3Likes

post #1441 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post

I went out to HH Gregg tonight to see if they would price match the 73640 with the 73C11 offer at Dell, and they said they could do that. At that point I saw a price tag for the 73840 for the lowest price I've seen to date, so I bought it.

With a 30-day price match, I'm covered if the price drops for the Super Bowl.

I took the 2-year interest-free deal too, because with the world ending this year it's like getting it for free

It's going to be delivered on Saturday. Now I have to start checking my 3D options and see what I need. I assume I'll be buying a new blu-ray player and some glasses.

I sent you a PM, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1442 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

You should have a battery backup so the cooling fans can at least cool the internal components off in the event of a power outage. I actually had my first outtage with mine hooked up to this APC backup

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842101343

Worked GREAT! Gave me time to shut the TV down, and let it go through its cooling phase. I can't recommend it enough for a "cheap" little solution after seeing it actually work. (How many ppl buy backups but never get to see them in action?)

Mines on the 73640, but this will work on your 740/840's at different sizes.

Thanks, that's a good idea. I hadn't thought about the cooling phase. I have a decent surge protector already, but no battery backup.
post #1443 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 07:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornholio123 View Post

I sent you a PM, thanks.

Replied.
post #1444 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 AM

Quote:

That's a good price! HH Gregg wanted $360 for 4 years.

Squaretrade.com has good prices,good company too. use the coupon code THIRTY30 for 30% off. your cost would be around $99 for 3 years with an option for 4th year for $40 more.
post #1445 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 08:24 AM

Quote:

Squaretrade.com has good prices,good company too. use the coupon code THIRTY30 for 30% off. your cost would be around $99 for 3 years with an option for 4th year for $40 more.

I second SquareTrade. That's the one I got on my 82740. I have it on all of my portables as well (MacBook Pro, MacBook Air, iPad, iPhone, kids' iPod touch, etc.). I had to submit a claim for my wife's iPhone after she dropped it. Simple and easy.
post #1446 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 08:41 AM

Am I reading this right, squaretrade covers bulb replacement in the case of failure?

•Television Coverage
◦Light engine failure
•Symptoms: No picture or Missing color(s).
◦Convergence failure
•Symptoms: Skewed images (blurry, hourglass, fuzzy edges).
◦Power supply burn out
•Symptoms: No power or electrical smell.
◦Short OR input solders break from the circuit board
•Symptoms: No picture or Components fail to be displayed.
◦Speaker / sound failures
•Symptoms: No audio or poor or low audio.
◦Vacuum tube failure
•Symptoms: No picture.
◦Bulb failure (non-consumer replaceable bulbs on plasma & flat panel LCD only)
•Symptoms: No picture.
100% Parts & Labor Coverage with Zero Deductibles.
We pay you full item cost if item can't be fixed.
post #1447 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 08:52 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

You should have a battery backup so the cooling fans can at least cool the internal components off in the event of a power outage. I actually had my first outtage with mine hooked up to this APC backup

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16842101343

Worked GREAT! Gave me time to shut the TV down, and let it go through its cooling phase. I can't recommend it enough for a "cheap" little solution after seeing it actually work. (How many ppl buy backups but never get to see them in action?)

Mines on the 73640, but this will work on your 740/840's at different sizes.

I have to say, that was the first thing I did when I got my TV, put it on a battery backup. Though I have to say I see mine get used all the time, mainly because I changed the sensitivity of the battery backup to kick in if it detects an under or over-voltage greater than 8 volts. I can see those bulbs in the back going out much quicker when dealing with constant changes in voltage do to brown out or minor surge. The best thing in my mind is to be both on a battery backup and on a home theater line voltage filter, but I am over paranoid when it comes to voltages and line noise, probably because I deal with servers at work all the time and get a bit of that trickle over effect... But a definite yes to the battery backup. Just don't overload it plugging your surround sound system into it or something...
post #1448 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

My point really, was that while the ABT chip in my DUO is very good, there are more advanced chipsets from Marvel and others today. If you were going to design a Video Processor from the ground up you would use something newer and better. The latest OPPO players uses newer chipsets than what is in the DUO. Of course the DUO is not mainly about deinterlacing and scaling. It is about those thing but more importantly the CMS.

I would love to add a video processor like the DUO to my setup to get better scaling than what is built into the 840, and of course the advanced CMS, but all of the video processors I have found seem to be HDMI 1.3 only, no HDMI 1.4. Won't this break our 3D on the 740/840's?
post #1449 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1-377 View Post

Am I reading this right, squaretrade covers bulb replacement in the case of failure?

Symptoms: No picture.
◦Bulb failure (non-consumer replaceable bulbs on plasma & flat panel LCD only)

No, not on DLPs.....Those bulbs are "consumer replaceable" so Square Trade does not cover them. They only cover the "non-consumer replaceable bulbs" that are on plasma and flat panel LCD Tvs.
post #1450 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainTaco View Post

I would love to add a video processor like the DUO to my setup to get better scaling than what is built into the 840, and of course the advanced CMS, but all of the video processors I have found seem to be HDMI 1.3 only, no HDMI 1.4. Won't this break our 3D on the 740/840's?

I have the DVDO Duo and the current firmware (v2.32) is listed as passing 3D signals. I haven't tried it though.
post #1451 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 09:45 AM

Quote:

It's still cheaper at Costco, though...Squaretrade warranty for 5 years for $100 (manufacturer's warranty extended to 2 years plus 3 additional years with Square Trade).
post #1452 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 11:01 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post

How much is that mitsu pinnacle? Do you have to call the 800# to get a quote?

Search" pinnacle tv stands "on Amazon and a few will come up there
post #1453 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 11:03 AM

Quote:

It's still cheaper at Costco, though...Squaretrade warranty for 5 years for $100 (manufacturer's warranty extended to 2 years plus 3 additional years with Square Trade).

I believe you have to purchase TV from Costco to get double the manufacturer warranty. I hope I'm wrong, would be nice to get 5 yrs for that price !! LOL
post #1454 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redonly View Post

I believe you have to purchase TV from Costco to get double the manufacturer warranty. I hope I'm wrong, would be nice to get 5 yrs for that price !! LOL

I checked the site last night and it said you just have to be a Costco member to get the 5 years.
post #1455 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 11:15 AM

Quote:

Yeah just got a negative call from the Mrs. She really likes our current stand for a 67" Sammy A750. This 82" jobber would hang off each side way to much to look proper and she hasn't seen a single one online that she likes.

So her suggestion was to move the Mitsu to the basement. Not an awful idea but it's finished...so a lot of work to get surround sound, I would've picked the 840 vs. 740, etc. Not ideal at this point.

She's very anti- black, plasticy, shiny (modern) looking shelves. Just won't "do" in our room. And it's tough finding one that's 17-19" high.

She doesn't even like the "silver" outline around the SRV 75 Cherry stand, which I really dig that stand and would've settled at it's price at this point.

She also doesn't like the idea of ordering $900 worth of tv stand online to get it shipped and see it looks a lot less appealing than in the picture online. That I can understand.

We have a shop which offers the custom built Salamanders, so we'll head out there on Saturday and take a look...but I have a hunch that's going to hurt worse than the SRV-75!

So we may end up designing something w/ a carpentar...joy.
post #1456 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:

I noticed this as well on the DUO site. Says 1.3, but there is a 3D firmware posted right on center of page in Red.

I see the processor in the Pioneer VX-53 Elite is by Anchor Bay but the receiver is 1.4a? Conrfusing to say the least, AB should update info on these VP's.

Cool Beans.
post #1457 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 11:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

Actually the DUO will pass 3D but it won't do any color management on it. The Lumagen Radiance Mini 3D can fully process the 3D frames and supports 1.4a I believe. The Radiance Mini was on sale in December for about $1395. Only drawback to it is that does not have a bunch of inputs and outputs like the DUO.

Just another blank signature.
post #1458 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 12:16 PM

Liked: 16
Has anyone connected an Onkyo TX-NR709 to their 840? I was wondering how it works with the Qdeo video scaling chip and the already beautiful picture the 840 has by itself. Also are there any issues or tweaks for using it with the 840? So far I haven't found any DLP owners in the TX-NR709 owner's thread.

Mitsubishi WD-92842, Onkyo HT-S9400THX, Oppo BDP-93, XBOX 360 w/Kinect, XBOX (modded), WD My Book Essential, FiOS Bundle
post #1459 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 12:18 PM

Walt's came through with the Price Match on the DELL special. They have already issued a credit to my credit card. Very happy with Walt's Tv so far.
post #1460 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 01:04 PM

Quote:

I checked the site last night and it said you just have to be a Costco member to get the 5 years.

I would be careful relying on that interpretation without getting it confirmed. The second year warranty provided by Costco is part of their Concierge service, which seems to apply (for obvious reasons) only to items purchased at Costco. And the terms of the Square Trade warranty also point out that it begins at the end of either the manufacturer's warranty or the Concierge warranty.

So if you want to purchase the Square Trade warranty from Costco, I would strongly encourage you to ask up front about this issue so there is no confusion 4 1/2 years from now.
post #1461 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

You have to understand that the matte screen on the 82740 is high gain. That means it makes compromises to achieve extra brightness. Those compromises are in sharpness and in viewing angle. The high gain screen is highly directional. The matte screen on the 73" is not a high gain screen. Because the clear screen is much brighter and sharper and is not using the trick of high gain. It naturally is sharper and bright than the matte screen used on the smaller 73" dispaly and way brighter and sharper than the matte screen on the 82". The light engines could be tweaked slightly by Mits to optimize for the clear screen. We don't really know that. If they are it would porobably be in the mirror. The hardware is essentially the same. The 82737 and 82838 had a dynamic iris which improved the blacks on those sets but the cost was additional reduction in max white. Mits has done away with the dynamic iris in the 2011 sets. My 92840 makes way more light than my 82837 does and this is because it does not have either the dynamic iris or the high gain matte screen. We don't know if Mits is able to leave the mirros on longer or other electronic tricks to increase brightness. If you buy a 92" you get the clear screen. Only on the 82" do you have a choice. If I was buying an 82" and my room lighting was compatible, then hands down I would go for the clear screen. The sound bar and the other little feature differences don't amount to a hill of beans in my eyes. Only the screen... and if your room doesn't have reasonable light control, the clear screen could be problematic.

One of things about the high gain matte screen on the 82740 and its 2010 and 2009 cousins is that the screen causes some slight color misconvergence. You can see it on test patterns. That is probably a big part of the sharpness difference. Also the high gain screen is very fussy about stand height.

The clear screen doesn't do this (color misconvergence). The down side of the clear screen is in darker content or just large black parts of the screen during bright content you may see some reflections depending on your room lighting. This is typical of some plasmas and some clear screen LED/LCDS. Mits should use a high quality filter coating on the clear screen but maybe it is not cost effective for them.

Thanks for posting this information. i just received my 82740 from Paul's TV (via Amazon) the other day and when I had attached my HTPC via HDMI to the unit, I was surprised to see that text sharpness was less than my old HP MD6580n that it was replacing. This was even after decreasing contrast and turning off sharpness.

I have yet to optimize the settings on the unit, so, hopefully I can increase the sharpness of the text at least to something comparable to my old HP RPTV.
post #1462 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 01:09 PM

Quote:

$250 with Free Shipping

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-TV-stand...item2a1796c6f8
post #1463 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invarcade View Post

Alright, this is getting infuriating.... I have tried with my old glasses and with the new Xpand glasses on the 4 blink panasonic setting. I have tried with PS3, with blu-ray 3d iso on the PC, I have tried a side by side 3d golf cable channel on the cable box... nothing seems to work on 3D with this 92840. My old 72 inch never gave me this many issues getting 3D up and running and I had to buy a converter box for it. I have tried cycling through the menus on the picture screen, tried normal and reverse settings, my menu is at .05..... what else is there to try... am I missing something? Is it possible I have a bad TV with the 3D broken on it here? I haven't read where anyone else had this much trouble getting basic 3D up and working...

I have the "Mitsubishi 3DGX103 XPAND 3D Glass - Black" I purchased from Amazon.

I have the 82740. I can play a half Side-by-Side (SBS) 1920x1080 AVI file using Microsoft Windows Media Player on my Windows 7 Home HTPC. Connection from the HTPC to the 82740 is using an HDMI cable. HTPC is an Atom based system using the built-in graphics processor. Once the AVI file plays, I select full screen. The video shown appears as two side-by-side videos. I then bring up the menu on the 82740 and under 3D, I select the side-by-side option. After a 5 second blank screen, the images shown are now overlapped. I power on the 3DGX103 XPAND glasses and the image as viewed through the glasses are in 3D.

Though under the 3D menu, I've selected 'automatic', it never worked. Likely because my HTPC and HDMI cable don't support that.

Dave
post #1464 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineiac13 View Post

...And the terms of the Square Trade warranty also point out that it begins at the end of either the manufacturer's warranty or the Concierge warranty.

So if you want to purchase the Square Trade warranty from Costco, I would strongly encourage you to ask up front about this issue so there is no confusion 4 1/2 years from now.

From the squaretrade website...
For New Items: Coverage lasts 2-5 years as indicated at the time that you purchase your warranty. This coverage starts on the date of purchase of the covered item.
post #1465 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 01:37 PM

I've had my 82740 for about 2 weeks now... I have just about everything situated the way I want it save for Blu-Ray PQ.

Has anyone experienced any poor picture quality with their Blu-ray player? I have a NSZ-GT1 from Sony with Google TV. I LOVE the unit, but Blu-ray looks incredibly poor in comparison to even Netflix. I'm overjoyed with the OTA picture, Netflix and pretty happy with SD DVD's. Blu-ray just looks grainy and splotchy. A HUGE letdown. I was one of those who just bought an upscaling DVD player and didn't think Blu-ray would be any better...my Sony is my first foray into Blu ray and as I noted above it's been a major disappointment. I've had it hooked directly to the HDMI on the back of the TV...I've had it HDMI'd to my AVR...no difference.

Any suggestions...or anyone have a similar experience?
post #1466 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 PM
AVS Special Member

OK, I have spent a good chunk of time reading this entire thread - lots of good info!

I currently have a 2009 73" Mitsubishi set, and am leaning towards the 92" 2011 model, as long as I can work out the logistics with my entertainment center.

Here's my first question:

I currently do NOT have a 3D add-on kit for the 2009 model (it doesn't support 3D without a kit). What would be the most inexpensive way to make the 2009 work with 3D glasses that also work with a new 2011 92" set? I have read numerous posts about Samsung compatibility for the older sets, and how that's changed with the 2011 sets. I'd love to have 4-5 glasses that will work with BOTH of the TVs, in other words.

Brett

I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous.
post #1467 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 02:28 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by growler13 View Post

I have the "Mitsubishi 3DGX103 XPAND 3D Glass - Black" I purchased from Amazon.

I have the 82740. I can play a half Side-by-Side (SBS) 1920x1080 AVI file using Microsoft Windows Media Player on my Windows 7 Home HTPC. Connection from the HTPC to the 82740 is using an HDMI cable. HTPC is an Atom based system using the built-in graphics processor. Once the AVI file plays, I select full screen. The video shown appears as two side-by-side videos. I then bring up the menu on the 82740 and under 3D, I select the side-by-side option. After a 5 second blank screen, the images shown are now overlapped. I power on the 3DGX103 XPAND glasses and the image as viewed through the glasses are in 3D.

Though under the 3D menu, I've selected 'automatic', it never worked. Likely because my HTPC and HDMI cable don't support that.

Dave

It is not your HDMI cable that limits the Automatic setting, it is becasue your HTPC does not add the HDMI 1.4a 3D signal flag so the TV can identify that it is a 3D siganl and what type of 3D signal. The cable really is totally passive in this situation.

There is a short cut for your 3D mode TV. If you always use the SBS from the PC connected directly to the TV. Once you have the TV showing 3D, press TOOLS on the remote control followed by the number 7 key. This will toggle OFF and ON the 3D mode using the last used 3D setting for the input, in your case it is between the OFF and SBS settings. You can skip the full TV menu.
post #1468 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 02:36 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettStah View Post

OK, I have spent a good chunk of time reading this entire thread - lots of good info!

I currently have a 2009 73" Mitsubishi set, and am leaning towards the 92" 2011 model, as long as I can work out the logistics with my entertainment center.

Here's my first question:

I currently do NOT have a 3D add-on kit for the 2009 model (it doesn't support 3D without a kit). What would be the most inexpensive way to make the 2009 work with 3D glasses that also work with a new 2011 92" set? I have read numerous posts about Samsung compatibility for the older sets, and how that's changed with the 2011 sets. I'd love to have 4-5 glasses that will work with BOTH of the TVs, in other words.

Your options are:
1. Adapter kit model 3DA-1 (that is the kit that does not include the glasses or emitter) and 4 pair of DLP Link type glasses. Both of your TVs support DLP Link glasses. The problem is 3DA-1 adapter are getting hard to find.
2. Adapter kit model 3DC-1000 (that is the kit that includes the glasses and emitter) and 4 pair of Xpand 3DG-X103 or Xpand X103. Those glasses are compatible with both the emitter in new TV and the emitter that comes with the kit. You do have two extra pairs of glasses, the ones that come with the kit becasue those glasses are not comptible with the emitter in your new TV.
3. Adatper kit model 3DC-100S (this kit includes same glasses and emitter but the adapter is made to be used with either Mitsubsihi TVs or Samsung TVs) plus 4 pair of the Xpand glasses.
4. Limit your older TV to 3D Blu-rays (no cable or satellite) or PC that output checkerboard 3D, (Panasonic or Oppo Blu-ray players) and 4 pair of DLP Link glasses.
post #1469 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 03:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee L. Peabody View Post

I've had my 82740 for about 2 weeks now... I have just about everything situated the way I want it save for Blu-Ray PQ.

Has anyone experienced any poor picture quality with their Blu-ray player? I have a NSZ-GT1 from Sony with Google TV. I LOVE the unit, but Blu-ray looks incredibly poor in comparison to even Netflix. I'm overjoyed with the OTA picture, Netflix and pretty happy with SD DVD's. Blu-ray just looks grainy and splotchy. A HUGE letdown. I was one of those who just bought an upscaling DVD player and didn't think Blu-ray would be any better...my Sony is my first foray into Blu ray and as I noted above it's been a major disappointment. I've had it hooked directly to the HDMI on the back of the TV...I've had it HDMI'd to my AVR...no difference.

Any suggestions...or anyone have a similar experience?

Check the video(s) I posted a link to last night, and see if the PQ issues aren't demonstrated there. Be patient for 20 seconds until a mouse cursor points to specific areas to watch closely.

The video is of (still) Blu-ray quality content chosen specifically to demonstrate what I know to be a bad chip and/or firmware, but it's existence means degradation of all Blu-ray content. And I have owned the 2009 model in which there was no such defect, and the Blu-rays looked a lot better.

I am disappointed like you, and need feedback to work with Mitsubishi. Thanks for your help. In return, I'll keep you posted on any fix.

|
|
2011 Mits DLP owners: upgrade firmware to 13.06 to fix picture quality. More here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1470 of 3982 Old 01-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1-377 View Post

From the squaretrade website...
For New Items: Coverage lasts 2-5 years as indicated at the time that you purchase your warranty. This coverage starts on the date of purchase of the covered item.

Apples and Oranges.

The Square Trade Warranty offered by Costco is different (and better) than the Warranty you get if you go directly to Square Trade.

Here is a link to the terms of the warranty offered through Costco. Note the beginning dates shown near the top left as follows:

Coverage Start Date: After Costco Concierge or manufacturer's warranty expiration, whichever is longest.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page