2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 136 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 31Likes

post #4051 of 4062 Old 04-05-2016, 01:17 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I can say without much doubt..........No. Sony has the market cornered for now. Their 4k stuff goes from
about 10K to 20K with very little discount available. JVC and Epson have in between models, priced from
maybe 4K to 10K but they are sort of hybrid being between our current standard and true 4k. I would like
to consider one of those but am undecided on that front. If I were a younger guy I would get the Sony
for now (I did !) and wait perhaps 1 to 2 yrs for a quality 4k under 5 thousand. My problem is time, I might
not be here long enough !!!! Home theater stuff is a moving target, I've never been able to catch it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4052 of 4062 Old 04-05-2016, 01:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
I too, am anxiously awaiting the pricing on the new Vizo M series.

I (and many others on this thread) have not had much luck with the non-OEM lamps...I always buy mine direct from Mitsu.

Hi Alan,

I didn't know you were a fellow Mits owner. I just checked in here today on a whim, but I still love my 92840. It will have to do for me until something reasonably affordable comes along in the 100" 4K/HDR range. That will be several years from now, I'm afraid, but unfortunately a projector and screen won't work in my room. And having been at this screen size, I know I can't go smaller.

Regards,
Mike
post #4053 of 4062 Old 04-05-2016, 01:34 PM

Hi Alan,

Without knowledge of your room, obviously can't dispute your reply. I am not an advocate for front projection, but it has
worked very well for me. I have a combo living/dining room with regular lighting (no dedicated area) and just placed the screen
against the wall behind where my 92 was. One thing for sure, the 92 gathers attention, but can be a bear to move. I carried the
Sony up the stairs myself (quite proud of that) and came away with a larger picture. One downside I neglected to mention is that
this particular projector has no sound....you must use your receiver for audio. Most probably do anyway, but you don't have the
option when you go this route.
post #4054 of 4062 Old 04-05-2016, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post
Hi Alan,

I didn't know you were a fellow Mits owner. I just checked in here today on a whim, but I still love my 92840. It will have to do for me until something reasonably affordable comes along in the 100" 4K/HDR range. That will be several years from now, I'm afraid, but unfortunately a projector and screen won't work in my room. And having been at this screen size, I know I can't go smaller.

Regards,
Mike
Hey Mike! Great minds DO think alike.

Only a 73740 here...and now these guys got me thinking about projectors....again.

The Mitsu has served me well since 2011, but I am seriously considering the 75" Vizios....just want to wait and see what the pricing is on the M series before jumping on one of the P series.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #4055 of 4062 Old 04-05-2016, 03:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1069 Post(s)
Liked: 318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan P View Post
Hey Mike! Great minds DO think alike.

Only a 73740 here...and now these guys got me thinking about projectors....again.

The Mitsu has served me well since 2011, but I am seriously considering the 75" Vizios....just want to wait and see what the pricing is on the M series before jumping on one of the P series.
I think I will end up going with a Vizio as well since the 4k projectors and OLED TVs are out of the price range that I'm interested in and the size I want. It will be hard enough going from my 92842 92" to a 75" Vizio.

lujan
63 Ultra HD
836 HD
19 HD DVD
7 SD
post #4056 of 4062 Old 04-05-2016, 04:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1509 Post(s)
Liked: 1712
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeRed View Post
Hi Alan,

Without knowledge of your room, obviously can't dispute your reply. I am not an advocate for front projection, but it has
worked very well for me. I have a combo living/dining room with regular lighting (no dedicated area) and just placed the screen
against the wall behind where my 92 was. One thing for sure, the 92 gathers attention, but can be a bear to move. I carried the
Sony up the stairs myself
(quite proud of that) and came away with a larger picture. One downside I neglected to mention is that
this particular projector has no sound....you must use your receiver for audio. Most probably do anyway, but you don't have the
option when you go this route.

Hi,

You said Sony, but if you carried a 92840 up a set of stairs by yourself (or anywhere at all for that matter), you have every right to be proud of that.

Regards,
Mike
post #4057 of 4062 Old 04-05-2016, 04:19 PM

My mistake in word phrasing. It took 4 of us to carry the mits down the steps. I just
meant the Sony which is a much larger picture seemed silly in being able to basically carry
the thing single handed. The 92" is a classic for sure and never failed to turn heads with
"wow, that's a big television". Ironically the projector screen gets not much notice at all,
until its got a picture on it ! A big picture in any form is the way to watch things.
mthomas47 likes this.
post #4058 of 4062 Old 06-11-2016, 04:10 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hey, dumb question here... but what liquid are you guys using to clean your screens and/or projector lenses? Thinking it's time for a tune-up.
post #4059 of 4062 Old 06-14-2016, 04:42 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Have 82840 in excellent condition with four spare bulbs available for sale Chicago north suburbs $750 with stand. Replacing.
post #4060 of 4062 Old 06-14-2016, 04:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 674 Post(s)
Liked: 581
Quote:
Originally Posted by henrywh View Post
Have 82840 in excellent condition with four spare bulbs available for sale Chicago north suburbs $750 with stand. Replacing.

Put it in the classifieds. http://www.avsforum.com/forum/255-rear-projection/

Wish I lived closer.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #4061 of 4062 Old Today, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have a 73742 and was wondering how to tell if the screen needs to be cleaned. Due to the texture of the surface of the screen, I have a hard time telling if there is any dust on it.
post #4062 of 4062 Old Today, 01:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 3680 Post(s)
Liked: 2442
If you've never cleaned it, I can guarantee you will see a BIG difference once you do.

Wait, are you talking about just the front of the screen?? That should be cleaned on a regular basis and is very easy to do...cleaning the interior of the screen and the mirror is a bit more complicated, but very worthwhile.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page