Forum Jump: 

post #721 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 10:40 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

Unfortunatly you cannot keep it at just eh xx40 series - all of the new series are xx40 except for the laser TV. To answer that question you need all of the last 3 digits.

For the 740 series and the 840 series you do not need the version of the expand glasses with the emitter, the compatible emitter is built into the TV. So that would be the 3DG-X103 (just the glasses), not the 3DG-EX103 (the E for emitter).

For the 640 series and last years models you need the emitter or you need one 3DG-EX103 and then you use the 3DG-X103 for additional glasses.

Wrong. I am using DLP LINK on my 640. He is correct. Any DLP Link glasses will work with the 640/740/840. Perfer the Optoma ZD101's here.

Cool Beans.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 10:55 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Wrong. I am using DLP LINK on my 640. He is correct. Any DLP Link glasses will work with the 640/740/840. Perfer the Optoma ZD101's here.

He did not ask about DLP Link glasses, both types of glasses he referred to are IR glasses. He asked about the Xpand glasses and the NXG kit.

If he wants DLP Link glasses, yes all of them are compatible with any of the Mitsubishi TVs. Again he asked specifically about two different glasses systems, not all. Also the IR glasses on Amazon are less expensive than the ZD101 on Amazon so that may influnce the decision as well.
post #723 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 11:57 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

Quote:

He did not ask about DLP Link glasses, both types of glasses he referred to are IR glasses. He asked about the Xpand glasses and the NXG kit.

If he wants DLP Link glasses, yes all of them are compatible with any of the Mitsubishi TVs. Again he asked specifically about two different glasses systems, not all. Also the IR glasses on Amazon are less expensive than the ZD101 on Amazon so that may influnce the decision as well.

Ok, so which IR glasses are talking about (I'm looking).. are these what we're talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...0782037&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...0782037&sr=8-1

Will these work:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-31...782037&sr=8-10

Thanks!
Pete
post #724 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 12:16 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsid View Post

Ok, so which IR glasses are talking about (I'm looking).. are these what we're talking about:
http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...0782037&sr=8-3
http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...0782037&sr=8-1

Will these work:
http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-SSG-31...782037&sr=8-10

Thanks!
Pete

If you look at the original post that askes the question and click on the NXG highlight, it takes you directly to the version he was asking about and it inlcudes an IR emitter. http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...d_rhf_dp_p_t_2

No the Samsung glasses SSG-3100GB are Blu-tooth glasses and not compatible with the Mitsubishi TVs.
post #725 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkeyradish View Post

Overscan.

I am interested in a 73740 for the sole purpose of hooking it up to my computer. Research into the benefits of DLP TVs was very promising until i read about overscan issues with computer use. Overscan sounds like an issue that would greatly annoy me - I can imagine the windows taskbar being cut off, and while playing games, the status icons which are typically on the edges of the screen being cut off. For PC users - How big of an issue is overscan for you, and have you found any ways around it?

It all depends on your usage model. If you are going to be in WMC all the time like with an HTPC then the overscan is a mild annoyance at worst. I never spend much time at the desktop. For best results let it overscan and set WMC to allow it to overscan as well. That way you get 1 to 1 in content. You will be navigating with a remote.

If you are talking about 3D PC games... yes that can be an issue if the controls for the game are outside in the overscan. 3D and scaling don't work on the Mits DLP because of checkerboard. It makes a mess of the grid and breaks 3D.

But for general HTPC duty the overscan is hardly an issue. JR Media Center allows you to scale inside content playback from the remote. Kind of nice feature.

Just another blank signature.
post #726 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 12:41 PM

Quote:

If you look at the original post that askes the question and click on the NXG highlight, it takes you directly to the version he was asking about and it inlcudes an IR emitter. http://www.amazon.com/NXG-Technology...d_rhf_dp_p_t_2

No the Samsung glasses SSG-3100GB are Blu-tooth glasses and not compatible with the Mitsubishi TVs.

Thanks GEP, this is all new to me the 3d Glasses technology.. So if you get the NXG's you have to get the emitter too? I guess I was hoping the glasses would work with the built in emitter..

Thanks
Pete
post #727 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 12:43 PM

I've been reading through this forum and the 738/838 forum quite a bit. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on either the 73738 or 73740. I can get the 740 for the same price as the 738, I just wanted to see what other people thought. Should I get the new one or last years model? A few people have told me to get the 738 and a few people have told me to get the 740. What is your thoughts?
post #728 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 03:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddjensen View Post

I've been reading through this forum and the 738/838 forum quite a bit. I am thinking about pulling the trigger on either the 73738 or 73740. I can get the 740 for the same price as the 738, I just wanted to see what other people thought. Should I get the new one or last years model? A few people have told me to get the 738 and a few people have told me to get the 740. What is your thoughts?

I ended up with the 740. The differences of the top of my head;
-740 only has one analog input (shared component or composite, not both)
-740 has a built in 3D IR emitter
-I had read many complaints about the 738 having geometry issues. Now I don't know if I got lucky or not, but my 740 looks great. My satellite on-screen guide is as straight as I could ask for. Geometry may or may not be an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

I need some help on blu-ray settings.

How well does the 740 series do with 1080p24? Should I send that from the BDP or should I have it send 1080p60?

Thanks, I'm just confused on this stuff.

Any feedback on this one folks?
post #729 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 03:24 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripsid View Post

Thanks GEP, this is all new to me the 3d Glasses technology.. So if you get the NXG's you have to get the emitter too? I guess I was hoping the glasses would work with the built in emitter..

Thanks
Pete

I know nothing about the NXG's. They may have a website that gives details. http://nxgtechnology.com/nxg_accessories.html If they work on the IR protocol (control language) from the Mitsubsihi Starter kits and/or Samsung internal emitters from 2010 models, then the glasses are not compatible with the Mitsubsihi built-in emitter. Mitsubishi changed IR protocols this year. However the emitter that comes with NXG's can be plugged into the back of the Mitsubishi TV and that would work because the emitter creates the protocol.

If the NXG's are compatible with Panasonic internal emitter, then they would be compatible with the Mitsubishi internal emitter.

The EXPAND models are compatible with both protocols.
post #730 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 03:30 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by girdnerg View Post

I ended up with the 740. The differences of the top of my head;
-740 only has one analog input (shared component or composite, not both)
-740 has a built in 3D IR emitter
-I had read many complaints about the 738 having geometry issues. Now I don't know if I got lucky or not, but my 740 looks great. My satellite on-screen guide is as straight as I could ask for. Geometry may or may not be an issue.

Any feedback on this one folks?

If the guide is stright you have little to no geometry issues.

As for 1080p/24 vs 1080p/60 - the TV displays at 1080p/60. However Blu-ray discs are encoded at 1080p/24. This means the 24 frames per second needs to be converted to 60 frames per second someplace.

The two possible places are in the Blu-ray player or in the TV itself. You can try it both ways and see which one you perfer but I doubt you will see much difference. Both the TV and Blu-ray player most likely have similar conversion capablities.

Note that when sending Blu-ray 3D, you will automatically be sending 24 frames per second and then the TV will be upconverting internally.
post #731 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 08:08 PM

I bought my 73740 when the free 3D glasses offer was on - I filled in both the online and hardcopy forms and sent them off in early Oct but have not heard back other than the initial response to the online registration - anyone had better luck and actually received the free glasses yet?

Thanks

K
post #732 of 3969 Old 11-08-2011, 08:18 PM

I was told today by Paul's TV, that the WD82-840 mainboard is on backorder. ARGHHH
post #733 of 3969 Old 11-09-2011, 02:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbrande View Post

I was told today by Paul's TV, that the WD82-840 mainboard is on backorder. ARGHHH

I called Mitsubishi support rather than the place I purchased my television. They overnighted the part to a service tech who installed the day after it was received.
post #734 of 3969 Old 11-09-2011, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

If the guide is stright you have little to no geometry issues.

As for 1080p/24 vs 1080p/60 - the TV displays at 1080p/60. However Blu-ray discs are encoded at 1080p/24. This means the 24 frames per second needs to be converted to 60 frames per second someplace.

The two possible places are in the Blu-ray player or in the TV itself. You can try it both ways and see which one you perfer but I doubt you will see much difference. Both the TV and Blu-ray player most likely have similar conversion capablities.

Note that when sending Blu-ray 3D, you will automatically be sending 24 frames per second and then the TV will be upconverting internally.

Thanks for the feedback GEP! That's exactly what I was looking for on the 1080p24. I could have sworn that I had read this somewhere but couldn't find it.

As far as the guide and geometry, that's what I was trying to tell him - that I had great geometry with the 740 and I had heard that the 738 had a lot of issues.
post #735 of 3969 Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandhunter View Post

I called Mitsubishi support rather than the place I purchased my television. They overnighted the part to a service tech who installed the day after it was received.

I called Mitsubishi before I had called Paul's so we shall see. I expect a call later today.
post #736 of 3969 Old 11-09-2011, 07:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjjohns22 View Post

I bought my 73740 when the free 3D glasses offer was on - I filled in both the online and hardcopy forms and sent them off in early Oct but have not heard back other than the initial response to the online registration - anyone had better luck and actually received the free glasses yet?

Thanks

K

I am in the same boat as you. I did the form online and mailed the hard copy on 11-8 and got the initial e-mail and nothing else since.
post #737 of 3969 Old 11-09-2011, 01:11 PM

Guys, any suggestions on a stand for the 82"? Preferably something with large (high) shelves so I can fit my Polk CS2 center speaker. Thanks!
post #738 of 3969 Old 11-09-2011, 05:44 PM

Paul's TV called and said that they got the mainboard in from Mitsubishi yesterday, and after a telephone discussion that was very amicable, they are to install the mainboard tomorrow between 10 AM and 2 PM. Quick response from Mitsubishi, and Paul's TV to get this problem resolved. Update tomorrow
post #739 of 3969 Old 11-09-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider209 View Post

I'm possibly in the market to replace my current main TV and saw the mits at my local brandsmart and was impressed. I'm looking for opinions to see if you guys think it's really worth it to get a new TV. First off the existing TV is a 7 year old 61" 720p JVC D-ILA. It's worked good through the years but I did go through some warranty repairs and lamp replacements. It still works good but the PQ isn't not as good as the newer TVs. The main seating area has a viewing distance of about 13 feet. Windows on 1 side with blackout curtains that really darken the room when needed. My main viewing sources are gaming (xbox 360 and PS3) Most tv programming watched is HD network TV played back from windows media center via the xbox or a laptop connected via HDMI. Movies are usually DVDs or DVD/Bluray "rips" If I get a new TV I plan on putting a dedicated HDMI connection from my main computer that's in the same room to use it for windows media center playback, PC gaming, playback of DVD/Bluray rips, etc. Also I would probably start using the Bluray on the PS3 for movies/3d movies but still majority of the viewing content would be the other sources I've mentioned. The unit in question right now is the WD-82740. Any other suggestions on if this is the best TV to get in my situation or hold off or get something else? Any suggestions/opinions would be greatly appreciated!

:::bump:::
No opinions/suggestions anyone?
post #740 of 3969 Old 11-10-2011, 03:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider209 View Post

:::bump:::
No opinions/suggestions anyone?

I think it's up to you, you have to look at your situation and evaluate your needs. I had a 52" Mits that died, so I'm now waiting on the 73740. If you read these threads you'll see the following:
1) Mits has its issues
2) The Mits DLPs when setup right are freaking amazing pictures and matched with the size of the tv unbeatable.
3) You're going to have to replace the bulb eventually in these, but Mits has them for $99 on their website.

IMO, if you have the money and it's not going to take food off of your table.. why not. The technology in the last 6/7 years has improved remarkably.

As I went to Hhgregg to look at the 73" I had them load up a dvd, and granted it was simply not a cablibrated tv.. the picture was stinking amazing! as good or better than the panasonic plasma I was going to pay 2500 for. It's a great picture, size matters... but I don't know you or your situation so i don't want to spend your money.

Good luck hope this helps a bit.
Pete
post #741 of 3969 Old 11-10-2011, 12:18 PM

Well i have my 82840 for 5 days now and am very happy with picture.
Have not set up for 3D because I need to purchase glasses etc.
I am disappointed in the sound does not seem to have 16 speaker range
I have the tv set up on surround but have not done the setup with microphone.
Seems like without doing setup tv is working on 3 or 4 speakers.

Watched the X factor last night and singers seemed to be drowned out by music just did not sound right. TV is in a room with cathedral ceiling. Would a polk subwoofer help my problem? Or do I need a subwoofer and rear speakers. On purchase was hoping 16 speaker tv would eliminate need.
One last question, should I have my directv dvr receiver set up with Dolby on or Doby off?
Thanks!
post #742 of 3969 Old 11-10-2011, 01:35 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

1. Make sure the TV audio is set to SURROUND (the AUDIO button on the remote control). If it is set to stereo, you get less. Use STEREO only on stereo only programs, use SURROUND for surround progams
2. Make sure you Directv box is set to send Dolby Digital on the HDMI cable. If the box is sending only PCM (Dolby off) - that is stereo not surround sound.
3. Yes run the mic or manually setup the sound projector (room size, TV placement and channel levels) via the sound projector menu. You may want to pump up the center channel level. Note: if you use the mic, then you do not use the custom because that cancels the mic.
4. A sub-woofer would help.

If you are using the out of the box settings, there is a very small chance it is proper for your room at out of the box default. Your room's accostics have a huge influnce on all audio systems and the defaults for any system normally do not work.
post #743 of 3969 Old 11-10-2011, 01:55 PM

The technician replaced the main board, so the tv is up and running with update 13.03, not 13.04. The technician did say and show that the HDMI cables are bad. Paul's said they will replace them with an upgraded set at no charge
post #744 of 3969 Old 11-10-2011, 02:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
This may seem like an odd question: I see that it is possible to display a 3D signal in 2D according to the manual, anyone notice a difference in pq when doing this when comparing to a 2D original source?
I ask because if it is the same or better pq with the 3D to 2D then I could just sell/ gift the 2D version to someone.
post #745 of 3969 Old 11-10-2011, 07:38 PM

The TV is repaired with firmware update 13.03
post #746 of 3969 Old 11-11-2011, 07:06 AM

thanks, I will give it a try this weekend.
post #747 of 3969 Old 11-11-2011, 12:19 PM
AVS Special Member

I have an IMac so I'm not sure how to do the firmware upgrade via the USB but my 82740 is hooked up to the Internet so how do I get the latest update?
post #748 of 3969 Old 11-11-2011, 01:24 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

You cannot schedule the update over the internet it is automatic. However if it is anything like the updates last year to add the 3D feature, they do not do all TVs all at once and it can take several weeks to update eveyone. Also it seems to happen after you turn of the TV possibly in the first 30 minutes.
post #749 of 3969 Old 11-11-2011, 04:39 PM

Hi guys, just placed an order for WD82840 from Paul's TV and got a very good deal! I wanted the 92840 originally, but then decided that 10'' extra wasn't worth almost double the price. Very excited! Hope it lives up to my expectations
post #750 of 3969 Old 11-12-2011, 03:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Anyone have any 3D movies in the Vudu app? Mine says none available but online I see lots, what's the deal?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page