2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 3969 Old 08-24-2011, 01:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The manual is wrong. Step 5 should be press the "VIDEO" button to activate the 4:3 mode. I hope this helps.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 3969 Old 08-24-2011, 02:44 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathbreath View Post

The manual is wrong. Step 5 should be press the "VIDEO" button to activate the 4:3 mode. I hope this helps.

That was it. Thanks!
post #273 of 3969 Old 08-24-2011, 02:52 PM

How is everyone finding the geometry in general? I just got my 73740 and there is a pretty significant bow in the geometry in the top 3rd of the screen. Horizontal straight lines dip noticeably in that top third. I have done the edge geometry and gotten pretty good, but this problem is not fixable by the edge geometry settings. I noticed that the plastic back of the TV has a bow in it as well - if I stand in front of the TV and look over it and down the back, it is definitely concave. I wonder if that is normal? I am otherwise liking the TV, but I am trying to figure out if I got a bad one or if this is somewhat normal?
post #274 of 3969 Old 08-24-2011, 04:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 412
How do you adjust horizontal and vertical?, I just got the outer edge done, 4:3 is another story all together Other wise simple as pie
post #275 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 05:18 AM

After you complete the 4:3 step, press "VIDEO" again and a line across the top will be displayed. Use FWD/RWV to select the best one again. Then "VIDEO" again for the next step. Different models have a different number of areas that can be adjusted. Some just a vertical line at the top and another at the bottom. Some have as many as 4. Get some string and masking tape. Measure equal distance from both edges of the screen to the line and tape the string down to give yourself a visual reference. There is no such thing as perfect, so don't expect too much.
post #276 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 05:23 AM

Quote:

After you complete the 4:3 step, press "VIDEO" again and a line across the top will be displayed. Use FWD/RWV to select the best one again. Then "VIDEO" again for the next step. Different models have a different number of areas that can be adjusted. Some just a vertical line at the top and another at the bottom. Some have as many as 4. Get some string and masking tape. Measure equal distance from both edges of the screen to the line and tape the string down to give yourself a visual reference. There is no such thing as perfect, so don't expect too much.

Thanks so much. Great tips. Really appreciated!!
post #277 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 06:35 AM

We got our 73740 yesterday, and it's a beautiful thing. We watched "Legends of the Guardians" in 3D last night & were amazed the whole time. Our camera just broke so I got to get one of my friends over to take few pictures of this thing. Only problem I've seen so far is we've got some geometry problems too but it's not to bad. The picture on this thing is great, and we're very pleased so far. I'm going to get brave in a few days to see if I can fix the geometry issue. Or maybe see if a pro can do it when they calibrate this TV after 300hrs.

We love this 73740.............
post #278 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 03:05 PM

This adjustment won't cure bow. Your mirror may be sagging or possibly jarred loose from it's mounts. That's right, they are so thin the weight in the center causes them to to sag in the center. To check this, you have to remove the screen assembly. Are you sure this symptom is bad enough to pursue?
post #279 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 03:15 PM

The screen bow is pretty bad in the top half of the screen. A horizontal straight line dips about 1/2 inch in the middle. Is the concave plastic back normal?

Rather than go through the hassle of getting a replacement, I would be willing to give fixing it myself a shot. Any tips?

Btw, the goofs who delivered it slid it out the back of the truck and pretty much stood the box on its side. If something is knocked out of whack in am sure that did it.
post #280 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 03:17 PM

Quote:

This adjustment won't cure bow. Your mirror may be sagging or possibly jarred loose from it's mounts. That's right, they are so thin the weight in the center causes them to to sag in the center. To check this, you have to remove the screen assembly. Are you sure this symptom is bad enough to pursue?

My last post was not clear... It is bad enough to pursue. Any tips for removing the screen assembly?
post #281 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 05:55 PM

A half inch is excessive... very. This being a new set, I would go after getting it replaced, particularity since you witnessed the physical abuse. Yes, that probably caused the problem. No one will thank you for trying to correct it. They will claim YOU messed it up!
post #282 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 06:33 PM

Quote:

A half inch is excessive... very. This being a new set, I would go after getting it replaced, particularity since you witnessed the physical abuse. Yes, that probably caused the problem. No one will thank you for trying to correct it. They will claim YOU messed it up!

You are right on. Good advice. I get impatient, and also hate wasting a vaca day having to wait for the delivery, but you are 100% right.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to go into the geometry settings and see how much I could improve it. The good news is that there are several horizontal lines that can be tweaked (now that I know that the Video button advances to the next geo setting), and after working through them for a while I have improved things significantly. It is now less than a quarter of an inch bow at the worst point, and much less visible to "eye test". I am wondering if at this point if what I am seeing is "normal", and getting a replacement would result in similar results.

I looked in the side ports trying to see if anything looked awry with the mirror mounts, and I could not see anything obviously wrong.

I otherwise love the set, and with my luck, getting it replaced would result in getting another one with some other type of problem. I am thinking I am going to stick with this one.........or maybe not. It sucks being anal. Wife thinks it is ridiculous that I even see the issue.
post #283 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 PM

You have a rockin' TV. It's now setup to your standard. Kick back... enjoy!
post #284 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 10:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

You are right on. Good advice. I get impatient, and also hate wasting a vaca day having to wait for the delivery, but you are 100% right.

I figured it wouldn't hurt to go into the geometry settings and see how much I could improve it. The good news is that there are several horizontal lines that can be tweaked (now that I know that the Video button advances to the next geo setting), and after working through them for a while I have improved things significantly. It is now less than a quarter of an inch bow at the worst point, and much less visible to "eye test". I am wondering if at this point if what I am seeing is "normal", and getting a replacement would result in similar results.

I looked in the side ports trying to see if anything looked awry with the mirror mounts, and I could not see anything obviously wrong.

I otherwise love the set, and with my luck, getting it replaced would result in getting another one with some other type of problem. I am thinking I am going to stick with this one.........or maybe not. It sucks being anal. Wife thinks it is ridiculous that I even see the issue.

My 73738 has the same geometry issues as yours at the top with a perfect bottom. I was able to get it satisfactory through the geometry settings as well! I'm lovin this TV very much
post #285 of 3969 Old 08-25-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:

You have a rockin' TV. It's now setup to your standard. Kick back... enjoy!

You have really helped keep me sane while getting used to the quirks of my new TV. Thanks again!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

My 73738 has the same geometry issues as yours at the top with a perfect bottom. I was able to get it satisfactory through the geometry settings as well! I'm lovin this TV very much

Thanks for posting. It makes me much more comfortable with my tv, knowing that it is most likely normal quirks of these big DLPs, especially since others are seeing similar things. Now that I have the geometry significantly better I am just starting to simply enjoy the TV.

I watched some NHL on it earlier and it looked AWESOME.
post #286 of 3969 Old 08-26-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmp14 View Post

You have really helped keep me sane while getting used to the quirks of my new TV. Thanks again!!!!

Thanks for posting. It makes me much more comfortable with my tv, knowing that it is most likely normal quirks of these big DLPs, especially since others are seeing similar things. Now that I have the geometry significantly better I am just starting to simply enjoy the TV.

I watched some NHL on it earlier and it looked AWESOME.

Our 73740 has a little Geometry problem, and this seems to be normal thing with these huge Mits. I'll go into the Service Menu to see if I can help it later on since you’ve had some success going from 1/2” to a 1/4”. Our 73740 seems to be about a ¼” out right now, and it’s only the top right part of the screen. It’s not bad enough to be a deal breaker though. This TV is just amazing, and we've never been so immersed while watching a Movie like this beforehand. Shoot, my wife cried happy tears during a killer part in 3D Legends of the Guardians that 1st night. I was like.............."I'm the Man, I'm the one that's suppose to be overwhelmed by this killer TV"

Anyone in the market for a 3D TV should really consider these Mitsubishi TV’s without question. Even regular 2D stuff looks amazing on this TV, and any Movie we've watched already is like rewatching it for the 1st time on this thing. This 73740 does show any flaws in non-HD stuff because it's so big. So any source not up the par (Non-HD or Non-Digital signals) is going to get exposed by this TV, but it’s still watchable. It's just really shines with Blu-ray's or HD cable; it takes the content to a whole new level then.

Now I’m off to cut down our existing TV stand. It’s 30”now, and I‘m going to mod it to be only 18’ high. After testing viewing heights, this was the best height for the best viewing experience. See ya…………
post #287 of 3969 Old 08-26-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:

Thanks for that. I am quite happy with overall geometry after going through each of the adjustments. I too had significant bowing in the upper third which is now almost gone.
post #288 of 3969 Old 08-26-2011, 01:42 PM

I received my 73740 last night and set it up. it looks quite good, although I do see a little geometry problem on the upper left in 4:3, so I'll try the service adjustments soon. I do also see a little bit of silk screen effect as well as some pixelation in fast movement scenes but I only watched Comcast HD so I suspect some of this might be broadcast quality/compression related. I'll connect my home entertainment system and bluray player tonight, so i'll do another test afterwards. I only liked the Natural setting for the colors, the others seemed excessive.

By the way, the Mitsubishi site already has a software update for the 73740 (version 13.03) so I'm going to check my version tonight to see if it needs upgrading. I also did not see any release notes to indicate what it might be for.

I'll try to take some photos tonight...
post #289 of 3969 Old 08-28-2011, 12:05 AM

How much of a difference would this new DLP be if coming from a 61" Samsung DLP? Is it really worth the upgrade? My Samsung is still running strong after 5 years.
post #290 of 3969 Old 08-28-2011, 10:10 AM

Alright, so here is a first set of photos of my 73740. I use this in a very bright open area living room (first photo shows you the room a little), so I specifically took photos during day time so you can see the reflections. Photos are taken with an iPad2, the actual screen is not as grainy and the reflections are about 50% less in real life (I don't know why they get magnified in photos). In reality even in extreme brightness most movies are perfectly fine except for very dark scenes where reflections do become very bothersome. I had a Panasonic PT50LC13 LCD rear-projection before this and I can say that this is much brighter than that and easier to watch in daylight. But it's still not perfect. Photos are from the Disney WOW disc on bluray. I have one major problem that I'll put in the next post.

Attachment 221216

Attachment 221217

Attachment 221218

Attachment 221219

Attachment 221220

Attachment 221221

Attachment 221222

Attachment 221223

Attachment 221224

Attachment 221225

Let me know if you want night time photos or any other photos and I'll try to post those as well.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #291 of 3969 Old 08-28-2011, 10:22 AM

I do have a couple concerns. I went through the Wow calibration disc yesterday ( my 300 hours is not up yet but I'll do another one then). Two things I noticed:

1. In the contrast calibration, even when the contrast is up at max, I can't quite get the white as bright as the test suggests. It's quite good but the super whites don't quite blend into the background. I did try various brightness values but the best is about at 28-30

2. More importantly the Scaling tests are a disaster. The first scaling test for example is supposed to show a single pixel black and white checkerboard that is supposed to look like a smooth complete gray from a distance. Instead here is what it looks like

Attachment 221226

So there is significant banding on the screen. Horizontal and vertical scaling tests show the same problem as well. I checked to see if some kind of video processing is leading to it, but nothing in my DVD player (Panasonic BDT210), receiver (Onkyo NR-TX609) or TV seems to be the culprit, although I cannot claim expertise in all the settings of all these devices.

Does anyone have an explanation or suggestion? Does anyone have the WOW disc to see if they get similar patterns?
LL
post #292 of 3969 Old 08-28-2011, 11:04 AM

I'm concerned about these "jaggies" I saw today. This is a SD image via Tivo and Comcast. Is this an issue with the TV, the Tivo, the broadcast or a combination? I have all of the Mits enhancements off.
LL

A is A
post #293 of 3969 Old 08-28-2011, 12:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanz View Post

I'm concerned about these "jaggies" I saw today. This is a SD image via Tivo and Comcast. Is this an issue with the TV, the Tivo, the broadcast or a combination? I have all of the Mits enhancements off.

Iv'e had my 73738 for just about a month and a half now and I have comcast as well, and I noticed these same jaggies as well But rest assured its only on the Fox channels as far as I can tell. Didn't notice it on any others
post #294 of 3969 Old 08-28-2011, 01:20 PM

OK - I had a feeling it might be a bad broadcast.

A is A
post #295 of 3969 Old 08-29-2011, 01:52 PM
rsk

Thanks to everyone that has been posting pics and experience with the set so far.

I am still on my 65831 and one of the things that I've never loved about the set is the 12-15 sec power-up time and 10-sec input delay; meaning I have to program a 10-sec delay into my universal remote before the switch-input command to the TV can be sent otherwise it is ignored.

This means people, like my wife, have to know to stand there and keep pointing the remote at the TV while it is warming up.

I am wondering if this changed at all in the x40 series (840 or 740) or is the startup delay (as the screen warms up and accepts input) still *about* 10 seconds give or take?

Thanks guys!

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #296 of 3969 Old 08-29-2011, 02:31 PM

@rsk,
there is still startup delay
post #297 of 3969 Old 08-29-2011, 05:00 PM
rsk

Got it, thanks Bonsai.

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #298 of 3969 Old 08-29-2011, 05:35 PM

Great forum guys.
I've really enjoyed reading all the info over the last several weeks.
I recently picked up the WD-73740 and am really loving it so far.
One of my big questions for anyone in the know, is what type of 3-D
glasses are you guys using for this model?
Contacted Mits. a couple of weeks ago and 2 different reps suggested
the DLP Expand X102 or the Samsung SSG-2100AB.
It's confusing as heck trying to get correct info on what this TV can use
with the internal emitter.
Oh yeah, today I'm hearing the Samsungs do not in fact work with this
unit. Great. But now Mits. is recommending the Expand 3DG-X103 ???
Do any other brand of glasses work with the WD-73740 internal emitter?
Thanks in advance for everyones help!
post #299 of 3969 Old 08-29-2011, 07:13 PM

How are people finding the vertical geometry? I have been in the geometry settings on my 73740 many times trying to find the best 4:3 geometry (I think that is what they call it) and I have chosen the best setting, but it is still bad.

At the worst area, a straight line running down vertically runs pretty straight at the top but starts to bow 2/3 of the way down and is out a bit over a 1/4" at the bottom. It does not sound like much, but is very noticeable. It bows similarly on both sides of the screen a.k.a. "pincushion".

As usual, I am wondering if I got a "bad one". As I mentioned earlier in the thread, the TV (in the box) was almost stood on it's side while the idiots took it out of the truck, but looking into the ports on the sides I do not see anything out of whack with the mirror or the brackets that hold the mirror.

I am trying my darnedest to just get over it and enjoy the TV, but I can't help but be annoyed by it.

So I ask, is this degree of pincushion "normal" for these TVs? What is everyone else's experience?
post #300 of 3969 Old 08-29-2011, 07:47 PM

My 82740 arrives tomorrow, I'm sure I'll have plenty of questions for you guys. I hope the delivery guys are good at their jobs. Thanks again to this community!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page