2011 Mitsubishi DLP WD-73640 official thread - Page 65 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes
post #1921 of 1931 Old 10-17-2015, 03:42 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked: 108
I noticed an anomaly on my WD73640 regarding color space (I originally thought it might have to do with an aftermarket Philips lamp). My primary source is an HTPC with an AMD APU A8-6500 w/HD8570D. When I switch to RGB 4:4:4 Full or RGB 4:4:4 Limited the color space shifts.

RGB (I'm pretty sure I did test between 8bit and 10bit color in CCC and no difference, I suppose I should try 12 bit just to be sure):

100% Red appears and orangish red...

YCbCr either 4:4:4 Full or 4:2:2 Limited:

The weird thing is my PS3 outputs RGB when playing games and the red does not appear orangish red like it does on my HTPC. Anyone know what the heck is going on? Is this a glitch maybe on my graphics card with the AMD? The reason why I think this might have to do with AMD is because I'm pretty sure last year I had my HTPC set to RGB 4:4:4 full and 100% did no appear as orangish red and then at some other point in time when I recalibrated I had noticed it change to orangish red so I think it might be a change in the driver or CCC. I do have PC's with Intel and nVidia chipsets but it's a PITA to hook them up to test so I haven't gotten around to it yet but I need to.

I'm also experiencing odd light output problems. I just replaced the lamp and I can not get 35ft-L at all. When setting my HTPC to RGB I can get about 32ft-L with contrast maxed. With YCbCr I can hit about 25ft-L. To make it even more complex when I throw my Darbee into the chain with my eeColor 3DLUT box it reduces YCbCr mode light output to like 20ft-L (RGB is unaffected).

Insert Charlie Brown UGH here...

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 10-17-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1922 of 1931 Old 10-17-2015, 04:30 PM
Advanced Member

I just hooked up my laptop with an Intel HD. RGB seems fine but when I switch to xvYCC (there is no other options I could find for straight YCbCr in the Intel control panel) it looks just like RGB does with my AMD. Definitely a problem with AMD. I got some digging to do.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 10-17-2015 at 04:34 PM.
post #1923 of 1931 Old 10-18-2015, 01:10 AM
Advanced Member

I found the culprit of the color space issue, it's my miniDSP nanoAVR-HD.

Now if I can figure out why I'm not easily hitting 35ft-L.

Last edited by |Tch0rT|; 10-18-2015 at 01:14 AM.
post #1924 of 1931 Old 10-18-2015, 03:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 612 Post(s)
Liked: 507
Quote:
Originally Posted by |Tch0rT| View Post
...Now if I can figure out why I'm not easily hitting 35ft-L.

I would say it's the lamp.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #1925 of 1931 Old 10-18-2015, 03:45 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
I would say it's the lamp.
It's brand new... :/ waiting to hit the 100 hours before I complain. Should be a few days.

post #1926 of 1931 Old 11-18-2015, 04:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello all, been a long time since I've been back to the forums. Hope all are well. Have an issue with my 73640, bought it 3.5 years ago. Almost 2 years ago I started to notice a slight and slow "flicker" on the left side of the screen, it came and went sporadically. It was so slight my rather oblivious wife couldn't see it. Learned to live with it and ignored it for the most part. Fast forward to last week, I replaced the original lamp (yeah, original!) with a genuine Philips lamp kit. Holy brightness, it's great to see what I've been missing BUT that flicker is back (probably never left, just couldn't see it) and it's across the whole screen. It's probably a 1hz flicker rate, very slow and still rather faint. I'm not opposed to replacing some aged parts to keep this guy working as we love everything else about it and don't have any plans to replace it. Google search and AVS search didn't come up with much on this particular symptom. Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated.
post #1927 of 1931 Old 11-18-2015, 06:47 PM
Advanced Member

Try turning your lamp on Bright mode. Sometimes that helps but I still occasionally get a little flicker too. :/

post #1928 of 1931 Old 11-19-2015, 10:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatoEnFuego View Post
Hello all, been a long time since I've been back to the forums. Hope all are well. Have an issue with my 73640, bought it 3.5 years ago. Almost 2 years ago I started to notice a slight and slow "flicker" on the left side of the screen, it came and went sporadically. It was so slight my rather oblivious wife couldn't see it. Learned to live with it and ignored it for the most part. Fast forward to last week, I replaced the original lamp (yeah, original!) with a genuine Philips lamp kit. Holy brightness, it's great to see what I've been missing BUT that flicker is back (probably never left, just couldn't see it) and it's across the whole screen. It's probably a 1hz flicker rate, very slow and still rather faint. I'm not opposed to replacing some aged parts to keep this guy working as we love everything else about it and don't have any plans to replace it. Google search and AVS search didn't come up with much on this particular symptom. Thanks for reading and any advice is appreciated.

Try replacing the lamp with an actual Mitsubishi-sourced lamp. https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/Pro...Model/WD-73640

Quote:
replacement lamps obtained separately from the Lamp Cartridge and/or Lamp Assemblies obtained from unauthorized sellers may be incorrect for your television, may not fit or perform properly and may even damage your television. MEUS VIS can not be responsible for the performance, reliability or safety of any replacement lamps that are obtained from unauthorized sources.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #1929 of 1931 Old Yesterday, 02:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Last night, during Superbowl, there was a tremendous explosion, like a gun went off...
DLP went dark, Green Light flashing...
Pulled power plug, waited 5 min. Plugged in and after it booted, Powered up, and after about 5 min later, red light came on, but audio was output from Coaxial audio output or speakers.

Powered down. pulled plug..... Pulled lamp.... Light element had exploded, but glass was kept inside reflector case.

I'm still under 5 yr warranty.... Called & explained.... and they're sending a new bulb to me...

3-5 days and I'll find out if that was it....

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
post #1930 of 1931 Old Yesterday, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan J View Post
Last night, during Superbowl, there was a tremendous explosion, like a gun went off...
DLP went dark, Green Light flashing...
Pulled power plug, waited 5 min. Plugged in and after it booted, Powered up, and after about 5 min later, red light came on, but audio was output from Coaxial audio output or speakers.

Powered down. pulled plug..... Pulled lamp.... Light element had exploded, but glass was kept inside reflector case.

I'm still under 5 yr warranty.... Called & explained.... and they're sending a new bulb to me...

3-5 days and I'll find out if that was it....
It was. Mine popped Saturday.

post #1931 of 1931 Unread Today, 01:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 15
New Lamp assy arrived today....

Let it sit an hour to acclimate to house temps.

In meantime vacuumed the DLP Lamp area and lensz...

Dust only, no broken glass...

Installed, and reset contrast and brightness using SMPTE 219 on all inputs...

Back UP! !

Looking for a 1939 Indian Motocycle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Projectors