AVS Forum banner

2011 Mitsubishi 3D DLP Owners Thread (740/840 series)

488K views 4K replies 415 participants last post by  lbrande 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Interested in these new models as well -- seems like Mits is ready to go but can't find for-sale information or reviews anywhere. Will look forward to hearing about them when they start to drop.

Out of curiosity, are these still lamp-based units? Still the 180watt lamps that were in the 83x series?

#3 ·
I'm thinking of bypassing a large plasma for the family room and going with a 73" model from the 840 series. Looks amazing so far but I've never researched DLP technology. Not sure how it compares to plasma.

Used to have a 55" Mits for several years (55857 I believe...bought it in 2001).

I think I can squeeze a 73" into my entertainment center (specs say it's 65.2" wide...might have to adjust the side pieces by 1/2" on each side)

#4 ·
looking at going bigger then my current 58" Panny plasma. i am thinking that going from plasma to DLP would be a step down in PQ. saw the 2011 82" Mits at local store and they didnt impress at all. guessing the store visual was crap to begin with. The 70" sharp didnt look to bad, but read mixed reviews.

so big question is.. going from plasma back to DLP good or bad?

Scott

#5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac130e /forum/post/20621253

looking at going bigger then my current 58" Panny plasma. i am thinking that going from plasma to DLP would be a step down in PQ. saw the 2011 82" Mits at local store and they didnt impress at all. guessing the store visual was crap to begin with. The 70" sharp didnt look to bad, but read mixed reviews.

so big question is.. going from plasma back to DLP good or bad?

Scott

Depends on how you look at it. The TV's in the stores will always look like crap. Each type of tv has it's pluses and minuses. Some do certain things better than others, while some are worse than others. I would not buy based off of what you see in a store. That's for sure. A good set, whether it be LCD, plasma, or RPTV, will look good as long as it is a good quality product. I wouldn't say that going from a plasma to a DLP is a step down at all. It could be a step up, it all depends on how good the set is in the first place, and what your priorities are in what you are looking for in a set.

#7 ·
Finally.

Interesting that Mitsu has retained the VESA connection on the backpanel for a 3D emitter yet the spec sheet indicates that these sets have an "Internal 3D Glasses IR Emitter" also. So unlike the 2010 models, those choosing IR glasses over DLP Link don't have to have the outboard emitter.

But unless I'm missing it there's no word on Bluetooth compatibility, which is what Samsung's 2011 model SSG-3100 glasses have exclusively embraced. So this may mean that Mitsu's 2011 sets need to be used with last year's SSG-2100 and 2200 glasses, which are discontinued. Off to call Walt's to see what they know.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulGo /forum/post/20629814

The new Mits kits have the xpand glasses that use a different emitter that hopefully is compatible with the Samsung IR glasses.

Thanks, Paul. Yeah the rep I talk to at Walt's mentioned the Xpand 103s as being what they're getting from Mitsu now. Model numbers 3DGEX103 and 3DGX103.

What with the absence of any reference to Bluetooth in the specs (unless I'm missing it), Mitsu has apparently decided to stay the IR course and partner now with Xpand and not follow suit with Sammy's switch to Bluetooth. So now I finally know I need to go get some more SSG-2200s for my 2010 Mitsu display since those are the fave IR design I've used so far.

#11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S /forum/post/20628523

Finally.

Interesting that Mitsu has retained the VESA connection on the backpanel for a 3D emitter yet the spec sheet indicates that these sets have an "Internal 3D Glasses IR Emitter" also. So unlike the 2010 models, those choosing IR glasses over DLP Link don't have to have the outboard emitter.

But unless I'm missing it there's no word on Bluetooth compatibility, which is what Samsung's 2011 model SSG-3100 glasses have exclusively embraced. So this may mean that Mitsu's 2011 sets need to be used with last year's SSG-2100 and 2200 glasses, which are discontinued. Off to call Walt's to see what they know.

That's probably why they kept the VESA port in the back. You can always plug in an adapter for Bluetooth (or RF or a different IR standard) and use other people's active sync glasses.

#12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightowlKY /forum/post/20611092

I'm thinking of bypassing a large plasma for the family room and going with a 73" model from the 840 series. Looks amazing so far but I've never researched DLP technology. Not sure how it compares to plasma.

Used to have a 55" Mits for several years (55857 I believe...bought it in 2001).

I think I can squeeze a 73" into my entertainment center (specs say it's 65.2" wide...might have to adjust the side pieces by 1/2" on each side)

The big disadvantage of DLP is the thickness of the sets. They don't look very cool when hung on the wall.

The big DLP advantage is picture quality. The pixels in a DLP image can be any color that the set can generate. The pixels on LCD or Plasma sets are composites of 3 different colored pixels. There has been a big turnaround over the past 5 or more years. The color fidelity limits for DLP are probably the widest since the only limits are the color fideltiy of a hi tech light bulb and optical filters. Those same issues affect any artificially lit scene anywhere since the DLP bulb and filter technology is the same as used in some of the best theatrical lighting fixtures.

Another DLP advantage is response time, It is way less than a millisecond which is why its the hot tip for 3D.

Cost is generally lower for a given image size, and the practical limit for picture size is mostly based on what they can conveniently ship.

#13 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallen94 /forum/post/20633744

That's probably why they kept the VESA port in the back. You can always plug in an adapter for Bluetooth (or RF or a different IR standard) and use other people's active sync glasses.

But then the question becomes: Does/will Bluetooth "(or RF or a different IR standard)" connectivity for glasses always comport with the VESA standard? It's not my understanding that it necessarily does/will because there is still no broader industry standard for the transmission of the synch signal from the display to the glasses. VESA is entirely voluntary. In other words, I could imagine some manufs' glasses supporting Bluetooth but via connectivity other than VESA. I guess it's too early to conclude anything because Sammy is the first in that Bluetooth space.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/20633863

The big disadvantage of DLP is the thickness of the sets. They don't look very cool when hung on the wall.

You appear to know your stuff so I don't want to get into an (OT) discussion but this purported disadvantage seems like kinda a conundrum to me. Do many guys really hang DLP RPTVs? If so, you're having to tilt it down because you need to have the center of the display at eye level to avoid hot- and cold-spotting: It's a big mirror in there after all.

One of DLP's biggest advantages is size bang for buck. And if you're getting anything 73" or above, why would the unattractiveness of hanging it be countenanced as a liability when technically that size and larger should optimally be level on a table/cabinet no taller than about 18". Unless you've got a reaaaly high couch/viewing position.

If you're looking at 60" and below, get a plasma. Just my 3 cents.

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S /forum/post/20634021

You appear to know your stuff so I don't want to get into an (OT) discussion but this purported disadvantage seems like kinda a conundrum to me. Do many guys really hang DLP RPTVs?

Never seen it done.

Quote:
If so, you're having to tilt it down because you need to have the center of the display at eye level to avoid hot- and cold-spotting: It's a big mirror in there after all.

The screen is a dark grey when turned off. No mirror effect.

Quote:
One of DLP's biggest advantages is size bang for buck. And if you're getting anything 73" or above, why would the unattractiveness of hanging it be countenanced as a liability when technically that size and larger should optimally be level on a table/cabinet no taller than about 18". Unless you've got a reaaaly high couch/viewing position.

I was just saying that I can't see someone hanging a DLP on a wall or from a ceiling. I've never seen it done. I wouldn't think of doing it.

Mine is on a the same TV cabinet that we used with our 31" CRT.

Very pleased!

If you're looking at 60" and below, get a plasma. Just my 3 cents.[/quote]

#19 ·
Is there any information on what DLP chip is being used? Do they still employ wobbulation?

I'm curious for two reasons. If there is wobbulation, then the following is correct(?):

1) 5:5 isn't possible - ie. telecine judder is inevitable?

2) Doesn't this mean it can't do 1080p 3D?

Also, are there measurements available for motion resolution? I haven't seen any metrics for modern DLP at all.

#20 ·
I see in the specs for the 92 incher that it is using the same wattage lamp as my 82738. Not sure if it's the exact same lamp but it has the same specs. My 82 is plenty bright in a light controlled room. Now Mits has made a TV that is 10 inches BIGGER with the same lamp wattage. I wonder how bright the image will be - is???

If that new "Clear Contrast Screen" helps with the image I would be interested in seeing if I could purchase the screen materials and cut them down by hand to fit in the 82 incher to see if it improves the image quality/brightness????

#21 ·
I don't think you're understanding my perspective/point/criticism.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnyk /forum/post/20634266

Never seen it done.

I'd posit that the reason we don't generally see it done is because an informed consumer buying DLP wouldn't be looking to hang it in the first place.

Quote:

The screen is a dark grey when turned off. No mirror effect.

I was/am referring to when the display is on, not off. Because they're not "direct view," the best performance with these displays is achieved when one's eyeline is at the same height as the middle of the screen. The ability to achieve that would be problematized by hanging the set, ostensibly at a height higher than one's head.

Quote:

I was just saying that I can't see someone hanging a DLP on a wall or from a ceiling. I've never seen it done. I wouldn't think of doing it.

Precisely. So my question/criticism therefore is: Why--as the first element of a response to someone inquiring about comparative virtues/demerits of DLP versus plasma--say "The big disadvantage of DLP is the thickness of the sets. They don't look very cool when hung on the wall" when no one in their right mind who understands the virtues of DLP (RPTV) should be looking to hang it in the first place?

And it seems to me the thickness is minimal is any room big enough to accommodate a 73" + display. I think the 73738 is 18" deep and I have it about another 18" away from the wall so I can get back there for connections/wiring and I literally don't notice the thickness anymore when I'm looking at the whole room.

But then again, 73" is looking small to me these days and that 82" is calling my name . . .

#22 ·
Does the 83840 have the same bulb as the 73840?

Does the 73840 have the clear screen (as implied on the Mits press release), but which appears to be contradicted on the detailed specs sheet for the 840 series?

Are there any differences between the 840 series and the 838 series in the DLP chips, video processors, or other features affecting picture quality?

Have any improvements been made in the 840 series to reduce the reliability issues that were raised with many of the previous year's sets?

#24 ·
Just want to throw this out early, but looking at getting the 82840 but thinking initial price will be a factor. would like advise on which might be better..the 82838 or 82740? I know the 740 are not in anyones hands yet, but both are close to same price right now. I like the fact that the 740 has the 3d emiiter built in, but really interested in the picture quality between the two.

I could still go for the 840 if the new contrast screen is a big helper over the lower end models.

Thx

#25 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul.R.S /forum/post/20642457

And it seems to me the thickness is minimal is any room big enough to accommodate a 73" + display.

I think that space in the room isn't the issue when people are looking to wall mount a TV.

[/quote]

I think the 73738 is 18" deep and I have it about another 18" away from the wall so I can get back there for connections/wiring and I literally don't notice the thickness anymore when I'm looking at the whole room.

[/quote]

That 18" allowance seems very exceesive. Mine is only a few inches from the wall.

[/quote]

But then again, 73" is looking small to me these days and that 82" is calling my name . . .
[/quote]

If you want a really large picture, first comes RPTV and then comes the full-tilt projector...