the checkerboard frames. Again, my disclaimer is don't actually take anything I say as truth, I am just repeating things I think I remember people saying, please don't take this as an "actual" description of what happens. I am more writing it so the actual experts here can see if the relation of any of this is of any use to them, and if not, meh, least I am trying to figure out the cause haha. But again, I could be completely mistaken as to what happens when you enter 3D mode as well, making any of this useless.

Added 2/28/2002: More proof of the defect, this time comparing NORMAL settings (3D Checkerboard OFF for 2D content) to the workaround, 3D Checkerboard ON for all 2D content - which doesn't work for Component BTW.

Click on the images here to see dozens and dozens of comparisons, each pair taken at the same distance, with the same focus, and same camera settings including a manual white balance.

Many of these are 18MP pictures: try viewing the ORIGINAL size for true comparisons.

Above: 3D Checkerboard OFF
Below: 3D Checkerboard ON

Don't forget to click on the page navigator in the galleries: there are many many pages. I tried to put the most interesting ones near the beginning.

Anyone can easily insert any picture from my gallery into a post here, by following these steps:

1. Be on photo you want by clicking on it's thumbnail. (duh)
2. In the top right corner of my gallery, click on "Share".
3. From the Share menu, choose "Get a link"
4. Click on the "Embeddable Links" tab.
5. Click the bottom most "Copy" button - the one for BBCode-Large.
6. Paste that text (now in your clipboard) into any post here.
7. Let us know if you need more help. The more people commenting on these differences, the better.

Looks like this, only with square brackets instead of vertical pipes:

|url=http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/21060333_FDk7tz#!i=1725601046&k=5DDdvxC&lb=1&s=A||img|http://www.smugmug.com/photos/i-5DDd...pg|/img||/url|

One last one, for the real geeks:

|
|
2011 Mits DLP owners: upgrade firmware to 13.06 to fix picture quality. More here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21726833
post #820 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

Yes.
What, no antenna"?

There are only so many hours in the day, my friend. I watch mostly BD movies... Video games and cable are a distant 2nd and even more distant 3rd.
post #821 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 06:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
So.... What did Mitsubishi say when you contacted them on this issue?

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #822 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1-377 View Post

What issue?
I only see 2 or 3 here that seem to have it and they have to try real hard to see it.
I'll bet 99.99% of owners don't see it and therefore don't really care about it, so the .01% feel obliged to make the other 99.99% wonder what the hell?
I'll stop poking at you when you stop poking at me, okay? Don't make me reply again. Put me on your ignore list, whatever...
Truce beginning...now.

My feelings on this were actually exact how you felt on this as well.

I've been wondering what the hell also.

I never said anything though as I was just kind of following along and trying to take it all in, and I'm glad to see this sort of thing being discussed so I'm not at all against it! So don't get my point of posting here wrong.

I'm just wondering what the hell because I've lucked out I guess as I don't see any of these sorts of defects described here. I did at first see some weird stuff as I've said before, but after my set got some burn in time, those issues are now no longer there, and IMO the TV PQ quality is really nice overall. It really does blow away my 3 year old WD-65736 that this set replaced. I feel bad for you guys that have noticed it, and I hope you can get it taken care of. It does seem to be a remote issue that not everyone is experiencing though.

If I throw in a good blu ray that's got really nice PQ, it just amazes me how nice it can really look. I did watch some of those videos and tried to take it all in in terms of what some of you are going through. But it doesn't seem to affect me at all over here. I'm only using Dish Network, a PS3, and a Panasonic dmp-bd60 for blu rays. No issues really at all on any of these devices with any content. I have looked for some of the things that you guys have described in various settings but I don't see this sort of issue anywhere near as bad as some of you. I mean the PQ could be better, but everything can always be improved upon. But I'm very happy with how the set looks.

Hope this helps. FWIW.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
post #823 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 08:59 PM

Jan J, I gave you a detailed reply explaining why you can run the video test from your laptop. Have you done that?

The video to play ON YOUR TV:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...2#post21514862

The reason you can run it through VGA-to-HDMI converter:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1#post21520211

|
|
post #824 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 09:20 PM

QVC HD, on right now, the "ISSAC MIZRAHI LIVE" QVC HD show - a live test:

When the two hosts (Isaac and the girl) are far away: garbled eyes and mouths.

Black spots in teeth. White lines between closed lips. Sparkles inside model's black glasses frames.

If you can't watch it now, record it. It's good test content.

(not that I ever watch this: I sat down to take a break from this forum, and ran into this channel, and, sitting 8 feet away as usual, their faces being so garbled compared to the rest of the content jumped out at me.)

Another good test video is on the latest version of this forum's famous AVSHD Blu-Ray test disk. Watch the 720p content that is the Calibration TV video (top right item in DVD's main menu)

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496

|
|
post #825 of 1880 Old 01-22-2012, 11:41 PM

Only started happening a few days ago.

The problem:

Ideas?
post #826 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 04:58 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Definitely call Mits bud. I first thought maybe dust on mirror or engine, but that is too perfect of a circle.

Cool Beans.
post #827 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Definitely call Mits bud. I first thought maybe dust on mirror or engine, but that is too perfect of a circle.

Is it a Full Moon tonight? Sorry I had to do it. But yeah, try to get the taken care of ASAP.

Hope mine stays good, *Knocks on Wood*

Mitsubishi WD-73640 3D DLP HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio 190x2 , 180x2, 130x2 (Rear Surrounds), 120c Speakers | Intel DX58SO | I7 975 @ 3.3Ghz | Windows 8.1 64bit
post #828 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 06:27 AM

As round and as large as it is, it looks like it's from a drop of water on the back mirror - not the micro-mirrors, but the last thing the light bounces off of before heading toward the screen.

My second guess is a drop of dried water on the lamp, also causing light to concentrate.

But I have no actual experience with either on these sets.

|
|
post #829 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 07:24 AM

How would water get in there though? My place is as dry as it gets; can't think of a possible way water could seep through.
post #830 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 09:18 AM

Humidity / condensation due to large swings in temperature.

|
|
post #831 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 09:35 AM

New 73" owner here - thank you all for the informative posts. I went from almost buying a 55" LED to stumbling across the Mitsu DLP discussions here. Intrigued, I set out to find one to look at in person. Almost gave up - but finally stumbled across them in hhgregg - I was sold in minutes (on sale for $980). Certainly not the type of TV for everyone - but it's a perfect fit for my new cave.

2nd day owner - looking forward to tweaking the picture with some advanced settings once it's had some mileage. For now, I've just got it running on the stock picture settings w/ Natural and the Color on high.

I'm quite curious about the Noise setting - having it off seems to look worse to me on my initial tests, but I'm guessing there is a bit more homework for me to do to understand the right calibration combinations.
post #832 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarous View Post

New 73" owner here - thank you all for the informative posts. I went from almost buying a 55" LED to stumbling across the Mitsu DLP discussions here. Intrigued, I set out to find one to look at in person. Almost gave up - but finally stumbled across them in hhgregg - I was sold in minutes (on sale for $980). Certainly not the type of TV for everyone - but it's a perfect fit for my new cave.

2nd day owner - looking forward to tweaking the picture with some advanced settings once it's had some mileage. For now, I've just got it running on the stock picture settings w/ Natural and the Color on high.

I'm quite curious about the Noise setting - having it off seems to look worse to me on my initial tests, but I'm guessing there is a bit more homework for me to do to understand the right calibration combinations.

I haven't used any test patterns made for Noise reduction (if such a thing exists, I'm not sure)... but from my real-world testing, I couldn't tell the difference with it on or off. Not sure exactly what it does, and the user's manual doesn't seem to describe what any of the features such as NR and Film Mode do.
post #833 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 09:50 AM

Quote:

I haven't used any test patterns made for Noise reduction (if such a thing exists, I'm not sure)... but from my real-world testing, I couldn't tell the difference with it on or off. Not sure exactly what it does, and the user's manual doesn't seem to describe what any of the features such as NR and Film Mode do.

Curious, I just grabbed the full manual from Mitsubishi's web site (it contains much more detail):

Video Noise (High, Medium, Low, Off)
Reduces minor noise (graininess) in the picture.
High. For poor-quality signals.
Medium. For moderate noise reduction.
Low. For good-quality signals.
Off. Leaves the picture unaltered.

Maybe the issue was with my source or cable. This instance was the Iron Man blu-ray playing on my PS3, HDMI to my Onkyo TX-SR505 receiver and then HDMI to the TV.

This is the first time I've tried using HDMI on my Onkyo receiver. My previous LCD connection was made w/ the PS3 going HDMI straight to the TV and then only the digital audio out from the TV to my receiver.

I plan on experimenting w/ different options sometime this week.
post #834 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 09:57 AM

I tried the NR on the Patriots football game (HD, 720p), but pretty horrible picture overall... and still couldn't tell a difference, so I just leave it off. Especially since I only truly care about PQ for my BD's. Cable's always gonna look iffy at best, so I try to only concern myself with the BD side of things.

In that expanded manual... does it say what exactly film mode is? I assume its some form of progressive pull down for interlaced footage like 480i/1080i?
post #835 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:

In that expanded manual... does it say what exactly film mode is? I assume its some form of progressive pull down for interlaced footage like 480i/1080i?

According to the manual:

Film Mode (Auto, Off)
480i and 1080i signals only. In Auto, the TV automatically detects and applies film-decoding correction to movies filmed at 24 frames per second. Try the Off setting if images show many jagged edges. Setting saved by input.
post #836 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 10:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
Quote:

I tried the NR on the Patriots football game (HD, 720p), but pretty horrible picture overall... and still couldn't tell a difference, so I just leave it off. Especially since I only truly care about PQ for my BD's. Cable's always gonna look iffy at best, so I try to only concern myself with the BD side of things.

The Patriots game was on CBS. The over the air broadcast here in Houston was great. If I have the option I will always take OTA over cable on the same broadcast. On average CBS has the best looking NFL broadcasts, little to no mpeg block noise. NBC always has its fair share. Fox's broadcasts even OTA can be pretty messy. Clearly quality control at your local affiliate will make things very by market.

CBS Broadcasts are 1080I not 720P. If you were watching it at 720P is was down rezzed and probably pretty aborted.. running noise reduction on downscaled and compressed material usually makes for a bis mess.

Just another blank signature.
post #837 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 10:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I have seen some artifacting with red and adjacent color. I saw some on the endzones in the game at Candlestick in the endzone painting, those colors were particularly saturated.

I have also seen a similar pulsing on the ESPN college game day set decorations where brite white was adjacent to bright highly saturated red. Both these were 720P broadcasts, the odd thing about the artifacts was they were intermttent. On the Niner's, Giants game I saw it a couple of times early in the broadcast and later not at all.

In the case of the ESPN broadcasts I saw in on a couple of episodes and it was consistent through out that particular broadcast but the same set/scene decoration on other ESPN Game day broadcasts there was no artifact. The aritifact was a flicker like dot crawl. Clearly it was in the source.

Just another blank signature.
post #838 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

The Patriots game was on CBS. The over the air broadcast here in Houston was great.

Cool, I'm in Katy, TX.

Go Texans! It should have been us playing the Patriots!

post #839 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:

[..] The aritifact was a flicker like dot crawl. Clearly it was in the source.

Not necessarily! I can create the flicker-like dot crawl (black and white dot crawl) with a certain pixel pattern of red and whites. It is NOT in the source. It is not affected by any post-processing or settings in the TV (including calibration) - except Sharpening which "hides it" by so averaging the input signal (actually the output signal from the defective input decoder) - by so averaging the fine, 1-2 pixel-wide artifacts that they disappear to the untrained eye.

gtray, thanks for reporting you see the red-near-white defects so visible in the pajamas of the test image I posted above or the video of the test image. All it would take is to run that test image or video on your TV to see it is not in the source. I am honestly baffled by the guessing.

These not-so-concerning artifacts are only one aspect of the defect that I am talking about.

This defect's existence means your TV, gtgray, is also showing you the following image aberrations - though the may not see them:

1. Blurring facial detail, for many shades of skin tones (but more some than others, and some not at all), and many size faces / facial features (but more some than others, and some not at all: blurring darker lines in hair, wrinkles, edges of mouths, edges of eyes, eyebrows, eylashes, detail in lipstick lips - my list of finding goes on an on, all now recorded on an AVCHD DVD to show the tech via TWO blu-ray players)

2. Introducing blacks spots, white spots, black lines and white lines, in facial features - same caveats as above.

This in addition to:

3. Blurring line art (text, graphics) in direct proportion to it's A) Size/level of detail B) Closeness to Red with White hues C) Closeness to skin tone colors, specifically a light peach.

That's 7 out of 7 seriously looking for the issue and finding it. Reports of "I didn't notice it" without running basic tests / basic, close observation of red/white logs over a period of more than 2 seconds, do not figure into my counting.

|
|
post #840 of 1880 Old 01-23-2012, 10:51 AM

Quote:

The Patriots game was on CBS. The over the air broadcast here in Houston was great. If I have the option I will always take OTA over cable on the same broadcast. On average CBS has the best looking NFL broadcasts, little to no mpeg block noise. NBC always has its fair share. Fox's broadcasts even OTA can be pretty messy. Clearly quality control at your local affiliate will make things very by market.

CBS Broadcasts are 1080I not 720P. If you were watching it at 720P is was down rezzed and probably pretty aborted.. running noise reduction on downscaled and compressed material usually makes for a bis mess.

My bad --- just checked my DVR and the Pats game was indeed 1080i on cable as well (been checking too many damn settings lately, losing my mind). But horribly compressed.

OTA -- I'd love to do, and have known about it's better PQ for years and years... but I watch 99.99% of my television viewing pre-recorded on DVR. Can't stand commercials. Any way to get OTA to record to my cable company's DVR? I just accepted years ago, that cable A/V will suck, compression, stretching, fake-HD (up-converted and/or stretched/zoomed)... so I don't really view cable with any form of PQ interest.

Quote:

I have seen some artifacting with red and adjacent color. I saw some on the endzones in the game at Candlestick in the endzone painting, those colors were particularly saturated.

I have also seen a similar pulsing on the ESPN college game day set decorations where brite white was adjacent to bright highly saturated red. Both these were 720P broadcasts, the odd thing about the artifacts was they were intermttent. On the Niner's, Giants game I saw it a couple of times early in the broadcast and later not at all.

In the case of the ESPN broadcasts I saw in on a couple of episodes and it was consistent through out that particular broadcast but the same set/scene decoration on other ESPN Game day broadcasts there was no artifact. The aritifact was a flicker like dot crawl. Clearly it was in the source.

YES. I saw a ton of this in my BD of Scarface (finished it last night with the wife). When white and black bordered each other I got a lot of shimmering/dot crawl type thing. I'm not completely familiar with the movie's PQ (on other tvs) so I haven't gone into much detail on this yet... but in Scarface, lots of lips/mouth smearing (most often in wider shots where the faces are smaller), loss of detail in Montanas' gold necklace, etc.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page