2Likes

post #61 of 1886 Old 09-11-2011, 03:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'll look for those other posts now....
Can't look for the Menu yet... Doesn't get delivered till Tuesday.... I'm just examining what I can now.... before delivery.... Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Hit the Menu button, when menu comes up, lower hand side of the menu panel, should be either 13.02 or 13.03.

Look above in this thread for the different menu's for geometry and other settings I posted.

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1886 Old 09-11-2011, 06:43 PM

Liked: 10
can you give us some feedback on your impressions once you receive it.
as i mentioned early, im very keen to pick up one for around $900us. I see the odd mention of the 740 and 840 series in the other thread, but not too much indepth feedback about a 640.
post #63 of 1886 Old 09-11-2011, 10:28 PM

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenz View Post
can you give us some feedback on your impressions once you receive it.
as i mentioned early, im very keen to pick up one for around $900us. I see the odd mention of the 740 and 840 series in the other thread, but not too much indepth feedback about a 640.

There isn't much in-depth to do as it is the entry level for this years set. There is no internet apps or high contrast screen.

There are additional settings by hitting the menu button then 2-3-5-7, or 2-4-7-0. Still exploring those options. The best glasses I have used for 3D Dlp link is the Optoma zd101's so far. I have True Depth Glasses which still could see the Green tint from the DLP LINK when they were on and the Ultra Clear Ultimate 3D glasses were the same.

The blacks in 2D are pretty good, probably could be better but nothing I am missing from my VT25 plasma I just sold. (I wanted bigger screen and thought I would miss the PQ of the plasma, but haven't yet.) Overall I am very happy moving from a 54" plasma to this 73" DLP. Something about the DLP just feels "more real" than the "fake or glassy" feel to the plasma. I can't really put that into words.

Cool Beans.
post #64 of 1886 Old 09-12-2011, 02:11 AM

hey thanks for the update DRaven
i have seen the VT25 and the blacks on that are fine for me. i use to own a kuro when they were the bees knees, and i understand they still are, but i wanted bigger picture and at the time i tried out buying a projector to see if contrast would bother me. it didnt, and to this day i am using a projector at 90-100", watching sport on it right now. so id be happy with the contrast if its similar to a vt25.
i guess for me the price is good, the size is decent, and i have access to other features through other means and dont really fancy smart tv stuff yet as im not a basic user that needs skype on my tv, or facebook etc.
bummer about the 3D a bit, but again I'm not too worried about perfect 3D as I use to work at a studio that made certain 3D apps like PGA tour fly through, americas cup and red bull air race and the 3D applications and setups there make consumer 3D hard to put up with.
post #65 of 1886 Old 09-12-2011, 05:16 AM

Np. I really wanted to go the projector route myself as I love going to the movies and wanted to bring that home. But with the way my house is setup on the lake here, there really isn't room or a way to setup a room for projection. (too wide open downstairs, its a walk out.) Future wise, I have an addition planned when the daughter graduates in 5 years for a $40k mini 8person theater. lol

3D is good, don't be mistaken by what I say up there. It just took the right DLP Link glasses to see it in all its glory. I can't stress the ZD101's Glasses by Optoma enough for this tv.

Cool Beans.
post #66 of 1886 Old 09-12-2011, 10:25 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokenz View Post

so user opinion is pretty good with this?
i live in australia and i'm able to source one for about $900US, which is very cheap when i look at prices online and also consider the cost of shipping this type of TV here.
i currently use a DLP projector and find the picture is good, so i'd be happy to use a rear pro tv with 3d, 1080p etc. and not be too concerned if its missing some apps or wifi etc.
can anyone with the tv put up any pictures or videos.
how does the contrast of this thing compare to the likes of a decent plasma or sony sxrd tv etc

Make sure you are aware that the TV will not handle any over-the-air broadcast in Australia at all, will not handle any PAL sources (what you get in Australia), will not handle any HD source that is based on 50 Hz frame rates (also common for Australia) and is designed for 120 volt 60Hz AC power and does not have the multi-voltage transformers. This TV was made specifically for the United States (also designed there) and not for world wide sales.
post #67 of 1886 Old 09-12-2011, 05:18 PM
AVS Special Member

I second what GEP said, smokenz.... Don't buy an incompatable unit !!!!!

We get our 640 tomorrow.... Tuesday.
I've got wiring prepared....

Previous unit was the 62525, which was a 720P DLP... I have multiple Mits 73's of 3 year old vintage at work, so I'll have a comparison....

Sales guy showed me specs of 740 which didn't have clear screen... Only 840 does.

Absolutely don't need web surfing on TV.... Though will miss fact that VGA computers are not supported through HDMI adapter cables.....
I had set up the display with devices from work.... and the pix quality on the old DLP was pretty good.... And I know what I had on 73" sets at work.... So I'm looking forward to an improved picture....

Couple things I see in this software that weren't in the 62525 unit:
1. Two brightness bulb current setting Anybody know the Watt differences?
2. Easier firmware updating.... (I could see that coming... Less FedX charges for Mits!)
3. Favorites..... Only 9... Is this something that pops up on the screen instead of the Manual selection inputs??? Or, is it using the numeric Keypad?
4. Program Info... On the 62525 it was kind of worthless, as it didn't update until you were on the channel.... and went away, then back again... It didn't update automatically Often it showed you the last thing it remembered, which could be yesterday, or hours ago, the last time you updated it.... Is the Program info on the 73640 more 'instant' in it's use ?? Does it indicate what's next or just this program?
5. If I'm reading this right, ALL AUDIO from ALL Crosspoints, get converted to Digital Audio output.... OH Goody! No more running simultaneous Analog Audio and Digital both to the Bose..... (Bose switched, but it took Mits a couple firmware versions to get it right on the 62525)....
6. One thing I really miss.... Multiple YUV inputs.... 62525 had 4 ...... Glad I bought a 4 input HD Active YUV Remote Control !!! !

post #68 of 1886 Old 09-12-2011, 09:01 PM

Standard=156w
Bright=180w

all i have right now. tired...

Cool Beans.
post #69 of 1886 Old 09-13-2011, 06:42 PM

I got my 73640 today. I really like it but my software version on the left hand bottom corner shows as O13.00. How do I upgrade it, and is an upgrade necessary?

I also have a stupid question about my BR player. I hooked up my BR today and started to watch ROUNDERS. When I click the display button on the BR player remote it shows 480P. What does that mean? How do I get 1080P?

Thank you for your responses. I really appreciate it.
post #70 of 1886 Old 09-13-2011, 06:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Got the set today....

Nice.... REAL NICE

Thanks DVraven for Wattage info....

I'm used to 6500D Kelvin screens...

My somewhat calibrated eye says Color Temp High is ~ 8000K and Low about 5000K with default gains (advanced).... So I'm running on 'High' because skin tones are better there..

Pleased with the set.... Very Pleased...

I'm seeing little difference between what I'm seeing now, and the high contrast screen at the store.... I'd need a nitmeter to even begin to technically measure it... but my eye says it isn't much different....

Firmware as delivered is 013-02 Is there info on what bugs got fixed in later code?

Is it me, or is Noise Reduction being done on chroma side only?

I like the Black color better than the grey of the 62525

Some weekend I'll bring home a display analyzer, and see what color temperature I'm really getting.... I did it on the 62525 years ago, but after all the work tweaking I wasn't better than where Eye Adjust got me.

Settings I'm using:

Picture Mode: Natural
Contrast 40
Brightness 34
Color 31
Tint 31
Sharpness 33
Color Temp High
Noise Reduction low
Energy Standard

If I had it to do again... I'd get same set...

post #71 of 1886 Old 09-13-2011, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuttappan View Post

I got my 73640 today. I really like it but my software version on the left hand bottom corner shows as O13.00. How do I upgrade it, and is an upgrade necessary?
WITH this version you get a stick an use your laptop. Down load unzip (which i loathe) put on the stick and FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS TO A TEE.

I also have a stupid question about my BR player. I hooked up my BR today and started to watch ROUNDERS. When I click the display button on the BR player remote it shows 480P. What does that mean? How do I get 1080P?

Are you using the right cables. An go into the menus an check settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post

Got the set today....

Nice.... REAL NICE

Thanks DVraven for Wattage info....

I'm used to 6500D Kelvin screens...

My somewhat calibrated eye says Color Temp High is ~ 8000K and Low about 5000K with default gains (advanced).... So I'm running on 'High' because skin tones are better there..

Pleased with the set.... Very Pleased...

I'm seeing little difference between what I'm seeing now, and the high contrast screen at the store.... I'd need a nitmeter to even begin to technically measure it... but my eye says it isn't much different....

Firmware as delivered is 013-02 Is there info on what bugs got fixed in later code?

Is it me, or is Noise Reduction being done on chroma side only?

I like the Black color better than the grey of the 62525

Some weekend I'll bring home a display analyzer, and see what color temperature I'm really getting.... I did it on the 62525 years ago, but after all the work tweaking I wasn't better than where Eye Adjust got me.

Settings I'm using:

Picture Mode: Natural
Contrast 40
Brightness 34
Color 31
Tint 31
Sharpness 33
Color Temp High
Noise Reduction low
Energy Standard

If I had it to do again... I'd get same set...

ok trying the setting; looking a little mute to me. But i must confess that i was burning my retinas out on my own settings. But PLEASE post settings when you figure out; for the 3d, you experiencing issues ? I do not know if because my left eye is soo much weaker than my right; if that is the reason why it seems a bit blurry when action pics up. Any ideas? anyone?

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #72 of 1886 Old 09-14-2011, 12:22 AM

I'll post some settings in the morning.

Cool Beans.
post #73 of 1886 Old 09-14-2011, 08:11 AM

Hi I am using HDMI cables made by GE (Paid $28) and it is full HD with 3D support. I will check the BR player setting today.
post #74 of 1886 Old 09-14-2011, 08:20 AM

I didnt get any stick ( i am guessing USB stick) with my TV all I got was a remote and instruction guide!!
post #75 of 1886 Old 09-14-2011, 09:06 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I didnt get any stick ( i am guessing USB stick) with my TV all I got was a remote and instruction guide!!

The TV does not come with a USB stick,you use your own and download the software from the Mits web site - Support section. There are instructions there for the proceedure. Most TV manufacturers do not give details about software updates unless they offer new features or change the way you control the TV.
post #76 of 1886 Old 09-14-2011, 09:12 AM
AVS Special Member

That is Very Counter-Productive...
Mitsubishi DID give this information to me on the 62525

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

The TV does not come with a USB stick,you use your own and download the software from the Mits web site - Support section. There are instructions there for the proceedure. Most TV manufacturers do not give details about software updates unless they offer new features or change the way you control the TV.

post #77 of 1886 Old 09-14-2011, 10:21 AM

Well, these work for me so far for both 3d and regular cable viewing/movie watching. Still doing some little tweaks here and there with some setting in the Geometry menu.

Contrast:55
Brightness:28
Color:35
Tint:24
Sharpness:0
Color Temp:low
Video Noise: off

Setting: Bright

I might play with the brightness still, but its pretty close to where I like it. Everyone is different so these may not be up to your taste.

ILOVEMYHDTV: Get contacts or glasses on, wear a pair of zd101's 3d glasses over them, then see. I mean REALLY?? If your one eye is blurry its not the TV!

Cool Beans.
post #78 of 1886 Old 09-15-2011, 04:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Just got off phone with Mits..

Difference between .02 & .03 is 3D only...

If you get flickering in 3D Playback, then consider the .03 update...

I asked about the N.R. being Chroma only, and they have/know nothing about that...

!

post #79 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 06:34 AM

Liked: 13
Just curious, is the screen(surface) the same on the 640 and 740, with only the 840 having the high contrast screen? Also no mention of dark detailer etc. in the new sets, do they all have the same video innards?
post #80 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 08:14 AM

I figured out the BR player out put issue. Thank you for your help.

I just noticed last night on my TV it is taking a long time to power off once I press the power button on my remote.

When I press the power button the screen gets shut off but it goes to a dim mode. I can see the lights on the back is still turned on and the screen is dimmed. After about 15 seconds or so the green power light on the TV blinks for about 10 times then the TV shuts off. Is this normal? I called Mits and they said it is normal for all MITS DLP tv's.

Please advice.
post #81 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 09:01 AM

Quote:

I figured out the BR player out put issue. Thank you for your help.

I just noticed last night on my TV it is taking a long time to power off once I press the power button on my remote.

When I press the power button the screen gets shut off but it goes to a dim mode. I can see the lights on the back is still turned on and the screen is dimmed. After about 15 seconds or so the green power light on the TV blinks for about 10 times then the TV shuts off. Is this normal? I called Mits and they said it is normal for all MITS DLP tv's.

Please advice.

Yes its very normal as after the bulb slowly shuts down the fan stays on to cool the system. Relax, go enjoy the TV.

Cool Beans.
post #82 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avjohn View Post

Just curious, is the screen(surface) the same on the 640 and 740, with only the 840 having the high contrast screen? Also no mention of dark detailer etc. in the new sets, do they all have the same video innards?

The only screen changes are for the 82840 and 92840 with a Clear Contrast Screen. 73840 does not include this.

Cool Beans.
post #83 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 10:04 AM

DO NOT DO THE UPDATE TO 13.03 VIA USB!!!!!!!

To make a long story short, I got my TV (WD73640) on July 28. Did the update on Aug 2. Screen said that the update was successful. The TV never powered back on. All I get is the blinking green status light. Called mitsu they said its covered under warranty but the part (main board) is on b/o until Oct 18. Diagnosed over the phone btw. I have been fighting with them ever since. I did the update exactly as described in the pdf file that is on the same page you get the firmware from. To make things worse, the ONLY authorized repair shop in my area is Bobby Jones electronics. If you want a good laugh, google the reviews for Bobby Jones electronics and you will see what i am going thru now. The tv worked perfect before the update. I just felt I should have the latest firmware before I start using 3D. I love this tv but the support is way beyond acceptable.
post #84 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 10:34 AM

YES DO THE UPDATE!!! (Since there is no internet connection for this TV, yeah USB.)

It repairs a stuttering in 3D, which is what it did for me going from 13.02 to 13.03.

Obviously something was wrong with the flash process, either not waiting for it to complete or file was corrupted during download to comp then to USB key.
I had to run the Flash process twice before it actually updated. Try it again. Make sure there is only one file opened on the USB Key.

It took a really long time to update the firmware from the key for me (10 minutes) before the TV told me to turn off and back on. Alot of firmware updates are screwed up by user error.

Cool Beans.
post #85 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Quote:

YES DO THE UPDATE!!! (Since there is no internet connection for this TV, yeah USB.)

It repairs a stuttering in 3D, which is what it did for me going from 13.02 to 13.03.

Obviously something was wrong with the flash process, either not waiting for it to complete or file was corrupted during download to comp then to USB key.
I had to run the Flash process twice before it actually updated. Try it again. Make sure there is only one file opened on the USB Key.

It took a really long time to update the firmware from the key for me (10 minutes) before the TV told me to turn off and back on. Alot of firmware updates are screwed up by user error.

The update said it was successful. It did take about 10 min to complete. The tv never powered back on. I can leave it on for 24 hrs and only get the green blinking status light. I have tried doing the update about 10 more times with a different usb drive, firmware downloaded from a different pc, ect. I get no response. The picture never comes on. I have done dozens of flashes in my lifetime (PC Repair) so this is nothing new to me. I just posted this as a word of caution. The update took out my tv not user error. I am just venting because of the piss poor customer service that mitsubishi provides and the incompetence of the repair company they recommend.
post #86 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 12:02 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

The only screen changes are for the 82840 and 92840 with a Clear Contrast Screen. 73840 does not include this.

Thanks. Just appears to me that the 640 I just bought has a grayer, lighter surfaced screen than the 837 I sold. I didn't compare at the time they were both in the house. Just wanted to make sure the 640 didn't have a cheaper screen than the 740, which I'd trade up to if it did. Or if the 740 had better video stuff like dark filters or similar.

My update to 13.03 went fine, though tv(picture) only came on when the update finished. I unplugged my line conditioner that the entire media system runs through instead of just the tv.
post #87 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 01:46 PM

Thank you DRaven

I will wait for few more reviews before I do the update
post #88 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:

Well, these work for me so far for both 3d and regular cable viewing/movie watching. Still doing some little tweaks here and there with some setting in the Geometry menu.

Contrast:55
Brightness:28
Color:35
Tint:24
Sharpness:0
Color Temp:low
Video Noise: off

Setting: Bright

I might play with the brightness still, but its pretty close to where I like it. Everyone is different so these may not be up to your taste.

ILOVEMYHDTV: Get contacts or glasses on, wear a pair of zd101's 3d glasses over them, then see. I mean REALLY?? If your one eye is blurry its not the TV!

YES I DO WEAR GLASSES. Just that like the right eye is at 7.25 an my left is at 9.75; is that the differences in prescriptions. Can it effect 3d viewing.? what i hate is the reflection of light of my prescriptions glasses to the 3d glasses. It even happens at theater. An the glasses you recommend is better compared to so called MANUFACTURES RECOMMENDED.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjdfico View Post

DO NOT DO THE UPDATE TO 13.03 VIA USB!!!!!!!

To make a long story short, I got my TV (WD73640) on July 28. Did the update on Aug 2. Screen said that the update was successful. The TV never powered back on. All I get is the blinking green status light. Called mitsu they said its covered under warranty but the part (main board) is on b/o until Oct 18. Diagnosed over the phone btw. I have been fighting with them ever since. I did the update exactly as described in the pdf file that is on the same page you get the firmware from. To make things worse, the ONLY authorized repair shop in my area is Bobby Jones electronics. If you want a good laugh, google the reviews for Bobby Jones electronics and you will see what i am going thru now. The tv worked perfect before the update. I just felt I should have the latest firmware before I start using 3D. I love this tv but the support is way beyond acceptable.

that SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, WHEN i did my update the set was brand new; like a couple hours out of the box new. I got one of my old sticks an formatted it. then had fun trying to unzip with out paying for the soft ware. but got a 30 day trail and was successful. SO THE QUESTIONS IS THIS; you say you can not get it to stay on. I wondering if there is a button combo on the remote that will reset to factory default. I know there is a reset to factory in the service menu's. Only if you can get to it.....

Quote:

yup it works. but i been noticing a wavering an/or some blurring in fast motion action though. But I am wondering if it is me and my warped mind and my eyes going crazzzy.?

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #89 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILOVEMYHDTV View Post

YES I DO WEAR GLASSES.

yup it works. but i been noticing a wavering an/or some blurring in fast motion action though. But I am wondering if it is me and my warped mind and my eyes going crazzzy.?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Astigmatism_(eye) Astigmatism can cause problems with seeing 3d as I have talked to my Doctor about it. It can depend on how bad it is in an eye. My right eye has this and without my contacts in it is hard to even get the "feel or sense" of 3D even though mine is a mild case. With contacts in I have no problem getting the 3D effect and don't get the occasional headache as I would without them in. And yes, some people will never or don't get to see 3D in all its glory depending on eye prescription. Really, I am no doctor just going by what he said. But from my own experience I can say it does have an effect on the person viewing.

Looking back at my post, I didn't mean to come across crass like, can't really read an emotion over the internet. Was wondering if your vision was part of the problem as it seems so.

Cool Beans.
post #90 of 1886 Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rjdfico View Post

The update said it was successful. It did take about 10 min to complete. The tv never powered back on. I can leave it on for 24 hrs and only get the green blinking status light. I have tried doing the update about 10 more times with a different usb drive, firmware downloaded from a different pc, ect. I get no response. The picture never comes on. I have done dozens of flashes in my lifetime (PC Repair) so this is nothing new to me. I just posted this as a word of caution. The update took out my tv not user error. I am just venting because of the piss poor customer service that mitsubishi provides and the incompetence of the repair company they recommend.

Sorry about that man. So its not possible to do a system reset??

Cool Beans.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page