4Likes

post #1801 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 07:06 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by weed36 View Post

Ok.. who watched the Superbowl tonight on their Mits. I just got this tv about two weeks ago (WD 73740). It has a great picture but I did notice pixlation during the replays and also when NBC would transition their logo onto the screen. Did anyone else notice this pixlation.
My previous tv was a Sony XBR2 70" LCOS projection and I never had this type of "picture breakdown" while watching football or any onther programming.
Any ideas? Is my tv showing thie same problem as thhowl is describing.

I saw one case of pixelation...but otherwise did not have any problems on my 82740. At least from my experience, the problem has usually been a result of the source material. Some time ago I had used my DVR to record a program over Time Warner Cable which had that kind of pixelation. When I created a dvd from it and played it on various tvs and my pc, all showed the same problems...so clearly the problem was in the source, not my tv.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1802 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 09:41 AM

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Thanks for the post Savatage. I am wondering about the possibility of removing a large front window from my place in order to get this TV inside. I don't know how much it would cost to have that done professionally, but man, that 92" TV is larger than life. Really impressed with what such an immense size has to offer. A 70" LCD doesn't offer enough of an upgrade to justify upgrading from my current 65" Mits.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savatage316 View Post

Yea, i was in a similar boat. I got the 82 but thank god i didnt go any bigger, we had a bitch of a time getting it into my place and i just couldnt of imagined me trying to get the 92 in here with the same type of turns.

post #1803 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 09:47 AM

Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennynike1 View Post

Thanks for the post Savatage. I am wondering about the possibility of removing a large front window from my place in order to get this TV inside. I don't know how much it would cost to have that done professionally, but man, that 92" TV is larger than life. Really impressed with what such an immense size has to offer. A 70" LCD doesn't offer enough of an upgrade to justify upgrading from my current 65" Mits.

Taking windows out in order to get a bigger display into the house--now you're talking!
post #1804 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 09:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 15
seriously, if your gonna take out the window, why not just wall it in and have controlled lighting for front projector. Dont be silly.

If you insist though, on removing large window.

step 1. cut the molding lines, see where the studs are and how the windows are attached, screws nails suction etc.

step 2. seek help professionally, or a general contractor, or angies list.

post #1805 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Since moving all of my equipment out of the front of the room except the TV and speakers I've been saying that I should have gone with the 82 or 92"... but then I run into the same problem of not being able to get it into the basement - and I don't mind the 73" so much

Never in my life did I think I would say "I'm settling for the small 73 inch TV" and actually mean it. LOL!!

-Aaron
My Basement Movie Room and Bar/Game Room - actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #1806 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee L. Peabody View Post

I got my 3rd random shutoff after the SuperBowl on Sunday night. The green lights blinked rapidly and I jumped up to check the back of the set...no light...no fan. This time I turned the TV back on, immediately, and it powered right back on. I watched for another 45 minutes, or so, and turned it off and it went through it's regular shutdown routine. The set had been on for just about 12 hours on the dot.

Very alarming. 3 random shutoffs in a month's time...can't be a good sign.

I'm going to call Mitsubishi tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Isaac, I hope you haven't had this happen to you, again. BTW...the game looked FANTASTIC on my 82740 and I had no picture issues that I've seen noted in this thread, but I take my local channels over the air.

What version of software do you have?
post #1807 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1-377 View Post

I have some 6 shutdowns in the 350 hours I have had my set, running 13.05, I need to check if my Denon has HDMI-CEC off. I did not see this issue with my 82837.

Just another blank signature.
post #1808 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

The 92" in the factory pack fits just fine through a standard 36" x 80" entry door. Out of the box on a furniture dolly it would go through a much smaller opening.

post #1809 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 01:05 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
gtgray, regarding your previous mits sets would you calibrate on natural color low or natural color high. I just replaced the bulb in my 73835 and will be calibrating again once i get some hours on it. Im waiting to see the changes in this years 92" before jumping in. Anyways I always started with natural low but have read some other people with mits have had success starting with natural high. Any opinion on this?
post #1810 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 01:10 PM

I don't think my door is standard gtgray. My door is 32" x 80.75" inches and, unfortunately, we are not talking about a straight shot in. The door is located on the right side (90 degree angle) of a 40" wide hallway, thus the width of the TV becomes an issue because I will likely have to stand it on its end. With the packaging on, the 92" mits is over 86" long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

The 92" in the factory pack fits just fine through a standard 36" x 80" entry door. Out of the box on a furniture dolly it would go through a much smaller opening.

post #1811 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 01:15 PM

A digital projector would be nice, but then you have to try to find the best projector. There aren't many places to demo projectors to determine the quality. Prices on the projectors are also all over the map. Any suggestions on great projectors to consider?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc88keyz View Post

seriously, if your gonna take out the window, why not just wall it in and have controlled lighting for front projector. Dont be silly.

If you insist though, on removing large window.

step 1. cut the molding lines, see where the studs are and how the windows are attached, screws nails suction etc.

step 2. seek help professionally, or a general contractor, or angies list.

post #1812 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 01:29 PM

In reference to having 3 random shutoffs in 279 hours, my software version is: V45+ 013.01

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1-377 View Post

post #1813 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked: 67
Quote:

In reference to having 3 random shutoffs in 279 hours, my software version is: V45+ 013.01

13.01 is way old. You should be on 13.04/.05. Go get the latest firmware or download it. Might have a cooling fix/timing issue fix in it also.

Strange, I received my 73640 in August with 13.03, build date of June. You should not be on the first firmware.

Cool Beans.
post #1814 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 01:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

gtgray, regarding your previous mits sets would you calibrate on natural color low or natural color high. I just replaced the bulb in my 73835 and will be calibrating again once i get some hours on it. Im waiting to see the changes in this years 92" before jumping in. Anyways I always started with natural low but have read some other people with mits have had success starting with natural high. Any opinion on this?

Well, first is I use a video processor, so if I was going to use a preset mode on a 2011 I would work from Natural and use Low Color Temp as the starting point. If I was not using a video processor then I would work from Advanced mode and manually set the grayscale. In either case calibration to me means a useful meter and software.

I use ChromaPure Professional and the ChromaPure Display Pro 3 with a proper table for rear projection DLP with UHP lamp. Because I have those particular tools and the DVDO DUO Video Processor I can run auto-calibration, itis brain dead simple to do an auto-calibrate.

I do begin in the Natural preset, lamp on Bright, and use the Low Color Temperature setting as a starting point.

I have never bothered on the 2011 to see how close the factory grayscale is but I know "Low" is much closer to 6500K than High which is way too blue,

When I get a little time I intend to do a manual calibration using 75% Saturation. I have measured the saturation tracking but I get the feeling that while these sets get very, very close to target on color at 100 percent saturation, they colors on lightly saturated scenes do not look natural. ChromaPure has an advanced color mode for checking this. That AVS 709 disk has patterns to support that. It is not uncommon for sets to exhibit this behavior. Sadly, that is something you must manually compensate for and it takes auto-calibration out of the running.

I will measure for undersaturation at the lower levels of saturation. The idea here would be that a 100 percent stimulus75% red color might only 60 percent red etc.. This creates an odd situation because normally you calibrated at 100 percent saturation. The idea being if 100 percent is right than lower saturations should be fine. This is true if the internal Color Management Systems works right...

I will get around to measuring this soon. Basically you check all 6 colors each at 25, 50, 75 and 100% saturations and if the set works right you should have essentially about the same amount error in each color at each saturation level. The common work around if this is not the case is to adjust the set at 75% saturation and let the deeper colors be slightly oversaturated.

post #1815 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I don't think my door is standard gtgray. My door is 32" x 80.75" inches and, unfortunately, we are not talking about a straight shot in. The door is located on the right side (90 degree angle) of a 40" wide hallway, thus the width of the TV becomes an issue because I will likely have to stand it on its end. With the packaging on, the 92" mits is over 86" long.

That is a standard door, just the smaller of the two standard sizes. Most homes will have the 36 inch width at least on the front entry. The Mits outer box -- sides and top come off very easily. The skid part of the packaging is right at the 32"... so I think you would need to remove the 92840 from the box regardless to get throught that door... I doubt the clear opening width is really 32" when you take door stops and weatherstripping into account.

post #1816 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 02:27 PM

It would be a tight fit to be sure. Not sure if the store would be willing to attempt to fit the TV into my place with the understanding that it will need to be returned if a way can't be found to get it in there. A cocky salesman had told me that it wouldn't be a problem. I can't say I am convinced.

The 92" Mits is awesome, so I have found it difficult to give up on, despite being told about the impractacility of the unit from friends and family
post #1817 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 02:41 PM

Heck,
I had to stand my 62" dlp up sideways to get it thru a door in the hallway.
Maybe 82" is all you can fit...
post #1818 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 02:53 PM

Thanks, DR... I just got off the phone with Mitsu support. He didn't seem the least bit worried about my software version. I'll do the upgrade via thumb driver here a little later. He said the software version had nothing to do with the shutoffs.

He said what we all can intuitively figure out through common sense without being technical whatsoever...he merely said the bulb was getting overheated and that I should place a fan back in the area to dissipate the heat. I thought of doing that and I guess I'll now actually do it. I think I'll turn the fan on if I'm getting up around 10 hours of viewing. Funny, but my TV is not in an area where there should be a build up of heat. I've got decent distance from the wall.

I did ask what damage could be done to the set and he said absolutely none and then added all it does is shorten the bulb life!!!! That's all???? I told him that was a big deal to me. I hope this bulb goes before my year is up so I can have them replace it for me.

A great set with this issue I guess is manageable for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRaven72 View Post

13.01 is way old. You should be on 13.04/.05. Go get the latest firmware or download it. Might have a cooling fix/timing issue fix in it also.

Strange, I received my 73640 in August with 13.03, build date of June. You should not be on the first firmware.

post #1819 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 04:02 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Well, first is I use a video processor, so if I was going to use a preset mode on a 2011 I would work from Natural and use Low Color Temp as the starting point. If I was not using a video processor then I would work from Advanced mode and manually set the grayscale. In either case calibration to me means a useful meter and software.

I use ChromaPure Professional and the ChromaPure Display Pro 3 with a proper table for rear projection DLP with UHP lamp. Because I have those particular tools and the DVDO DUO Video Processor I can run auto-calibration, itis brain dead simple to do an auto-calibrate.

I do begin in the Natural preset, lamp on Bright, and use the Low Color Temperature setting as a starting point.

I have never bothered on the 2011 to see how close the factory grayscale is but I know "Low" is much closer to 6500K than High which is way too blue,

When I get a little time I intend to do a manual calibration using 75% Saturation. I have measured the saturation tracking but I get the feeling that while these sets get very, very close to target on color at 100 percent saturation, they colors on lightly saturated scenes do not look natural. ChromaPure has an advanced color mode for checking this. That AVS 709 disk has patterns to support that. It is not uncommon for sets to exhibit this behavior. Sadly, that is something you must manually compensate for and it takes auto-calibration out of the running.

I will measure for undersaturation at the lower levels of saturation. The idea here would be that a 100 percent stimulus75% red color might only 60 percent red etc.. This creates an odd situation because normally you calibrated at 100 percent saturation. The idea being if 100 percent is right than lower saturations should be fine. This is true if the internal Color Management Systems works right...

I will get around to measuring this soon. Basically you check all 6 colors each at 25, 50, 75 and 100% saturations and if the set works right you should have essentially about the same amount error in each color at each saturation level. The common work around if this is not the case is to adjust the set at 75% saturation and let the deeper colors be slightly oversaturated.

Thanks for the response. I have an I1 pro and have used Calman previously but debating switching to Chromapure. I have seen calibration reports from a few respected national traveling calibrators and they have started with color temp high on the mits so i was curious as to the reasoning's as low does measure closer to 6500K out of the box. Im assuming you use bright for lamp mode to increase ftL? On my 73" i can easily achieve the desired ftL on standard. Im looking forward to seeing what you find regarding color saturation.
post #1820 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 07:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by njfoses View Post

Thanks for the response. I have an I1 pro and have used Calman previously but debating switching to Chromapure. I have seen calibration reports from a few respected national traveling calibrators and they have started with color temp high on the mits so i was curious as to the reasoning's as low does measure closer to 6500K out of the box. Im assuming you use bright for lamp mode to increase ftL? On my 73" i can easily achieve the desired ftL on standard. Im looking forward to seeing what you find regarding color saturation.

With this tv the only way to calibrate it without the use of a separate processor like gtgray has is to use the adv modes. When mits put the gray scale controls in the user menu they took them out of the SM. with the old mits dlps you could really start with any of the color settings as you could change each of them to be on. When I had the 62725 I set all three color temps to the same settings so no matter which one was chosen it was right. :-)
post #1821 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 08:09 PM

I'm watching "The Voice" tonight on my 92" and although the color & sharpness look great, it's a little dark. Is there anyway to adjust the gamma in the basic settings? I have Contrast all the way up (63) and wish it could go a little higher. I don't wan't to turn the brightness up any more because it lightens up the whole picture including the whites (which look good). On most shows (especially outdoor scenes) the picture is absolutely perfect (to me anyway) but there are certain shows that are just too dark. If there's not a gamma setting in the basic settings, is there anything else I could try?
Thanks
post #1822 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 08:20 PM

Quote:

I got my 3rd random shutoff after the SuperBowl on Sunday night. The green lights blinked rapidly and I jumped up to check the back of the set...no light...no fan. This time I turned the TV back on, immediately, and it powered right back on. I watched for another 45 minutes, or so, and turned it off and it went through it's regular shutdown routine. The set had been on for just about 12 hours on the dot.

Very alarming. 3 random shutoffs in a month's time...can't be a good sign.

I'm going to call Mitsubishi tomorrow and see what they have to say.

Isaac, I hope you haven't had this happen to you, again. BTW...the game looked FANTASTIC on my 82740 and I had no picture issues that I've seen noted in this thread, but I take my local channels over the air.

Dee,
I have not had the issue of the random shut off occur since the first two weeks of use. Of course, the only difference between your shut off and mine was that my fan and bulb were still active when the shut off occured. Seeing as we both have about a foot of clearance from the back for airflow, it doesn't sound like an over heat issue. The longest I've been able to run the TV for the past two weeks was just over 8 and 1/2 hours.
As for the picture and resolution for the Super Bowl last night, yes it was incredible and no, I did not have any of the digital pixelation issues or blocking that others have reported. I will occasional see that on other channels during varying sporting events (primarily CBS) but that was also seen on my previous Mits WD 65736 and I also see it on my LCD in the bedroom too. My opinion is that it is most likely due to the signal of various station affiliates....my NBC affliate here in Amarillo, TX is KAMR and golf, hockey, basketball, football, etc has a great signal and resolution. The local ABC and FOX are great as well (rare pixelation/blocking). CBS is the only one where some improvement is possible.

Isaac
post #1823 of 3991 Old 02-06-2012, 08:29 PM

Quote:

Thanks, DR... I just got off the phone with Mitsu support. He didn't seem the least bit worried about my software version. I'll do the upgrade via thumb driver here a little later. He said the software version had nothing to do with the shutoffs.

He said what we all can intuitively figure out through common sense without being technical whatsoever...he merely said the bulb was getting overheated and that I should place a fan back in the area to dissipate the heat. I thought of doing that and I guess I'll now actually do it. I think I'll turn the fan on if I'm getting up around 10 hours of viewing. Funny, but my TV is not in an area where there should be a build up of heat. I've got decent distance from the wall.

I did ask what damage could be done to the set and he said absolutely none and then added all it does is shorten the bulb life!!!! That's all???? I told him that was a big deal to me. I hope this bulb goes before my year is up so I can have them replace it for me.

A great set with this issue I guess is manageable for me.

Dee,
I too am not sure how much the firmware version would have with the shut off issue but it could be, as was mentioned, some kind of auto-shut off bug. If it helps, my firmware version is 13.04.

Isaac
post #1824 of 3991 Old 02-07-2012, 03:42 PM

I asked this question in 640 thread yesterday.

If any of you had it to do over, would you still get your 2011 model? The reason I ask is that I wanted a 73640 or 73740 but now I really don't know. Reading so many posts from thhowl and others has me gun shy. The only other hdtv I would look at would be a 60" or 65" panisonic plasma ST model. But that camp is not very happy with their sets either
post #1825 of 3991 Old 02-07-2012, 03:58 PM

Yes is my answer. It seems a vocal few can really scew the perspective when it comes to expressing opinions on boards...
I was considering the 70" sharp, but for about half the cost I got a bigger unit that is also 3d capable.
post #1826 of 3991 Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC60 View Post

I asked this question in 640 thread yesterday.

If any of you had it to do over, would you still get your 2011 model? The reason I ask is that I wanted a 73640 or 73740 but now I really don't know. Reading so many posts from thhowl and others has me gun shy. The only other hdtv I would look at would be a 60" or 65" panisonic plasma ST model. But that camp is not very happy with their sets either

Yes, I would!

You have to remember that most folks only come here searching for help when they have a problem. I would say that the majority of owners just buy it and take it home and enjoy it, so we never hear from them.

I myself, have great geometry, no shut-offs, basic picture changes by me, etc. I just happen to love following avsforums on things I own. If not, I would not know that 13.05 enabled VUDU 3D streaming on my 73740.

My only regret is buying mine too soon. If I had waited a few weeks, I could have gotten the 82" for a much better price.
post #1827 of 3991 Old 02-07-2012, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBC60 View Post

I am very happy with my 73740. I see none of the "issues" discussed in the 640 thread and I am anal about picture quality. I'm not suggesting the 640 problems others are experiencing are not real, just that they are not present in my set and if they were common on the 740/840 series I think we would be hearing about them here.

The other set I considered was the Panasonic 65" plasma and compared the picture quality nearly side-by-side. The Panny had more vibrant color and more contrast, but it was a grand more than the Mits. The pluses on the Pany were not significant enough that I would pay a $1000 more to get them.
post #1828 of 3991 Old 02-07-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranger41 View Post

I am very happy with my 73740. I see none of the "issues" discussed in the 640 thread and I am anal about picture quality. I'm not suggesting the 640 problems others are experiencing are not real, just that they are not present in my set and if they were common on the 740/840 series I think we would be hearing about them here.

The other set I considered was the Panasonic 65" plasma and compared the picture quality nearly side-by-side. The Panny had more vibrant color and more contrast, but it was a grand more than the Mits. The pluses on the Pany were not significant enough that I would pay a $1000 more to get them.

Ranger41, as gtgray voiced in the 640 thread, we would really like to know for sure if there are other 2011 sets that do not have the problem when Sharpness is turned off (or near zero), because, if there are such sets, we will be able to get Mitsubishi to fix ours. Would you please help us "vocal few", anal about picture quality, confirm your report of not having the problem by burning and playing the test ISO I provided? If you have a PC or laptop you can connect, a quicker test is to use one of the test images. I can point you to it, if needed.

Thank you!

|
|
2011 Mits DLP owners: upgrade firmware to 13.06 to fix picture quality. More here: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...3#post21726833
post #1829 of 3991 Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thhowl View Post

Would you please help us "vocal few", anal about picture quality, confirm your report of not having the problem by burning and playing the test ISO I provided? If you have a PC or laptop you can connect, a quicker test is to use one of the test images. I can point you to it, if needed.

Thank you!

I'll be happy to. Probably be tomorrow evening before I can report back.
post #1830 of 3991 Old 02-07-2012, 04:51 PM

Can anyone provide advice on the doing a firmware upgrade. Have a 73740, with 13.04, trying to upgrade to 13.05. I have the file on a thumb drive. I unplugged the tv, installed thumb drive, plugged TV back in. Green light flashed for 30-40 secs, then went out. TV never came on. I waited a few minutes, removed the thumb, and unplugged/plugged TV back in. Still showing 13.04 Tried twice with no luck. What is the unzipped file size? Just wondering if there was a problem unzipping it? My .utv file is showing 30,310 kb, when unzipped.

Any suggestions?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page