2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 3969 Old 10-19-2011, 11:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So everyone with the 13.04 update noticed better 3D playback with BluRay?

With the Pan 310 BluRay player, is is better to TURN OFF the 24p with 3D content?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 3969 Old 10-20-2011, 04:54 AM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear View Post

So everyone with the 13.04 update noticed better 3D playback with BluRay?

With the Pan 310 BluRay player, is is better to TURN OFF the 24p with 3D content?

Yeah, its not suppose to be on for 3D playback. That keeps the frame locked at 24 frames per second. Lbear, that might have been the problem for you in the first place. That would be really slow and cause very bad judder. You need the full 120hz for 3d.(basically 60hz x 2, 60 for both eyes.)

Wow. That would kill 3d man.

Cool Beans.
post #633 of 3969 Old 10-20-2011, 08:43 AM

Just got a hold of Mitsubishi. The TV is officially dead. I have to wait until Tuesday for a service tech with a new circuit board. I won't be doing a USB update any longer. I will let the system auto update from now on.
post #634 of 3969 Old 10-20-2011, 09:22 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjohns22 View Post

Had my 73740 for just over a week a just got some 1.4a hdmi cables - Can anyone tell me if any of the TVs hdmi ports support ARC? Been looking at the manual but cannot find it mentioned. Thanks

The TV does not support ARC. HDMI LLC. 1.4a specs do not require the TV to support this feature, however if the TV does support the feature, HDMI LLC. does required the TV manufacturers to list this support and make clear how to use it.
post #635 of 3969 Old 10-20-2011, 09:35 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Yeah, its not suppose to be on for 3D playback. That keeps the frame locked at 24 frames per second. Lbear, that might have been the problem for you in the first place. That would be really slow and cause very bad judder. You need the full 120hz for 3d.(basically 60hz x 2, 60 for both eyes.)

Wow. That would kill 3d man.

Actually this is not correct. The frame packing signal for Blu-ray 3D is automatically 24fps. That is the spec for 1080p 3D frame packing. Frame packing is a frame of 1920 column by 2205 lines at 24 frames per second (this is in a form of Top and Bottom of 1920 x 1080 frames with a separating buffer. The TV converts this to 1920 x 1080 at 60 fps per eye. Then Mitsubsihi will display this as a checkerboard pattern (every other pixel on a line for one eye and then the opposite pixels for the other eye). However the HDMI signal is 24 frame per second.

The 24 fps setting in the Blu-ray player (the TV does not have one) does not involve frame packing 3D. It is for standard 2D Blu-ray movies which are also 1920 x 1080 at 24fps. This allows the TV to convert the 24 fps to what ever the TV's native display rate is. Turning this off makes the Blu-ray player convert the origianl 24fps to 60fps before sending to the TV. Try both settings and see which looks best to you. The TV will accept both.
post #636 of 3969 Old 10-20-2011, 11:51 AM

I know this is not about the firmware, but here is my question:
I'm going to order my 73740 replacement tomorrow and well, I'm thinking I'm going to have to update my receive from my current Onkyo TX-SR501. The question is what specs inparticular do I need for the 3D to be effective? just 3d Pass through? or what am I missing?
Also, the 3d glasses for 3dgx103's, where is the cheapest place to buy them? I plan on using my PS3, unless it's suggested to use a regular 3d blu ray? Not sure.. searching for advice as I don't have alot of $$'s after ordering the tv.
Thanks
Pet
post #637 of 3969 Old 10-20-2011, 11:53 AM

Uplandhunter, so sorry to hear about your bricked set. I had some trepidation about doing the USB update myself, but my experience went just like the book. I know that members of the AVS forums do this all the time for many different pieces of equipment using thumb drives and CDs if the device has a drive. I think we'd all like to know what the Mitsubishi techs have to say about this when they show up. Did Mitsubishi have any explanation for the glitch when you talked to them?
Good luck with your board replacement.
post #638 of 3969 Old 10-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

~Snip~

And I thank you for the informative correction.

Cool Beans.
post #639 of 3969 Old 10-20-2011, 06:48 PM

The Mits representative knew exactly what had happened. He didn't hesitate in letting me know a board had to be replaced. He is overnighting the part to a local service center. They will be here first thing Tuesday to replace it.
post #640 of 3969 Old 10-21-2011, 07:27 AM

My 82740 is going to be here between 2:00 - 4:00 today I can't wait to see what this bad boy looks like now all I'am waiting for is the panasonic 310 and a couple pair of the xpand 3dg-x103's so I won't be able to comment on 3d but can't wait to see how this compares to my old mitsubishi 73734. I'll post up some pics as soon as I get my camera going. I can't believe that today is the day cleveland plasma has to have some of the fastest shipping I've ever seen.I'll post my impressions later today when I get it
post #641 of 3969 Old 10-21-2011, 07:41 AM

olschool88, I had the same experience with Chris at Cleveland Plasma; great outfit to deal with. I'm very pleased with my WD-73740, the biggest that would fit my location; you'll be happy with your 82 incher I'm sure.
post #642 of 3969 Old 10-21-2011, 08:33 PM

Trying to connect my Panasonic 310 to the TV...picture looks great, I just can't get sound through my receiver....frustrating. But 3d looks awesome.
post #643 of 3969 Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thursdaynighter View Post

Trying to connect my Panasonic 310 to the TV...picture looks great, I just can't get sound through my receiver....frustrating. But 3d looks awesome.

If you don't hook your blu-ray to the receiver because of no HDMI inputs, get a TOSlink/optical cable to hook in to the blu-ray player to the receiver. Had to do this for a month till I bought a new receiver.

Cool Beans.
post #644 of 3969 Old 10-22-2011, 12:18 PM

I currently have a Yamaha YSP-1 sound projector but will probably be letting that go once I receive the WD-92840 since it has what sounds like the same thing built in. My question is will the set decode DTS audio? What other audio formats does it support?
post #645 of 3969 Old 10-22-2011, 05:29 PM

I had the same problem with the 310 and my Onkyo receiver with no sound. Finally went back to the single HDMI connection. It works now. It would work the first time but never again after the first connection with the 2 HDMI connections. Just gave up.
post #646 of 3969 Old 10-23-2011, 06:28 PM

Thanks for all the info guys!! I am a new guy here. 22 pages later and I feel like I know a little bit about my new tv. I just received my 82740 a couple days ago and I am still figuring out the tv. Picture is great and glad I bought it after lurking on these forums for a couple months. I ordered a 738 but got a 740 to my surprise. Be easy on me when I start asking dumb questions. Looks like I need the 13.04 update so far and either an emitter or different glasses than the 3 active I originally ordered.
post #647 of 3969 Old 10-23-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by machine101 View Post

I had the same problem with the 310 and my Onkyo receiver with no sound. Finally went back to the single HDMI connection. It works now. It would work the first time but never again after the first connection with the 2 HDMI connections. Just gave up.

Machine-what are your exact 310 audio settings that gets you HD-DTS on the Onkyo (if that is the case)?
post #648 of 3969 Old 10-23-2011, 08:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amizar View Post

Thanks for all the info guys!! I am a new guy here. 22 pages later and I feel like I know a little bit about my new tv. I just received my 82740 a couple days ago and I am still figuring out the tv. Picture is great and glad I bought it after lurking on these forums for a couple months. I ordered a 738 but got a 740 to my surprise. Be easy on me when I start asking dumb questions. Looks like I need the 13.04 update so far and either an emitter or different glasses than the 3 active I originally ordered.

To improve bluray 3D yes you need the update. Now as far as the 3D glasses and emitter, the tv has a built in emitter for certain glasses. If your glasses don't work then you may either want to buy new glasses that will work with the built in emitter (I heard that Panasonic 3D glasses work as well as xpand glasses) or buy an emitter that works with your current glasses. Also if you bought your tv from Oct 2nd thru 15th you get two glasses for free via Mitsubishi rebate.
post #649 of 3969 Old 10-24-2011, 09:14 AM

Thanks, Unfortunately I ordered the TV on the 16th so I guess i will not be getting any free glasses.
post #650 of 3969 Old 10-24-2011, 03:50 PM

I just took delivery of my WD-92840 yesterday and have been playing with it ever since. I was upgrading from a 2005 Mitsu 73" whose model number is escaping me at the moment. It was an impulse buy, since I stumbled into a really good sale and was really impressed with the picture quality. I've found that I prefer "Brilliant" as a picture setting with "Normal" lamp setting (instead of Bright.) Accessing the advanced calibration tools is easy, and I will probably get the set professionally calibrated at some point.

My primary input source is an HTPC.

I was worried about the reflectiveness of the screen - turns out that was unfounded. It's really no worse in real life application than my 73" was.

The 3D is better than any 3D demo I've ever seen in an electronics store. We watched Megamind in 3D and were blown away by how clear, crisp and deep it turned out. I've never seen an in-store display like that.

I also watched some live football on it. I was very pleased with the motion, sharpness and color of live TV broadcasts.

One thing that doesn't get commented on is the sound. My Denon AVR-1912 is at Panurgy for warranty repair (long story) so I'm temporarily using the speaker bar at the bottom of the TV. It does have an output for a subwoofer and it sounds excellent for an integrated sound bar solution. My only complaint is that it can only decode Dolby Digital, so DTS soundtracks have to be decoded by my HTPC and streamed as PCM. I haven't gone to the trouble of setting up their microphone and doing the room calibration auto-setup, since I expect the Denon AVR to come back soon.

If you have any questions, I'll try to answer them, since I see several people on this thread aren't owners, but are thinking about buying.
post #651 of 3969 Old 10-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFLeonard View Post

I currently have a Yamaha YSP-1 sound projector but will probably be letting that go once I receive the WD-92840 since it has what sounds like the same thing built in. My question is will the set decode DTS audio? What other audio formats does it support?

I heard it will not.
post #652 of 3969 Old 10-25-2011, 01:57 PM

Question for anyone. Is it really necessary to upgrade the 82840 to V13.04 if 3D isn't used?
What other glitches are supposed to have been addressed?

Thanks Lew
post #653 of 3969 Old 10-25-2011, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrande View Post

Question for anyone. Is it really necessary to upgrade the 82840 to V13.04 if 3D isn't used?
What other glitches are supposed to have been addressed?

Thanks Lew

There is no detailed info as to what the firmware update did. Judder was the main issue but there could have been more. It is always better to get the latest firmware updates.
post #654 of 3969 Old 10-25-2011, 05:50 PM

lol just posted this on wrong place - another site that sounds just like this one - this is the one I meant to use.......

Just got this Mitsubishi WD 82740 82-inch DLP television at tigerdirect. it got here about 10 days after I ordered it, as promised. the delivery guys was nice - brought it inside to my TV room. the box was huge !!

My I-Phone camera used here doesn't do the clarity of the picture justice - it is really a fantasticly clear picture and handles the motion in action scenes better than my 40" Sony Bravia LCD which, even at that size, shows some pixilation. Huge improvement over my 57" Hitachi rear-projection, which I am now going to sell on craigs list.

The LCD's all have that over-saturated shiny color - this is a true cinematic experience. I especially like the NATURAL setting. I change it to BRIGHT when the sun make the room bright, and it glows a bit like an LCD at that setting, which is fine to make up for the sunlight.

What they've basically done is take a LDP projector and put it behind the screen instead of in front. After you turn off the TV, the projector fan blows a little while longer to cool down the bulb. But the fan noise isn't noticeable at all during shows and movies.

HUGE wow factor - jaw dropping size and clarity - my wife and son were speechless when they first walked into the room

I am just a consumer - not involved in the industry - just an avid purchaser of all things home theater.

My tips:
* I sit 10' away from the screen, and 480i TV looks fine. As more and more of my favorite channels move to HD, I'll be happier, but for now watching John Stewart on Comedy Channel standard resolution wasn't bad at all. But I wouldn't want to be closer than 9' watching 480i

* I plug a PS3 and my XFinity cable TV box into my AV processor (Emotiva UMC-1) using HDMI. The TV hdmi handshake was effortless - plug in and watch. I had problems getting the PS3 video/audio to come across. I messed around with the PS3 out settings....maybe too much....and had to reset my PS3 to factory defaults. After turning off all equipment twice, and unplugging the component out connection (HDMI standard does not allow simultaneous component out and HDMI out, for copyright protection, and my UMC-1 senses when the component out is there and forces a lower resolution) the HDMI handshake took place and voila! I was watching a Blu-Ray disc in my PS3 at 1080p with THX Master HD audio...awesome lossless theater sound and amazing clarity on the screen.

* because the Emotive UMC-1 has a totally awesome video upscaler, I turned off all settings in the PS3 that smoothed or upscaled the video - I want raw video output, as I read in this forum and others, so all the tough work, like 480i (cable TV) to 1080p conversion, is done on the UMC-1 and not the cheaper version that Mitsubishi puts in theirs. interesting thing is there is only one screen resolution - 1080p - that is ever used on this TV - if you feed the TV something lower, it will automatically upscale it first. converting 480i or 1080i (XBox 360) to 1080p is tricky business, so I set my UMC-1 to always output 1080p - it does all the heavy lifting, letting my TV do what it does best.

* my XBOX 360 looks amazing, even with the old version I have that only puts out component video at 1080i. a completely different gaming experience. on MX-ATV Reflex, I can see every little bump and rock I am going over. on call of duty 3, I can see my enemies better !! and it is so big, you get immersed in the action. bad news: when you get killed, it hurts MORE !! it really feels more real !!

* I ordered a calibration disk on Amazon
Spears & Munsil High-Definition Benchmark Blu-ray Disc Edition [Blu-ray]
Sold by: OPPO Digital
Condition: new
Quantity: 1
$25.00 each
Item subtotal: $25.00

So I should be able to make the picture even better that way.

* I read here and elsewhere that the new 82840's and even the LaserVue's have a glossy screen....that they've tried to take a projector TV and turn it into an LCD/Plasma looking screen. That's why I got the 82740 - it still has the MATTE screen which works best for my bright room (incredible - virtually no reflections, unlike my old Hitachi 57"

My setup:
Cisco RNG200 Comcast/XFinity DVR 2009

New: Mitsubishi WD 82740 82 DLP
Old:Hitachi 57F500A TV
Emotiva UMC-1 AV Processor / Preamp 2011/$699
Emotiva UPA7 7 Ch Amp 2011/$699 125w/ch

Speakers:
Polk Audio Rti10 Front R/L $569ea 90db
Polk Audio CSi5 Center 2009/$249 89db MSRP$479
Polk Audio Fxi-A4 Surround R/L 2009/$279/pr 88db MSRP$449
Martin-Logan Descent 3x10" 400W Subwoofer
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #655 of 3969 Old 10-25-2011, 05:59 PM

Like I said, these are iPhone pictures, so you'll just have to trust me the clarity is awesome. what these pics give you a sense of is the sheer size and beauty of the picture...
LL
LL
LL
post #656 of 3969 Old 10-26-2011, 06:53 AM

Wow!!!! I can't wait to get my 73740, if )(*&#)(#*&)# Mitsubishi ever gets their A$$'s moving...

-P
post #657 of 3969 Old 10-26-2011, 02:00 PM

I recently got the 73740 and the picture is grainy on some things I've tried adjusting the sharpness and that doesn't work, anyone have any suggestions. Also does any one have an custom picture settings.
post #658 of 3969 Old 10-26-2011, 05:19 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I went to three stores today looking to see the 82" and the 92" in person but none of the stores had them. I went to Best Buy, Video Only and Magnolia Hifi....... I did see the new Sharp 80" LCD, the picture was great but they wanted $5,000, that's out of my price range.

I am having a stand made but the shortest that I can go is 19" to fit all of my components. Is that too tall for the 82"?

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

post #659 of 3969 Old 10-26-2011, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K5/SS View Post

I went to three stores today looking to see the 82" and the 92" in person but none of the stores had them. I went to Best Buy, Video Only and Magnolia Hifi....... I did see the new Sharp 80" LCD, the picture was great but they wanted $5,000, that's out of my price range.

I am having a stand made but the shortest that I can go is 19" to fit all of my components. Is that too tall for the 82"?

19" is not too tall.

As far finding a DLP, you are most likely going to have to buy it via the internet. Best Buy is a JOKE and no self-respecting AV person should ever be caught shopping for a TV at Best Buy.
post #660 of 3969 Old 10-26-2011, 05:39 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Thanks Lbear. Yeah, I should have sai it was a Best Buy with a Magnolia Hifi in it haha. It's where I bought my SC-35 and my 65" Mitsubishi Dimond DLP a few years ago.

Oppo BDP103, Mitsubishi WD8240, Klipsch RF-63's, Pioneer Elite SC-25, Furman Elite 15, Emotiva XPA-5, Harmony 1100, Rythmik FV15HP

Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page