Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 3975 Old 01-10-2012, 09:48 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post

It could simply be compression on some of your HD channels. I don't know about satellite, but Comcast compresses HD channels, especially the less popular ones. FiOS doesn't, and I noticed a difference when we switched a few years ago.

Fios doesn't think again hook the antenna up and get an ota and see the difference. Its not that noticeable on network football but I've seen bad compression on AMC and others.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 3975 Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger41 View Post

I suspect this is the problem. I have the 73740 and DishNet. All the HD channels are fine and the few SD channels I watch are OK. I do run the DishNet HDMI output through my Pioneer Elite receiver's scaler before going to the Mits. So I don't know what picture quality I would have going directly from the DishNet receiver to the TV. But, I believe the Pioneer's scaler does not alter the 1080I output from DishNet. I can confirm that the Mits has very nice picture quality when fed a signal from a properly functioning DishNet receiver.

I will def find out tonight when I get home. If bluray looks so good then you know the Mits is capable of outputting a good picture. 1080p verses 1080i should only be a subtle difference and not look like an SD channel. So it's got to be my Dish equipment or HDMI cable. LOL!!
post #1263 of 3975 Old 01-10-2012, 04:42 PM

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate the help. It turns out that it is the receiver, I swapped it out with one from the other room and the HD channels were good to go. It was like night and day. Now to get this taken care of so I can enjoy my new big screen!!
post #1264 of 3975 Old 01-10-2012, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redonly View Post

Thanks for all the feedback, I really appreciate the help. It turns out that it is the receiver, I swapped it out with one from the other room and the HD channels were good to go. It was like night and day. Now to get this taken care of so I can enjoy my new big screen!!

What type of TV did you have hooked up to that receiver before? Just thinking maybe it was setup for SD output?
post #1265 of 3975 Old 01-10-2012, 06:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max58 View Post

What type of TV did you have hooked up to that receiver before? Just thinking maybe it was setup for SD output?

Did some upgrading so this receiver was new and was the first time it was used. Sold my old tv which was a Samsung HLP-5685W DLP 720P. The receiver it was hooked up to is in spare bedroom. The new receiver looked pretty good when I got home but went ahead and swapped it out for the one in the den. After I got a descent picture I put it back in the den and reconnected the new one to the MITS. Got a horrible picture again, so I unplugged for 10 secs, turned it on, and got OK picture. Go figure!! Definitely need to get it replaced.
post #1266 of 3975 Old 01-10-2012, 07:41 PM

I got my Sanus PFV60 put together this evening. 18" to the top of the stand without the feet installed. I did cut another 1.5" hole in the center and installed a computer grommet for my center speaker cables. Moving over my components now and will be setting the TV tomorrow when help is available.
post #1267 of 3975 Old 01-10-2012, 09:50 PM

Liked: 12
Does anyone have the input lag measurement on these TVs with the CRT monitor method or the guitar hero/rock band method?

thanks
post #1268 of 3975 Old 01-11-2012, 12:33 AM

Just noticed that "no price talk" stuff linked above, my question...why dont DLP buyers have a sticky for prices, discounts etc...?

Looking for a mature gaming forum? Come check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1269 of 3975 Old 01-11-2012, 12:26 PM

Finally, got around to hooking up my HD antenna to see the difference in picture. There is quite a difference.

I didn't realize that nobody broadcasts in 1080p. The best looking channel, by far, is CBS in 1080i.

Going to have to find a way to incorporate my antenna with my satellite box.

My guess is that HD channels from DirecTV don't look as good as straight over the air antenna's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee L. Peabody View Post

Thank you, Invarcade... I happen to own a very nice HD indoor antenna that I bought to use with my old 57" but never really used it much. I've been meaning to screw it in and see the difference. That is why I was disappointed I didn't have two antenna inputs on this set. I'll get it all set up for this Saturday's NFL games.

Also, I'm still seeing flashes (strobe effect) on ALL basketball games...even ESPN basketball promos. So strange.

I did have a question about the importance of surge protectors and DLP televisions. I was told by a TV sales guy, who ironically was not trying to sell me a surge protector, that the number one thing you could do to prolong your DLP's life was a high quality surge protector. Sound advice?

post #1270 of 3975 Old 01-11-2012, 01:24 PM

I have been reading through this thread over the past several days. Quite informative as I have been trying to decide what to get to replace my 2002 WD65809. When I came here I was thinking of just the 73640 but gradually decided that I could easily use the 82 inch model so then began to consider whether to go with the 82740 or the 82840. Still debating that issue with myself, but I am also looking at stands and Mitsubishi only offers one for the 73 inch, not the 82 inch.

The two that I am considering are the Techcraft BCE72 and the Pinnacle TV382. I am aware of the various comments from people here about shorter is better. Nevertheless, I wonder how happy (or not) people are who actually use one of these two stands??

Thanks for any info you can give.
post #1271 of 3975 Old 01-11-2012, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineiac13 View Post

but I am also looking at stands and Mitsubishi only offers one for the 73 inch, not the 82 inch.

The two that I am considering are the Techcraft BCE72 and the Pinnacle TV382. I am aware of the various comments from people here about shorter is better. Nevertheless, I wonder how happy (or not) people are who actually use one of these two stands??

Thanks for any info you can give.

Here's what I did... I was really turned off by the prices of the stands I was looking at online for my 82-740. I jumped on craigslist and found a 70" wide stand that is just about perfect for my setup. I'm sure I'd have paid upwards of 4-500 for this one if I'd bought it new. I got it in excellent used condition for 125. I drove 68 miles from home to get it, but now that I have it, I highly recommend that route if cost is an issue. Just make sure the shelving works with your components. My receiver is just a tad to tall to fit in the shelves below but it doesn't look too out of place sitting on the floor pushed up against the stand.
post #1272 of 3975 Old 01-11-2012, 03:43 PM

Quote:

Here's what I did... I was really turned off by the prices of the stands I was looking at online for my 82-740. I jumped on craigslist and found a 70" wide stand that is just about perfect for my setup. I'm sure I'd have paid upwards of 4-500 for this one if I'd bought it new. I got it in excellent used condition for 125. I drove 68 miles from home to get it, but now that I have it, I highly recommend that route if cost is an issue. Just make sure the shelving works with your components. My receiver is just a tad to tall to fit in the shelves below but it doesn't look too out of place sitting on the floor pushed up against the stand.

Thanks...Certainly worth looking there (and at Uncle Henry's)...though the ones that I am talking about are not too expensive anyway.
post #1273 of 3975 Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM

Here are some photos of my setup. I'm pretty happy with where my system is now. As I detailed earlier in this thread, I angled my 82740 forward slightly using shims that I glued together. It's just enough to tilt it slightly, making the viewing angle from my 23" tall stand perfect. In fact, with my reclining sofa, it's actually better than a shorter stand (with the tv sitting flat) would be. I like to watch with the seat reclined, which places my head at an angle looking slightly up. With my current setup, I'm looking directly at the screen when reclined. If I used a shorter stand, I would have to tuck my chin to my chest in order to be looking directly at the screen. And my feet would be in the way. Works great for me. See the photos for details.

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj637/shadowjack1/

My home theatre

Denon AVR-4311ci a/v receiver
(3) Outlaw 2200 monoblock amps (for front soundstage)
Oppo BDP-93 blu-ray player
Directv HR24 satellite receiver
Toshiba HD-A35 hd-dvd player
Microsoft XBOX 360
Microsoft Kinect
Sony Playstation 3
Sony Playstation Move
Nintendo Wii
Apple TV
Logitech Harmony 880 universal remote
Mitsubishi WD-82740 DLP 3D television
Cinemaquest Idealume bias lighting
Furnitech equipment stand
La-z-boy reclining sectional sofa
Definitive Technology BP-8080ST front l/r
Definitive Technology CS-8080HD center
(4) Definitive Technology SR-8080BP surrounds
(2) Definitive Technology SuperCube Trinity subwoofers
post #1274 of 3975 Old 01-11-2012, 09:02 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

My guess is that HD channels from DirecTV don't look as good as straight over the air antenna's.

They never will, as is the same for most providers. Directv gets the same signal we all get with an antenna, and then has to re-encode it to mpeg4, thus losing some PQ.

The only way it would look just as good or better is:

Receive the MPEG2 stream and simply pass it through, which some cable systems do (thus first changing the container from ATSC to QAM)

Get a straight ASI output from the station, and then encode that to MPEG4 (thus possibly getting even better PQ).

Currently testing 3D with Sammy DLP, shutter glasses, and HTPC
post #1275 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 04:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineiac13 View Post

When I came here I was thinking of just the 73640 but gradually decided that I could easily use the 82 inch model so then began to consider whether to go with the 82740 or the 82840.

I was in the same dilema but went with the 82840...Couldn't be happier and no regrets.
post #1276 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadow Jack View Post

... As I detailed earlier in this thread, I angled my 82740 forward slightly using shims that I glued together. ...

http://s1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj637/shadowjack1/

Can you provide pictures of these "shims that I glued together"?

lujan
671 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #1277 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 06:59 AM

Hey, everyone. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with the 73740 I had delivered last week. Especially when viewed from the side at night, it seems to be have distinctly lighter regions of the screen, the largest of which starts in the upper left and tapers to a point near the bottom/front of the screen. The screen also seems kind of loose in the cabine/frame and I'm wondering if its sagging slightly where the pointellized artifact appears. The non-uniformity is still visible when sitting across from the set normally, but is harder to perceive (especially with a moving image on the screen.)

What is this? Do I need to wait for burn in, or should I try to get the set replaced/serviced immediately?

I bought it from East Coast TV, and paid for white glove deliver/setup, as well as an extended onsite service contract, but the delivery was mixed up and the company that brought it refused to set it up (they almost refused to unpack it.) So I'm a little disconcerted, but I don't want to jump the gun--as a new DLP owner, I'm not sure what is normal and how to go about getting it straightened out--the retailer, or the manufacturer?
post #1278 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

Can you provide pictures of these "shims that I glued together"?

I don't have photos but here's a quick sketch. I used black composite shims from Home Depot. I think they were 6 or 7 inches long. As you'll see in the sketch, I placed the stack of glued shims in line with a single shim, leaving a small gap. This created one continuous straight angled line.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/...10-02-31AM.jpg

I used velcro to attach the shims to the stand. I then put a strip of that dashboard cellphone gripper pad stuff on each shim to prevent any sliding. And I simply used duct tape in the rear to secure the tv to the stand to prevent tipping forward. Looks great, won't slide and won't tip. And I believe it's a gentle enough angle (1.5" at the rear) to prevent any kind of issues with the internal electronics or screen. Heck, the foundation of many houses can fluctuate by that much.

The result of this, at my viewing distance of 11.5 feet, lowered the center point viewing of the screen by about a foot. (I measured before and after using a laser pointer.) I now have a perfect view when reclined and my propped up feet never get in the way.

I am decidedly UN-handy when it comes to things like this, but this project really was quite simple and it made an enormous difference. Good luck.
post #1279 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by innatetech View Post

I bought it from East Coast TV, and paid for white glove deliver/setup, as well as an extended onsite service contract, but the delivery was mixed up and the company that brought it refused to set it up (they almost refused to unpack it.) So I'm a little disconcerted, but I don't want to jump the gun--as a new DLP owner, I'm not sure what is normal and how to go about getting it straightened out--the retailer, or the manufacturer?

I'm not an owner myself but would just point out that East Coast TVs is not listed as an authorized dealer on Mitsubishi's website so you may need to address with the retailer.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/locator/online/
post #1280 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nofears View Post

I was in the same dilema but went with the 82840...Couldn't be happier and no regrets.

I am leaning towards the 82840 but still not sure.

I am not able to add speakers in the room so will need to rely on the unit's speakers. Consequently I am think I will get better sound from the 82840 speakers as opposed to the 82740 speakers.

However, my room has quite a large window on the side which can't be covered with dark drapes. When we purchased the 65809 in 2002 we removed the Diamond shield which meant there was very little reflection. But I expect that I will be getting quite a reflection off of the Clear Contrast Screen which is installed with the 82840. Night time viewing won't be a problem, but of course in summer in Maine where I live, it stays light til nearly 9pm at times. (I'm assuming that the Clear Contrast Screen is not removeable.)
post #1281 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by max58 View Post

I'm not an owner myself but would just point out that East Coast TVs is not listed as an authorized dealer on Mitsubishi's website so you may need to address with the retailer.

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/locator/online/

Well, that's interesting...does that mean I'm not covered by the manufacturer's warranty? If so, they've defrauded me.

post #1282 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 AM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

Well, that's interesting...does that mean I'm not covered by the manufacturer's warranty? If so, they've defrauded me.

Call Mitsubishi and have them verify if it's authorized dealer or not.
post #1283 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 09:16 AM

Wonder how complete the list of "authorized dealers" is. For example, Cleveland Plasma is not listed.....are they?
post #1284 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 09:26 AM

I called and didn't get a straight answer on East Coast TVs. I did, however, get an appointment for in home service from a local company--so I'm not sure what their warning about "not being protected" is all about.

It might be about third party service contracts rather than extended warranty from mits, which I was indeed sold (and that what not was I expected.) I'll talk to ECtv about that once I hear back from them.

I kind of jumped on them with both feet based on mits' warning. If I were them, I'd be upset at having my domain listed on a page like that. I took a look at ECtv's BBB page and they seem to do a good job resolving most complaints, FWIW. We'll see how all this goes.

Mits Tier 2 support was amazingly better than Tier 1. Like, from the wretched to the divine.
post #1285 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 09:55 AM

Quote:

I called and didn't get a straight answer on East Coast TVs. I did, however, get an appointment for in home service from a local company--so I'm not sure what their warning about "not being protected" is all about.

It might be about third party service contracts rather than extended warranty from mits, which I was indeed sold (and that what not was I expected.) I'll talk to ECtv about that once I hear back from them.

I kind of jumped on them with both feet based on mits' warning. If I were them, I'd be upset at having my domain listed on a page like that. I took a look at ECtv's BBB page and they seem to do a good job resolving most complaints, FWIW. We'll see how all this goes.

Mits Tier 2 support was amazingly better than Tier 1. Like, from the wretched to the divine.

Yeah, from everything I have read around this forum & others, Mits seems to honor the Manufacturer warranty regardless but I suspect that there are exceptions where they may not when its bought thru a dealer that isnt authorized.

And I have not read a lot of bad reports about East Coast TVs or some of the other very popular (non-officially authorized) resellers (many of which are on Amazon) either to suggest buying through them is a bad idea. But figured it might be pointing out to you so you don't end up 30/60+ days later SOL.
post #1286 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 10:06 AM

Out of curiosity, why are some not official...like if they have the product and are able to sell the Mits tvs, why are some exempt from being official? Just curious to know the reason.

Looking for a mature gaming forum? Come check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1287 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 10:21 AM

Two deftech Trinity subwoofers, I hope you have understanding neighbors!!

BIGBLUEMAN
post #1288 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:

And I have not read a lot of bad reports about East Coast TVs or some of the other very popular (non-officially authorized) resellers (many of which are on Amazon) either to suggest buying through them is a bad idea. But figured it might be pointing out to you so you don't end up 30/60+ days later SOL.

I appreciate it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post

Out of curiosity, why are some not official...like if they have the product and are able to sell the Mits tvs, why are some exempt from being official? Just curious to know the reason.

Well, one possibility that concerned me was they might be selling B-stock without saying so--but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm not sure what that warning page is all about. It certainly put a shock through me, and had me imagining an uncomfortable conversation with Amex.

ECtv has already called me in response to my email--I let them know what the situation is, and they said they would have done the same. So apparently they can order service through Mit's network of local support outfits. They asked I keep them posted, and said they would be pleased to help out with issues further getting it diagnosed and fixed through Mits, etc. That was a good response, and enough to satisfy me for the time being. From what I've read, there are significant odds of getting a unit with problems from any retailer, so I am going to remain calm for now and see how it shakes out.

But I'm not crazy, right? It shouldn't look like that.

Are there test screens on the AVS downloadable calibration file that would be more revealing of the problem than that screensaver?
post #1289 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 01:07 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I appreciate it!

Well, one possibility that concerned me was they might be selling B-stock without saying so--but that doesn't appear to be the case. I'm not sure what that warning page is all about. It certainly put a shock through me, and had me imagining an uncomfortable conversation with Amex.

ECtv has already called me in response to my email--I let them know what the situation is, and they said they would have done the same. So apparently they can order service through Mit's network of local support outfits. They asked I keep them posted, and said they would be pleased to help out with issues further getting it diagnosed and fixed through Mits, etc. That was a good response, and enough to satisfy me for the time being. From what I've read, there are significant odds of getting a unit with problems from any retailer, so I am going to remain calm for now and see how it shakes out.

But I'm not crazy, right? It shouldn't look like that.

Are there test screens on the AVS downloadable calibration file that would be more revealing of the problem than that screensaver?

different manufacturers take different approaches. Some will not provide any warranty service on a unit purchased through a non-authrorized channel. Other OEMs will do warranty but they spread a bit of fear uncertainty and doubt about it. Hard to say what the Mits' official stand is. Extended 3rd party warranties may wrap around such a situation. For example Costco is not authorized on any product, but they buy huge amounts of computer, cameras and TV's and they handle the warranty requests.

I suspect these named "non-authorized" resellers are on Mits sh%t list for selling practices that caused the authorized channel some heartburn or because they have have a history of leaving customers in the lurch.

Pioneer for example is extremely fussy about the sales channel the product comes from and if you need warranty work on product that did not come through an authorized channel forget about it.

I think you can pretty much get the same or very similar pricing through authorized resellers so why mess with the people that Mits has a big enough hard on for to blacklist them on their website. Mits needs all the distribution they can get, so for a volume reseller to be shamed like that on Mits' site they have had to really piss somebody off.

Just another blank signature.
post #1290 of 3975 Old 01-12-2012, 01:29 PM

Quote:

I think you can pretty much get the same or very similar pricing through authorized resellers so why mess with the people that Mits has a big enough hard on for to blacklist them on their website. Mits needs all the distribution they can get, so for a volume reseller to be shamed like that on Mits' site they have had to really piss somebody off.

Mostly because I didn't know, and they had the best price on the day I pulled the trigger (aside from TigerDirect, which I forgot to check. Oops.) I also didn't realize that one of the major local retailers would have likely matched the price I paid (even if ECtv isn't authorized.)

Live and learn. (So long as I can get this solved, lol. Otherwise live and throw a fit.)
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page