Oh!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3602 of 3969 Old 10-12-2012, 07:35 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Shame it did not work out for you. SSE was the first thing that came to mind regarding your "shimmering". Wobulation also is a possibility, and really, that is a perk in a way as the absolute black of the set is once that shimmering goes away... Easy to set brightness in that regard. Lastly, I wonder if you experienced the bug described in this and other threads ruining picture quality.

But DLPs I guess are not for everyone. I have a Samsung A750 which has been working out well for me, but I'd like to hit Walt's just to see what is new in DLP RPTV since 2008.

Go big or go home, unless you're already at home. Then you have to go big.
My near 7' tall 18" Xcon Sonotube Subwoofer.
post #3603 of 3969 Old 10-14-2012, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by z_zk_z View Post

Need web link for WD-82740 service manual

thanks...

I've seen several people ask for it before, but does anyone have a copy of the WD-92840 Service Manual? (in PDF format) I can't seem to find the WD-92840 Service Manual, or a web link anywhere.

I have the WD-92842 service manual (v47), but I'm specifically looking for the WD-82740 (v45) Service Manual.

Thank-you...
post #3604 of 3969 Old 10-14-2012, 07:42 AM

I noticed that the WD-92842 supports bluetooth 3D glasses. The WD-92840 does not support bluetooth 3D glasses (as of yet). I am trying to figure out how difficult it would be to upgrade/add bluetooth support to the WD-92840, so that WD-92840 owners could use bluetooth 3D glasses (Full HD 3D bluetooth glasses) like the Samsung SSG-3300GR, or SSG-3100GB, or SSG-4100GB.

The WD-92842 seems to have a USB "bluetooth module", but I'm wondering if it would be possible to install this module in a WD-92840 television, or possibly just use a bluetooth 4.0 usb adapter plugged into the usb port on the WD-92840 television.

I need a Bluetooth Wireless Upgrade Kit with USB Bluetooth adapter dongle for using RF bluetooth "FullHD 3D Glasses" on Mitsubishi WD92840.

It would be nice if Mitsubishi offered a "Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter" (for the WD-92840), and released a firmware update that supports the Bluetooth 4.0 usb adapter on the 740/840 series.

It would seem to be fairly easy to add linux drivers/support for a few Bluetooth 4.0 wireless adapters and release an updated firmware on the Mitsubishi WD-92840 television (and 740/840 series) to support bluetooth 4.0?

It would nice if Mitsubishi added linux drivers/support for the following wireless adapters to the firmware on the Mitsubishi WD-92840 television, so that users could purchase an inexpensive Bluetooth 4.0 adapter and begin using bluetooth 3D glasses with their Mitsubishi WD-92840 television.

IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU-521)
Here: http://*******.com/iogear-gbu521-amazon

Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter (BTD-400)
Here: http://*******.com/kinivo-btd400-amazon

Medialink Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter (MUA-BA3) by Media Bridge
Here: http://*******.com/medialink-mua-ba3-amazon

It would be nice to be able to add drivers to the WD-92840 firmware for an inexpensive USB Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter to the Mitsubishi WD-92840 Television firmware, so that the Mitsubishi WD-92840 Television can support bluetooth hardware (keyboards, mice, 3D glasses, etc.) and bluetooth 3D glasses (by using any of the three Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters above).

This would also make it much easier for firmware updates, since the WD-92840 and WD-92842 would/could use identical firmware versions (both supporting bluetooth).
post #3605 of 3969 Old 10-14-2012, 02:51 PM

Dont mean to change the subject but Im on the fence with regards to buying the 82842 or the 82742 series. can somebody sum up what the differences are beside the speaker bar?
post #3606 of 3969 Old 10-14-2012, 10:16 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVbrokr View Post

Dont mean to change the subject but Im on the fence with regards to buying the 82842 or the 82742 series. can somebody sum up what the differences are beside the speaker bar?

I think this should be posted in the 2012 thread, since the TVs you're on the fence about are 2012 models and this is the 2011 thread.

Anyway, the differences are pretty clear if you go to the website: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/tv/WD-82842/specifications Just look for the green diamonds to see what the 842 brings to the table.

Later, gator.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #3607 of 3969 Old 10-16-2012, 09:08 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD Trader View Post

I noticed that the WD-92842 supports bluetooth 3D glasses. The WD-92840 does not support bluetooth 3D glasses (as of yet). I am trying to figure out how difficult it would be to upgrade/add bluetooth support to the WD-92840, so that WD-92840 owners could use bluetooth 3D glasses (Full HD 3D bluetooth glasses) like the Samsung SSG-3300GR, or SSG-3100GB, or SSG-4100GB.
The WD-92842 seems to have a USB "bluetooth module", but I'm wondering if it would be possible to install this module in a WD-92840 television, or possibly just use a bluetooth 4.0 usb adapter plugged into the usb port on the WD-92840 television.
I need a Bluetooth Wireless Upgrade Kit with USB Bluetooth adapter dongle for using RF bluetooth "FullHD 3D Glasses" on Mitsubishi WD92840.
It would be nice if Mitsubishi offered a "Wireless Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter" (for the WD-92840), and released a firmware update that supports the Bluetooth 4.0 usb adapter on the 740/840 series.
It would seem to be fairly easy to add linux drivers/support for a few Bluetooth 4.0 wireless adapters and release an updated firmware on the Mitsubishi WD-92840 television (and 740/840 series) to support bluetooth 4.0?
It would nice if Mitsubishi added linux drivers/support for the following wireless adapters to the firmware on the Mitsubishi WD-92840 television, so that users could purchase an inexpensive Bluetooth 4.0 adapter and begin using bluetooth 3D glasses with their Mitsubishi WD-92840 television.
IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU-521)
Here: http://*******.com/iogear-gbu521-amazon
Kinivo BTD-400 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter (BTD-400)
Here: http://*******.com/kinivo-btd400-amazon
Medialink Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter (MUA-BA3) by Media Bridge
Here: http://*******.com/medialink-mua-ba3-amazon
It would be nice to be able to add drivers to the WD-92840 firmware for an inexpensive USB Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter to the Mitsubishi WD-92840 Television firmware, so that the Mitsubishi WD-92840 Television can support bluetooth hardware (keyboards, mice, 3D glasses, etc.) and bluetooth 3D glasses (by using any of the three Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters above).
This would also make it much easier for firmware updates, since the WD-92840 and WD-92842 would/could use identical firmware versions (both supporting bluetooth).

1. Just because there are Bluetooth adapters for USB does not mean that these adatpers will work with Bluetooth glasses, these adatpers may only work for PCs that have easily updateable driver systems. To save money and keep prices low, TVs are not designed to have a lot ablity to change or update drivers.

A. You need to first create software for the TV to recoginize anything other than it's own software or the wireless adatper for WiFi via the USB. The TV does not use the USB ports for other products.
B. Then you need to write drivers for the Bluetooth adapter.
C. IF THE ADATPER SUPPORTS the Full 3D Glasses profile for Bluetooth, then you need to create a method for the TV to translate the sync signals it sends to the IR emitter and the VESA 3D Emitter jack into a Bluetooth control signal for the Full 3D Glasses profile.

2. It most likely would be easier to create a Bluetooth transmitter that would plub into the TVs VESA port for 3D Glasses emitter whic the TV already has. This is how the Zigbee based Monster RF glasses work with the Mitsubishi TVs
post #3608 of 3969 Old 10-16-2012, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

1. Just because there are Bluetooth adapters for USB does not mean that these adatpers will work with Bluetooth glasses, these adatpers may only work for PCs that have easily updateable driver systems. To save money and keep prices low, TVs are not designed to have a lot ablity to change or update drivers.

A. You need to first create software for the TV to recoginize anything other than it's own software or the wireless adatper for WiFi via the USB. The TV does not use the USB ports for other products.
B. Then you need to write drivers for the Bluetooth adapter.
C. IF THE ADATPER SUPPORTS the Full 3D Glasses profile for Bluetooth, then you need to create a method for the TV to translate the sync signals it sends to the IR emitter and the VESA 3D Emitter jack into a Bluetooth control signal for the Full 3D Glasses profile.
2. It most likely would be easier to create a Bluetooth transmitter that would plub into the TVs VESA port for 3D Glasses emitter whic the TV already has. This is how the Zigbee based Monster RF glasses work with the Mitsubishi TVs

> these adatpers may only work for PCs that have easily updateable driver systems.

Televisions run linux, and that is all the Mitsubishi firmware is. All of the Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapters that I have posted are well supported in Linux (and the drivers are readily available). It would be as simple as just added the drivers to the /bin/ and recompiling the kernal. It's not complicated, and it's not hard.

As far as adding support for bluetooth devices to the 92840, it would be just a matter of taking the source code for the 92842 (which is a similar/identical television) and then simply just adding additional bluetooth drivers and also add the IR drivers, and then recompile the kernal (make kernal) and then compress it into an image, and then release it as a firmware update. It's not rocket science.

Yes, additional protocols would need to be added to support "Full HD 3D Glasses" but this work has already been done (on the 92842) so it wouldn't be hard (nor would it be complicated) to simply just re-use that same source code, and drivers and create a firmware release for the 92840 (and also add driver support for the IR, and also add driver support for four different Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters) so that users could simply purchase any one of the four USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapters that I mentioned above (for about $11 on Amazon) and plug it into the back of their 92840 Television, and begin using bluetooth glasses (like the Samsung SSG-3300GR, SSG-3100GB, or SSG-4100GB, etc.)

I'm sure the code has already been written for the protocol stack, since Mitsubishi has managed to get the firmware for the 92842 written, so it would just be a matter of modifying that 92842 firmware and re-releasing a new firmware version for the 92840 television to support a Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter. That is all the 92842 is using is just a USB bluetooth adapter/module. There is absolutely no reason why using a simple Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter (plugged into the USB port) would not work, just as long as the firmware was updated with linux drivers to support the USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter, and updated to support Bluetooth (which would be as simple as taking the 92842 firmware and just updating it with additional drivers for an external USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapter) and adding support for the 92840 IR hardware, and simply releasing it as a "14.04 Software Update" for the 92840 Television.

Mitsubishi could then continue to release updates for both the 92840 and 92842 television concurrently, since both televisions would be nearly identical, and the firmware would be nearly identical for both television sets (especially if you just include all the hardware drivers for all the hardware in BOTH the 92840 and 92842 in the same firmware release).

This way the firmware releases for the 92840 and 92842 would be identical (and could be used on either television). With the only real difference being that the 92840 would also have IR support, whereas with the 92842 it would not have IR support (built-in) but would still have IR support via the use of an external adapter.

There's no reason not to just combine the two firmwares into one firmware, and just support both sets of hardware drivers, and create one firmware for both sets, and add driver support for several inexpensive Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters. The drivers and protocol stacks for using bluetooth Full HD 3D glasses have already been written for the 92842, there would be absolutely no reason not to release a firmware update to support Full HD 3D glasses (and an external Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter) for the 92840 Television.

> B. Then you need to write drivers for the Bluetooth adapter.

Nope, linux drivers are already written for every single Bluetooth 4.0 adapter that I listed/posted. No linux drivers ned to be written for the Bluetooth adapters. Also the "Full HD 3D" protocol stack could simply be "re-used" from the 92842 firmware (since the drivers were already written for the 92842, it would be extremely easy to just re-use that same protocol stack, and simply just update the linux kernel (to the same version as the 92842) or simply update the linux kernel to the latest 3.6 release, with the drivers for the four Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters.

I'm quite sure that the 92840 and 92842 are using GPL software (Linux kernel) and Mitsubishi should give up the source code for any firmware that is based on a linux kernel or linux distribution. It would only be a matter of adding support and taking the drivers from the 92840 firmware, and adding them to the 92842 firmware, and then adding in additional drivers for the four Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters, and recompiling the kernel, and then compressing the image, and then releasing it as a firmware update. (that could easily be installed on the television via a USB stick).

It's not hard to do, it's just very sad that Mitsubishi refuses to update/support their television products and add bluetooth 4.0 support to their 92840 televisions.

> C. IF THE ADATPER SUPPORTS the Full 3D Glasses profile for Bluetooth,
> then you need to create a method for the TV to translate the sync signals it sends
> to the IR emitter and the VESA 3D Emitter jack into a Bluetooth control signal for
> the Full 3D Glasses profile.

Why on earth would you go that route? Why "reinvent" the wheel? The 92842 is simply using a USB Bluetooth 4.0 module. That's it. So why on earth would you not just use a USB Bluetooth 4.0 Adapter? Why would you even mess around with trying to translate sync signals to the IR emitter or VESA 3D emitter? There's absolutely no need. Those are fine for IR, but if you already have a USB port on the back of the television and you want to go Bluetooth, you don't need to mess around with an analog IR sync, it's just a matter of using bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter. It's no different then using a USB Wi-Fi adapter (like the Azurewave).

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-AWNU231-802-11n-Wi-Fi-Adapter/dp/B003VU2JQO

or

Here: http://www.abt.com/product/61456/Samsung-WIS12ABGNX.html?utm_source=scfroogle&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=WIS12ABGNX&adtype=pla

The linux drivers are already written for all four Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters that I listed, and all of the adapters are under $20 (with the IOGEAR Bluetooth 4.0 USB Micro Adapter (GBU521) being among the least expensive (at under $11 on Amazon).

Here: http://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-Bluetooth-Micro-Adapter-GBU521/dp/B007GFX0PY/ref=pd_rhf_dp_p_t_4

Add the linux driver support for the GBU-521 Bluetooth 4.0 USB Adapter to the 92842 firmware, and then add the hardware drivers for the 92840 hardware (to the 92842 firmware) and compile the kernel, and release it as a "14.04 Software Update" for the 92840 Television.

From that point forward, it would be quite simple to update the firmware (in the future) for BOTH the 92840 and 92842 television, since the firmware would be nearly identical (and could be used on either television).

> then you need to create a method for the TV to translate the sync signals it sends
> to the IR emitter and the VESA 3D Emitter jack into a Bluetooth control signal for
> the Full 3D Glasses profile.

Nope, you sure wouldn't. You would only need to do that if you intend to add "Full HD 3D Glasses" support for IR glasses, but at this point I'm just talking about adding "Full HD 3D Glasses" support for Bluetooth only. (Especially since that software stack is already written for the 92842 television). Also why would anyone even want to use IR glasses when you could use bluetooth glasses? It makes absolutely no sense to try and create an IR stack, if someone wanted to use IR they could simply continue to use their existing IR glasses.

My point was to be able to add Bluetooth 4.0 support, so that you could use Bluetooth keyboards, bluetooth mice, and bluetooth 3D glasses (SSG-3300GR, SSG-3100GB, SSG-4100GB, etc.) with the 92840 television. Re-using the 92842 firmware (and releasing a "14.04 software update" for the 92840 television with linux drivers for an external Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapter) would be by far the easiest way to add bluetooth support to the 92840.
post #3609 of 3969 Old 10-16-2012, 05:16 PM

Quote:

Nope. You'd be trying to create a monster by going that route. It would be far more difficult trying to create a custom-made piece of hardware that had to try and use a VESA port for Bluetooth. USB Bluetooth 4.0 adapters are readily available (and are inexpensive).

No reason to "re-invent" the wheel. The hardest part would be creating the "Full HD 3D Glasses" software stack, but that has already been written for the 92842, so it wouldn't be difficult at all to simply re-use the "14.04" software/firmware from the 92842, and just add the hardware drivers (for the 92840 chipsets/hardware, and also add the drivers for four Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters that are readily available and can be purchased fairly cheap on Amazon for under $10-$18).

The software is already written, it's just a matter of adding the linux drivers for the Bluetooth 4.0 USB adapters, and adding the linux drivers (from the 92840 firmware) to the 92842 firmware (so that both televisions are supported and can use the same firmware).

You could release the firmware as a 14.05 firmware update, and both the 92840 and 92842 could both use/run the same firmware (from that point forward). It would make it extremely easy to do firmware updates (in the future) since the firmware would work on both televisions (the 92840 and 92842).

The only real difference would be that the 92840 would actually support a built-in IR emitter, whereas the 92842 would not (since it doesn't have the IR emitter built-in). But an external one could still be added (not sure why anyone would even want an IR emitter, if they began to use bluetooth "Full HD 3D Glasses" though...)

Plus bluetooth SSG-4100GB glasses are fairly inexpensive and can be purchased for under $20.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-4100GB-Active-Glasses-Models/dp/B007K9P7H0

At that point you could use ANY Bluetooth compatible glasses with the Mitsubishi Television (bluetooth Universal Compatibility / bluetooth Full HD 3D Glasses).

I'm not sure if Mitsubishi included/wrote an IR stack for "Full HD 3D IR" Glasses compatibility, but if they did (and it's already included in the 92842 firmware) then that stack could easily be used/re-used in the 92840 firmware, so the 92840 would actually do both "Full HD 3D" RF (bluetooth) Glasses, and also "Full HD 3D IR" Glasses, but my main concern is not really with the IR support, but instead primarily focused on adding the Bluetooth support to the 92840. (The 92840 already has IR support, and I really don't care all that much if the IR support is or is not "Full HD 3D IR" compatible). My main concern is simply adding "Full HD 3D" bluetooth support to the 92840 Television.
Quote:

a Bluetooth transmitter that would plub into the TVs VESA port for 3D Glasses emitter whic the TV already has. This is how the Zigbee based Monster RF glasses work with the Mitsubishi TVs

Monster went about things a very different (and much much much harder) way. Simply because they wanted to create a "universal" solution, that could be used on any television that had a VESA port. (without having to do a software/firmware update/upgrade).

It was one solution, but it was a far more difficult solution than the one that I am proposing.

A firmware update (especially using a firmware that is already written/updated) would be far easier than trying to create a new custom-made hardware solution. Using cheap/inexpensive COTS (Commercial Off The Shelf) hardware that is readily available and extremely inexpensive, would be the easiest/fastest and most inexpensive solution (in my opinion).

Plus the solution that Mitsubishi is using (in the 92842) is simply a USB Bluetooth module, so it would only make sense to just use a USB Bluetooth module (external) and just plug it into the rear USB port on the Mitsubish 92842 television.

For those that are using a Wi-Fi module, they could simply plug in a small USB hub, and then plug the Bluetooth 4.0 adapter and the Wi-Fi adapter into the USB hub, but either way it would still work.
post #3610 of 3969 Old 10-21-2012, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 33
My beloved 65" Mitsubishi Diamond just developed white and black specks all over the screen... Went and looked at he Sharp 70" 240hz set but decided to leave the store without it. Glad I did, just ordered a WD-82740 for half the price of the sharp. I am a big DLP supporter and the price with a 5 year in house warranty on Amazon was just too good to pass up. I will post up a picture when it arives here this week.
I also ordered Dave Matthews and Tim Renolds Live At Radio City, Prometheus and the Advengers.. Sorry had to tell someone, I am excited!

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #3611 of 3969 Old 10-21-2012, 02:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

My beloved 65" Mitsubishi Diamond just developed white and black specks all over the screen... Went and looked at he Sharp 70" 240hz set but decided to leave the store without it. Glad I did, just ordered a WD-82740 for half the price of the sharp. I am a big DLP supporter and the price with a 5 year in house warranty on Amazon was just too good to pass up. I will post up a picture when it arives here this week.
I also ordered Dave Matthews and Tim Renolds Live At Radio City, Prometheus and the Advengers.. Sorry had to tell someone, I am excited!

What model is your 65"?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #3612 of 3969 Old 10-21-2012, 02:24 PM

It is a WD-65833. Lasted me a long time and I only had to change the bulb once.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #3613 of 3969 Old 10-21-2012, 03:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have decided to go all DLP link glasses for simplicity reasons. Anyone interested in my Mitsubishi IR glasses or X104 universals?
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1435017/mitsubishi-xpand-3d-glasses-3dg-x103
post #3614 of 3969 Old 10-21-2012, 03:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

I loved both Prometheus and The Avengers. Did you order them in 3D? Prometheus is getting a bad rap as far as the critics but I loved it a lot and bought it in 3D. BTW, I also have the 82740.

lujan
657 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
post #3615 of 3969 Old 10-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I loved both Prometheus and The Avengers. Did you order them in 3D? Prometheus is getting a bad rap as far as the critics but I loved it a lot and bought it in 3D. BTW, I also have the 82740.

I loved Prometheus 3D and Avengers 3D. I had them both preordered. I'm viewing on a 92842 however.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #3616 of 3969 Old 10-21-2012, 07:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Prometheus didnt need to be in 3D. it was great in 2D.

Was abraham lincoln vampire hunter filmed in 3D. watched it this weekend. great movie too. Seems like a lot of the shots were set up for 3D>

post #3617 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 06:11 AM

Enthuzist:

How is the 3D on your 92"?

How far away do you sit?
post #3618 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackVette View Post

Enthuzist:
How is the 3D on your 92"?
How far away do you sit?

3D is the best that I have seen...even on my plasma (master bdrm). I sit a little over 10' from the screen as per the THX specs.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #3619 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 09:54 PM

All this talk about 3-D
I've tried it on 3 different TV's ---- Wasn't Impressed !!
I do however appreciate the Nice Clear picture that our DLP's deliver....
Best decision that i've ever made was to bypass the Sharp 80" & get the 92" plus Saved a bunch of money!

With those things said:
Has anyone been told that Techs don't want/like to Calibrate Mits DLP TV's ???

enhtuz likes the Bold print !!
post #3620 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 10:10 PM

I hope they don't have a problem with it. My first call once the new TV hits the stand is to a calibration expert.... Speaking of that, anybody know of a good tech in the Seattle area ( next step is a little research:)?

post #3621 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 56
Quote:

I hope they don't have a problem with it. My first call once the new TV hits the stand is to a calibration expert.... Speaking of that, anybody know of a good tech in the Seattle area ( next step is a little research:)?

Mine was done by Definitive Audio, Bellevue - 425) 746-3188. The guy did an excellent job of calibrating my 82" Mitsu.
post #3622 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 10:43 PM

Thanks for the quick respone! They are about two miles from my front door. I will give them a call tomorrow.

post #3623 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex F. View Post

Squeaky:
When I evaluate video (and audio) components I always use the same reference discs. In the case of the WD-82742 (vs. the Hitachi) I used Blu-ray discs with the best transfer prints, comparing the same scenes within a given movie. If compression was the culprit it would have been obvious, too, on the 65" screen when viewed at a distance that yields the same magnification of the image as seen on the 82" screen (which I calculated in advance). The Hitachi, as I already stated, was still far better when viewed close up vs. the Mitsubishi far away.
The Hitachi, as of now, is simply a superior product. I hope Mitsubishi can improve their video performance to the point that I want to buy another 82" model in the future. If that happens, I'm there.

I question why you didn't make this comparison before purchasing the Mits ????
That's not a cool thing to do ...
I just figured your living in Central florida, you'd be able to @ least see the Mitssubishi 82" before buying 1 ...

As far as comparing your Hitachi 65" to the 82" Mits
You have to compare Apples to Apples & others to others

I'll add that my old Mits 65" RPTV still shoots your Hitachi 65" down
I know i studied & compared the 2 & i still miss the Mits 65" [but my friends still enjoy it daily]

post #3624 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 10:53 PM

Quote:

Thanks for the quick respone! They are about two miles from my front door. I will give them a call tomorrow.

BB wanted @ least 200 hrs' of use on our 65" Sammi before Calibrating.
It was even the 1st thing he checked, to make sure my guess was correct. it was it had over 400 hrs'
He was the 1 who told me that didn't really like/want to calibrate mits as i told him we'd probably get him back to Calibrate the Mits..
BB has started allowing 1 free Geek Squad call for their Silver rewards members, so iwas going to use the free call for the Mits!

Please let us know how you calibration goes & what they charge..
post #3625 of 3969 Old 10-22-2012, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsoko2 View Post

Mine was done by Definitive Audio, Bellevue - 425) 746-3188. The guy did an excellent job of calibrating my 82" Mitsu.

Mind if i ask approx how much they charged ?
BB charged $150

Also did he calibrate the different levels [dynamic, movie, std] of viewing [guessing on what the levels are called]

Would you do it again ??
post #3626 of 3969 Old 10-23-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enthuzist View Post

3D is the best that I have seen...even on my plasma (master bdrm). I sit a little over 10' from the screen as per the THX specs.

Another question.... How is the light in the room? I would be 10 feet away like you.

I just put blackout shades on the skylight to control the light there. There are other windows with blinds, but not blackout.....

I'm deciding between the Mits 92" and a Sharp Aquos that would be brighter....

thank you,

Jack
post #3627 of 3969 Old 10-23-2012, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ram Fan View Post

All this talk about 3-D
I've tried it on 3 different TV's ---- Wasn't Impressed !!
I do however appreciate the Nice Clear picture that our DLP's deliver....
Best decision that i've ever made was to bypass the Sharp 80" & get the 92" plus Saved a bunch of money!
With those things said:
Has anyone been told that Techs don't want/like to Calibrate Mits DLP TV's ???

enhtuz likes the Bold print !!

I'm also struggling with the decision on Mits vs. Sharp.

The value for the Mits 92 makes it VERY tempting.

I mentioned 3D because I saw a good 3D demo for the first time on a TV. It was a Sharp 80" It was the first one I liked.
post #3628 of 3969 Old 10-23-2012, 11:44 AM

Quote:

Another question.... How is the light in the room? I would be 10 feet away like you.
I just put blackout shades on the skylight to control the light there. There are other windows with blinds, but not blackout.....
thank you,
Jack

Quote:

I'm also struggling with the decision on Mits vs. Sharp.
The value for the Mits 92 makes it VERY tempting.
I mentioned 3D because I saw a good 3D demo for the first time on a TV. It was a Sharp 80" It was the first one I liked.

I have a dual windowed wall on the right of the TV, which has blinds on them now (not blackouts). They do a great job of blocking enough light. We turn off the rest of the lights, minus accent lighting, during movies. To each his/her own with 3D, but for me and my family and friends, we love it and always buy the 3D/2D versions of any applicable movie. 2D is for the kids rooms as 3D is only in the den and mbdrm.

post #3629 of 3969 Old 10-23-2012, 02:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Ram Fan View Post

I question why you didn't make this comparison before purchasing the Mits ????
That's not a cool thing to do ...
I can only hope that your local store Black lists you as a poor risk! it happens.
As far as comparing your Hitachi 65" to the 82" Mits
You have to compare Apples to Apples & others to others
I'll add that my old Mits 65" RPTV still shoots your Hitachi 65" down
I know i studied & compared the 2 & i still miss the Mits 65" [but my friends still enjoy it daily]

I didn't compare the two because it just wasn't convenient to purchase an airline ticket, fly out to the nearest dealer that sold them and could demo the unit, and fly back home. It was slightly easier to mailorder the TV. And, no, the dealer did not blacklist me--he was very cordial, knew in advance I had never examined a Mitsubishi DLP, and understood why I was disappointed and decided to return the TV. I received my refund on Friday.

Next time I will try to remember to obtain your approval before I make a purchase.

I am fascinated to learn you think your old Mitsubishi RPTV is better than my Hitachi. Now I won't be able to sleep at night.

Comparing two large-screen televisions, regardless of type, is indeed apples to apples. They are both for viewing Blu-ray, DVD, TV, etc. I wasn't planning to use the Mitsubishi as a dishwasher or surfboard.
post #3630 of 3969 Old 10-23-2012, 03:08 PM

Quote:

thank you,
Jack

Jack my 92" is in a basement Family/Theater/Media set-up...
When i pull the Blinds it is truely a light controlled Theater experience..

Like yourself i was comparing the 82" Mits & 80" Sharp for picture quality & value..
The $1998 82842 Mits beat the Sharp on both points. The best i could find on the Sparp 80" was around the $3500 range & that was the cheaper of the 2 sharps..
If you're wanting to hang your new TV on a wall, then you have to think Sharp ! Dang the money or the PQ
Also bear in mind that almost all new TV's will reflect a light fixture on the screen.
Our new 65" Sammi LED in our Living room & the kitchen light fixtures reflect on screen when turned on.
Having known DLP technoly, made my decision easuier to make..
Then having pointed out to the wife that we could get a new #92840 92" Mits for less than the cheaper Sharp 80"er
It was a No Brainer fo us !! We are truely tickled with our TV viewing experience onthose 2 TV's..

Whichever you select Jack, let us know & really hope you enjoy your new Big Screen.

ps: Enthuzist has a really good 1st page on his AVS , rear projection forum thread, under the 2012 #842 series TV's.

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page