post #2311 of 3975 Old 03-13-2012, 11:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 421
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

LINK TO PICS (August 2006 - where does the time go?)

I previously had a CRT-based RPTV before getting the Samsung DLP LED-based RPTV and the blacks were shockingly brighter and more grey that I was previously use to (at night with the lights off, a fade to black on the CRT-based set would stop you in your tracks if you were trying to walk anywhere at the time because you couldn't see anything).
With the Samsung, and now 2 Mits DLP's later (currently own the WD-92840), I use back bias lighting. I guess you grow more accustomed to it. People have said you get 'accustomed' to the rainbow effect over time and see it less. I didn't really believe it at first but it seems to actually be true as I literally can't remember the last time I saw it. I'm not trying to make excuses for DLP's limitations or anything - just saying.

I got use to it and cant remember the last time I saw it as well
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2312 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 06:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

... People have said you get 'accustomed' to the rainbow effect over time and see it less. I didn't really believe it at first but it seems to actually be true as I literally can't remember the last time I saw it. I'm not trying to make excuses for DLP's limitations or anything - just saying.

I've now had four Mitsubishi DLPs starting with the 62525 back in 2004 and I've never seen the "rainbow effect" since day one.

lujan
670 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #2313 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 08:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Some other people are just plain fortunate. I never saw it on the LED-based (no color wheel) Samsung DLP I had, only on the color wheel Mits. and then only with high contrasting images like white text/lines on a black background, highlights within a dark scene, lights like a flash light in a dark scene, etc. It's known that the rainbow effect is not perceived by everyone and then too by degrees in between seeing it and not seeing it at all.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2314 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by lujan View Post

I've now had four Mitsubishi DLPs starting with the 62525 back in 2004 and I've never seen the "rainbow effect" since day one.

You're lucky!

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiofan1 View Post

I got use to it and cant remember the last time I saw it as well

I hope that's the case for me... Every time I play Skyrim I see it on the loading screens (black background with white text) if I move my head a certain way. I can't "make it happen" but it happens a lot more than I like.
I know I mentioned it before, but the part in Cowboys and Aliens where they are going into the dark cave with a torch was the absolute worst for rainbow effect - I almost had to turn it off...

-Aaron

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #2315 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
I have to say that I have always wondered if I was super-susceptible to the rainbow effect.

I see it occasionally on my TV (73740), but saw it more often on the previous one (62525).

I also notice that I see what I consider to be a similar effect when I am following a car with LED taillights (late model Cadillacs) are good example. If I move my head or move my eyes, I can see what I call a "pulse" effect - where I can see an interrupted streak of light. It is hard to explain - imagine a single LED that is illuminated... If I move my eyes while looking at this LED, it creates a line of light that actually looks like a dotted line.

This is caused by the fact that the LED is being rapidly pulsed to generate the desired level of brightness (a higher duty cycle with more "on" time creates a brighter light and a low duty cycle with less "on" time creates a dimmer light).

I am curious whether people who see this "pulse" effect are also susceptible to the rainbow effect. I tried to see if my wife can see either of them, and she says "no".
post #2316 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Yeah - my wife doesn't see the rainbow effect either, and thinks I'm making it up.

-Aaron

post #2317 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTAaron View Post

Yeah - my wife doesn't see the rainbow effect either, and thinks I'm making it up.

I think mine is indifferent, and just says no so I won't ask these kinds of questions anymore!
post #2318 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

My family and friends have never mentioned seeing anything out of the ordinary. I haven't expressly told them anything about the rainbow effect either so they don't know what it is or what to look for.

post #2319 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 12:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiff72 View Post

I think mine is indifferent, and just says no so I won't ask these kinds of questions anymore!

I'm thinking that may be more the case

I wish I hadn't heard about it before I got the TV, because I actually sat there "trying" to see if I was going to be able to see it or not... and magically I saw it!

-Aaron

post #2320 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 12:16 PM
AVS Special Member

That was me. Coming off the color wheel-less Samsung I got the cheapest 73" Mits I could find at the time (was always planning to eventually get the 92" when it was released) just to see if I would see the rainbow effect. Sure enough, within less than a minute I saw it in the Sony Blu-ray player menu with it's white text on a dark background. So it didn't take me long at all to know for sure if I would see it after reading about it for years.

post #2321 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 12:23 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As to the HDMI3 input problem with Harmony remotes. Found the procedure to put the Mits remote into direct access mode that will transmit the code so it can be learned by the Harmony (on the Logitech forum site). But the remote they show is not the current remote. My current remote does not have an "Activity" button!

Does anyone have an updated procedure?

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
Yamaha RX-V371 A/V Receiver
HR-34 DirecTv DVR and HD-31 Extender Receiver
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BD Player
Win 8.1 Home Built Computer
Win 8.1 HTPC Gaming Computer
post #2322 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 02:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck666 View Post

As to the HDMI3 input problem with Harmony remotes. Found the procedure to put the Mits remote into direct access mode that will transmit the code so it can be learned by the Harmony (on the Logitech forum site). But the remote they show is not the current remote. My current remote does not have an "Activity" button!

Does anyone have an updated procedure?

If that is referring to the Harmony remote, the activity button is probably the button corresponding "Watch TV" or "Watch a DVD" or something like that?
post #2323 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 03:36 PM

No, it was on the earlier Mits remote. 2009 version.

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
post #2324 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 04:19 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
The ACTIVITY key is the same as the INPUT key now however I think the instructions are slightly different. I saw this somewhere and saved it, but I forgot where.

Procedure to program the remote for special direct access functions:
1. Set the control mode to TV, press the TV key at the top of the remote control. Not necessary for 2011 Remote Control.

2. Press and hold the POWER key until red indicator in the POWER key flashes twice then release the POWER key.

3. Enter, in sequence, the code number 0, 0, 0, 9, 0. The red indicator will flash twice after the first 0 and then flash twice again after the final 0 to confirm a successful code entry.

Button Function
Single Press Functions

POWER - Power ON only.
STOP - Power OFF only.
PAUSE - AV RESET (resets audio and video adjustments).

Dual Press Functions - Direct Input Selection

INPUT Used in combination with number button or other direct access buttons shown below for direct input selection.

DIRECT ACCESS BUTTONS.
#1 - Used with INPUT to select INPUT-1
#2 - Used with INPUT to select INPUT-2
#3 - Used with INPUT to select INPUT-3
#5 - Used with INPUT to select INPUT-1
#6 - Used with INPUT to select INPUT-2
#7 - Used with INPUT to select INPUT-3
#9 - Used with INPUT to select ANT
REW - Used with INPUT to select HDMI-1
FF - Used with INPUT to select HDMI-2
Play - Used with INPUT to select HDMI-3
#0 - Used with INPUT to select HDMI-4

Dual Press Functions - Direct Screen Format Selection (note the signal type)

INFO Used in combination with number buttons shown below for direct screen format selection.

DIRECT SCREEN FORMAT BUTTONS
#1 - Used with INFO to select STANDARD screen format (both SD and HD).
#2 - Used with INFO to select EXPAND screen format (SD 4:3 only) or WIDE EXPAND screen format (16:9 SD and HD).
#3 - Used with INFO to select ZOOM screen format (both SD and HD).
#4 - Used with INFO to select STRETCH screen format (SD 4:3 only).
#5 - Used with INFO to select STRETCH PLUS screen format (SD 4:3 only).
#6 - Used with INFO to select NARROW screen format (SD 4:3 only).
#7 -Used with INFO to select WIDE EXPAND screen format (SD 16:9 digital antenna & HD only).

Procedure for direct input or screen format selection:
1. Press INPUT to select inputs or press INFO to select screen format.
2. Within a few seconds, press the number key or transport key shown above that corresponds to the desired input or screen format.

IMPORTANT: When using this remote control as an original source remote control to program a “learning” remote control or Home Automation control system, the INPUT and INFO keys do not send signals. These buttons are used simply as a “switch”
function to prepare the remote control to send the correct input or format signal when the following number key or other specified key is pressed.

Procedure to return the remote control to normal consumer functions.1. Set the control mode to TV, press TV button at the top of the remote control. Not necessary for 2011 Remote Control.

2. Press and hold the POWER key until control mode indicator (TV) flashes twice then release the POWER key.

3. Enter in sequence the code number for the 2010 remote control 0, 0, 9, 3, 5 or 0, 0, 0, 0, 0 for the 2011 remote control. The indicator will flash twice after the first 0 and then flash twice again after the final 5 to confirm a successful code entry.
post #2325 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 06:22 PM

I bought a 92840 for the Super Bowl and absolutely love it. I have a question about using the TV speakers in center channel mode. My Denon 1712 AVR does not have pre-outs. Is there any workaround that would allow me feed the center channel signal to the TV. The TV is so big, it is difficult to position my Martin Logan center channel speaker in a attractive location that works well from an audio point of view.
post #2326 of 3975 Old 03-14-2012, 06:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked: 50
On my 73640 I saw the rainbows like crazy at first. Then I used a few things from the AVS HD 709 calibration set. http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=948496 Once I set the Brightness and Contrast to the Black & White clipping vids 95% of the rainbows went away. Now I really only see it on subtitles, which doesn't bother me as bad as before since they can be turned off.

(Mitsubishi, MartinLogan, Marantz, DIYMA, and others)

post #2327 of 3975 Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 AM

Hi everyone. I currently have a 2009 model WD-73837 which I absolutely love. I took a 5 year extended service warranty and until 3 months ago never had a problem. In the last three months, I had a bulb go bad three times. I am thinking to push them to get it replaced with the current WD-73840 model. The million dollar question is: is it better??? I don't care about "smart TV" features, just the PQ. Also heard about some defects people are talking about. Can I just hook up a 3D BD player + glasses to get 3D or do I need an adapter (which I do for my 2009 model)?
post #2328 of 3975 Old 03-15-2012, 08:23 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by cx3gma View Post

Can I just hook up a 3D BD player + glasses to get 3D or do I need an adapter (which I do for my 2009 model)?

No offense to you but I answer this question weekly. Look up DLP LINK, get optoma ZD101 glasses and go.

Cool Beans.
post #2329 of 3975 Old 03-15-2012, 10:10 AM

^ I will research this more, I just wanted to know if the new DLPs were more 3D ready then my 2009 one (which requires an adapter). Thanks
post #2330 of 3975 Old 03-15-2012, 10:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cx3gma View Post

^ I will research this more, I just wanted to know if the new DLPs were more 3D ready then my 2009 one (which requires an adapter). Thanks

Yes, the 73840 will have a built in emitter - you can just pick up some Xpand 103 universal glasses and you will be good to go!

-Aaron

post #2331 of 3975 Old 03-15-2012, 11:02 AM

Great, thanks. I suppose overall pq and built quality is also not inferior to my 3 year old set.
post #2332 of 3975 Old 03-15-2012, 01:21 PM

Thanks GEP, that's what I needed.

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
post #2333 of 3975 Old 03-16-2012, 06:09 PM

I got a 73740 not too long ago and have been trying to calibrate it using the Disney WOW disk. I was trying to adjust the contrast and i am getting white clipping. Has anyone else experienced this and what did they do to solve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rich
post #2334 of 3975 Old 03-16-2012, 09:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich9132 View Post

I got a 73740 not too long ago and have been trying to calibrate it using the Disney WOW disk. I was trying to adjust the contrast and i am getting white clipping. Has anyone else experienced this and what did they do to solve this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Rich

I had a problem with this when calibrating with my BR player going through my AVR - apparently it doesn't pass "whiter than white" or "blacker than black". I plugged my BR player straight into the TV and all of the black and all of the white showed up properly with all of the patterns...

Don't know I'd you are sending the signal through an AVR first or not - but if you are you may have the same problem I did...

-Aaron

post #2335 of 3975 Old 03-19-2012, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP32 View Post

...I can clearly see the bug when your sharpness is at 0. Like you said, its the worst of the 3.

See how its all smudged? That's not legitimate need of sharpness, as you can compare other numbers of similar size will not be smudgy like that. (for instance, my PS3 will display info -- white text on black background -- that is not smudged.

I will post pics myself soon, just to show other numbers on the same screen and how sharp they are, even with 'sharpness' at 0.

Thank you for confirming the issue on your set as well, Lujan.

Firmware 13.06 is said to fix this issue. Anyone test it yet?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #2336 of 3975 Old 03-19-2012, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Firmware 13.06 is said to fix this issue. Anyone test it yet?

I did earlier this evening on my WD-73840. Seems to work - I appear to be getting the same "cleaner" look with the new firmware, without having to result to the 3d-checkerboard hack (I'm running my sharpness at 0).

I originally posted my findings in the defect thread:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...4#post21800624
post #2337 of 3975 Old 03-20-2012, 06:00 AM

Has anyone done the 13.06 update in automatic internet mode? I either misreading the onscreen instructions or I am very dense? No joy yet?

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
post #2338 of 3975 Old 03-20-2012, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

I haven't had much luck with the auto update: trying to get it to work myself. However, my set was updated to 13.05 without my involvement so it must work. I remember seeing the 13.05 and thinking I was suppose to be at 13.04 and of course immediately posting on AVS Forum to ask what the latest version was.

I tried to "test connection", turn the HDTV off for 30 minutes, etc. without luck. I went ahead and downloaded the 13.06 ZIP file and installed it via USB stick. It's installed.

Anyone know for sure what all was updated/changed? There might have been a text file included with the ZIP but I can't remember.

post #2339 of 3975 Old 03-20-2012, 07:50 AM

It has to do with the color bleed issue mentioned above. There is also a separate entry for that issue on the main page.

The autoupdate may be a roll out issue, like others I'be seen from DirecTV. It does not go out to everyone at once. Just a guess?

I've tried going to the internet with the remote and turning off. My hard wired connection was maintained for about 10 minutes before it disconnected as I looked at my router. No change wit that method.

This time, I went to setup and reconnected the internet even though it was connected and turned off with the menu screen on. As I watch the router, the connection is on the same 10 minutes as before. I'll a few more minutes and check? No Joy. I guess I'll wait a day or two and then do manual.

Did the manual unpdate; couldn't wait any longer, ha. 13.06 is a must for all of us. Much chrisper text. ESPN bleed is GONE!!!!!!! Now, waiting for the calibrators to update their settings for us newbiew. PLEASE.

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
post #2340 of 3975 Old 03-20-2012, 01:52 PM

The text file in the firmware zip just stated the firmware #... nothing else. (unless I'm doing something wrong).

It does seem to fix the problem... but now I'm wondering if I'm seeing high sharpness effects... maybe I'm just paranoid, lol.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page