2Likes

post #1861 of 1886 Old 11-09-2013, 07:56 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post

The easy solution... Sell the 3DC-1000 kit as you don't need it for this TV. You'll probably get a nice chunk of change since those are rare. Looks like maybe $200 from the few current ebay auctions.

Buy this emitter:
http://www.amazon.com/Dimensional-3ACTIVE-Emitter-Compatible-Mitsubishi/dp/B005M3BIMO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1378879100&sr=8-2&keywords=3d+emitter

Buy as many of these glasses as you need:
http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-3-3D-Glasses/dp/B00562O8U0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378879213&sr=8-1&keywords=ps3+3d+glasses

Use the rest of the cash for a 3D Blu-Ray player.

biggrin.gif
I followed this advice and am quite pleased with the results. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1862 of 1886 Old 01-05-2014, 08:21 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
As I may have mentioned before.... I work at a TV Station, in Chicago.

An 'Issue' regarding "Descriptive Audio" arose last week, and I found out that my MITS 73640 with latest firmware was one of the very few sets that would display "Descriptive Audio"

In Menu/Setup/Language/OTA Tuner/ "OTHER"

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #1863 of 1886 Old 04-06-2014, 04:59 AM

Hi all - avsfan w/ a mitsubuishi wd-73640 question - please correct me if i'm posting to the wrong forum - also - I'll try to be brief

I have an opportunity to purchase one of these sets used @ $500 today - so a few quick questions

1.  How do i check the firmware version - ? - I see 13.06 - is the latest - if the consensus is that 13.04 is preferred, could someone send that to me ? - 3D is not a concern for me - color accuracy - detail - and a lack of motion effects during sporting events ARE.

2.  How do i check the current bulb hours - I'm guess i could answer that myself - manual - but want to see if the guy is telling me the truth about the set having limited use when i inspect it before buying / paying

3.  In previous visits for alternative sets - the 'official thread' seemed to have an owner who would provide a 'master listing' of preferred settings - I'm not really looking to do a professional calibration - but i'd like to reset to factory defaults on this used set - and do a setting or 2 or 4 or 10 at a consumer / non-professional or advanced level.  I see - Normal - Cool - High bulb - was recommended by one poster

4.  Finally, I've been using a samsung led-dlp for the last six years - which i've been very happy with the color accuracy / performance - can i expect as good performance from this set with the mits 6 - color - engine - 

5.  Anyone expect parts to become an issue in the near future

ok, I'm done - please tell me if i need to post these same questions elsewhere - big fan of the power posters here

Doug

post #1864 of 1886 Old 04-06-2014, 07:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 99
Jan J, the poster directly above your post, can answer all of your questions as he's an expert on these sets. You may want to try sending him a PM.
post #1865 of 1886 Old 04-06-2014, 07:55 AM

Hey thanks for the suggestion - just did that - :-)

post #1866 of 1886 Old 04-06-2014, 02:27 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by droemelt View Post

1.  How do i check the firmware version - ? - I see 13.06 - is the latest - if the consensus is that 13.04 is preferred, could someone send that to me ? - 3D is not a concern for me - color accuracy - detail - and a lack of motion effects during sporting events ARE.

2.  How do i check the current bulb hours - I'm guess i could answer that myself - manual - but want to see if the guy is telling me the truth about the set having limited use when i inspect it before buying / paying

3.  In previous visits for alternative sets - the 'official thread' seemed to have an owner who would provide a 'master listing' of preferred settings - I'm not really looking to do a professional calibration - but i'd like to reset to factory defaults on this used set - and do a setting or 2 or 4 or 10 at a consumer / non-professional or advanced level.  I see - Normal - Cool - High bulb - was recommended by one poster

4.  Finally, I've been using a samsung led-dlp for the last six years - which i've been very happy with the color accuracy / performance - can i expect as good performance from this set with the mits 6 - color - engine - 

5.  Anyone expect parts to become an issue in the near future

1. Press menu on the remote, it's the numbers in the lower left corner of the menu box. I don't know where you get that 13.04 is preferred. Upgrade to the newest if you're not on 13.06 since they fixed an issue with the red on white in one the recent updates.

2. Press menu then 2-4-7-0 on the remote, it's the set hours not lamp hours. If the lamp has been replaced then you will have no idea what the current hours are.

3. Copying settings on the internet isn't recommended. Every set is different from the next. Without a colorimeter or spectrophotometer it's just the blind leading the blind.

4 - 5 No idea... I know the lamps when up $20 in cost from the last time I bought one. :/

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1867 of 1886 Old 04-06-2014, 08:55 PM

I've been searching for an answer for a while now but have yet to find anything remotely close to whats going on.

Essentially when I am watching TV the set will randomly shut down and that green power light starts to blink. I think it blinks for around 30 seconds (I havent actually timed or counted the number of blinks). After I turn the TV back on it beings to operate normally again. I havent noticed any color distortion, flickering or anything else abnormal.

Anyone else experienced that before? Any ideas what I could do to keep this from happening?

Also on a side note, I've had the TV for around a year and a half and was wondering if there is any kind of preventative maintenance that I should do to keep anything bad from happening to it. Usually will clean the dust that collects behind the unit. I can only imagine what kind of dust might be lurking inside.

post #1868 of 1886 Old 04-09-2014, 03:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by klturi421 View Post

I've been searching for an answer for a while now but have yet to find anything remotely close to whats going on.

Essentially when I am watching TV the set will randomly shut down and that green power light starts to blink. I think it blinks for around 30 seconds (I havent actually timed or counted the number of blinks). After I turn the TV back on it beings to operate normally again. I havent noticed any color distortion, flickering or anything else abnormal.

Anyone else experienced that before? Any ideas what I could do to keep this from happening?

Also on a side note, I've had the TV for around a year and a half and was wondering if there is any kind of preventative maintenance that I should do to keep anything bad from happening to it. Usually will clean the dust that collects behind the unit. I can only imagine what kind of dust might be lurking inside.
These sets shutdown if they get a power spike or spurious digital signal. Nonetheless, double check your firmware version, I believe the latest is 13.06.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #1869 of 1886 Old 04-10-2014, 05:11 AM

Anyone got specific instructions on installing the updated firmware 13.06 - 

Thanks in advance

Doug

post #1870 of 1886 Old 04-10-2014, 06:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by droemelt View Post

Anyone got specific instructions on installing the updated firmware 13.06 - 

Thanks in advance

Doug

http://mitsubishi-tv.com/

it's under "documents and downloads"

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #1871 of 1886 Old 04-18-2014, 03:01 AM

I confess to not having read this entire thread AND to not being an expert

I have read comments hear and there that 1 persons setting cannot be relied upon for EVERY SET

But as 'I think' my story's pretty interesting - I decided to share

About 2 weeks ago I decided to move on a Mits WD 73640 which I was able to purchase used for $525 - 

We the help of several forum members - i was able to check the hours on the set =  210  :-)  

I bought in home with the help of lowes and hertz for another 75 and tweaked the basic setting using a reference disk -

of course - everything was over cranked - I settled in on  the following

Picture mode - Bright

Contrast - 28

Brightness - 33

Color - 33

Tint - 32

Sharp - 32

Temp - low

video noise - off

At this point the picture looked pretty good for blu-ray but the red's and even the greens at times were crazy saturated

I was overall - very conflicted - because the colors didn't look as good as my previous set - a Samsung HL61A750

Well this morning I decided to go into the advanced menu - and tweak the gamma - down from 2.2 to 1.8

I'm now very happy  :-)

I share this story to encourage others to either have a set calibrated professionally or be willing to crack the hood - provided reset is an option - 

There's just no reason to live with a set the doesn't seem to be right in todays day and age - - - - 

Thanks for everyones help

old corps likes this.
post #1872 of 1886 Old 04-21-2014, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm glad you got it the way you want it so quickly. My last calibration using a meter and software took four to four and a half hours.

post #1873 of 1886 Old 05-02-2014, 12:42 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 53
Speaking of calibration....uhhhhhh. Dreading do it. I just changed the bulb on mine at the 4500 hour mark. (Bulb still was medium brightness.) Accidently reset the set. Wrote the setting down 3 year ago. Can't find them. Worse, I don't have access to the gear. Gonna give the Disney WoW disc another shot. It was nice before but not quite the level my buddy could do with his laptop and calibration software. Took him almost 3 hours before. I don't know if I want to do this again...

Still love my 73 inch DLP though. The TV that has me thinking about upgrading is the Sony 4k 79.6" coming out. (Or the new 85") wink.gif

Everyone here still have theirs?

Cool Beans.
post #1874 of 1886 Old 05-02-2014, 05:40 PM
Advanced Member

Yeah still got mine. Getting almost time for a new lamp since it can't maintain 35 ftL anymore on bright. Mits upped the price on the lamps last I looked. frown.gif

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #1875 of 1886 Old 05-22-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

When I was redoing my 3DLUT calibration for madVR I measured my the light output of the lamp. Ugh it's down to about 15ftL at it's brightest setting (lamp on bright and contrast maxed). It was 30ftL at the beginning of march. Time to order a new lamp. I just bought one less than a year ago. :/

post #1876 of 1886 Old 05-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Recently got my TV back from being serviced, all they really did from what I can tell is give me a different set. Im cool with that but now all my settings are gone. Ive gone back in and got the picture back to what I can remember it was at. My only issue now is geometry. Going from a 55" LCD with near perfect straight lines I am now looking at pretty decent curves

I am able to access the advanced settings 2-4-5-7 and can adjust. My only issue is that I have not ever been good at correcting the geometry. Are there any tutorials or videos that show how to correct said geometry settings?

post #1877 of 1886 Old 05-29-2014, 07:14 AM

I quit doing Geometry Correction when I notice loss of picture quality with the loss of 1-1 pixel mapping. Mine only has 3 percent overscan so its not bad at all.

Yes geometry correction takes a while to get right. You always save 1 one point ahead of the last point adjusted before exiting. There is not simple task to it.

Cool Beans.
post #1878 of 1886 Old 06-21-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
When I was redoing my 3DLUT calibration for madVR I measured my the light output of the lamp. Ugh it's down to about 15ftL at it's brightest setting (lamp on bright and contrast maxed). It was 30ftL at the beginning of march. Time to order a new lamp. I just bought one less than a year ago. :/

Sorry I didn't look earlier. Wow. You are eating bulbs bud. My bulb was dim at 4500 hrs. but I kept it for backup as it was still quite watchable. Are you using the Bright or Standard settings in the Energy Menu???

Well any who, I was at BestBuy in Novi Mi yesterday and saw the new Samsung 8550 4K UHD sets and my daughter and I are really impressed! (not the curved ones) LCD don't impress me at all but boy have they come along way. I think by October I will be picking out either the 78" curved or the 85" flat version. The 85 is under $10K.

Don't know what I am going to do with this DLP though once that happens.

Cool Beans.
post #1879 of 1886 Old 06-21-2014, 05:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post
Sorry I didn't look earlier. Wow. You are eating bulbs bud.
Turns out it was passive USB extenders giving an incorrect reading. I was about to order a new lamp and decided to measure it again without the passive extenders and it was at 30ftL still. I knew it didn't look dim.
DRaven72 likes this.

post #1880 of 1886 Old 06-21-2014, 07:44 PM

Well good. That just seemed like too short of a time between bulbs. lol Glad to hear you fixed it.

Cool Beans.
post #1881 of 1886 Old 08-13-2014, 10:05 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Help Mitsubishi Wd-73640

It was working good, now the screen/picture is very dark, what would be causing this issue. I have checked all my settings they are still good nothing has changed. Someone mentioned a mirror may be dirty? how can you check to find out. Or could it the lamp?
any help/or in site would be great Thanks
post #1882 of 1886 Old 08-13-2014, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by mperry24 View Post
It was working good, now the screen/picture is very dark, what would be causing this issue. I have checked all my settings they are still good nothing has changed. Someone mentioned a mirror may be dirty? how can you check to find out. Or could it the lamp?
any help/or in site would be great Thanks

Certainly could be the lamp. Most likely IS if it's been a long time since you changed it. Any idea how many hours are on it? You can see the total hours on the TV itself by hitting MENU on the remote, then the #'s 2 4 7 0. Then hit MENU again to exit.

Ed
|Tch0rT| likes this.
post #1883 of 1886 Old 08-14-2014, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
Certainly could be the lamp. Most likely IS if it's been a long time since you changed it. Any idea how many hours are on it? You can see the total hours on the TV itself by hitting MENU on the remote, then the #'s 2 4 7 0. Then hit MENU again to exit.

Ed
its never been changed ive had it for a little over 2 and half years, so sounds like a very good chance its the lamp then.
post #1884 of 1886 Old 08-14-2014, 05:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
its never been changed ive had it for a little over 2 and half years, so sounds like a very good chance its the lamp then.

VERY good chance. This is for the 73640- and many others.........

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Mitsub...shi+73640+lamp

Ed
post #1885 of 1886 Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by old corps View Post
VERY good chance. This is for the 73640- and many others.........

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-Mitsub...shi+73640+lamp

Ed
checked hours on it last night had 9756 hours on it, so good idea to change then
post #1886 of 1886 Old 08-15-2014, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
checked hours on it last night had 9756 hours on it, so good idea to change then

WOW!!! That's a LOT of hours on one lamp! You'll love your "new" TV after you install the new lamp!

Ed
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Projectors

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page