Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by nanochron View Post

50 bonus points for the person who can figure out what movie I had on in the pics above.

Mission Impossible!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-07-2011, 01:50 PM

Liked: 10
So here is the situation and i need some help. About 2 months ago i bought a 60" Sharp LC-60LE832U which is an LED for around 2100 after taxes. Its a nice tv but there are some flaws and little things that bother me about it, like the colors sometimes and pixelation problems it has when there are fast moving scenes. I only noticed the DLP tvs after i had bought the sharp, because i thought they were a dead technology. In deed i was wrong after doing the research. I am very close to pulling the trigger on taking my sharp back and getting the WD-73640 model, I would be getting a bigger tv and saving around 4-500 dollars. I have never owned a DLP tv before, i have experience with plasmas, LCDs, and now LEDs. Please someone give me some advice if i should make this move. I find myself to be a stickler for motion blur issues with tvs. I also read some reviews on the WD-73738 model which i could get cheaper, but i saw where that tv had some geometry issues and had hdmi input issues. How do these DLP tv's look while playing ps3? Is there any motion blur or lag? That also could be a make or break for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-07-2011, 03:08 PM

OK - my 740 arrived and is now installed. Initial thoughts:

* Very nice, crisp picture.
* No rainbows or any other DLP artifacts
* No screendoor (of course)
* I LOVE the design. Super minimal. The frame is extremely thin. Compared to my Sony XBR this is much nicer to look at.
* Very simple, easy menu system.

Pics to follow.

A is A
Old 08-07-2011, 03:12 PM

OK - first problem. There's a serious pin cushion issue in 4x3. I don't see a menu option to fix this. Would this be in service mode only? Could it be a bad unit?
LL

A is A
Old 08-07-2011, 03:16 PM

The TV has an option to make the lamp use less watts to save energy. That's the default. Here's the difference.
LL
LL

A is A
Old 08-07-2011, 03:17 PM

The viewing angle seems very good to me. Here's a pic.
LL

A is A
Old 08-07-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordanz View Post

The viewing angle seems very good to me. Here's a pic.

How's the horizontal viewing angle (if you're standing or sitting on the floor)?
Old 08-07-2011, 04:13 PM

The movie was Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade.

I'm not sure what is meant by pin cushion affect but if you are referring the the black bars on both sides of the picture, if you push the format button on the remote you can choose which format is best for you. Each will stretch/zoom the picture in different ways to reduce/remove the black bars.
Old 08-07-2011, 04:16 PM

When are they to be released????or should I say shipped.I can't get an answer fom mevsa.I have one coming as areplacement for a 65833, but no one has said when!!(wd-73840)
Old 08-07-2011, 04:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:

OK - first problem. There's a serious pin cushion issue in 4x3. I don't see a menu option to fix this. Would this be in service mode only? Could it be a bad unit?

Doesn't look that serious to me, yes you have to get into the service menu for manual geometry adjustment. May be the same steps as previous models.
Old 08-07-2011, 05:18 PM

This post has the service menu code - I tried it and it works:
http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load...023314089.html

However, I don't know where the geometry settings are.

A is A
Old 08-07-2011, 05:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm not sure what is meant by pin cushion affect but if you are referring the the black bars on both sides of the picture, if you push the format button on the remote you can choose which format is best for you. Each will stretch/zoom the picture in different ways to reduce/remove the black bars.

Pincushion is the effect you get when the side edges of the image aren't perfectly vertical. If you look at the photo, the edges of the image arc inward (they are concave).
Old 08-07-2011, 06:59 PM

OK - I've found the manual geometry menu (press 0 from the Service menu). But I don't have a clue how to use it. Does anyone have a link to the service menu manual?

A is A
Old 08-08-2011, 04:31 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:

OK - I've found the manual geometry menu (press 0 from the Service menu). But I don't have a clue how to use it. Does anyone have a link to the service menu manual?

This is from the 2009 Mits owners thread - note the disclaimer "Enter the Service Menu at your own risk." I corrected the geometry best I could on my 82837.

Mits Geometry Correction Instructions
Enter the Service Menu at your own risk.

- Press "menu"
- While on the menu screen press 2 4 5 7 wait 2 seconds then press 0
- You'll see 5 menu selections at the top of the screen
- Arrow down to "MANUAL KEYSTONE GEOMETRY ALIGNMENT" and press the "enter" button
- You will come to a black screen with overscan lines around the perimeter and two vertical lines at the 4:3 bar location
- Seeing this screen, you'll probably want to adjust the perimeter also which is the first part of these instructions. If not, read on through to the end which will get you to the 4:3 bar adjustment.
- There are adjustment points along the perimeter ("+" marks)
- The first point you're at when you arrive to the screen is the upper left corner
- Adjust that point (if needed) by pressing the up/down/left/right arrow keys in the direction you need that point to move to straighten any irregularities there. You won't see any of the lines move at this point, just the "+" pointer.
- You access the "+" points in a clockwise direction from the starting point by pressing "fast forward" (to the right of "play") on the remote to move to the next adjustment point. Adjust the pointer at the next point if needed in the same manner (up,down,left right) then on to the next point.
- "Fast Rewind" will move you backwards, point to point, headed back to the starting point.
- Since you don't see the results of your adjustments onscreen, you'll have to press "enter" which will return you to the Geometry menu screen, then "enter" again to get you back to the adjustment screen. Then you'll see the results. You'll be going back and forth like this quite a few times. NOTE: If you make an adjustment on a point and press "enter", that adjustment won't take. Make sure before you "enter" out to the menu, that you fast forward or rewind to the next point first.

- To adjust the two 4:3 vertical bars, "fast forward" all the way around to the starting point. Once there, you'll be in the 4:3 bar adjustment mode. The next "fast forward" press will make both 4:3 lines move. Just keep pressing "fast forward / rewind" until you get the bars straight as possible. Press "enter" to get back to the menu screen. If you are finished, press "exit".
Old 08-08-2011, 08:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Here is a link to a PDF of one of the Mits service manuals. It has some graphical references that might help explain the instructions in the post above.

Not sure if this helps much, but it at least shows the test pattern visuals...

http://www.audiolabga.com/pdf/V36-V3...ice_Manual.pdf

I am going to be sending Mits the payment for my replacement TV tomorrow, so I can't try any of this for a few weeks!

Good luck and use care when using these menus!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:

The TV has an option to make the lamp use less watts to save energy. That's the default. Here's the difference.

It might be me, but I'm not seeing much difference between lamp settings. Is it different in person?
We're hoping to order the 73' this weekend, and it's nice when posters post their TV experiences or pictures for us potential buyers. Thanks for the pictures.

Enjoy your new 3D HDTV........
Old 08-09-2011, 10:47 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 534 Post(s)
Liked: 706
Quote:
Originally Posted by NO REGRETS View Post

When are they to be released????or should I say shipped.I can't get an answer fom mevsa.I have one coming as areplacement for a 65833, but no one has said when!!(wd-73840)

The 840's are out and shipping, guess they did not get their's yet.
Old 08-09-2011, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyBama View Post

It might be me, but I'm not seeing much difference between lamp settings. Is it different

it's subtle. But we prefer the extra wattage.

A is A
Old 08-10-2011, 10:33 PM

Well, tomorrow is the day. I'm replacing my old Mitsubishi 65-909 with the new 82840. I hope it is as good and reliable as my old rptv.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandhunter View Post
Well, tomorrow is the day. I'm replacing my old Mitsubishi 65-909 with the new 82840. I hope it is as good and reliable as my old rptv.
Congrats! I ordered mine as well. They were going to deliver tomorrow, too, but I had to defer until next Tuesday due to scheduling conflicts at home. Hopefully you'll get a chance to share some photos and I can live vicariously (albeit only temporarily) through you!

In the meantime, I'm still building my HTPC to connect to this new behemoth.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:44 AM

Just recieved my 82840 yesterday and first thing I put in....Dark Knight.
Set performed better than I expected actually.
One issue I'm noticing is a "fuzziness" in the picture which the sharpness setting does not correct. Maybe its just my eyes....anyone have suggestions?
Also,does anyone have calibration settings recommendations?
In my set up Im actually sitting below the tv (its on an elevated stand)...should I tilt the set down a couple of degrees for better viewing angle?

First post, thanks....
Old 08-11-2011, 09:56 AM

How well do the geometry settings work? The one issue I have with my DLP and others Ive seen are the wavy lines on menus and black bars and pincushion. If those can be fixed/adjusted, I'll skip moving to an LCD from my current DLP.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:06 PM

I replaced a 65" Mitsubishi CRT with the new 82840 today. All I can say is WOW... Super easy to set up and a great picture. I was hesitant to buy this and was within a hair of pulling the trigger on the Sharp 70". I am glad I didn't. The picture is bright and crisp. The screen is very reflective, but I knew that going into the purchase. I would recommend this television to any and all of my friends.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:14 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Quote:

I ordered the 640 instead of the 740 since I already have an Xbox so I don't need the internet features. People are looking for pics so here are a few. These pictures are in full daylight and my room has lots of windows. They are taken with an iphone 3gs.

I dig that stand. What brand is it? Where did you find it? Thanks!
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 AM

Hey, I'm looking at that stats for these models and it shows only 1 combined component/composite input. Is that true? I know they are legacy inputs but just one is kinda skimpy. Would there by any way for me to hook up an original Xbox 360 (non hdmi) and a Wii to one of these tv's? My PS3 has the hdmi input so i'm good there. Also, did they do away with the side inputs?
Old 08-12-2011, 08:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tapointer View Post

Hey, I'm looking at that stats for these models and it shows only 1 combined component/composite input. Is that true? I know they are legacy inputs but just one is kinda skimpy. Would there by any way for me to hook up an original Xbox 360 (non hdmi) and a Wii to one of these tv's? My PS3 has the hdmi input so i'm good there. Also, did they do away with the side inputs?

It is a bit limited from a legacy input standpoint. The only way to have both of those connected would be if you have an AVR that has component/composite video switching capability.

EDIT: "Only way" is probably an exaggeration. Maybe there are ways to convert to HDMI?
Old 08-12-2011, 11:37 AM

We finally pulled the trigger on 73840...............

Got a Mitsubishi WD-73840, Samsung Blu-ray Player, Two 3D DLP Glasses, Polk Subwoofer, and a 6' HDMI Cable package deal. We bought "Legends of the Guardians, The Owls of Ga'hoole" 3D Blu-ray to watch that 1st night. We're looking forward to experiencing 3D from our Living rooms. Plus, going from a 32" HDTV to a 73" HDTV should be a big difference too.
Old 08-12-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelyBama View Post

We bought "Legends of the Guardians, The Owls of Ga'hoole" 3D Blu-ray to watch that 1st night.

My wife and I took my daughter to see that at the IMAX theater. We thought it was one of the most interminably boring movies we'd ever seen, and that it was WAY longer than it should have been.

At least everything else you picked is nice
Old 08-12-2011, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 74
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripsy View Post
Just recieved my 82840 yesterday and first thing I put in....Dark Knight.
Set performed better than I expected actually.
One issue I'm noticing is a "fuzziness" in the picture which the sharpness setting does not correct. Maybe its just my eyes....anyone have suggestions?
Also,does anyone have calibration settings recommendations?
In my set up Im actually sitting below the tv (its on an elevated stand)...should I tilt the set down a couple of degrees for better viewing angle?

First post, thanks....
turn the contrast down to about 40, to start.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 08-12-2011, 07:40 PM

Thanks to our sponsor, I'm upgrading my dead WD-52725 to a new WD-73840 ! I was pretty active on the forum in the early days of my WD-52725 and look forward to contributing, again!

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv