Forum Jump: 

post #2551 of 3975 Old 04-23-2012, 04:08 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LugNutX View Post

The concern I still haven't addressed is the viewing angle. The more I read through this thread, the less of an issue I think it will be...however, I'm still worried about the top of the picture being noticeably darker than the bottom, as my eyes will hit the screen about 25% of the way up instead of dead center. Any thoughts? I'm probably making a bigger deal out of this than I need to

Buying site-unseen can be difficult! Thanks again.

I haven't noticed much variation in the picture while walking around the room while the TV is on. When I'm lying on the couch I'm probably level with the lowest 25% of the screen and I don't notice any picture degradation.

I'm surprised your local HH Gregg doesn't have these sets. I bought mine at HH Gregg and they had the 73", 82" and 92" on display. If you just spoke to someone on the phone who told you they don't sell them you may want to stop by the store in case they just didn't know what they were talking about.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2552 of 3975 Old 04-23-2012, 07:32 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by krispytoast View Post

Does anyone know when and if the 2012 Mits DLPs will come out?

I can get the 82840 for $2199...I don't know whether to wait for the 2012 DLPs to come out or not.

The only reasons I can think of to wait for the 2012 units is:
To get a discount on 2011 stock
If the 2012 units are supposed to have LED lamps
Or if they're going to use a native 1080 chip rather than wobulating (note that I don't have a problem with wobulation)

$2199 is a fine price, it's $50 cheaper than I paid last month.
post #2553 of 3975 Old 04-23-2012, 07:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
24p may be part of it. I think mine looks great now with the firmware update fix and while using the Mitsubishi-branded Xpand X103's. Fast motion and 24p can still have big 'gaps' with or without the glasses.

As for the 3Active and TrueDepth 3D glasses made expressly for the 740/840 series Mitsubishi HDTV's, I have others issues with noticeable color shift at different angles (turning of head left/right, up/down - more so than other glasses of which all have some degree because of how they are made). Also, there is a weird effect the 3Active/TrueDepth 3D glasses produce with certain fine color gradient shades.

Read my findings here in this thread.

Despite those quirks, fast motion appears pretty good to me now with fast motion in 3D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I hate to quote myself, but i never got a reply to either of the above questions. I have watched a couple more 3D movies now, and I have tried to educate myself on the terminology, but I am finding very little mention of this flickering effect I am seeing. But it has happened on pretty much any content that moves very quickly on the screen while in 3D mode.

This article: http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/3d-tv-explained.html mentions the effect in this context: So they say resolved, but I'm experiencing it. Is it the glasses? Is it the TV? Could it be something in my HDMI chain? I am running a Denon AVR-3311CI which has HDMI 1.4a.

I also wanted to throw out there that I am aware of what "ghosting" is, and I am not having any ghosting issues. This is a flicker on anything moving across the screen quickly... and has nothing to do with how deep the 3D effect is. But it only happens in 3D mode. When things are moving slowly on the screen the 3D is spectacular. But it's really hard to watch a fast action sequence.
Here is my entire (relevant) setup:

PS3
to
Denon AVR-3311CI
to
WD-73740
to
3ACTIVE glasses

I have experimented with the 3D settings on the TV, and the Blu-ray settings on the PS3. I guess I should play with the video processor on the receiver more. But I just wanted to see if anyone here has the same issue.

Also, the OSD of the TV is obviously not going through the Denon, and it looks terrible when my TV is in 3D mode, so is that normal?

Otherwise I am very happy with the TV.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2554 of 3975 Old 04-23-2012, 09:12 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alkohallick View Post

Yes those will work

Attachment 244302

If use the regular X-103, make sure you use the Pansonic setting. The X-103 have been out for a few years and when they were introduced, Mitsubishi was using the same IR protocol as Samsung so the Mitsubishi/Samsung setting was the correct setting. Since that time, Mitsubishi changed to Panasoinc protocol. The Xpand instuctions have not changed.
post #2555 of 3975 Old 04-23-2012, 09:18 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by [KYA]Mega View Post

I hate to quote myself, but i never got a reply to either of the above questions. I have watched a couple more 3D movies now, and I have tried to educate myself on the terminology, but I am finding very little mention of this flickering effect I am seeing. But it has happened on pretty much any content that moves very quickly on the screen while in 3D mode.

This article: http://lcdtvbuyingguide.com/hdtv/3d-tv-explained.html mentions the effect in this context: So they say resolved, but I'm experiencing it. Is it the glasses? Is it the TV? Could it be something in my HDMI chain? I am running a Denon AVR-3311CI which has HDMI 1.4a.

I also wanted to throw out there that I am aware of what "ghosting" is, and I am not having any ghosting issues. This is a flicker on anything moving across the screen quickly... and has nothing to do with how deep the 3D effect is. But it only happens in 3D mode. When things are moving slowly on the screen the 3D is spectacular. But it's really hard to watch a fast action sequence.
Here is my entire (relevant) setup:

PS3
to
Denon AVR-3311CI
to
WD-73740
to
3ACTIVE glasses

I have experimented with the 3D settings on the TV, and the Blu-ray settings on the PS3. I guess I should play with the video processor on the receiver more. But I just wanted to see if anyone here has the same issue.

Also, the OSD of the TV is obviously not going through the Denon, and it looks terrible when my TV is in 3D mode, so is that normal?

Otherwise I am very happy with the TV.

I too see a little 3/2 judder in motion (a studdering effect) but not a flicker (bright/dark effect). As for the menu quality - yes it is lower when receiving a 3D signal - this is normal. I think it may have to do with needed to create two 1/2 resolution menu to mix together when showing 3D. The main TV 2D menus might have been out of sync with the 3D processing.
post #2556 of 3975 Old 04-23-2012, 11:19 AM

Liked: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wesley Hester View Post

24p may be part of it. I think mine looks great now with the firmware update fix and while using the Mitsubishi-branded Xpand X103's. Fast motion and 24p can still have big 'gaps' with or without the glasses.

I did try toggling the 24p setting on my PS3, but it did not seem to help. Since the source material is 24 FPS, I didn’t really expect it to help. On the other hand 24 goes evenly into 120Hz, and with 3D, we are reduced to 60Hz per eye, and 24 does not divide evenly there, so maybe I should give it another go with 24p off.
Quote:

As for the 3Active and TrueDepth 3D glasses made expressly for the 740/840 series Mitsubishi HDTV's, I have others issues with noticeable color shift at different angles (turning of head left/right, up/down - more so than other glasses of which all have some degree because of how they are made). Also, there is a weird effect the 3Active/TrueDepth 3D glasses produce with certain fine color gradient shades.

Read my findings here in this thread.

Despite those quirks, fast motion appears pretty good to me now with fast motion in 3D.

I read that entire thread. Very enlightening. I have not noticed any color shifts, but I only have the 3ACTIVE glasses, therefore I cannot do any A/B testing. But if I saw anything as dramatic as your screen shots, I would have noticed. I have not watched any full-length computer animated movies yet, but I have a couple so I’ll see if I have that issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post

I too see a little 3/2 judder in motion (a studdering effect) but not a flicker (bright/dark effect). As for the menu quality - yes it is lower when receiving a 3D signal - this is normal. I think it may have to do with needed to create two 1/2 resolution menu to mix together when showing 3D. The main TV 2D menus might have been out of sync with the 3D processing.

It is starting to worry me that my problem may be some bad hardware (or combination). But how to determine the cause is troubling. I guess I can eliminate my receiver by bypassing it, but otherwise I have no way to determine if it’s the PS3, TV, or glasses. I am pretty sensitive to judder, in fact I wish the standard for movies was much higher than 24 FPS because even with 24p mode pans have never looked as smooth as I would like. But the litmus test is my family. I have specifically tried to make my wife aware of the limitations of 24 FPS by demonstrating it with a scene having a horizontal pan with lots of vertical lines (like buildings) and it took her a lot of effort to notice. But with this “flickering” problem she pointed it out to me. I also asked my oldest daughter if she notice the action flickering and she said yes.

So I can say with some degree of confidence that what I am seeing is not normal judder or simply the limitations of 24 FPS. It is most noticeable with something like an open flame, which there are lots of in Thor and Immortals (two of the movies I have watched). But it really only bugs me when I’m trying to follow a fast action sequence and the actors are shimmering so bad it is hard to see their movements clearly. Watching the same scene in 2D is still affected by the low frame rate of film, but not nearly as bad.

The best way to describe what I am seeing is: We have an LED clock that looks really weird when the 3D glasses are active. It is almost like that effect but just on the objects in the picture that are moving. The faster the movement, the worse it gets.

-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #2557 of 3975 Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiamondDave View Post

I haven't noticed much variation in the picture while walking around the room while the TV is on. When I'm lying on the couch I'm probably level with the lowest 25% of the screen and I don't notice any picture degradation.

I'm surprised your local HH Gregg doesn't have these sets. I bought mine at HH Gregg and they had the 73", 82" and 92" on display. If you just spoke to someone on the phone who told you they don't sell them you may want to stop by the store in case they just didn't know what they were talking about.

Dave - thanks for the feedback.

I know there is definitely a "sweet spot" on typical DLP sets, but I assume the downsides of sitting slightly above/below this area are probably somewhat exaggerated on a site of enthusiasts with a critical eye. I'm hoping that even if I do notice any degradation, it will be minimal (or at least something I'll quickly adapt to).

I suppose I could always get a shorter TV stand down the road if I absolutely can't handle it, but I'm probably testing the wife's patience after purchasing two within the last year.

I just want to say thanks to everyone again for answering my questions. I placed an order this morning and hope to be the owner of a 82740 shortly! I'm excited to finally (almost) get back to where I was with the projector/92" screen a few years ago before we decided to re-purpose the theater room.

Side note - how does DLP handle standard def content? I know it's dependent on a lot of factors, but the cinema-like quality of the sets makes me feel like it's a little kinder to DVD than something like an LCD, which seems to make flaws very pronounced.

post #2558 of 3975 Old 04-24-2012, 09:24 AM

Hello all,
I was wondering if anyone here on the forum has a link to, or knows how remove the screen from a Mits WD 82740? Specifically, how many screws am I looking for and where exactly they are. I have recently developed an issue where the center to bottom half of the screen has a "separation" (for lack of a better term) between the screen protector and the inner lenticular screen. This "separation" is about 10 inches in length by about 6 inches in height and appears as a light gray spot (or a light yellow spot when the light is on) when the TV is off. When it is on, it is not noticeable unless watching darker scenes in a movie/TV show where the colors are faintly overlayed by this spot. Sometimes this spot is smooth and solid, other times it is swirled and inconsistent in shape, but always in the same spot. It is not the signal or light engine because if I gently press the screen where it is located, the spot changes "shape" while I press then returns to it previous shape when I release....again all while the TV is off since it is not noticeable under most viewing circumstances.
On a side note, I have a dimmable light above and in front of the TV on my vaulted ceiling and this spot is brighter when the light is brighter and dimmer when the light is dimmed. I do not think it is a reflection since it is only seen in that one spot and not all over the screen. I had the screen replaced in early February for a screen bowing issue that could not be resolved with geometry correction, etc and even a service tech visit. The new screen corrected that issue and was fine till now. I would rather do it myself than call the service people out again since they are not local and only come into my city (Amarillo, TX) on Tuesday/Thursday....the only days that are extremely difficult to take off from work to be there with them.
Any help would be appreciated from you guys and gals.....

Isaac
post #2559 of 3975 Old 04-25-2012, 05:57 AM

I am still concerned about the glare on the 92 inch in my room because of all the ambient light..
Does the WD73840 have a Matte Finish or Gloss Finish on the screen?
post #2560 of 3975 Old 04-25-2012, 06:19 AM

Isaac, what you're seeing sounds like mirror reflection. On my 73740 it appears as a lighter spot about 9"x4" about 12" up from the bottom of the screen. With the set off of course. It's common to all RPTVs. In a totally dark room it goes away, as this is actually ambient light going into your set and being reflected back out onto the screen. Easy to test for this. With the set off, take a bright flashlight and shine it on the screen close to the spot. If the spot obviously brightens. That's it. Nothing to worry about. Hope that's it as screen disassembly is not a trivial repair.
post #2561 of 3975 Old 04-25-2012, 06:21 AM

opp man, all the 73" sets have a matte screen.
post #2562 of 3975 Old 04-25-2012, 10:40 AM

pmreedjr,
Thanks for the tip. I will definitely try using a flashlight when I get the chance later this afternoon. And if that is it, then no worries as you have said....and it would be great considering that while I do not mind disassembling the screen to fix an issue, it is not my go to option.

Isaac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmreedjr View Post

Isaac, what you're seeing sounds like mirror reflection. On my 73740 it appears as a lighter spot about 9"x4" about 12" up from the bottom of the screen. With the set off of course. It's common to all RPTVs. In a totally dark room it goes away, as this is actually ambient light going into your set and being reflected back out onto the screen. Easy to test for this. With the set off, take a bright flashlight and shine it on the screen close to the spot. If the spot obviously brightens. That's it. Nothing to worry about. Hope that's it as screen disassembly is not a trivial repair.

post #2563 of 3975 Old 04-26-2012, 07:48 AM

I bought the 82 about 6 weeks ago. The tv has randomly shut off 3 times the last two weeks. Green light flashes on and off. Any ideas? Some times the tv is only on for 15 minutes when it does it.
post #2564 of 3975 Old 04-26-2012, 08:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by mit82 View Post

I bought the 82 about 6 weeks ago. The tv has randomly shut off 3 times the last two weeks. Green light flashes on and off. Any ideas? Some times the tv is only on for 15 minutes when it does it.

Symptom #3 on page 41 of the Owner's Manual http://support.mitsubishi-tv.com/fil...-840_IB_v1.pdf

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #2565 of 3975 Old 04-26-2012, 09:32 AM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

Symptom #3 on page 41 of the Owner's Manual http://support.mitsubishi-tv.com/fil...-840_IB_v1.pdf

Cure for said symptom and gives you enough time to power down the TV.(cooling)

http://www.staples.com/CyberPower-AV...1#revs_content

Once I bought my UPS backup with AVR, this stopped happening. (I picked one up 3 days after.) I knew from other posters buying this TV this could be an issue with sensitive electronics on these TV's.(Really old lines in this area. Unstable power.)
I have had the power go out and this UPS gives you enough time to shut down the TV with its cooling cycle. As long as its only the TV plugged in the backup that is. If you need more, obviously buy a bigger unit. But just for TV, it will do nicely.

Cool Beans.
post #2566 of 3975 Old 04-26-2012, 12:26 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
As best I can tell my 82740 is not DLNA compliant? Or, have I missed something?
My XBox is and I can play my PC media thru that connection with Media Player; but, was wondering about thru the TV direct?

Chuck

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
Yamaha RX-V371 A/V Receiver
HR-34 DirecTv DVR and HD-31 Extender Receiver
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BD Player
Win 8.1 Home Built Computer
Win 8.1 HTPC Gaming Computer
post #2567 of 3975 Old 04-26-2012, 01:12 PM
GEP
Advanced Member

DNLA files content will be passed between the source device, such as you PC, and detsination device, in this case your Xbox, via the LAN connection and usually only in your home. Either Ethernet or Wireless. The TV's LAN connection can access ONLY VUDU Apps and Movies. It cannot access the files on your other devices in your home - so no it is not DNLA.
post #2568 of 3975 Old 04-27-2012, 10:34 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
That's what I concluded also. Mits is behind the curve on this newer technology.
Chuck

Mitsbishi 82740 DLP
Yamaha RX-V371 A/V Receiver
HR-34 DirecTv DVR and HD-31 Extender Receiver
Panasonic DMP-BDT210 BD Player
Win 8.1 Home Built Computer
Win 8.1 HTPC Gaming Computer
post #2569 of 3975 Old 04-27-2012, 11:39 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Was there ever a fix to the white flashes on the 3D glasses with these badboys? What is the latest firmware? Thanks
post #2570 of 3975 Old 04-27-2012, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roachforlife View Post

Was there ever a fix to the white flashes on the 3D glasses with these badboys? What is the latest firmware? Thanks

Latest firmware is 13.06 unless a new one has come out in the last few weeks...

I have never seen white flashes on my 3D glasses (got TV in November), how long ago was this a problem?

-Aaron

- actually doing stuff now... please comment!
post #2571 of 3975 Old 04-27-2012, 01:55 PM

My 92 inch and stand comes May 8th totally cant wait ......
2012 Models Now up on Mits Site
New 92 2012 is
WD-92742 Says right on the description that they are the 2012 models
No Clear Contrast
Only 3 HDMI
12 Speaker System not 16/.....

there also is a 82 and 73
post #2572 of 3975 Old 04-28-2012, 02:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by opp man View Post

My 92 inch and stand comes May 8th totally cant wait ......
2012 Models Now up on Mits Site
New 92 2012 is
WD-92742 Says right on the description that they are the 2012 models
No Clear Contrast
Only 3 HDMI
12 Speaker System not 16/.....

there also is a 82 and 73

According to the spec sheet, the WD-92742 does have the Clear Contrast screen. Also the WD-xxC12 models are not listed as 3D.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #2573 of 3975 Old 04-28-2012, 04:34 AM

Walt's has a 92842 product page too. Doesn't show on the Mitsubishi website yet though. Time to watch for firesales on the 92840.

Toshiba 62HM84
Mitsubishi WD-82740
post #2574 of 3975 Old 04-28-2012, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech91060 View Post

Walt's has a 92842 product page too. Doesn't show on the Mitsubishi website yet though. Time to watch for firesales on the 92840.

Ya i got an amazing Deal on mine...
Really intrested in what changes are made on the 92842....
Hope they keep the 16 speakers....
would love to have them add a Matte finish vs the glossy...

Edit
http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/f...742_842_IB.pdf
Owners Manual 842 Series
post #2575 of 3975 Old 04-28-2012, 12:42 PM

Liked: 11
is 2099 a reasonable price for the 82840, or do you think i should wait for a price drop in the next few weeks? i'd hate to wait too long, and see the 82840 inventory vanish.
post #2576 of 3975 Old 04-28-2012, 01:03 PM

Liked: 21
I am considering buying a pair of the Xpand X103 glasses just to see if the "shimmering" effect I see on fast-moving objects is any different.

This is the best price I have found:
http://harriscountytv.com/product/70...ter-d-glasses/

However, I did some research on harriscountytv.com, and according to this:
http://www.scamadviser.com/check-web...iscountytv.com

The domain name has only been active for 14 days. So I'm naturally leery. This is what their "about" page says:
Quote:

Never heard of us before? We have been a top rated brick & mortar store since 2007. We are located in Houston, TX at the Greenspoint Mall. But HarrisCountyTV.com recently opened a website to give customers great deals.

We specialize in Televisions, so if you have any questions feel free to contact. Or stop by our store!

Has anyone here heard of them (the brick & mortar version)?

-
post #2577 of 3975 Old 04-28-2012, 01:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaamz777 View Post

is 2099 a reasonable price for the 82840, or do you think i should wait for a price drop in the next few weeks? i'd hate to wait too long, and see the 82840 inventory vanish.

I think it's a good price as I paid $1,799 for my 82740 and this is only $300.00 more for the Diamond series.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
post #2578 of 3975 Old 04-28-2012, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaamz777 View Post

I would think you can get them to drop it to 1999...
HHGregg had it on for 1699 easter weekend
But i have never seen it like that again
Another angle would be to do the 2099 with 2 pairs of glasses
You got to haggle for sure to get the extra mile deal
post #2579 of 3975 Old 04-28-2012, 06:57 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

thanks for the advice, i'll see if they are willing to work with me a little bit on price.
post #2580 of 3975 Old 04-29-2012, 06:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Quote:

As I understood it, HHGregg only had it for $1,699 as an in store sale only so you had to live nearby. It was probably one of those sales where even if you lived nearby, they ran out of stock once you got there.

lujan
673 Blu-ray
19 HD DVD
7 DVD
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Plasma Hdtv , Lcd Hdtv

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page