Forum Jump: 

Old 11-28-2011, 04:50 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by howyoudoing View Post

Just received my second set of Xpand glasses from the promotion today!

Yeah, I got my second pair today as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 06:01 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I am torn between the sharp 70 and the Mitsubishi WD-82740. I was surprised how good the Mitsibushi looked. I thought DLP was a dead technology. I can get the 82in for $100 less than the Sharp. I will have it in a darkened basement and will do mostly gaming and Blu-ray. Some Lions football, any thoughts????
Old 11-28-2011, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwaidonjin View Post

I was surprised how good the Mitsibushi looked. I thought DLP was a dead technology. ...[snip]... any thoughts????

I wish I had a dollar for everytime I've read those two sentences.

The sharp is 27% smaller with no 3D capability and costs $100 more...

...hmmm. You'll have to make that call.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 11-28-2011, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I am torn between the sharp 70 and the Mitsubishi WD-82740. I was surprised how good the Mitsibushi looked. I thought DLP was a dead technology. I can get the 82in for $100 less than the Sharp. I will have it in a darkened basement and will do mostly gaming and Blu-ray. Some Lions football, any thoughts????

Cant comment about the Sharp - but my 73740 looks amazing in my darkened basement - I just have a backlight behind the set and no other lights on when watching movies.
I don't think the set will make the Lions look any better though...

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Old 11-29-2011, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

I will be glad to share what I have so far. I always like to check-out other peoples' settings on a new TV. From Natural Mode, my current settings are: Contrast 59; Brightness 33; Color 35; Tint 32; Sharpness 42; Video Noise Off; Color Temp. Low. My Perfect Tint settings slightly emphasize the primary colors. They are: Magenta 30 (default); Red 32; Yellow 30; Green 31; Cyan 29; Blue 31. Since individual sets, viewing environments, and preferences vary, these may or may not be just right for anyone else, but I am getting excellent definition with very natural and clear colors, and very realistic skin tones, which to me is the real test. I am reluctant to fool with the advanced settings without calibration equipment, but somebody will be helping me with that next week.

Hey thanks for that. To me the big difference between these 840 models and the others is that with my 82837 it had to be Color Temp High and usually Picture Mode on Bright to get the kinda of clarity I am getting with the newer screen.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
Old 11-29-2011, 04:22 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

Cant comment about the Sharp - but my 73740 looks amazing in my darkened basement - I just have a backlight behind the set and no other lights on when watching movies.
I don't think the set will make the Lions look any better though...

I am lucky as I live alone so I have been able to get my living room into total darkness when watching my 92840 and its an awesome picture.

Mitsubishi WD-92840
Yamaha CX-A5000 + Emotiva XPA-5
Paradigm 100's v5 + CC-690 + Axiom QS8's
HSU VTF-3 MK4 Subwoofer
Oppo BDP-103 + Sony BDP-CX960
http://www.invelos.com/dvdcollection.aspx/Rustolamite
Old 11-29-2011, 07:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone know if the xpand glasses that come with the tv via rebate will work on another 3D tv? Are they programmable like the universal xpands cuz they sure look the same?
Also I have had my 82740 hooked up to the Internet since mid oct with no new firmware, anyone have it on a USB drive that they don't mind letting borrow with the latest firmware on it?
Old 11-29-2011, 08:25 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hi All! Excited new buyer of the 82740 here. It arrives on Friday, and is going in my windowless upstairs media room to be. TV is the first step and receiver / speakers are sure to follow soon. I'm planning on OTA antenna and a networked media server to start.

I haven't had any experience with 3D or DLP before. I plan to get that update as soon as possible. Anything else I should plan on doing? I've seen posts about a 3D glasses promotion, but guess I've missed out on that. Does the set come with even one pair of glasses? What else should a newbie know to get started?

Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 11-29-2011, 08:35 PM

Quote:

I saw the Sharp 735U at hhgreg last Friday and was pretty impressed. The picture looked almost perfect -bright, clear, with vibrant colors. But then they were playing a demo video meant to make it shine (and it did). I ended up buying the Mits 73840 though (since they agreed to price match Amazon). I concur with what others have said. In a sufficiently darkened room with a good, hi-def feed, the imagine is pretty impressive. It would be hard for me to say which is better without seeing them side by side, although I expect the LCD would have a little more "pop". However, going DLP carries a few other considerations:

1. The reliability of these sets seems more iffy, based on what I've read. Many people end up getting extended warranties to cover themselves, just in case. If you go that route, you need to factor that into the cost.

2. The set will need periodic bulb replacements if you want to keep the image looking good. You need to factor that into the cost also.

3. These sets have open cooling vents in the back that, I've read, can allow dust to enter the cabinet and settle on the optics over time. In severe cases that can cause the picture to dim, unless the optics are cleaned. Something to consider, as basements can be dusty places.

4. This is a minor annoyance, but compared to my LCD, my 840 is slower at changing channels. I don't know why that is, but if you like surfing channels like I do, it is a minor bother. It's also slower to turn on.

5. The PQ with my 840 washes out pretty noticeably if room lights (especially the wrong ones) are turned on, or are too bright. If your room is a multi-purpose room, like mine is (with a pool table, etc) keeping it dark may not always be convenient.

6. The off-angle PQ is also not as good as my LCD. Something to consider depending on your seating situation.

It's not my intent to knock the 840, as it does have an awesome picture under the right conditions. But every display type has it drawbacks, and I just wanted to mention the few that I have noticed or am aware of with this set.

Good luck with the decision!
Old 11-29-2011, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtishd View Post

Anyone know if the xpand glasses that come with the tv via rebate will work on another 3D tv? Are they programmable like the universal xpands cuz they sure look the same?
Also I have had my 82740 hooked up to the Internet since mid oct with no new firmware, anyone have it on a USB drive that they don't mind letting borrow with the latest firmware on it?

Yes, the rebate xpands have multiple settings and will work with almost every 3D HDTV requiring shutter glasses.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:48 AM

mthomas47

Thanks for posting your settings, I know everything varies depending on the room and personal preferences, but I like playing around to what others are using to get the best picture possible.
Please keep us posted on your advanced settings setup.
Old 11-30-2011, 09:17 AM
AVS Special Member

With my 73740, using the WOW disc I came up with the following settings that so far look pretty natural:
Using Advanced 1 - Brightness 33, contrast 49, color 35, tint 37, sharpness 31, edge enhance off

The only one I'm not confident on is the sharpness - I have a heck of a time with those patterns.
With the contrast it seemed like no matter how high I turned it I couldn't get the advanced pattern to look right - so I just used the beginner pattern and it came out fine.

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
Old 11-30-2011, 10:14 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
You do not need someone to send you a USB thumb drive with the software, you can download it yourself directly from Mitsubishi.

http://support.mitsubishi-tv.com/documents/WD-82740

If your USB thumb drive does not work, try another brand.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...57&lid=1675170

Got this deal emailed to me today and it caught my eye...

$929 (with free shipping) for a Mitsubishi WD-73C11. I was trying to figure out how this model compares to the WD-73640 and WD-73740 (which I already have), but it isn't terribly clear on the Mits web site. I thought that the C-series was a Canadian model all this time, but I don't know!
Old 11-30-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/p...57&lid=1675170

Got this deal emailed to me today and it caught my eye...

$929 (with free shipping) for a Mitsubishi WD-73C11. I was trying to figure out how this model compares to the WD-73640 and WD-73740 (which I already have), but it isn't terribly clear on the Mits web site. I thought that the C-series was a Canadian model all this time, but I don't know!

You can compare TVs at http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/WD73740. Just click on the "compare" tab at the bottom of the page and follow instructions.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 11-30-2011, 03:33 PM

Has anyone put the 92" beast on a Salamander Synergy stand? Wondering if the overhang with the depth is an issue.
Old 11-30-2011, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Nacht View Post

Has anyone put the 92" beast on a Salamander Synergy stand? Wondering if the overhang with the depth is an issue.

I don't think the slight difference between the stand depth and the base of the TV would be a problem. I had a 25" deep stand built and then backed the TV up so that the base overhangs about 1/2" in back in order to make room for my center channel speaker on the stand in front of the TV. I assume you are looking at the 12" version, and I think it comes in black, but it seems very expensive. I had someone local build me a stand to my specifications--I went with a 14" height and adjustable shelves--in black lacquer for $350. I am very pleased with it. I saw that several other people on the 92" thread have done the same thing in a similar price range. I don't think you would have trouble getting something sturdy, and just the way you want it, for a lot less than the Synergy.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

You can compare TVs at http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/WD73740. Just click on the "compare" tab at the bottom of the page and follow instructions.

I did try that earlier, but tried again just now. It looks to me that the description matches that of the 73640 model, but it weighs just a bit less (.5 lbs). Not sure why I missed this earlier.

So is this the Canadian market version then?

Probably not the greatest deal - but I thought I would share anyway.
Old 11-30-2011, 06:12 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Mitsubishi generally does not sell TVs in Canada. There is the Canadian Mitsubishi web site: http://www.mitsubishielectric.ca/
Old 11-30-2011, 07:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

I did try that earlier, but tried again just now. It looks to me that the description matches that of the 73640 model, but it weighs just a bit less (.5 lbs). Not sure why I missed this earlier.

So is this the Canadian market version then?

Probably not the greatest deal - but I thought I would share anyway.

No, it's not a Canadian model. It's a good deal if that's the feature level you're looking for. My ex just ordered one this week.

Old 12-01-2011, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Can anyone tell me if the price difference between the 82840 and 82740 can be justified based on picture quality?
Brightness/
Clarity?
SSE? Is there a signifigant difference in the reflectivity of the screens which could override the benefits of the :improved" screen?
Thanks, Rick
Old 12-01-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

I assume you are looking at the 12" version, and I think it comes in black, but it seems very expensive.

I don't mind the expense, but I'd actually like something even shorter. How does one find one these fine craftsman?
Old 12-01-2011, 01:22 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 28
I got a great deal on Cyber Monday at Paul's via Amazon for the 82740 and couldn't resist even though I have a working 73833 but this one cost about half of what I paid in 2007 for the 73833. After taking a couple of days and looking or skimming all of the posts, there have been several recommendations on 3D glasses for the XXX40 series DLP's.

Anyone know the difference between these two:

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-3DG...=1OR7X3QN804SX

and

Are they the same? The only difference I could tell was that one had the dash (3DG-X103) and the other had the word "XPAND" in the description.

lujan
718 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
6 DVD
Old 12-01-2011, 01:59 PM

installed the new n router by itself and have no connection issues. Other than it would be great if we could get a google search app or web browser fom a Misubishi upgrade. Even with an LG blueray wifi player attached, all the free apps are pretty much worthless. On the LG you tube app the search is pretty laborious.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:39 PM
AVS Special Member

I'm sure this has been discussed in the thread already, but will any other USB wireless adapters work with the 740, or do I have to buy the one from Mitsubishi? Is it worth spending the money if I have to buy the Mitsubishi one?

-Aaron
Old 12-01-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I got a great deal on Cyber Monday at Paul's via Amazon for the 82740 and couldn't resist even though I have a working 73833 but this one cost about half of what I paid in 2007 for the 73833. After taking a couple of days and looking or skimming all of the posts, there have been several recommendations on 3D glasses for the XXX40 series DLP's.

Anyone know the difference between these two:

and

Are they the same? The only difference I could tell was that one had the dash (3DG-X103) and the other had the word "XPAND" in the description.

FYI. - Xpand will soon be releasing the X104, which has a rechargeable battery. The X103 doesn't. Not sure how prices will compare though.
Old 12-01-2011, 02:53 PM

don't know about the adaptor issue , I wasted 70 dollars on the Mitsubishi adaptor.
really not much there in the way of internet on MIT TV. You can pick up a 130.00 3d blueray player that has all same aps and some more. Overall now that I've purchased the 82840 , I've come to find ot that most of these smart TV's are really not that smart.
Nice man cave by the way.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GerardK19 View Post

don't know about the adaptor issue , I wasted 70 dollars on the Mitsubishi adaptor.
really not much there in the way of internet on MIT TV. You can pick up a 130.00 3d blueray player that has all same aps and some more. Overall now that I've purchased the 82840 , I've come to find ot that most of these smart TV's are really not that smart.
Nice man cave by the way.

Thanks

I was noticing that it didn't look like there was much benefit to having internet connectivity... my ApplyTV 2, PS3, and BluRay player all do internet apps - so I think I'll save my money. I was kind of hoping that a generic one would work since you can get those for $7-15 on Monoprice.com...
I have a "bridge" router in the same room as the TV, so I may do a "wired" connection to it temporarily to make sure I have the latest firmware though...

-Aaron
Old 12-01-2011, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viktor Nacht View Post

I don't mind the expense, but I'd actually like something even shorter. How does one find one these fine craftsman?

My local AV dealer recommended someone they use to make custom stands. Anyone who is a good woodworker, or of course a cabinet maker, should be able to make one for you. If price is less important, a cabinet maker would be a good way to go as they could also help you design the stand. Otherwise, you might even have a friend who could do one to your design. And the paint is just Sherwin Williams black lacquer. My own woodworking skills are non-existent, so in a pinch, I might just ask around: AV store, Lowe's, hardware store, etc. until I found someone I liked. I went with adjustable shelves to handle my current components and to give me some flexibility in the future, but as you get down under 12-14" you are probably looking at a single shelf.
Old 12-01-2011, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stebrock View Post

Can anyone tell me if the price difference between the 82840 and 82740 can be justified based on picture quality?
Brightness/
Clarity?
SSE? Is there a signifigant difference in the reflectivity of the screens which could override the benefits of the :improved" screen?
Thanks, Rick

I am a fan of these Mits DLPS, so I think you probably wouldn't go wrong with either one, but if I could afford the price difference, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the 82840 just for the Clear Contrast screen. I think there is a definite difference in brightness, sharpness, and overall clarity. There is a fairly significant difference in reflectivity, but for me, it does not override the benefits. All of the DLPs perform best in a reasonably light-controlled environment. With the Clear Contrast screen, you aren't going to like having a light source (such as a lamp) directly in line with the screen. Above, behind, or off to one side of the screen may be fine, but I find lamps, for instance, annoying if they reflect directly in the enhanced screen, particularly during dark scenes. That is no problem at all for me, I can move or turn off a lamp if I need to--a tradeoff I will gladly make for a better picture. There are three threads on this forum discussing these new screens: this one, the 92" thread, and the Laservue thread, and I cannot recall any buyer's remorse from anyone who has gotten one of these more reflective screens. I hope this helps.

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv