I would really appreciate it if someone can point me in the right direction.....I've already read multiple threads on similar, but not exact symptons, and need some guidance...
1. After ~5 years of running, last week hear a bang, then picture is showing in only 2 colors. We actually watched the rest of the movie in 2 colors.
2. After turning it off, all 3 lights in front were blinking.
3. I think, but don't remember for sure: After I turned it off, I tried turning it back on, but it wouldn't turn back on. Although if I did try this, I never unplugged it first before trying to turn it on, so maybe it needed to be reset.
4. Got a new color wheel and lamp in.
5. Color wheel was more than 3/4 shattered, but lamp looked ok, but figured it was time, and figured just in case because all 3 were blinking.
6. Replaced them, dusted tremendously and looks all new, and had turned over the large unit that holds the lamp, color wheel, etc and shook it a few times turned over to get all the shattered pieces of the color wheel out. The color wheel had shattered to a billion pieces and even with a vacuum could not get everything so that's why I had done that and pieces just kept falling and falling out (all from the color wheel. When I was doing this, the lamp, color wheel was detached. Only after did I realize maybe this was not so good for the light tunnel and/or light engine, etc. There is a small hole underneath where the color wheel fits and a ton had fallen in there, but I got it all out turning it over and moving it side to side etc.
7. Everything was put together and when you turn it on: the lamp light blinks, the color wheel (I believe I can hear spin), the outside fan is spinning, 2 little lights on the board are on, and I hear a click, but the lamp does not turn on at all. Then a few seconds later, again click and tries for about 15 seconds, then once more click and tries for about 15 seconds, and then one of the green lights on the board turns off and I see all 3 lights blinking.
8. Now here are the differences from other threads:
- I'm sure I have the ribbon cable in correctly: the metal conductor pieces are facing the back of the tv and when I was putting it back together, I matched it up with the previous color wheel and also confirmed noticing the the pins matching up with the conducting side of the ribbon.
- I don't hear that chime when you turn the tv on. I have not been able to confirm what that means or if users who had bad ballasts and/or ribbons the wrong way, etc had a chime or not, but I don't have the Samsung chime anymore from the time that I turn on the tv and when it tries and clicks 3 times. It's hard to say where that click is coming from...from some relay somewhere or the ballast or somewhere else.
- Supposedly the ballast one piece turns bright orange and/or glows. I pulled out the ballast while still connected, taped up the safety thing so it works without the cover and turned the tv on with the ballast basically outside the tv and don't see it glowing. Maybe this is a signal that it is a bad ballast? But why no chime then and why would I hear a click if others who don't hear a click typically mean bad ballast?
- After the 3 lights are blinking, pressing on the on/off button does nothing, I need to unplug it for at least a minute or two, then plug it back in to replicate the issue I'm experiencing.
- I tried putting in the old lamp (that was still working when the color wheel shattered) and same exact scenario.
- I rechecked all the wirings and can't find anything loose.
- Next step I guess is to buy a ballast but I don't want to buy something that is ok. I'm hoping me being specific and what I observed could point to what the issue may really be. I also read on another thread a guy found a fuse on the board that says connected to ballast was blown, but I can't find that fuse and maybe the 6168 doesn't have that small fuse.
- I have not checked any meter readings...I actually don't have one in the house nor know how to use it properly. It also didn't seem like using one would very 100% if a ballast was definitely the culprit or not anyway and would just be better off just replacing it just to make sure, but the other symptoms I'm seeing makes me wonder.
Any ideas? Thank you Thank you for any ideas/responses.