post #3241 of 3969 Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman423 View Post

Hello everybody.
New to this site and the proud new owner of a WD-92840.
I am really loving the picture on this television. Im going to pay for an ISF calibration in a few months to really get everything out of it.
Unboxing the TV. I am 6 feet tall.

Every time I see that pic of you and the 92840 my envy increases. That is a huge TV!! I'm hoping to have one (92840/92842) this month.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3242 of 3969 Old 08-08-2012, 06:30 PM
g4s

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by enthuzist View Post

Every time I see that pic of you and the 92840 my envy increases. That is a huge TV!! I'm hoping to have one (92840/92842) this month.
We got a 92840 a couple weeks ago. We love it. There's still some great deals on the 840 out there.
This is the 5th Mits RPTV we've had over the last 25 years. Had a big oak 45" in the 80's, then a 50". A 65907 in 2001, 73C9 and this one. Finally the size is right!
post #3243 of 3969 Old 08-08-2012, 06:40 PM

Yeah, I was offered a nice deal today on an 840, but I still want to see what the deal on the 842 will be before I decide. I figure I can't lose either way.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #3244 of 3969 Old 08-08-2012, 09:46 PM

Liked: 10
I'm still waiting for an online deal on the 73 or 82... ;(
post #3245 of 3969 Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 AM

Liked: 13
can someone post a pic of what the first geometry screen should look like when properly arranged? im still having a bit of trouble although its much better than factory.
BrentBridge likes this.
post #3246 of 3969 Old 08-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:

Good for you!. I really like it more and more every day. It fits in my front room perfect and I am just over 10 feet from the screen. The stand is just a bit too high but that can be taken care of down the road.

I ordered an Oppo 3d blu-ray and xpand 3d glasses to enjoy that aspect of the TV also.
post #3247 of 3969 Old 08-09-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowman423 View Post

Good for you!. I really like it more and more every day. It fits in my front room perfect and I am just over 10 feet from the screen. The stand is just a bit too high but that can be taken care of down the road.
I ordered an Oppo 3d blu-ray and xpand 3d glasses to enjoy that aspect of the TV also.

DW just looked at the picture and is now getting hesitant on the size. You have the same distant to the screen as we do. I found out that I will be ordering by the end of next week, so hopefully it will not take too long to ship. I am also getting the Oppo 93 and the MonsterVision RF 3D glasses for the family. I just wonder how they will hook up to the RF emitter of the 842. If I have to go with the 840 due to availability, then I know how to connect them.

post #3248 of 3969 Old 08-09-2012, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealhershey View Post

I'm still waiting for an online deal on the 73 or 82... ;(

There are quite a few going on right now. I know Paul's is throwing in 3D glasses along with a discounted price, of course you have to either call or chat online with them to get it since it isn't advertised. Walts was also doing some unadvertised sales, just call them. They are both great to work with. Just make sure you stick with an authorized dealer.

post #3249 of 3969 Old 08-09-2012, 12:18 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:

There are quite a few going on right now. I know Paul's is throwing in 3D glasses along with a discounted price, of course you have to either call or chat online with them to get it since it isn't advertised. Walts was also doing some unadvertised sales, just call them. They are both great to work with. Just make sure you stick with an authorized dealer.

Be careful of the shipping there have been several horror stories on here about that.
post #3250 of 3969 Old 08-09-2012, 12:22 PM

Yes, that is why I would be ultimately working with the local store just a few minutes away. The store will match their online prices which is great, since it is their guaranteed free white glove delivery. Of course Walts has stated that they would match them too. It is good to have great resellers here and nearby.

post #3251 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 08:03 AM

Hello

I recently bought an 82" Mitsubishi DLP tv and I have it hooked up to ATT U-Verse. When I turned everything on at first, the ATT U-verse remote would control the volume but not turn the tv on and off. I tried programming the remote with the Mitsubishi codes by pressing tv and ok for 3 seconds, it blinks twice, enter the codes, then the tv mode button should blink 3 times for a correct entry but I went through all the codes and none of them worked. I only got 1 solid blink instead of 3.
Now the volume doesn't work between the ATT U-verse remote and the tv. Then I tried using the 955 code to program the volume to work on the tv and it does the same thing.
I don't have a receiver or surround sound yet. The TV's remote volume works and is maxed out all the way and the tv is barely at a sound level to be able to watch tv and hear whats going on.
I reset the Att Uverse box and it didn't help either.

Can anybody help me out with this.

Thanks
Jason
post #3252 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 08:18 AM
g4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by diernosaj View Post

Hello
I recently bought an 82" Mitsubishi DLP tv and I have it hooked up to ATT U-Verse. When I turned everything on at first, the ATT U-verse remote would control the volume but not turn the tv on and off. I tried programming the remote with the Mitsubishi codes by pressing tv and ok for 3 seconds, it blinks twice, enter the codes, then the tv mode button should blink 3 times for a correct entry but I went through all the codes and none of them worked. I only got 1 solid blink instead of 3.
Now the volume doesn't work between the ATT U-verse remote and the tv. Then I tried using the 955 code to program the volume to work on the tv and it does the same thing.
I don't have a receiver or surround sound yet. The TV's remote volume works and is maxed out all the way and the tv is barely at a sound level to be able to watch tv and hear whats going on.
I reset the Att Uverse box and it didn't help either.
Can anybody help me out with this.
Thanks
Jason
Not sure about the remote codes, but I think the ATT box has a volume control of its own. It must be set very low. Try using the ATT box remote to raise it's volume.
post #3253 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 11:26 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I got my replacement 73742 today and they took the one that I got with 493 hours on it already away at the same time. Amazon was very easy to deal with, as usual, and the new TV has 0 hours on it. I started to do some setup and Disney WOW calibration at lunch an noticed that the edge geometry on this unit is a little more "skewed" or curved than the old set. I got into the service menu using "Menu-2-4-5-7" and got into the manual geometry setting, but I can't figure out how to "move" the lines. I will do a search here in a little bit and see if I can't come up with some instructions. Is the geometry being curved at the edges a function of the screen not being "flat" all the way accross? It seems like the screen is sitting back from the edge of the front about 1/8" or so on the corners, but is flush with the front in the middles. Is there a way to make the screen flush with the front all the way around?
post #3254 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 11:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

I got my replacement 73742 today and they took the one that I got with 493 hours on it already away at the same time. Amazon was very easy to deal with, as usual, and the new TV has 0 hours on it. I started to do some setup and Disney WOW calibration at lunch an noticed that the edge geometry on this unit is a little more "skewed" or curved than the old set. I got into the service menu using "Menu-2-4-5-7" and got into the manual geometry setting, but I can't figure out how to "move" the lines. I will do a search here in a little bit and see if I can't come up with some instructions. Is the geometry being curved at the edges a function of the screen not being "flat" all the way accross? It seems like the screen is sitting back from the edge of the front about 1/8" or so on the corners, but is flush with the front in the middles. Is there a way to make the screen flush with the front all the way around?

Can't find the post to give credit, but I saved these instructions.
Quote:
If you need to work on your geometry settings, go Menu 2457 then 0. Scroll down to Manual Geometry, Enter. You'll see that overscan rectangle. Use your left/right up/down keys to adjust the cursor. Then hit Fast Forward to advance to the next point. Adjust as many as you need to, then hit enter. One thing to know is if you go in to change one point or another, you must advance to the next point then hit enter for it to take effect. Hope I didn't make it to confusing.

To adjust other lines in the middle of the screen (4:3 bars etc.) Menu 2457 then 0 Select Manual Geometry. When you see that overscan rectangle push Video. This will show you the 4:3 bars. Push the Fast Forward button to cycle through 11 presets. When you find the best one, push Video to move on to 2.35 bars and other areas to adjust. Same procedure for the other bars. Video button to select other bars. Fast Forward to cycle through the presets. Then exit out. You're done.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3255 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 01:04 PM
g4s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Hi Augerhandle. It was me. It's a coincidence you guys brought up this subject. As much tweaking as can be done, there isn't any vertical bars in the field to adjust besides the 4:3 bars. Any time any other vertical lines show up in program material on mine I can see some pretty annoying pin cushion distortion. On the service grid the worst lines are off about 3/8" from top to the middle of the screen. I pulled a straight edge across the screen, it's bowed in about 3/4". Pretty tough to correct for. There's still some distortion in the corners too. Almost looks like the screen a little too big for the frame or to tight. Anyway just got off the phone with a service guy. They're gonna check it out. Thought I'd better call. Screen warranty is only 30 days. I guess I'm probably just too picky, but all my other Mits sets were better. (geometry wise)
post #3256 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Quote:

Thanks, I did find the posted service manual (of an older model) and found some good instructions.

Is the cause of the curved geometry the "warping" of the screen in the corners? Like I said the screen touches the bezel in the horizontal middle at the top and bottom, but it is about 1/8" back from the bezel in the corners. If there was a way to pull the screen up against the bezel in the corners would this fix the curvature of the picture? Would small suction cups work, or maybe use the car mount for my phone that creates suction when you put it against the window and then apply the lever?
post #3257 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 02:05 PM

I was at a local place called open box tvs they were selling a 73" 640 series for $500 and while I came in to the store pumped up I left feeling sort of disappointed.

The 82" and 72" models both looked not very good compared to every TV in there.

The picture was really faded in the light to the point where the Panasonic GT30 next to it completely embarrassed it.

Is this a common problem?

Do they really only look good in the dark?

And in the dark do they even compare to something like a ST30 or ST50?

Thanks.
post #3258 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerTech0903 View Post

I was at a local place called open box tvs they were selling a 73" 640 series for $500 and while I came in to the store pumped up I left feeling sort of disappointed.

The 82" and 72" models both looked not very good compared to every TV in there.

The picture was really faded in the light to the point where the Panasonic GT30 next to it completely embarrassed it.

Is this a common problem?

Do they really only look good in the dark?

And in the dark do they even compare to something like a ST30 or ST50?

Thanks.

The other TVs are usually set to "torch" mode to get you to pick them out of the crowd. They will need to be turned down in a home environment. Once home and set up correctly, the pictures are comparable. It is also possible that the DLPs have been on display a long time (explains the pricing) and the lamp is due for changing. I've calibrated five DLPs, and brightness was never a problem.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3259 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 04:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentBridge View Post

Thanks, I did find the posted service manual (of an older model) and found some good instructions.
Is the cause of the curved geometry the "warping" of the screen in the corners? Like I said the screen touches the bezel in the horizontal middle at the top and bottom, but it is about 1/8" back from the bezel in the corners. If there was a way to pull the screen up against the bezel in the corners would this fix the curvature of the picture? Would small suction cups work, or maybe use the car mount for my phone that creates suction when you put it against the window and then apply the lever?

OK, I went through the 16 point geometry correction in the service menu, and I got those looking pretty good. And I got the 16:9 looking pretty good. However, I could NOT get the 4:3 vertical lines straight. They both warp "out" at the bottom, and I went through all the choices multiple times with only minimal improvement. So, where can go from here???
post #3260 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 04:34 PM

Is there much of a difference between the 640 and 740 like picture settings or anything I can get a 73 640 for 500
post #3261 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 04:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Is there much of a difference between the 640 and 740 like picture settings or anything I can get a 73 640 for 500

The 740 series adds
Quote:
StreamTV™ Internet Media (VUDU Apps)
Wireless Internet Ready (Optional Adapter)
Internal 3D Glasses IR Emitter
iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch Remote Control App
Remote Control with Internet Controls
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/file/spec_sheet/specsheet-740.pdf

post #3262 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The 740 series adds
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/file/spec_sheet/specsheet-740.pdf

In other words, if you have a Roku or Apple TV 2 or 3, there's no difference besides the internal 3D emitter.
post #3263 of 3969 Old 08-10-2012, 09:04 PM

Can someone please confirm this:

The incredibly washed out 73" 640 picture in the well lit store was abnormal, right?

This TV does look good in some light?

I'm just scared to make the purchase and I could really use some reassuring because I'm telling you this TV looked bad.

Just to make sure, if I bought the 640 it should be fine right?

Also, is $500 a good price for a 640 with limited like 3 month warranty?

Could it be that the bulb is bad?

I saw this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251112859254?hlp=false#ht_2039wt_1163

is that good?
post #3264 of 3969 Old 08-11-2012, 02:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

Can someone please confirm this:
The incredibly washed out 73" 640 picture in the well lit store was abnormal, right?
This TV does look good in some light?
I'm just scared to make the purchase and I could really use some reassuring because I'm telling you this TV looked bad.
Just to make sure, if I bought the 640 it should be fine right?
Also, is $500 a good price for a 640 with limited like 3 month warranty?
Could it be that the bulb is bad?
I saw this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/251112859254?hlp=false#ht_2039wt_1163
is that good?

Get the remote and press MENU, 2, 4, 7, 0. If the total hours of use is high, it can indicate a failing lamp. However, a failing lamp tends to die like an alkaline battery. They hold and hold. Then right before they're done they fade really fast.

I'd put more faith in the picture being washed out by bright store lighting. I personally would never buy a floor model DLP.
post #3265 of 3969 Old 08-11-2012, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post

Be careful of the shipping there have been several horror stories on here about that.

Today I had to go to my local Haynes/Paul's TV to check on some furniture and ask about the 92840/92842. Well the Paul's TV manager offered to have a brand new 92840 delivered from their local warehouse to my home via a Paul's TV truck and employees to avoid any issues and they would setup and test my TV all for free matching any authorized online deal. He also stated that there will be a sale on the 92842 by next week and would offer me a deal on it too. I'm glad I stopped by. I also got a lot taken off my furniture order too...power reclining leather furniture. I can't wait for it all to come together!

post #3266 of 3969 Old 08-11-2012, 07:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post

Today I had to go to my local Haynes/Paul's TV to check on some furniture and ask about the 92840/92842. Well the Paul's TV manager offered to have a brand new 92840 delivered from their local warehouse to my home via a Paul's TV truck and employees to avoid any issues and they would setup and test my TV all for free matching any authorized online deal. He also stated that there will be a sale on the 92842 by next week and would offer me a deal on it too. I'm glad I stopped by. I also got a lot taken off my furniture order too...power reclining leather furniture. I can't wait for it all to come together!
The shipping issues were caused by a third party shipping company that Paul's had used when shipping out of their area.

post #3267 of 3969 Old 08-11-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:

The shipping issues were caused by a third party shipping company that Paul's had used when shipping out of their area.

Correct. He was aware of some of those stories. That is why he was going to ensure I had local Paul's TV people doing my delivery and not the contractors.

post #3268 of 3969 Old 08-11-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Son View Post

Get the remote and press MENU, 2, 4, 7, 0. If the total hours of use is high, it can indicate a failing lamp. However, a failing lamp tends to die like an alkaline battery. They hold and hold. Then right before they're done they fade really fast.
I'd put more faith in the picture being washed out by bright store lighting. I personally would never buy a floor model DLP.

Really? Why not?

I can't find a WD-73640 for less than $1,200 online there is a used one for $900 at Pawnmart.com but that's it.

I can get a used WD-73640 for $500 + tax and then buy a new bulb on eBay for $67.50 with total taxes it comes to $600.

$600 for a floor model WD-73640 with a new bulb is pretty dang good. I don't see what the problem is?

Also.

can someone point me to the direction of 640/740 calibrated settings I can used?
post #3269 of 3969 Old 08-11-2012, 08:13 PM
g4s

Quote:

Really? Why not?
I can't find a WD-73640 for less than $1,200 online there is a used one for $900 at Pawnmart.com but that's it.
I can get a used WD-73640 for $500 + tax and then buy a new bulb on eBay for $67.50 with total taxes it comes to $600.
$600 for a floor model WD-73640 with a new bulb is pretty dang good. I don't see what the problem is?
Also.
can someone point me to the direction of 640/740 calibrated settings I can used?
Don't floor models still come with a factory warranty?
post #3270 of 3969 Old 08-11-2012, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g4s View Post

Don't floor models still come with a factory warranty?

This store is a local reseller called Open Box TVs they have floor models and consumer returns from bix box stores and sell them cheap I get a limited warranty but I'm going to buy an extra like 1-2 year warranty I assume it'll cost $100 or so so $650 including tax then maybe a $65 bulb if it's needed I mean that's still a wicked good price for a 2011 DarkChip 4 1080P 3D 73" TV and considering the bulbs are so cheap it's going to be low upkeep.

I can't believe somone is buying my 46" G15 for $375 ridiculous lol I mean if you can get a 50" UT50 with warranty for $850 I wouldn't pay any more than like $300.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page