2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 132 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-26-2014, 01:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
If you have CEC turned on turn it off. Does it have the latest firmware? If it is a main board they very simple to replace, but you will lose the set hours so write those down before replacement and it should start at zero set hours with a board replacement.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-26-2014, 03:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

Hey folks,

I'm working with a WD-73740. Bought it in Sep 2011 with 11646 hous on it, wow! Extended warranty just ran out!!!!!!!!!! Up until 3 days ago, it's been running fine.

Problem is it won't keep HDMI sync. IF and WHEN I can get a picture on HDMI, it will go to blue screen (signal loss). Could be 30 seconds or minutes. It seems to be getting worse.

I have;
tried different HDMI cables
tried all 3 different HDMI ports
done a complete TV reset (many times)
done a complete AVR reset
run HDMI straight from source (DVD player, Dish 722k, Laptop, and PC)
Hooked up a 22" VIZIO and it synced up with the AVR HDMI and all components running through it. This should rule out HDMI cables.

I still get a picture through the tuner and component. When I delete the HDMI input, it still auto-detects that something is plugged in and asks me to name it.
It just won't show a picture or if it does, it's just for a little while.

It sounds like the main board is bad to me. I downloaded the service manual and it seems pretty straight forward on how to do it.
After the main board replacement, the service manual says;

1. Perform “Restore Engine Data From Backup” and “Restore Geometry Data From Backup.”
and
2. If the customer has subscribed to VUDU (Internet
program provider), the customer must be instructed to contact VUDU to re-activate their account after the replacement
PWB has been installed. (although to me, there is a service menu item to deactivate VUDU??????????)

What do you folks think?
1. Order and try brand new cables anyway?
2. Should I not mess with it and just suck it up an pay for a technician.
3. Do you also think it's the main board?
If so, do you think I should try to replace it myself? I found new ones on ebay for as little as $75.
If so, do I need to worry about the a charge in the power supply and if so, how to discharge it?

thanks you,

Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

If you have CEC turned on turn it off. Does it have the latest firmware? If it is a main board they very simple to replace, but you will lose the set hours so write those down before replacement and it should start at zero set hours with a board replacement.

Dish DVR does not support CEC, so the menu says "HDMI control menu is only available with an HDMI source which supports CEC." So yes, it's off. If fact, only my Blu-ray player has CEC and I turned it off in the player itself, so I don't think that's the problem. I can't get my old DVD player or even my laptop or pc to sync and keep the picture.

It does have the latest firmware of 13.06.

I've done, changed, and reset everything I can think of.

Changing the main board reads like changing a mother board in a PC. Then you have to Perform “Restore Engine Data From Backup” and “Restore Geometry Data From Backup.”
Is it really that easy? Any tips about the power board since that has to be removed to get to the main board.

Does it sound like the main board to you? That's what the HDMI ports are on.
Old 02-14-2014, 12:12 PM

Hey guys, had this model for over 1.5 years now and have never replaced the lamp, which is getting dim. Is the original lamp Phillips? I'm looking here

http://www.discounttvlamps.com/p-131-mitsubishi-915b455011-lamp-replacement.aspx?variantID=259&Quantity=1&model=Bare%20Lamp&warranty=Free%203%20Month%20Warranty&affiliateid=10052&gclid=COv5x56ozLwCFWoV7AodwGsAMQ

and on the right is a Phillips lamp with housing for $79.99. Is that the recommended lamp to buy? If so seems like a good deal right?
Old 02-14-2014, 04:07 PM

Liked: 15
i would only buy from here

https://mitsuparts.3diamonds.com/PartsForModel.aspx
|Tch0rT| likes this.
Old 02-14-2014, 05:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post

^+1
|Tch0rT| likes this.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 02-14-2014, 05:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 85
Better to buy and get gouged by Mits and know it works then save a little cash and potentially have a nightmare IMO.

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Old 02-15-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustolem View Post

What model number do we search for there? I know we'll need a lamp in the next 6 months.
Old 02-15-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gareee View Post

What model number do we search for there? I know we'll need a lamp in the next 6 months.

I'm amazed at how many people don't know their own model numbers WD xx740 WD xx840
Old 02-15-2014, 10:46 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

I'm amazed at how many people don't know their own model numbers WD xx740 WD xx840

I thought it wanted the model # of the part itself, not the tv.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:15 PM

Hey all, I have a WD-82740. Ever since I have had it I have noticed a small slight smudge on the screen. It has never really bothered me but I think it's time to clean the screen.

I have read some topics concerning this is there anything specific to clean the screen on this model? The inside of the unit is clean but the screen itself has a very light smudge which really shows up only on white backgrounds. There is nothing wrong with the picture itself or the quality just the smudge. Should I get a professional to clean it or is there a simple process to just removing the screen and cleaning it without having to take out the light engine or pieces in the back?

Thanks

Mitusbishi WD-82740
Samsung HL67A750
Onkyo TX-SR608
Definitive Technology ProTower 400 Towers
Definitive Mythos 3 Center
Definitive ProCinema 800 rears
Two polk psw110's
Old 03-24-2014, 12:51 AM

Small bump just curious on any suggestions

Mitusbishi WD-82740
Samsung HL67A750
Onkyo TX-SR608
Definitive Technology ProTower 400 Towers
Definitive Mythos 3 Center
Definitive ProCinema 800 rears
Two polk psw110's
Old 04-02-2014, 08:05 AM

Hi guys,

Im looking for picture calibration settings for the Mitsubishi WD-82740 ?
Old 04-02-2014, 08:41 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin Go View Post

Hi guys,

Im looking for picture calibration settings for the Mitsubishi WD-82740 ?

http://www.tlvexp.ca/2012/12/the-fruits-of-copying-settings-the-pioneer-lottery/

My Home Theater/Video Gaming/HTPC/2 Channel rig (Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 AM

thanks! but just want to know as a reference. cz I already calibrate my t.v. and still not happy

Old 04-02-2014, 11:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked: 285
Just set it to Natural, color temp Low

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 04-02-2014, 04:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Just set it to Natural, color temp Low
Right. I think he was just looking for a starting place, and that's a good one.
Old 04-14-2014, 02:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 64
Calibration on these sets is a complicated thing as these sets are not very linear and the most accurate preset modes have undersaturated blues. Bright Picture mode is oversaturated which is probably useful for setting a daylight calibration. I found the best way to calibrate these sets is with a Radiance Lumagen and Bright Picture Mode. The Auto-Calibrate feature of Calman or Chromapure will easily provide a very accurate calibration including the saturation sweeps with a Lumagen or an EE color box. Theoretically one could use an HTPC and MadVR/Argyll CMS but that is quite specialized and limited in application.

I have a Lumagen Radiance XS and ChromaPure Pro with a Display 3 Pro colorimeter and a iD1 pro Spectrometer to profile the Display 3 Pro. I usually calibrate after a lamp has a couple hundred hours and I find it looks quite good for the remaining 2200 hours of useful life of a lamp on the 92840. The more recent versions of Calman and ChromaPure have improved performance and I look forward to my next lamp. Using ChromaPure 2.1 I was able to get my dEs to average about 1.1 across 125 color points. The 2.5 version should better that considerably.

For those wanting the absolute best color possible on one of these sets I suggest an EE Color box and Calman Entusiast. Color Accuracy should be nearly perfect across a wide range of colors and saturations. Mitsubishi just did not provide great built in tools or processing to manage color well. Going outboard is the best and really one way to get accurate realistic color on these displays.

The one thing that really bugs me about my set is the creaking, popping and groaning sounds of the huge plastic back. At nearly 7 thousand hours you would think I would be used to it by now... I find it really unnerving. I don't remember my 82837 being nearly as bad as this set is for chassis expansion and contraction noises. I could understand it if only occurred during warm up or cool down but it happens every 10 to 15 minutes sometimes. My next set out of necessity will be an LED of similar size.. until I can afford such a thing I will continue to use this. I have a 5 year SquareTrade warranty and the set is right at 2.5 years old. I paid 4K so it needs to hang in there for a couple more years at least.
|Tch0rT| likes this.

Mits WD-92840 92" DLP - Lumagen Radiance XS, Martin Logan Motion 40s, Ascend Sierra 2s
Older 58" Panny Plasma -DVDO DUO, JBL Studio 530
Pioneer AJs, PSB Images, Usher S520, JBL HLS-610, Definitive SM45, MusicHall Marimba
Old 04-14-2014, 06:17 PM
Advanced Member

I've been going the ArgyllCMS/madVR route since 90% of my content is on my HTPC with my 73640. I got it the best I could with the built in controls (blue is the worst) and used ArgyllCMS to tighten up the rest. At some point I'll probably buy an eeColor LUT box.

Old 04-24-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 2047 Post(s)
Liked: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post

Had my 73740 for about a year and a half now. Replaced the first bulb about 8 months in and just ordered up another today (both direct from Mitsubishi).

I've noticed when the bulb is getting a bit long in the tooth, I will get some flashing in the picture - it's very subtle (my wife can't see it unless I pause the video), but it's definitely there. The flashing is most noticeable on bright or white content.

I had the same flashing right before I replaced the first bulb and was gone until just recently. FYI, both bulbs had about 3000 hours on them when the flashing started.

Is this just the bulb getting old, or is something else going on here?

I posted this back in Nov 2013 and I got a new bulb then, installed on 12/10/2013. I also got a new ballast and installed it at the same time just in case that was the problem.

The output has been getting quite dim over the last few weeks after just 5 months and about 1200 hours, and just yesterday the flashing came back . frown.gif

Just ordered up a new bulb. Any ideas why I go through them so quickly? I was thinking maybe excess heat build up, but the back of my TV is about 10" from the wall and seems to have plenty of air flow. Would a fan of some sort help?

Also I wasn't happy to see that Mitsu raised the price of bulbs from $99 to $118. mad.gif

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
--------------------------------------------------
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 04-24-2014, 10:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked: 811
Quote:

I posted this back in Nov 2013 and I got a new bulb then, installed on 12/10/2013. I also got a new ballast and installed it at the same time just in case that was the problem.

The output has been getting quite dim over the last few weeks after just 5 months and about 1200 hours, and just yesterday the flashing came back . frown.gif

Just ordered up a new bulb. Any ideas why I go through them so quickly? I was thinking maybe excess heat build up, but the back of my TV is about 10" from the wall and seems to have plenty of air flow. Would a fan of some sort help?

Also I wasn't happy to see that Mitsu raised the price of bulbs from $99 to $118. mad.gif

This happens with my 73738, the flashing will go away, just use the bright lamp setting for an hour or so and it should stabilize , check your contrast and bright levels using a calibration disc as I'm sure there fine at 1200 hrs. I notice the flashing occurs when outside temperature humidity etc.. changes but it far and in between , I do have a couple of spare lamps and all have exhibited this behavior but all still bright none the less smile.gif
Old 04-24-2014, 02:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, what if I use the bright lamp setting at all times? redface.gif

Some have suggested to switch to "Bright" pic mode and that will fix it...didn't help with mine.

Even if it wasn't flashing, I can tell the brightness isn't what it used to be...over the last few weeks I've had to slowly bump up the contrast until it is now maxed out (with gamma at 2.2) and the pic is still a bit dim to my eyes. Maybe my eyes are just getting old...? biggrin.gif

I really need to get a calibration disc, all I got is a DVD of Video Essentials that's probably more than 15 years old....gonna go order that Disney WOW BR right now!

AVR: Denon 4520ci, FL/R: Klipschorn, CC: Klipsch RC-64ii, SUR: Polk LS/FX x4, FH: Klipsch RB-51ii x2, SUB: PSA T-18 x2, DISP: Mitsubishi WD-73740, BluRay: PS3 & BDP-S5100, Remote: URC MX-700
Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 04-24-2014, 04:00 PM
AVS Special Member

You have a failing ballast, hence the flickering. A failing ballast shortens the life of your lamps. A new lamp will appear to fix the issue, but that's because a newer lamp is easier to fire up than an older one. It is true the flickering will taper off, but so will your brightness. You certainly need a new lamp, but I would replace the ballast before I installed the new lamp.
Old 04-24-2014, 07:33 PM

Hello everyone. I have a 73740 that I have recently had an issue with. I have, only what I can explain as, a rainbow colored blob on the lower left hand screen. It's really noticeable on white screens but now that I've seen it I notice in on everything. Any ideas as to what this might be or if anyone else has had the same issues? Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 120inna55 View Post

You have a failing ballast, hence the flickering. A failing ballast shortens the life of your lamps. A new lamp will appear to fix the issue, but that's because a newer lamp is easier to fire up than an older one. It is true the flickering will taper off, but so will your brightness. You certainly need a new lamp, but I would replace the ballast before I installed the new lamp.

Per my previous post:
Quote:

Could the ballast have gone bad that quickly as well?? At this rate I might as well put the money towards a new TV...any suggestions for an affordable, huge,3D TV?

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 04-25-2014, 08:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Per my previous post:
Could the ballast have gone bad that quickly as well?? At this rate I might as well put the money towards a new TV...any suggestions for an affordable, huge,3D TV?
Yes, just like lamps, ballasts can fail early, but that's not typical. In nominal conditions, one should expect the ballast to last the life of the TV. To protect against further issues, I recommend you use a power conditioner or UPS with AVR (automatic voltage regulation).

I may be way off base, but the flickering and early lamp failure are classic symptoms of a failing ballast.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, much earlier in this thread people mentioned having the same flashing when the lamp was about to die and mines done it 3 times now, once with a relatively new ballast. Is there any other component I should think about replacing?

I got a new lamp on the way, guess I'll see what happens...if this one goes out in 5-6 months again I guess it's time for a new TV. smile.gif

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 04-28-2014, 07:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well, what if I use the bright lamp setting at all times? redface.gif

Some have suggested to switch to "Bright" pic mode and that will fix it...didn't help with mine.

Even if it wasn't flashing, I can tell the brightness isn't what it used to be...over the last few weeks I've had to slowly bump up the contrast until it is now maxed out (with gamma at 2.2) and the pic is still a bit dim to my eyes. Maybe my eyes are just getting old...? biggrin.gif

I really need to get a calibration disc, all I got is a DVD of Video Essentials that's probably more than 15 years old....gonna go order that Disney WOW BR right now!

Well, well, well...I got the WOW disc this weekend and boy were my settings out of whack! After 20+ years with big screen TVs, I thought I could just eye ball it...I was way off this time. Also, I was wrong, I did not have the contrast maxed out.

Apparently the correct contrast setting on this unit is max (65), it's the only setting that turns the two furthest right bars pure white (in "beginner" contrast adjustment on WOW disc, I had it set around 50). Also, I had my brightness at around 20, when apparently it should be around 37(!).

Results - my pic looks amazing again! Thank you WOW disc!! Oh, and I haven't had any flashing since the one time the other day...it was one of the first day this year I was able to have all the windows in the house open, so I'm blaming it on the humidity. smile.gif
120inna55 and audiofan1 like this.

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 06-04-2014, 09:37 AM
AVS Special Member

About one month on the new lamp - flashing is back. frown.gif

Have only seen it twice so far in the last couple days, but I am not a happy camper. Guess I'll try another ballast and see what happens.

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 06-08-2014, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Well, before I even had a chance to address the most recent bout of flashing, a new issue has come up.

Just today, I notice these strange streaks on my screen. I'm fairly certain they weren't there yesterday. Any idea what this might be?

I cleaned the mirror and the back of the screen. I also tried a different lamp but these streaks did not change.

Upper left:

Lower right, which also shows a small smudge that just showed up as well:

And full screen:

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ
Old 06-10-2014, 07:22 AM
AVS Special Member

See here for the resolution to my streaking problem. redface.gif

Just a tip - if anyone else sees this pattern on their screen, clean your mirror! biggrin.gif

Getting Started with REW
Audyssey 101
Audyssey FAQ

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv