Mitsubishi WD-65C9 Status Light Blinking Red - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
cdela12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I tried to turn on my mitsubishi wd-65c9 this morning and got a few quick green led blinks followed by a sustained blinking red led. I also hear a few clicks, as if the bulb or some other internal piece is trying to turn on but then shuts off. I did a system reset by holding the power button for an extended period of time and also unplugged/replugged the TV into the socket numerous times (waiting about a minute in between). Still gives me a blinking red light.

I'm not sure how this happened, as I would consider the TV lightly used since I bought it back in November of 2009. I tried searching for threads on this TV but there are so many models of mitsubishi DLP TVs that I'm not sure if any of the threads/guides apply to my TV. I was using it just two days ago to play PS3 and it seemed just fine...the bulb was still bright and the picture seemed fine.

If the problem was the bulb, wouldn't the TV dim before it died? Or, could the bulb just go out one day randomly? I'm hoping the problem is simple, but the sudden death of the TV suggests it might be something with the circuitry/parts. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem might be, or would you be able to point me in the right direction? Maybe to a thread that has a TV with similar internal circuitry and repair tips? The nearest repair shop charges a premium just to come out and do an estimate, so I'm trying to avoid that if I can fix this myself.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.
cdela12345 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
 
schan1269's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 2,914
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Typically, just like flashlights and headlights, the bulb will actually get brighter right before it blows.

Your owners manual will tell you what all this means, but being a 2009 TV...pretty safe bet it is the bulb.
schan1269 is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 03:10 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Yea it's probably the bulb, mine died a few days ago and it was similar to how your tv is behaving. It sounds like your bulb blew when you weren't around. Just buy a new bulb.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Hipnotiq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by yadfgp View Post

Yea it's probably the bulb, mine died a few days ago and it was similar to how your tv is behaving. It sounds like your bulb blew when you weren't around. Just buy a new bulb.

solid red led means lamp.
blinking red led means something else.

from mits support page:
Red Blinking LED SOLUTION
  1. Recycle AC power by unplugging the AC cord from the wall power outlet and waiting 60 seconds before reapplying AC to the TV.
  2. If the symptom persists contact Mitsubishi Consumer Relations. Please have the following information ready: Model number, Serial Number, Proof of Purchase
Hipnotiq is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 03:46 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
Crap. Good point. I had missed the part about the fact that it is blinking. Mine was definitely solid when the bulb went out. Sorry about that.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 05:39 PM
Advanced Member
 
ChuckF.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 524
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdela12345 View Post
Hi all,

I tried to turn on my mitsubishi wd-65c9 this morning and got a few quick green led blinks followed by a sustained blinking red led. I also hear a few clicks, as if the bulb or some other internal piece is trying to turn on but then shuts off. I did a system reset by holding the power button for an extended period of time and also unplugged/replugged the TV into the socket numerous times (waiting about a minute in between). Still gives me a blinking red light.

I'm not sure how this happened, as I would consider the TV lightly used since I bought it back in November of 2009. I tried searching for threads on this TV but there are so many models of mitsubishi DLP TVs that I'm not sure if any of the threads/guides apply to my TV. I was using it just two days ago to play PS3 and it seemed just fine...the bulb was still bright and the picture seemed fine.

If the problem was the bulb, wouldn't the TV dim before it died? Or, could the bulb just go out one day randomly? I'm hoping the problem is simple, but the sudden death of the TV suggests it might be something with the circuitry/parts. Does anyone have any idea as to what the problem might be, or would you be able to point me in the right direction? Maybe to a thread that has a TV with similar internal circuitry and repair tips? The nearest repair shop charges a premium just to come out and do an estimate, so I'm trying to avoid that if I can fix this myself.

Thanks for the help, it is much appreciated.
There are a few different ways in which a lamp can fail, and the tv does not always designate its own faults correctly. Start by removing the lamp for inspection. Sometimes a bad lamp looks obviously bad, sometimes not, but it's a start.
ChuckF. is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 06:37 PM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
cdela12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I really hope it is just the bulb, even though the light is blinking red. I guess I'll start with replacing it since that costs almost the same as an estimate from the repair shop.

If the new bulb doesnt fix the problem, am I able to simply return it? I'm planning on buying it from some large retailer, like amazon.

P.S. Are bulb and lamp the same thing? Just making sure
cdela12345 is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 06:44 PM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdela12345 View Post
Thanks for the help, much appreciated. I really hope it is just the bulb, even though the light is blinking red. I guess I'll start with replacing it since that costs almost the same as an estimate from the repair shop.

If the new bulb doesnt fix the problem, am I able to simply return it? I'm planning on buying it from some large retailer, like amazon.

P.S. Are bulb and lamp the same thing? Just making sure
Yes the bulb and lamp are the same , technically it's a lamp when the housing is included. Mits sells them with the housing. As for returning, Amazon would be your best bet, but not if it's a third party seller.
colour is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 06-20-2011, 08:31 PM
AVS Special Member
 
yadfgp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Meridian, Idaho
Posts: 2,072
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked: 42
The blub/lamp is real easy to take out. Just needs a regular old phillips head screw driver. Shouldn't take more than a few minutes to check it to see if it is damaged. A simple visual inspection of it could help you verify if you do need a new lamp/bulb.

1 Mitsubishi WD-82642 82" TV
1 Onkyo TX-NR929 11.4 setup
2 Emotiva XPA-5's
1 Emotiva XPA-100
1 Definitive Technology CLR 3000 (Center)
2 Definitive Technology BP2004TL's (Mains)
2 Definitive Technology ProMonitor 1000's (Heights)
6 Definitive Technology BPX's (Rears Wides Sides)
4 CHT VS-18.1 Subs
yadfgp is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Newbie
 
cdela12345's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just pulled the lamp cartridge out of the back of the TV...it looks spotless. Very shiny and no damage that I can see. I guess it's not the bulb then =[. Has noone else had a red blinking light problem with any of their mitsubishi DLPs? I hate to lose this TV or have to pay a premium to have it fixed (I got it at a pretty good price and hoped it would last longer than year and a half).
cdela12345 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Hipnotiq's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 1,160
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
check for an error code.
i dont recall the exact sequence on that model, but its like press and hold menu and input buttons for 5 seconds.
then count the 2 sets of numbers.
Hipnotiq is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 01:08 PM
Member
 
5Hawkeyes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hate to be the bearer of bad news but my 65737 did the same thing right after it was out of warranty. I tried all the fixes unplugging, changing bulbs, etc., but what Hipnotiq stated earlier is correct. If those don't work you must see the dealer or authorized repairman. I sent mine in to find out it was the mother board which did not sound good. It was going to cost over $900. I talked with Mits customer service and they stepped up and paid the repair bill which was amazing. Hopefully you don't have the same problem, but if so check with Mits to see what they might be able to do for you.
5Hawkeyes is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 06-21-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
colour's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Fenton, Mo.
Posts: 1,752
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Buy the main board for around $100 or so and replace it yourself it's very easy to do. Also, don't know if it's possible if your set won't turn on but have you tried updating the firmware?
colour is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi Wd 65c9 180 Watt Tv Lamp Replacement
Gear in this thread - 65c9 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off