2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 124 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #3691 of 3975 Old 11-27-2012, 09:46 PM
Member
 
Chuck666's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Surprise, AZ
Posts: 173
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matzaklr View Post

You are right, the Turtlebeach headset is an analog connection, but my TV doesn't have an analog out, it only has a digital out. So I have the digital out going to a converter, which then converts it to analog which connects the headset. The optical connection is between my xbox and blueray player only for the purposes of surround sound and it works. I have tried disconnecting the optical from the xbox to see if that fixes the problem and no dice. Also, keep in mind that I still get normal speaker audio from the TV speakers from the xbox with only the HDMI connection. I cannot think of any reason why the headset does not work for the xbox only. I am awaiting a call back from Mitsubishi now to discuss the issue with their customer service department. I will post a solution here if we come up with one.

What kind of converter? Cheap ones don't work. You need a D to A converter with dolby, not just PCM audio. At least that what I had to do to get my analog headphones to work.

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
Yamaha RX-V371 A/V Receiver
HR-34 DirecTv DVR and HD-31 Extender Receiver
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BD Player
Win 8.1 Home Built Computer
Win 8.1 HTPC Gaming Computer
Chuck666 is online now  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #3692 of 3975 Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Member
 
zennn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello,

I tried doing a search here I am trying to find the actual width of the base the 82740 sits on???

Thank You
zennn is offline  
post #3693 of 3975 Old 11-29-2012, 09:40 AM
GEP
Advanced Member
 
GEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 677
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by zennn View Post

Hello,
I tried doing a search here I am trying to find the actual width of the base the 82740 sits on???
Thank You

Its on the Mitsubsihi web site. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/file/dim_sheet/dimsheet-WD-82740.pdf
GEP is offline  
post #3694 of 3975 Old 11-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Member
 
zennn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Chicago
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thank you, I checked there, not sure how I missed those specs... 38"

Thx
zennn is offline  
post #3695 of 3975 Old 12-03-2012, 08:55 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nc88keyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
There are soooo many knock off lamps for the 73740 (915B455011 ) online these days.

Does anyone have any suggestions for ebay vendors?

besides the Original from Mitsuparts.com at 99 USD

Im definately on a budget.

Year 1: WD73740

Purch: Circuit City

12/14/2012

Hrs: 3238

Seems aweful dimed. i had a 833 and 835 prior sets ...never noticed dimming like this a 1 year??

Have always ran on standard "Bright"setting / not eco i suppose

Looking at this one:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mitsubishi-915B455011-NEW-OSRAM-NEOLUX-LAMP-AND-HOUSING-/230769305834?pt=US_Rear_Projection_TV_Lamps&hash=item35baec28ea

Osram -Neolux lamp and housing for 58 shipped?


I tried putting in my
tv and model number on mitsuparts.com and it says not eligible.. hmm

nc88keyz is offline  
post #3696 of 3975 Old 12-03-2012, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
nc88keyz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Posts: 1,065
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Well,

Like many, I noted Mitsubishi's service got really good once they had those dreaded DMD board issues. A complete 360.

I thanked them for DLP technology over the years and the value it presented for our family. 3 since 2007, one warranty swapped, 2 still have.

They have come through once again,

2 day shipping,

no rma required for bulb anymore.

Free replacement with 11 days left in MFG warranty.


Only downside, 47 minute wait.

queued for callback. Very friendly and understanding.

It's just very dull looking lately, no brightness or pop even in "torch" mode aka Brilliant, . I usually use the bright setting though.

nc88keyz is offline  
post #3697 of 3975 Old 12-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Member
 
kostya00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Do the WDXX740 and WDXX840 models support audio in for PC? I want to hook my PC up through HDMI but I'll need the audio to go through a regular analog connection...
kostya00 is offline  
post #3698 of 3975 Old 12-03-2012, 06:01 PM
 
Splicer010's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 7,819
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 32
I would look at the manual as that will be the final say on this. Why won't your PC send the audio via HDMI? That just sounds...wrong.
Splicer010 is offline  
post #3699 of 3975 Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,312
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

.....It's just very dull looking lately, no brightness or pop even in "torch" mode aka Brilliant, . I usually use the bright setting though.

I've been having the same issue, everything looking very dim lately. I got just over 3600 hours on mine (I think, not home right now). I think I'm gonna call up Mitsu and see if I can't get the same deal! wink.gif

I've had my 73740 for about 7 months now, but just recently got some 3D glasses. In my attempts to brighten up the 3D picture, I've got contrast cranked all the way up in "Bright" mode and pic still seems dim. FYI, I've never been one to run my TVs in torch mode at all, but I do have the contrast all the way up in ADV1 & ADV2 modes - musta got there somehow over the months step by step as the lamp dimmed. I know I didn't start out there with my first calibration (after a few hundred hours).

Started poking around in the service menu and ran across the setting called "61.DBK". Default is "0" but when set to "1" contrast seems to be doubled. After Googling, I found this thread:

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1162319/mitsubishi-73737-service-menu-info

Isn't my TV, but mine exhibits the same behaviour - it just will not save the DBK setting when exiting Service Menu. Seems to be the "Dark Detailer" setting from another TV. Anybody figure out a way to save this setting??

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
SUB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
DISP:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alan P is online now  
post #3700 of 3975 Old 12-04-2012, 10:32 AM
Member
 
kostya00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I tried before and unfortunately the HDMI on my PC doesn't output audio... it's just for video. What options would I have for getting the audio to play through the TV?
kostya00 is offline  
post #3701 of 3975 Old 12-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Member
 
kostya00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Ok I checked the manual online and it actually looks like there is an audio 3.5mm input called DVI/PC Audio Input.
kostya00 is offline  
post #3702 of 3975 Old 12-04-2012, 11:18 AM
Member
 
Rustolem's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Pineville, LA
Posts: 182
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya00 View Post

I tried before and unfortunately the HDMI on my PC doesn't output audio... it's just for video. What options would I have for getting the audio to play through the TV?

what type of video card are you using for your pc? if it has a hdmi out it should push video and audio? go into your control panel and sound and see of there is more than one audio controller?
Rustolem is offline  
post #3703 of 3975 Old 12-04-2012, 03:47 PM
Member
 
kostya00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 78
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just wanted to get some feedback about this on this thread - after reading through the 740/840 and 742/842 threads, I'm leaning towards getting a 740 model, as there seem to be some issues with the 742. Is there any reason why I shouldn't? Were there any serious improvements with the 742 model?
kostya00 is offline  
post #3704 of 3975 Old 12-05-2012, 07:36 AM
Member
 
leemathre's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 83
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Mitsubishi has pulled the plug on RPTVs.

http://www.cepro.com/article/mitsubishi_drops_dlp_displays_goodbye_rptvs_forever

Lee Mathre

THX Certified Professional
ISF Certified Calibrator
Las Vegas, NV

leemathre is offline  
post #3705 of 3975 Old 12-05-2012, 08:43 AM
Member
 
ladysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
it's been 10 years since i've bought a TV. I have a mits 65" CRT RPTV that has had the caps replaced by me and still works but i've been eyeing the 92" for a very long time. I finally pulled the trigger and bought the 92840 last night! excited and lucky i have a reat friend who is making me a stand out of oak to support it..lol

happy to join the club!smile.gif
ladysman is offline  
post #3706 of 3975 Old 12-05-2012, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Wesley Hester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Selma, Alabama, USA
Posts: 1,992
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemathre View Post

Mitsubishi has pulled the plug on RPTVs.
http://www.cepro.com/article/mitsubishi_drops_dlp_displays_goodbye_rptvs_forever

Sad news. Do not see any 92" or greater flat panels in the near future at reasonable prices. I will personally be transitioning to front projection thanks to good wireless HDMI, especially for 4K.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wesley Hester is offline  
post #3707 of 3975 Old 12-05-2012, 11:09 AM
Member
 
pkelecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've had a WD-73840 for almost a year now and have really enjoyed it. I'm now planning to take the 3D plunge and am trying to decide what glasses to get. I'm strongly leaning towards the Xpand X103, but have noticed there two versions: the X103 and the 3DG-X103. Although the 3DG-X103 is advertised as being for Mitsubishi TVs, apparently the X103 will work with my set as well (based on reviews I've seen) and are a lot cheaper ($35 vs $110 on Amazon). Does anyone know what the differences are between these? Any reason I should not get the X103 (or conversely, get the 3DG-X103)?

Thanks for any feedback on this. I think the glasses part of going 3D has been the most confusing thing to sort out!
pkelecy is offline  
post #3708 of 3975 Old 12-05-2012, 11:48 AM
Newbie
 
fxxray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahmeal View Post

Has anyone else run into this problem/fixed it? WD-73740 using an HTPC with Geforce GT520 HDMI out (1.4a compliant card and cable) directly to the TV. Audio passed through HDMI and out from the TV via digital coax to my receiver. My problem is, whenever I watch a 3d movie in native 3d mode (1080p 24hz) the TV displays it fine but ends up displaying the "No signal, TV will turn off in one minute" message and unless I press a button on the remote it does in fact turn off. I've tried 23hz & 24hz, passing audio directly to receiver instead of through HDMI, nothing fixes it. It seems to be directly related to the 3d resolution mode as the issue does not occur in regular 1080p. Likewise I have no issues playing back checkerboard/sbs content and manually specifying the 3d mode on the TV. Short of trying another computer with a completely different video card, I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

I just started watching my first 3D blu-ray movie using ArcSoft TotalMedia Theater 5 and got the same problem. 'Called Mitshubishi support and they were clueless and claimed they had never heard of such a problem. It was very easy for them to say to set the TV back to factory defaults ... we both knew that wasn't going to solve the problem but it would get me off the phone and give me something to do for an hour setting the TV back up as it was before. I tried everything I could think of and then just went into the menu > Inputs > Name > and for the HDMI that I was using, called it a PS input rather than PC. I haven't watched a whole movie yet, but it appears to be working. Remember, after you set it to PS (or Blu-ray), go back into the menu > Picture > 3D and put 3D back on Automatic to enable 3D play. Good luck.

If anyone else knows a better work-around, please post it.
fxxray is offline  
post #3709 of 3975 Old 12-05-2012, 04:24 PM
AVS Special Member
 
lujan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 2,604
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by leemathre View Post

Mitsubishi has pulled the plug on RPTVs.
http://www.cepro.com/article/mitsubishi_drops_dlp_displays_goodbye_rptvs_forever

I immediately bought a 92842 when I heard this because I was going to wait a couple of years for the 92" sets to go down in price. That will never happen now if no one is going to make DLPs anymore. I had to buy one now because we will not see this price per inch on any of the other types of TVs.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
lujan is online now  
post #3710 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 07:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,312
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

I've had a WD-73840 for almost a year now and have really enjoyed it. I'm now planning to take the 3D plunge and am trying to decide what glasses to get. I'm strongly leaning towards the Xpand X103, but have noticed there two versions: the X103 and the 3DG-X103. Although the 3DG-X103 is advertised as being for Mitsubishi TVs, apparently the X103 will work with my set as well (based on reviews I've seen) and are a lot cheaper ($35 vs $110 on Amazon). Does anyone know what the differences are between these? Any reason I should not get the X103 (or conversely, get the 3DG-X103)?
Thanks for any feedback on this. I think the glasses part of going 3D has been the most confusing thing to sort out!

I recently compared about 7-8 different pairs of 3D glasses with my 73740.

The X103s were my first pair - didn't like them. They are very uncomfortable for me no matter which nose piece I used. Very heavy and not the best optics I've found.

Out of all the glasses, I've found these to be the best (for me):

Panasonic TY-EW3D3LU 3D Active Shutter Eyewear for Panasonic 3D HDTVs (Large) (2011 Model)
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-EW3D3LU-Active-Shutter-Eyewear/dp/B0058SYDUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354808418&sr=8-1&keywords=Panasonic+TY-EW3D3LU+3D+Active+Shutter+Eyewear+for+Panasonic+3D+HDTVs+%28Large%29+%282011+Model%29

The Panasonics are the most comfortable by far. Very light. Great optics. The lenses are small compared to most, so if that is an issue for you...

I also like these a lot:

True Depth 3D Glasses for 2011 Mitsubishi 3D TVs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V4YWVI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01

Almost as comfortable as the Panasonics. The optics are second best though. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to keep these or order another pair of Panasonics for my wife. She's happy with the True Depths, and they're about $15 less than the Panasonics...

I also tried the Optomas, Ultraclears, X104s, and PS3 glasses. The two above beat all those in terms of comfort and clarity.

I don't know why those 3DG X103s are so expensive. From the Amazon description, it sounds like they come with an external emmitter and some sort of kit...??
Paul.R.S likes this.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
SUB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
DISP:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alan P is online now  
post #3711 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,312
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

Well,
Like many, I noted Mitsubishi's service got really good once they had those dreaded DMD board issues. A complete 360.
I thanked them for DLP technology over the years and the value it presented for our family. 3 since 2007, one warranty swapped, 2 still have.
They have come through once again,
2 day shipping,
no rma required for bulb anymore.
Free replacement with 11 days left in MFG warranty.
Only downside, 47 minute wait.
queued for callback. Very friendly and understanding.
It's just very dull looking lately, no brightness or pop even in "torch" mode aka Brilliant, . I usually use the bright setting though.

I called Mits yesterday and they are sending me a new lamp under warranty with 2 day shipping. biggrin.gif

I went to the website, and it told me that my model was not eligible for warranty lamp replacement...??

I was on hold for 37 mins before I gave up and just put in my phone number for them to call me back. They called back in about 2 minutes. If you do call, have your model and serial numbers handy.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
SUB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
DISP:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alan P is online now  
post #3712 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 08:46 AM
Member
 
ladysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
In buying HDMI cables from Monoprice, i saw they have 3D glasses now. I'm going to hold out at first but was wondering what glasses everyone recommended for the 92840?

Also, if anyone has some stand designs my buddy is making me one as this is his "hobby" (woodworking). Any suggestions appreciated! Pics would be great or links. smile.gif
ladysman is offline  
post #3713 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Member
 
pkelecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I recently compared about 7-8 different pairs of 3D glasses with my 73740.
The X103s were my first pair - didn't like them. They are very uncomfortable for me no matter which nose piece I used. Very heavy and not the best optics I've found.
Out of all the glasses, I've found these to be the best (for me):
Panasonic TY-EW3D3LU 3D Active Shutter Eyewear for Panasonic 3D HDTVs (Large) (2011 Model)
http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TY-EW3D3LU-Active-Shutter-Eyewear/dp/B0058SYDUW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354808418&sr=8-1&keywords=Panasonic+TY-EW3D3LU+3D+Active+Shutter+Eyewear+for+Panasonic+3D+HDTVs+%28Large%29+%282011+Model%29
The Panasonics are the most comfortable by far. Very light. Great optics. The lenses are small compared to most, so if that is an issue for you...
I also like these a lot:
True Depth 3D Glasses for 2011 Mitsubishi 3D TVs
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005V4YWVI/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i01
Almost as comfortable as the Panasonics. The optics are second best though. I'm still trying to decide whether or not to keep these or order another pair of Panasonics for my wife. She's happy with the True Depths, and they're about $15 less than the Panasonics...
I also tried the Optomas, Ultraclears, X104s, and PS3 glasses. The two above beat all those in terms of comfort and clarity.
I don't know why those 3DG X103s are so expensive. From the Amazon description, it sounds like they come with an external emmitter and some sort of kit...??


Alan, thanks for sharing you experience. It was very helpful. All the ones you tried, with the exception of the Panasonic, were on my "short list" as well. I'm surprised the X104s didn't do better for you, as they're rated quite high on Amazon.

As I mentioned, I hadn't considered the Panasonic glasses, but will definitely give them serious consideration. I don't think the small lenses would bother me as long as they were comfortable and gave a good 3D experience. One question though. I wear glasses. Do you think these are large enough to fit over those? I may also try the True Depth for comparison. Did you buy all yours off Amazon?
pkelecy is offline  
post #3714 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 11:10 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,312
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

Alan, thanks for sharing you experience. It was very helpful. All the ones you tried, with the exception of the Panasonic, were on my "short list" as well. I'm surprised the X104s didn't do better for you, as they're rated quite high on Amazon.
As I mentioned, I hadn't considered the Panasonic glasses, but will definitely give them serious consideration. I don't think the small lenses would bother me as long as they were comfortable and gave a good 3D experience. One question though. I wear glasses. Do you think these are large enough to fit over those? I may also try the True Depth for comparison. Did you buy all yours off Amazon?

I wear prescription glasses as well and the Panasonics work very well for me, although the True Depth are good in that regard as well. A friend of mine has the Panasonics though, and he says they touch the temples on his glasses. We compared glasses and his are about 2mm wider than mine. So, it's hard to say...my wife has no problem with either and she wears glasses as well.

A few of the pairs I tried - PS3 in particular - have a ledge at the top of the frame that would sit on the top of my frames and push down. I found those to be the most uncomfortable.

As far as clarity, I couldn't see any difference between the X103s and the X104s.

Yes, I bought all of mine from Amazon thanks to their liberal return policy. wink.gif Be aware though - some of the glasses I bought were from outside sellers and I had to pay return shipping. Cost me about $20 total to test every pair of the most popular glasses - worth it in my book. smile.gif

Just an FYI - ALL of the glasses I tried have glare to one degree or another. I found the Panasonics to have the least glare, probably due to the smaller lenses. I notice the glare mostly from light behind me, or if I'm in a dark room, the light from the TV shines off my Rx glasses and bounces back onto the inside of the 3D glasses. My wife works at an optical shop and I asked her if she could put anti-glare on the 3D glasses - nope. mad.gif

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
SUB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
DISP:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alan P is online now  
post #3715 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Alan P's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,312
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 433 Post(s)
Liked: 230
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladysman View Post

In buying HDMI cables from Monoprice, i saw they have 3D glasses now. I'm going to hold out at first but was wondering what glasses everyone recommended for the 92840?
Also, if anyone has some stand designs my buddy is making me one as this is his "hobby" (woodworking). Any suggestions appreciated! Pics would be great or links. smile.gif

See my post just a little up this page.

AVR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

FL/R:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CC:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

SUR:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
SUB:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
x 4
DISP:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Alan P is online now  
post #3716 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 12:13 PM
Member
 
Gareee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 74
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
For the best bang for the buck, I really prefer the ps3 glasses.. plus I didn't want something flimsy... I wanted something more durable. Since they are at least $20 less than any other brand (and in most cases $30-$40 cheaper) Buying 2-3 pairs makes a huge difference price wise. Best buy occasionally also has $10 off deals on them, so thats really hard to beat.
Gareee is offline  
post #3717 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM
Advanced Member
 
Paul.R.S's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Hollywood, California
Posts: 762
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm about to go and skim through the 2012 (742/842) models thread, but I wanted to post herein and inquire as to whether or not there is any general consensus on the (de)merits of the 2010 (738/838) versus 2011 (740/840) versus 2012 models.

I have had a 73738 for a little over two years and have been pleased. I am looking to purchase an 82" in light of Mitsu's recent announcement of cessation of production of DLP RPTVs.

Movies and great PQ are are my number one priority--no gaming, no sports, no iPod/iPad connectivity/control. OPPO BDP-93 BD player.

I don't need the speaker array of the 8xx series as I have a dedicated 7.1 surround system. Internet connectivity is not a major priority, although the 2012 press release indicates that Internet options have expanded from 2010's VUDU only to "StreamTV, powered by VUDU" and there is a reference to Flickr. That would be wonderful if that means I could access my Flickr account directly through the display.

I have been mostly happy with the Samsung SSG-2200 glasses. The 2011 shift to a built-in IR emitter is not a big deal to me. Switching to Bluetooth/RF is not a priority.

I am looking for the best option--with price being a big factor--for an 82" across all three of these model years.

I think my biggest concern is the high number of folks in this thread who've had significant issues in terms of having to have motherboards replaced in their 2011 sets. I never had that problem with my 2010 set and would needless to say like to avoid it in the future.

Any insightful comparative comments appreciated.
Paul.R.S is offline  
post #3718 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 05:25 PM
Member
 
pkelecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

I wear prescription glasses as well and the Panasonics work very well for me, although the True Depth are good in that regard as well. A friend of mine has the Panasonics though, and he says they touch the temples on his glasses. We compared glasses and his are about 2mm wider than mine. So, it's hard to say...my wife has no problem with either and she wears glasses as well.
A few of the pairs I tried - PS3 in particular - have a ledge at the top of the frame that would sit on the top of my frames and push down. I found those to be the most uncomfortable.
As far as clarity, I couldn't see any difference between the X103s and the X104s.
Yes, I bought all of mine from Amazon thanks to their liberal return policy. wink.gif Be aware though - some of the glasses I bought were from outside sellers and I had to pay return shipping. Cost me about $20 total to test every pair of the most popular glasses - worth it in my book. smile.gif
Just an FYI - ALL of the glasses I tried have glare to one degree or another. I found the Panasonics to have the least glare, probably due to the smaller lenses. I notice the glare mostly from light behind me, or if I'm in a dark room, the light from the TV shines off my Rx glasses and bounces back onto the inside of the 3D glasses. My wife works at an optical shop and I asked her if she could put anti-glare on the 3D glasses - nope. mad.gif


Alan, thanks for the additional info. Again, very helpful. One other thing I was wondering about was whether all the glasses you tested worked with the IR emitter built into the 740/840 sets? I guess I know the Xpands and True Depth 3D do, but the others I'm not so sure about (the Panasonics in particular). Also, with the Panasonics, how did you decide which size to get? Apparently they come in large, medium, and small. My inclination would be the get the largest, but from a fit and comfort standpoint that may not necessarily be the best. My wifes head is smaller, so she especially might be better off with a M or S. Thanks again for the help!
pkelecy is offline  
post #3719 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 05:54 PM
Member
 
pkelecy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 97
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

For the best bang for the buck, I really prefer the ps3 glasses.. plus I didn't want something flimsy... I wanted something more durable. Since they are at least $20 less than any other brand (and in most cases $30-$40 cheaper) Buying 2-3 pairs makes a huge difference price wise. Best buy occasionally also has $10 off deals on them, so thats really hard to beat.

Garee, I've seen some reports of the PS3 glasses not working well with some Mitsubishi's (i.e. losing sync at normal viewing distances). Have you had any problems with that? Also, I assume the glasses don't care what 3D bluray player you're using (i.e. doesn't have to be a PS3). Right? You're right though, they are very reasonably priced compared to others (only $28 a pair on Amazon).
pkelecy is offline  
post #3720 of 3975 Old 12-06-2012, 06:32 PM
Member
 
ladysman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: IL
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My buddy is building one for me out of oak and he wants to know how high I need it. What does everyone recommend? My gut was about 16". I'm looking for recommendations. I'm sitting about 12 feet from the tv. Thanks!
ladysman is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off