Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread - Page 13 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 733 Old 12-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What is the A94 doing while it takes so long to start up? A solid state laser needs no warm-up time. And it is obviously working much sooner than you get the signal as the logo is there a bright and pretty for a long time. Is it just very very slow logic for processing the signal? It think perhaps so because you also can not effectively channel surf because it takes so long to the new channel display. Oddly if in native signal input mode it takes longer still than if set to 1080 mode. Makes me think they have a lot of very slow signal processing circuitry in there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 07:03 AM

So my 5th Laservue just arrived by Manna. Bill of Laiding clearly said for the TV to remain on the skids all the way to my house. TV showed up loose in the back of the truck. Refused the delivery. I'm done. I'm demanding a full refund. Elite here I come.
post #363 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 07:11 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarver View Post

So my 5th Laservue just arrived by Manna. Bill of Laiding clearly said for the TV to remain on the skids all the way to my house. TV showed up loose in the back of the truck. Refused the delivery. I'm done. I'm demanding a full refund. Elite here I come.

Absolutely unbelievable. Sorry to hear that your ongoing frustration with this still hasn't been resolved. You've got a LOT more patience than me though. I probably would have been demanding a refund after the 3rd one arrived with issues. Best of luck to you in getting a refund - I really hope you don't need to get lawyers involved.
post #364 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 07:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 43
What astonishes me about this beyond the sheer incompetency is that Mits does not engage a local authorized reseller to fullfill the replacement order and "white glove" a pristine example into place.

Back in the day at Compaq and HP, if for some reason we had a horror story we would call a dealer who was also service authorized have them fullfill and assure customer sat and then compensate the reseller for the service provided while replenishing their inventory.

Is there anybody with a pulse at Mistubishi customer service.

This is a story that needs to get placed on their (Mits) Facebook page, with plenty of photographs.

Just another blank signature.
post #365 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 07:26 AM

Do the laserview sets all suffer from the almost universal geometry issues that lamp based Mits DLP's do? I have a WD 73833 and have corrected the geometry to an improved but still imperfect level. Every DLP set I have ever seen suffers from vertical bowing visible on 4x3 material or anything having straight lines such as buildings.
post #366 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 07:40 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell View Post

Do the laserview sets all suffer from the almost universal geometry issues that lamp based Mits DLP's do? I have a WD 73833 and have corrected the geometry to an improved but still imperfect level. Every DLP set I have ever seen suffers from vertical bowing visible on 4x3 material or anything having straight lines such as buildings.

Other than making the cabinet impractically deep, there's no getting around geometry issues, so yes.
post #367 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 07:57 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrussell View Post

The geometry on my laservue is much better than the 73xxx model I had (2007 or 2008 diamond model). Its not perfect, but I've never observed curved buildings and never watch 4:3 material so don't know about that.

It does look very good when used as a pc display which I do frequently. Of course I've been using dlp for this function since 2008 and might be conditioned to it.
post #368 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

What astonishes me about this beyond the sheer incompetency is that Mits does not engage a local authorized reseller to fullfill the replacement order and "white glove" a pristine example into place.

Back in the day at Compaq and HP, if for some reason we had a horror story we would call a dealer who was also service authorized have them fullfill and assure customer sat and then compensate the reseller for the service provided while replenishing their inventory.

This is a story that needs to get placed on their (Mits) Facebook page, with plenty of photographs.

I just posted a summary of my story on their Mitsubishi TV facebook page. It was up for all of 30 mins before it was deleted. I'm so f'ing mad right now.
post #369 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 09:04 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

I just posted a summary of my story on their Mitsubishi TV facebook page. It was up for all of 30 mins before it was deleted. I'm so f'ing made right now.

I guess that means someone is paying attention to something. Of course, it would be preferable if that someone was paying attention to customer service so they wouldn't need to worry about having unhappy customers.
post #370 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 12:27 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I just posted a summary of my story on their Mitsubishi TV facebook page. It was up for all of 30 mins before it was deleted. I'm so f'ing mad right now.

They just put it back up.

Edit - spoke too soon, they deleted it again! Inadequate quality control, customer service, and now censorship...winning! Actually, according to one of their posts, they are having technical difficulties (even their Facebook account isn't reliable hahaha) and some posts are not appearing.
post #371 of 733 Old 12-23-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tangledweb View Post

... you also can not effectively channel surf because it takes so long to the new channel display...

Glad you mentioned this. My WD-73840 is also very slow at changing channels (takes about twice as long as my three year old Toshiba LCD) which gets very annoying, and I had wondered if the A94 was the same. I was hoping not, but I guess so. Mits definitely has some improvements to make if they're going to keep up with the competition.
post #372 of 733 Old 12-24-2011, 10:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Quote:

I'll probably be buying a 75"+ early next summer. This just pushes me harder towards an Elite (hoping they have a 80 by then).
post #373 of 733 Old 12-24-2011, 12:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 76
Does anybody know if they are going to refresh the Laservue line for 2012 and show it at CES, or are they pretty much done?

Lowell

Panasonic AE7000

120" Screen

Def Tech PM65s X 2, CS8080, SR8080BP X 4

PSA XS30 X 2

Denon XS4000

Outlaw Audio 7125

post #374 of 733 Old 12-26-2011, 08:37 AM

Compared the Laservue to the Sharp 70" 735U using a couple of BluRay discs and was disappointed by the softness of image on the Laservue.

Wondering if the screen on the Laservue contributes to or causes the softness and if it can be remedied easily.
post #375 of 733 Old 12-26-2011, 10:23 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBoi View Post

Compared the Laservue to the Sharp 70" 735U using a couple of BluRay discs and was disappointed by the softness of image on the Laservue.

Wondering if the screen on the Laservue contributes to or causes the softness and if it can be remedied easily.

The LaserVue can produce sharper images than you have seen by turning off Geometry Correction... the downside is that there may be issues with squareness. Each units native geometery is hidden by the factory adjustments in the Service Menu. The screen on A-94 makes it much sharper than previous generations.

Also keep in mind that critical viewing is usually done in a darkish room. This will increase perceived sharpness as sharpness is often a function of overall contrast. The LaserVue proberly set up will have very good blacks and will have plenty of pop in lighting that allows its excellent blacks to come through. Ideally you would set use bias ligthing behind the set which will further enhance perceived contrast and sharpness.

post #376 of 733 Old 12-26-2011, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:

The LaserVue can produce sharper images than you have seen by turning off Geometry Correction... the downside is that there may be issues with squareness. Each units native geometery is hidden by the factory adjustments in the Service Menu. The screen on A-94 makes it much sharper than previous generations.

Also keep in mind that critical viewing is usually done in a darkish room. This will increase perceived sharpness as sharpness is often a function of overall contrast. The LaserVue proberly set up will have very good blacks and will have plenty of pop in lighting that allows its excellent blacks to come through. Ideally you would set use bias ligthing behind the set which will further enhance perceived contrast and sharpness.

In the standard modes, the sharpness setting also had no effect unless edge-enhance was on. This seems like a firmware bug to me. anyone else notice this?
post #377 of 733 Old 12-27-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:

I tested the Laservue in a nice dark room... I dimmed the lights back and forth and played test BluRay (Aquos demo disc and new Star Trek). I was also able to get into the menu and change the color settings... I also applied some of the settings that buzzard767 posted here. I dont recall making any changes with the Geometric Correction.

The retailer offered the Aquos at a price lower then offered by Amazon but was unwilling to discount the laservue as they were unable to get any discounts from Mits
post #378 of 733 Old 12-28-2011, 03:50 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by LowellG View Post

Does anybody know if they are going to refresh the Laservue line for 2012 and show it at CES, or are they pretty much done?

If they do it will be a 4k2k as in this link:
http://dvice.com/archives/2010/02/just-when-you-t.php
post #379 of 733 Old 12-28-2011, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubear View Post

Interesting. I think Mitsubishi needs to do something like this to keep their product relevant. With cheap LCD's pushing into the 70+" inch space (and soon OLEDs) dlp's are becoming a harder sell.

Another area I've thought might have some promise are "cinemascope" sets (with 2.35:1 screens). Since Mits is trying to appeal to the "home theater" crowd with their large dlps, this might be a good avenue for them as well. And since no one else currently makes one, they would be the only game in town.

It will be interesting to see what they end up doing.
post #380 of 733 Old 12-29-2011, 03:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

And? Did you select Bright which would give you 51 foot Lamberts peak white luminance? How about the Brilliant mode which boosts output to 62 fL and also gives you plenty (understatement) of color saturation. I've read in forums that some people prefer Brilliant but personally I'd have to load up on Dramamine first....

I'm not really sure how to say "I tried all the settings" any more clearly than I already have.
post #381 of 733 Old 12-29-2011, 03:14 AM

Quote:

Reminds me of my recent ordeal trying to get some living room furniture. Two different major retail chains, delivery after delivery, even after going to the store to inspect before delivery, nothing but damaged piece after damaged piece.

People don't take pride in their work anymore.
post #382 of 733 Old 12-29-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:

Excellent suggestion.
post #383 of 733 Old 12-30-2011, 10:19 AM

Quote:

Looks like LG is jumping on the 4k bandwagon also.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/28/l...inging-to-ces/
post #384 of 733 Old 12-30-2011, 10:26 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

Looks like LG is jumping on the 4k bandwagon also.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/12/28/l...inging-to-ces/

it's popular, but Panasonic released this monster earlier this year:
http://www.panasonic.com/business/Pl...-TH-152UX1.asp

now if they could down size it a bit...
post #385 of 733 Old 12-30-2011, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

it's popular, but Panasonic released this monster earlier this year:
http://www.panasonic.com/business/Pl...-TH-152UX1.asp

now if they could down size it a bit...

Power Consumption:

3700W

post #386 of 733 Old 12-31-2011, 08:32 AM

Rick,
In looking at your pictures I noticed four white shadows at the bottom of your screen: One in each corner and two in the middle. I have the same exact four marks on my set which I just received two weeks ago. I was a little concerned with these marks on my set. However, it looks like this is normal for the set. Do you have any idea what these are from? I originally thought they were impressions from the packaging material, but they wouldn't wipe off. It doesn't seem to have any impact on the picture when the set is one. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't a problem with the screen that may get worse over time.
post #387 of 733 Old 01-07-2012, 04:49 AM

Hey Laservue owners...I think I've read through this entire thread by now trying to research the A94. I don't have an A94 anywhere even remotely close to me to try & view it in person so I've really been scouring the internet for tidbits of data points, screenshots, comparisons, etc. to make a decision on whether to go with it. I have seen Mits DLPs in the past & generally did like them when light can be controlled. The interesting thing to me is that the Laservue seems to have a little more tolerance to ambient light and from what I have seen...a breathtaking image quality. And of course, the size is fantastic and what I'm looking for.

My environment is a family room setup that is sort of laid out a bit like a theater room. Its about 12'x24' or so with only 2 windows(w/ thick insulated curtains) on 1 of the 24' sides (spaced about 1/4 from either end). TV would be on the 12' wall and the opposite side of this room opens to the kitchen (love being able to see the TV clearly from the kitchen island as well). Ceiling is flat in the family room at about 7 1/2 '. Seating distance is about 14' and I have a 5.1 setup thru an Onkyo AVR.

Currently has a 50" plasma (I know...way too small but originally sat above the fireplace on the 24' wall...so just fit & looked fine at 10' away lol) so I'm thinking of going to either the 75" A94, 65" Plasma (likely Panny), or possibly 1 of the Sharp 70" or 80" models.

I typically prefer Plasma (comparing equal screen sizes) over LCD/LED but this is what is attracting me to the LaserVue...comparable (or better) video quality to Plasma with the increased size that LCD/LED & DLP have today (well...at a pricepoint thats within budget anyway). Is that a fair way to characterize the A94?

Any other thoughts or feedback? I am debating on whether to pull the trigger on it as I've seen some decent deals/pricematching on them lately. I could also wait a month if pricedrops will happen right after CES but not worried about $100-200 (ok...$300+ sure, lol). Appreciate any thoughts from LaserVue owners or those who have experience with them.
post #388 of 733 Old 01-07-2012, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by max58 View Post

Hey Laservue owners...I think I've read through this entire thread by now trying to research the A94. I don't have an A94 anywhere even remotely close to me to try & view it in person so I've really been scouring the internet for tidbits of data points, screenshots, comparisons, etc. to make a decision on whether to go with it. I have seen Mits DLPs in the past & generally did like them when light can be controlled. The interesting thing to me is that the Laservue seems to have a little more tolerance to ambient light and from what I have seen...a breathtaking image quality. And of course, the size is fantastic and what I'm looking for.

My environment is a family room setup that is sort of laid out a bit like a theater room. Its about 12'x24' or so with only 2 windows(w/ thick insulated curtains) on 1 of the 24' sides (spaced about 1/4 from either end). TV would be on the 12' wall and the opposite side of this room opens to the kitchen (love being able to see the TV clearly from the kitchen island as well). Ceiling is flat in the family room at about 7 1/2 '. Seating distance is about 14' and I have a 5.1 setup thru an Onkyo AVR.

Currently has a 50" plasma (I know...way too small but originally sat above the fireplace on the 24' wall...so just fit & looked fine at 10' away lol) so I'm thinking of going to either the 75" A94, 65" Plasma (likely Panny), or possibly 1 of the Sharp 70" or 80" models.

I typically prefer Plasma (comparing equal screen sizes) over LCD/LED but this is what is attracting me to the LaserVue...comparable (or better) video quality to Plasma with the increased size that LCD/LED & DLP have today (well...at a pricepoint thats within budget anyway). Is that a fair way to characterize the A94?

Any other thoughts or feedback? I am debating on whether to pull the trigger on it as I've seen some decent deals/pricematching on them lately. I could also wait a month if pricedrops will happen right after CES but not worried about $100-200 (ok...$300+ sure, lol). Appreciate any thoughts from LaserVue owners or those who have experience with them.

I would look at the WD-82840 instead for the big price difference. The picture quality difference will be marginal. The LaserVue and the WD-82840 and WD-92840 all share the clear screen. I have the 92840 and with my current calibration is making 44 ft lamberts. That suggest that 82840 should make a heck of a lot of light. There is nothing magical about the LaserVue despite all the bs, there are 3 main plusses for the LaserVue, you don't need to spend $99 every two to three years on a lamp, you will use about $20 less a year in electricity and if you have the set calibrated the LaserVue should ( I say should ) hold calibration longer. So essentially you are buying a much smaller and more expensive set for a modest saving in operating costs. All the hokum about wide picture gamut is so much BS because a calibration will adjust the set to the standard gamut. My 92840 calibrates very well, the 82840 should also easily hit calibration targets and should be very bright even during the daytime.

post #389 of 733 Old 01-07-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:

I would look at the WD-82840 instead for the big price difference. The picture quality difference will be marginal. The LaserVue and the WD-82840 and WD-92840 all share the clear screen. I have the 92840 and with my current calibration is making 44 ft lamberts. That suggest that 82840 should make a heck of a lot of light. There is nothing magical about the LaserVue despite all the bs, there are 3 main plusses for the LaserVue, you don't need to spend $99 every two to three years on a lamp, you will use about $20 less a year in electricity and if you have the set calibrated the LaserVue should ( I say should ) hold calibration longer. So essentially you are buying a much smaller and more expensive set for a modest saving in operating costs. All the hokum about wide picture gamut is so much BS because a calibration will adjust the set to the standard gamut. My 92840 calibrates very well, the 82840 should also easily hit calibration targets and should be very bright even during the daytime.

Thanks for the feedback gtgray. A couple of follow ups if you don't mind answering.

So the LV light source isn't really significantly better than the 82840 beyond just being less apt to diminish & require replacement/recalibration over time then? And the laser(s) vs color wheel part...sounds like the same answer in terms of color capability?

Also, I know this isn't the place to talk pricing (didn't see a RP-specific forum btw) as much but approx difference in cost I'm finding is about $1300 with the A94 at sub-$4k. Does that change the thinking between the 2 (from a picture quality standpoint) or still think its too marginal to justify the cost difference? I don't want to spend more for the A94 if the 82840 produces nearly the same experience (at a slightly larger size) but I also wouldn't want to sacrifice as it is also the daytime TV for the family room (i.e. where I'd watch football today!! lol).
post #390 of 733 Old 01-08-2012, 06:07 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by max58 View Post

Thanks for the feedback gtgray. A couple of follow ups if you don't mind answering.

So the LV light source isn't really significantly better than the 82840 beyond just being less apt to diminish & require replacement/recalibration over time then? And the laser(s) vs color wheel part...sounds like the same answer in terms of color capability?

Also, I know this isn't the place to talk pricing (didn't see a RP-specific forum btw) as much but approx difference in cost I'm finding is about $1300 with the A94 at sub-$4k. Does that change the thinking between the 2 (from a picture quality standpoint) or still think its too marginal to justify the cost difference? I don't want to spend more for the A94 if the 82840 produces nearly the same experience (at a slightly larger size) but I also wouldn't want to sacrifice as it is also the daytime TV for the family room (i.e. where I'd watch football today!! lol).

I was waiting to see if Buzz or someone else wanted to respond, but I would like to offer some thoughts. I would take it for granted that LS would develop more brightness, but I don't know that it would be significant. Gtgray measured 44 FL on the 92840 and that is a lot. My own thoughts were going in a different direction. For about the same price as the A94, you could also consider the 92". I have sunlight at the opposite end of a long room with mine and watch afternoon football (today, in fact) with no problem. From 14', and from the kitchen, the larger screen would be a big help. I am reluctant to advise someone unless he is already leaning toward a particular set, but I wanted the largest really good display available (affordably so, anyway), and that is why I went with the 92840. Terrific picture quality in a very large display!
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi L75 A94 Laservue 75 Inch 1080p Projection Tv , Pioneer Pro 141fd 59 6 Elite Kuro Plasma Panel Widescreen 1080p Fullhd
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page