2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series) - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 3Likes

post #61 of 3982 Old 07-21-2011, 11:26 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Any idea when the 840 series is going to begin shipping?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 3982 Old 07-23-2011, 03:34 PM

Well I just got this new Mitsubishi 73 WD-73640; I guess this the new 2012 models as I was told? First off this is the first time I have ever bought a DLP TV. Let me say that this thing is a cool TV; the picture is awesome crystal clear if you are watching a HD channel. I use this in my living room for regular TV, blue ray movies, and to play my PS3. I have not tired the 3D yet, but can't wait to see how that looks like. The TV is easy to set up, has a lot of options for the video part of it but I am debating to get this calibrated by a pro, let's see what you guys recommend. The one thing that kind of bugs me is that the games don't look so clear like the regular TV and the blue ray movies, don't get me wrong they look good, but on my old TV which was a Sony 55 Bravia they really looked bad ass. To be honest the games looked better then watching regular TV. I am still messing with it and we will see what happens, if anyone can recommend some settings I would appreciate it a lot, if you guys have any questions about it shoot me an email and I will try to answer it the best way I can, thanks everyone.
P.S I'm new to these forums ok.
post #63 of 3982 Old 07-24-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I have a few questions reguarding 3D:
1. If I am watching a 2D bluray and later put in a 3D bluray do I need to do anything or will the tv know that its a 3D movie and be 3D?
2. Can I have a setting on the same input (say HDMI 1) for both 2D and then one for 3D? Will it switch automatically to between settings based on if its a 2d or 3d signal?
post #64 of 3982 Old 07-24-2011, 12:43 PM

To be honest I really do not know, since I have not tried the 3D on this TV yet??? If I were you I would call the Mitsubishi and ask them, but I think the tv would pick it up if it was a 3D disk??? Sorry I was no help?
post #65 of 3982 Old 07-24-2011, 05:53 PM

Just got my 73-740 and am definitely impressed. Im a dlp noob so there is a bit of an adjustment period for me since Im coming from 50" and a 58" samsung plasmas. Heres what ive noticed so far coming from a noob perspective.

Ive noticed the tv takes about 10 seconds to brighten up fully when first turned on. Not a big deal but this made me second guess the purchase initially once i first turned it on. Now that i know this is normal, its not a problem.

The default image setting was not for me. I switched to the 'brilliant' setting and the colors and image were great. There are a ton of advanced settings which are way above my head and maybe some day ill have it pro callibrated but for me, the picture is great.

3d is impressive as well although im still working toward finding the right glasses. Im using the true depth 3d dlp link glasses and because i cant get the room dark enough at times, they are going out of synch here and there until its completely sun down. Already talked to the makers of the glasses and they confirmed that the glasses are sensitive to certain lighting conditions. They are awesome when in synch though. Great quality so maybe ill figure out some workaround. Im going to try a pair of ir glasses and see how they are.

The sound kicks the hell out of the plasmas i have. I dont need a sound system for this bad boy and am perfectly happy with the tv speakers on this.

The value here is unreal. A 73 inch 3d tv for 1600 is incredible. No way was i overpaying for a plasma or led 3d when the dlp technology gives you the best bag for your buck. Im sure theres still a ton i need to learn but i have no complaints so far.

Terribly formatted quick review i know but wanted to communicate my thoughts so far.
post #66 of 3982 Old 07-24-2011, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdunn2010 View Post
Just got my 73-740 and am definitely impressed. Im a dlp noob so there is a bit of an adjustment period for me since Im coming from 50" and a 58" samsung plasmas. Heres what ive noticed so far coming from a noob perspective.

Ive noticed the tv takes about 10 seconds to brighten up fully when first turned on. Not a big deal but this made me second guess the purchase initially once i first turned it on. Now that i know this is normal, its not a problem.

The default image setting was not for me. I switched to the 'brilliant' setting and the colors and image were great. There are a ton of advanced settings which are way above my head and maybe some day ill have it pro callibrated but for me, the picture is great.

3d is impressive as well although im still working toward finding the right
glasses. Im using the true depth 3d dlp link glasses and because i cant get the room dark enough at times, they are going out of synch here and there until its completely sun down. Already talked to the makers of the glasses and they confirmed that the glasses are sensitive to certain lighting conditions. They are awesome when in synch though. Great quality so maybe ill figure out some workaround. Im going to try a pair of ir glasses and see how they are.

The sound kicks the hell out of the plasmas i have. I dont need a sound
system for this bad boy and am perfectly happy with the tv speakers on this.

The value here is unreal. A 73 inch 3d tv for 1600 is incredible. No way was i overpaying for a plasma or led 3d when the dlp technology gives you the best bag for your buck. Im sure theres still a ton i need to learn but i have no complaints so far.

Terribly formatted quick review i know but wanted to communicate my thoughts so far.
Pics
post #67 of 3982 Old 07-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 34
yes picss

XBOX >cata1:mothballed; PS3+4  =  CHiNGOBLiNG   = RUBEN...
YOU NEED TO OPEN YOUR EYES TO SEE THE PICTURE!!

itty bitty MAN CAVE:http://www.avsforum.com/lists/display/view/id/32536

has now become>>.. "SHOE MAKER HOME THEATER"..click..>http://www.avsforum.com/g/a/2341067/the-shoemaker-...

post #68 of 3982 Old 07-25-2011, 08:57 AM

I have been offered a WD-73740 for $500 plus shipping from Mits as a replacement for my WD-73727. I purchased my '727 about 6 years ago and had the optic block/light engine replaced under warranty about 3 years ago. The optic block is failing again. Although the TV is out of warranty, Mits is offering me the deal on a new '740 rather than offering any compensation regarding the ~$800 repair bill on the '727.

My question for folks here is whether the WD-73740 is actually a worthwhile TV that is a "deal" for $500 plus shipping. I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to need to buy a slightly smaller LED-backlit LCD for a couple grand, but at least I'd be free of the persistent problems of my '727. Now I'm thinking of staying in the Mits family with the '740. Thanks for any thoughts.
post #69 of 3982 Old 07-25-2011, 09:05 AM

Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucket22 View Post

I have been offered a WD-73740 for $500 plus shipping from Mits as a replacement for my WD-73727. I purchased my '727 about 6 years ago and had the optic block/light engine replaced under warranty about 3 years ago. The optic block is failing again. Although the TV is out of warranty, Mits is offering me the deal on a new '740 rather than offering any compensation regarding the ~$800 repair bill on the '727.

My question for folks here is whether the WD-73740 is actually a worthwhile TV that is a "deal" for $500 plus shipping. I had resigned myself to the fact that I was going to need to buy a slightly smaller LED-backlit LCD for a couple grand, but at least I'd be free of the persistent problems of my '727. Now I'm thinking of staying in the Mits family with the '740. Thanks for any thoughts.

This is a fair deal. Please go for it. You can even go for a bigger screen, if you want to negotiate. You do not have to get a 73 inch model.

I am doing something similar.
My 82837 needs to be replaced. I decided to go higher for the 92840.
I have not been quoted a price difference yet.
Mitsubishi called to tell me it will be by August before I hear from them.
Ekpen.
post #70 of 3982 Old 07-25-2011, 09:08 AM

Hey man just I just got the WD-73640 set and it is a really beautiful tv set. I got it about 2 weeks ago and have had no issues with it at all. The only thing is that I am debating on getting it calibrated by a pro, I asked on here to see if any one has any settings but have not gotten a answer. The set that you might be getting is the same as mine the only diffrence is that it has wi-fi and better speakers, and a few more out puts, do your reserch but for $500.00 dollers, I would jump on that for sure!!! Its a great set you will like it, see if you can find a dealer near you to go look at it, bestbuy dont carry them any more, from what they told me is that they have to many issues, but my brother in law works for them and he says " the only reason thet dont carry them any more is because they want you to forlk over the cash for a lcd,led, or plasma $$$$$$. Well I hope you get your new set and let me know how it is man, good luck.
post #71 of 3982 Old 07-25-2011, 11:38 AM

Can we add the 640 series in the thread title? I'm interested in purchasing one of these TVs, leaning toward the 640 series at the moment. I did a break down of the specs from the Mitsubishi specsheet pdf files.

Video Performance 640 740 840
3D TV* X X X
2D + Depth X X X
Internal 3D Glasses IR Emitter X X
DLP Link 3D Glasses Compatible X X X
External 3D Glasses Emitter Jack X X X
Mitsubishi Exclusive 6 Color Processor X X X
Plush 1080p Video Processing & Format Conversion X X X
HDMI Deep Color (36-Bit) X X X
PerfectColor & PerfecTint X
Clear Contrast Screen 82˝ Model X
Video Noise Reduction X X X
Picture Format Modes (4:3 sources) 6 X X X
Picture Format Modes (16:9 sources) 3 X X X
Audio Performance
Internal loudspeakers 2 X X
Internal loudspeakers 16 X
2-Channel Surround Sound X X
Surround Sound Processor Dolby Digital 5.1 X
Output power (watts/ch) 10w x 2 X X
Output power (watts/ch) 2w x 16 X
Center Channel Mode X
Rear Channel Output X
Level Sound (dynamics limiter) X X X
Digital Output (PCM) for All Analog Sources X X X
User Controls
Easy Connect X X X
Surround Sound Setup automatic X
A/V Adjustment (Memorized By Input) X X X
Advanced Video Calibration 2 X X
Advanced Video Calibration ISF®ccc X
3D Video Adjustment Memory 1 X X X
HDMI CE Control X X X
Video Modes: Brilliant/Bright/Natural/Game X X X
iPhone/iPad/iTouch Remote Control App Available X X
Optical System
Display Type DLP X X X
HDTV Resolution 1080p X X X
120Hz Sub-Frame Rate X X X
Lamp Modes 156/180 watt X X X
Tuning
Tuner Analog/Digital/Cable (in the clear) 1 X X X
Antenna (RF) Inputs 1 X X X
Media Connectivity
Stream TV Internet Media VUDU Apps X X
Wireless Connectivity 802.11n Optional Adapter X X
Bluetooth® A2DP Audio Streaming X
Ethernet Port X X
USB Ports (Wireless Adapter/Accessory Power) 1/2 (740/840) X X
Inputs
Component/Composite Combined Video Inputs 1 X X X
Center Channel Input X
HDMI Inputs 3/4 (640,740/840) X X X
480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i (60Hz) X X X
1080p (24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz) X X X
Outputs
Surround Stereo Audio Output X
Variable Subwoofer Output X
3D Glasses Emitter (VESA) X X X
Digital Coaxial Audio Output (Dolby® Digital /PCM) X X X
HDMI Digital PC Compatibility
640 x 480, 800 x 600, 1024 x 768, 1280 x 720, 1365 X 768 @ 60Hz X X X
1920 x 1080 @ 24Hz, 30Hz, 60Hz X X X
Remote
TV Only X
Full TV with Internet X X
Customization Features
Direct IR Input Selection X X X
Direct IR Format Selection X X X
Independent IR Power ON / OFF X X X
Wired IR Input X

640_series_documents
740_series_documents
840_series_documents

PSN - Creamstout
WoW - Brangus (US Server Bloodscalp)
post #72 of 3982 Old 07-25-2011, 01:12 PM

wow nice job man!
post #73 of 3982 Old 07-25-2011, 01:25 PM

Hello everyone.........
Cool chart Osoris. I've been looking to get a 3D HDTV here real soon, and we've been looking at all kind of 3D HDTV Models lately. I'm very close to pulling to trigger on one of these 73" 740 Mitsubishi's DLPs. Just a little more research, and it's going down like Charlie Brown trying to kick a football from Lucy. Can't wait............

I've got a couple questions about the internal IR emitter on the 740's.
*Does having the internal IR emitter on the 740 make it where you never need to plug a IR emitter in the back of TV?
*Does this work like the built in DLP Link?

Plus, I was thinking about getting the MonsterVision 3D glasses one day, and was wondering if the Monster IR conversion to RF signal would read the built in IR emitter on the 740. Suppose this internal IR emitter makes it where one doesn't have to ever buy a IR emitter to plug in the back. Am I thinking correctly here ? Confusing stuff when you haven't done it yet, that's for sure........LOL

Thanks
post #74 of 3982 Old 07-25-2011, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

So, it looks like Mitsubishi has given up on the iris. I don't see any mention of dark detailer in any of the 2011 models. I suppose that's a good thing, as it seemed that many who had it wished they could turn it off, due to the pumping effect.

My dual Rythmik Servo sub project (actually quad now, need to update page)
HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #75 of 3982 Old 07-25-2011, 02:19 PM
rsk

We have 4 or 5 owners so far in the thread, but no pics. Anyone want to be brave and post some pics?

Also checked Amazon again today, Walts has the set for $2099 now, which is a bit higher than the $1600 some of you paid but still a heck of a deal for a nice 73" TV it seems.

I'm still running the original launch-model WD-65831 from 2006 and still happy with it. I never expected to be happy with it so long to be honest, but it was just a really solid TV for my viewing habits (1-2hrs, 4 days a week).

I've heard such good things about the 3D in the 838 series, I more or less expect to find the 840 series "great" in this regard.

I'm mostly curious about the light engine and what (if anything) has changed in it. The wattage on the new bulbs look identical to what we saw for the last 5 years in the previous models: 180watt.

Curious how the light output on the bigger screens look; I prefer a really *bright* picture and was never blown away with the brightness of the 831 series and beyond; hoping a new screen design may improve that and also curious how the 92 can even use anything under a 250watt bulb... we'll see I suppose.

Glad to see Mits focusing on big-screen solutions instead of dropping out of the game totally; they have some good tech in there.

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #76 of 3982 Old 07-26-2011, 06:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quick question,

Do the 2011 Mits DLP's still use a color wheel?

Ben Music
post #77 of 3982 Old 07-26-2011, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Yes.

HDM format neutral thanks to the pricing wars of the '07 xmas shopping season :)
post #78 of 3982 Old 07-27-2011, 08:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
So looking at using this for a friend install, I currently have a mits HC4000 projector that I love, was wondering what TI chip they are using and what speed is the color wheel, e.g, DC2+ or DC3, 6segment 4x wheel....probably will try to but mits at lunch to find out also...

War Eagle!!!
post #79 of 3982 Old 07-27-2011, 03:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Music View Post

Quick question,

Do the 2011 Mits DLP's still use a color wheel?

Ben Music

The LaserVue model doesn't use a color wheel. http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/product/L75A94

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #80 of 3982 Old 07-27-2011, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

The LaserVue model doesn't use a color wheel.

Yes, that's a good point. Though all the models this thread covers do.

post #81 of 3982 Old 07-27-2011, 04:47 PM

Ok i have seen requests for pics so ill be the brave soul to take some this weekend although i have no idea what kind of pics you guys are looking for.

On a side note, does anyone notice an antiglare effect on any of their dlps? On my 73740 ,you can notice this during scenes with lots of white colors where you can almost see an assortment of colors that almost look like a grainy effect? Im making it seem like its a major defect but i know its not as i can tell its perfectly uniform across the entire screen. Anyone have any idea what im talking about? Its like its coming from the antiglare coating and i dont know how else to descrbe it. I guess you could equate it to an antiglare screen cover for your phone and the effect that it has.

Thoughts? I really have to pay attention to notice it and its not a deal breaker for me but figured id check with the pros here just in case this isnt normal...
post #82 of 3982 Old 07-27-2011, 04:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djdunn2010 View Post

On my 73740 ,you can notice this during scenes with lots of white colors where you can almost see an assortment of colors that almost look like a grainy effect? Anyone have any idea what im talking about?

It's called Silk Screen Effect. It's fairly common on rear projection DLPs.

post #83 of 3982 Old 07-27-2011, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darin View Post

It's called Silk Screen Effect. It's fairly common on rear projection DLPs.

Many thanks for clarifying this.
post #84 of 3982 Old 07-27-2011, 06:54 PM

Liked: 11
Any idea if the 82" 840 will have the same glare/reflection issues that folks are reporting on the 92"? My family room has a lot of windows...has not been an issue with the Sammy 67" LCD DLP.
post #85 of 3982 Old 07-27-2011, 08:46 PM
rsk

STR3T, I'm also curious about sheer light-output from the 82 and 92" models; if it is enough to overcome a bright room.

Back when the 831 came out, the smaller models were brighter and the 72 was a bit dimmer because they all shared the same light engine (at least that was the consensus at the time in the owners thread and my one viewing in person of a 72)

Now with the sets bumping up another notch, it's really appealing, but not at the cost of a dim picture in my opinion (I'm a bright-picture type).

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
post #86 of 3982 Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 AM

Hey peeps I'm a DLP noob. But from what I can tell on my new WD-73640 model even in a well lit room, I have no issues with glare or video output. With my old 2 yr Sony Bravia I did have issues with windows open and such. Yesterday I opened all the shades in my house right around 4pm PST, Thats when I get the most sun hitting my house, and no issues???? I dont know if the set has some special settings but every thing I have missed with is pretty standard, I am waiting to get the WOW disk from disney to calibrate my set. You can get all the specs sheets off the MITSU website might give you more info on it. I am very impressed by this DLP TV, every thing looks so much clear and comes alive with great color, even the video games that I play on it look better on here then my old Sony Bravia, which is funny cause I only play PS3 Games. Hope this helps?
post #87 of 3982 Old 07-28-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 646
post #88 of 3982 Old 07-28-2011, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Should be within 30 days

Sweet! Starting when?

Edit: wow - only my second post and I've been here 8.5 years. That's... embarrassing.
post #89 of 3982 Old 07-29-2011, 10:17 AM

Just ordered a WD-73740 - woot!

A is A
post #90 of 3982 Old 07-29-2011, 04:03 PM
rsk

Congrats Jordanz, keep us posted when it arrives!

Best, Riyad
The Buzz Media
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page