Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #31 of 747 Old 08-20-2011, 07:59 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rickdeckard123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Therse are shots from Tron Legacy and Watchmen. They were taken in a completely darkened room. Enjoy!
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
rickdeckard123 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #32 of 747 Old 08-20-2011, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rickdeckard123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
More pics
LL
LL
LL
LL
rickdeckard123 is offline  
post #33 of 747 Old 08-21-2011, 08:49 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard123 View Post

More pics

Great pictures. The blacks look really good, the image quite crisp.

What are the settings you're using?

Looks quite good.
taichi4 is offline  
post #34 of 747 Old 08-21-2011, 02:01 PM
Member
 
mindless's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Posts: 67
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
How does the shadow detail compare to the Kuro?
mindless is offline  
post #35 of 747 Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM
Member
 
IrishLord82's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 125
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard123 View Post

I am very satisfied. The colors are incredible and very vibrant. Standard definition is so-so due to it's size. Hd and blurays are just incredible. One thing that I realized is that anything lower than the bright mode makes it look like a normal bulb based DLP. The bright mode with the settings calibrated, makes the picture just pop. I'll try to post some more pics tonight. I've been swamped with work this week.

Thanks for your screen shots. They look terrific. I went to Paul's TV here in West Los Angeles today and got to see the A94, A91, 82840 and the 82" (2010 model don't remember the exact model number) side by side. I wanted to see the new 92" but they did not have a model on display. All were using the Brilliant setting which makes the colors pop but doesn't give a very realistic picture. In speaking to the manager about their flexibility in pricing on the 82840, he said that they have quite a few customers in the industry who have come in and specifically requested the A95 LaserVue. He told me they all have this set professionally calibrated for its true colors and sharp detail. Quite an endorsement considering I was asking him about 82840 which by the way looked very good but not quite as sharp as the LaserVue. Last year's version of both the LaserVue and 82" with matte screens were not even close to the new sets. Those who have bought the last year sets based on their price, I feel, really lost out on the new sets. Yes, the sets do have a quite reflective screen and buyers will need to consider light control as an important factor...but the comparison left not doubt about which sets were more impactful. While my initial interest was to get either the 82840 or the 92840, after seeing the A94, I think I will start looking at pricing for the A94. I currently have a 73734 that has developed a problem with pin pricks of light after I changed the bulb. Have sent an e-mail to Mits but don't expect much in the way of a reply nor an inexpensive solution. Paul's TV manager speculated that it had to do with the lense. But who knows. The bottom line is the best TV out there right now is the A94 LaserVue. Kuro's are no longer being made...so who cares about their blacks. The Manager at Paul's TV seemed to think that the A94,after calibration, would be Kuro like with regard to blacks and much better with color.
IrishLord82 is offline  
post #36 of 747 Old 08-21-2011, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rickdeckard123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mindless View Post

How does the shadow detail compare to the Kuro?

The shadow detail is very good. While I was comparing the picture of the Kuro to the Laservue, there were a few scenes where I could see more detail on the Laservue. I think the new clear contrast screen has really improved the black levels on the new model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishLord82 View Post

Thanks for your screen shots. They look terrific. I went to Paul's TV here in West Los Angeles today and got to see the A94, A91, 82840 and the 82" (2010 model don't remember the exact model number) side by side. I wanted to see the new 92" but they did not have a model on display. All were using the Brilliant setting which makes the colors pop but doesn't give a very realistic picture. In speaking to the manager about their flexibility in pricing on the 82840, he said that they have quite a few customers in the industry who have come in and specifically requested the A95 LaserVue. He told me they all have this set professionally calibrated for its true colors and sharp detail. Quite an endorsement considering I was asking him about 82840 which by the way looked very good but not quite as sharp as the LaserVue. Last year's version of both the LaserVue and 82" with matte screens were not even close to the new sets. Those who have bought the last year sets based on their price, I feel, really lost out on the new sets. Yes, the sets do have a quite reflective screen and buyers will need to consider light control as an important factor...but the comparison left not doubt about which sets were more impactful. While my initial interest was to get either the 82840 or the 92840, after seeing the A94, I think I will start looking at pricing for the A94. I currently have a 73734 that has developed a problem with pin pricks of light after I changed the bulb. Have sent an e-mail to Mits but don't expect much in the way of a reply nor an inexpensive solution. Paul's TV manager speculated that it had to do with the lense. But who knows. The bottom line is the best TV out there right now is the A94 LaserVue. Kuro's are no longer being made...so who cares about their blacks. The Manager at Paul's TV seemed to think that the A94,after calibration, would be Kuro like with regard to blacks and much better with color.

Well, I'm actually getting it professionally calibrated next month by UMR. He is very well respected in the calibration community. I was very pleased with the results after the brief mini calibration that I performed and I'm sure his settings will be incredible. The blacks on this model are very dark and probably close to an 8g Kuro(I used to have one, but sold it for the 9g Elite)
rickdeckard123 is offline  
post #37 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 07:50 AM
Member
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Im quite torn.
The laservue is so appealing, however i have the room to go bigger in a complete light controlled HT setup.
Unfortunately they arent sold in Canada and will have to get it shipped up here along with any of the problems associated with reurns /servicing etc.

So without being able to see a FP (which i have never owned) and the laservue somewhat side by side (in fact seeing the laservue at all) i cant objectively say what will provide better PQ.

If all im interested in is PQ, how do you all feel the performance comparison stacks up?

Runco ls-3
vs
75" Laservue A94

I can have the runco brought in here to my local guy for a demo but not the laservue.
Size aside (the FP would likely be 96-100" screen, seating can be set up for either Mits or FP sizing) id really appreciate your feedback on a quality FP vs this beautiful sounding laservue.

Primarily HD hockey watching, XBox and then movies.
thanks for any feedback you can provide!
Wondercarrot is offline  
post #38 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 08:10 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group
 
gsr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Posts: 7,543
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

Im quite torn.
The laservue is so appealing, however i have the room to go bigger in a complete light controlled HT setup.
Unfortunately they arent sold in Canada and will have to get it shipped up here along with any of the problems associated with reurns /servicing etc.

So without being able to see a FP (which i have never owned) and the laservue somewhat side by side (in fact seeing the laservue at all) i cant objectively say what will provide better PQ.

If all im interested in is PQ, how do you all feel the performance comparison stacks up?

Runco ls-3
vs
75" Laservue A94

I can have the runco brought in here to my local guy for a demo but not the laservue.
Size aside (the FP would likely be 96-100" screen, seating can be set up for either Mits or FP sizing) id really appreciate your feedback on a quality FP vs this beautiful sounding laservue.

Primarily HD hockey watching, XBox and then movies.
thanks for any feedback you can provide!

For about the same money (or even a bit less), front projection will probably give you a better overall result since you have the ability to control light in your room. I really don't think the risks associated with bringing a LaserVue over the border would make sense, but that's just IMHO.
gsr is offline  
post #39 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 08:36 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

For about the same money (or even a bit less), front projection will probably give you a better overall result since you have the ability to control light in your room. I really don't think the risks associated with bringing a LaserVue over the border would make sense, but that's just IMHO.

I second that. As others have said, if you can get great PQ either way, bigger is better, particularly if you can control the light.

In your case it's TV vs Movie Theater.
taichi4 is offline  
post #40 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 11:38 AM
Member
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you gents, im pretty excited to see the ls-3 in action.
im hoping to get it side by side with another, perhaps lesser model from JVC, Panasonic or Epson to really see how much better a picture im going to get for the extra $$$ a Runco costs.

(if anyone else has thoughts, id love to hear it.)
Wondercarrot is offline  
post #41 of 747 Old 08-22-2011, 12:35 PM - Thread Starter
Member
 
rickdeckard123's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 48
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I would love to have a Runco front projector, but I don't have the room.
rickdeckard123 is offline  
post #42 of 747 Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 PM
Newbie
 
NickBoi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: NJ
Posts: 14
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard123 View Post

Here are a few shots of my Laservue setup.

Sweet
NickBoi is offline  
post #43 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 08:37 AM
Member
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard123 View Post

I would love to have a Runco front projector, but I don't have the room.

im close to being in the same boat...ive got a 10 fott wide room, 16 feet long with a 7 foot ceiling restriction down 1/4 of one side.
if it fits its going to be barely....but barely still means it fits (i hope)

otherwise its likely the laservue for me too which is hardly unappealing
looks great!
Wondercarrot is offline  
post #44 of 747 Old 08-24-2011, 01:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

Im quite torn.
The laservue is so appealing, however i have the room to go bigger in a complete light controlled HT setup.
Unfortunately they arent sold in Canada and will have to get it shipped up here along with any of the problems associated with reurns /servicing etc.

So without being able to see a FP (which i have never owned) and the laservue somewhat side by side (in fact seeing the laservue at all) i cant objectively say what will provide better PQ.

If all im interested in is PQ, how do you all feel the performance comparison stacks up?

Runco ls-3
vs
75" Laservue A94

I can have the runco brought in here to my local guy for a demo but not the laservue.
Size aside (the FP would likely be 96-100" screen, seating can be set up for either Mits or FP sizing) id really appreciate your feedback on a quality FP vs this beautiful sounding laservue.

Primarily HD hockey watching, XBox and then movies.
thanks for any feedback you can provide!

I think you should take a look at this review.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...-ila-projector

They also did a review of the Runco a month later. Read both. Unless you are contemplating a massive screen the JVC might be of interest.
taichi4 is offline  
post #45 of 747 Old 08-25-2011, 08:23 AM
Member
 
Wondercarrot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 51
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I think you should take a look at this review.
http://www.soundandvisionmag.com/art...-ila-projector

They also did a review of the Runco a month later. Read both. Unless you are contemplating a massive screen the JVC might be of interest.

*sigh*
back to the research.....that X7 sounds awesome.

thanks taichi

i couldnt find the runco review unless it was the 73D you were refering to, i was thinking along the lines of a ls-3, although that JVC you showed me is also a 3 chip...hmmmm.
fortunately i have the time
Wondercarrot is offline  
post #46 of 747 Old 08-25-2011, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member
 
capecodorthopod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: cape cod
Posts: 1,253
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Just ordered the a94 from Cleveland Plasma after being on the fence so long my arse hurts. Vendor was very emphatic on phone and email about inspecting and powering it up before signing for it. Nice guy, very informative.
Also ordered BDI Icon stand and matching audio rack from modern stands BDI store. Also excellent price and service.
Can't wait. Hopefully my HT won't be destroyed by Hurricane Irene
capecodorthopod is offline  
post #47 of 747 Old 08-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Member
 
rinseandspit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 103
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone know where the L75-A94 can be seen in the DFW area?
rinseandspit is offline  
post #48 of 747 Old 08-27-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member
 
taichi4's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 2,369
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot View Post

*sigh*
back to the research.....that X7 sounds awesome.

thanks taichi

i couldnt find the runco review unless it was the 73D you were refering to, i was thinking along the lines of a ls-3, although that JVC you showed me is also a 3 chip...hmmmm.
fortunately i have the time

The JVC is a very recent review from a respected magazine, and is even favorably compared to a $20,000 projector reviewed this month. In fact it bests the latter projector in some areas...except when projected on a mammoth screen.

You weren't thinking of creating your own Imax, were you?

I would take a look at the JVC. Sounds like a game changer. Lucky that you can create a dedicated theater space!
taichi4 is offline  
post #49 of 747 Old 08-28-2011, 02:31 AM
Member
 
Mako88888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

The JVC is a very recent review from a respected magazine, and is even favorably compared to a $20,000 projector reviewed this month. In fact it bests the latter projector in some areas...except when projected on a mammoth screen.

You weren't thinking of creating your own Imax, were you?

I would take a look at the JVC. Sounds like a game changer. Lucky that you can create a dedicated theater space!

Back on topic please.

Went to Paul's thinking that an 82740 would be best for my needs, but after seeing the 73840, A94, and 92840 all running the same content, it was extremely clear that the A94 is the best choice for anyone seeking the pop of a good LCD out of a RPTV.

The 92840 was the worst of the bunch by a wide margin, just awful, with an extremely narrow view window in terms of uniform lighting (which was never perfect, huge bright spot/narrow beam no matter how how or low your view angle was on the set), along with a muddy image in general. Way too big for that meager bulb, no doubt about it.

The A94 on the other hand was amazing, just extremely impressive in all regards, I was shocked after thinking it wasn't even a contender. Definitely going that direction, it's worth it terms of The price premium and size reduction over the 82740 I thought was perfect.

Very surprised, this set is absolutely underrated...
Mako88888 is offline  
post #50 of 747 Old 08-28-2011, 07:04 AM
AVS Special Member
 
kjgarrison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Northwest Wisconsin
Posts: 2,243
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Nice to read a post in keeping with the thread title for a change.

Thanks.
kjgarrison is offline  
post #51 of 747 Old 08-28-2011, 08:32 PM
Senior Member
 
ordo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 297
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post

Back on topic please.

Went to Paul's thinking that an 82740 would be best for my needs, but after seeing the 73840, A94, and 92840 all running the same content, it was extremely clear that the A94 is the best choice for anyone seeking the pop of a good LCD out of a RPTV.

The 92840 was the worst of the bunch by a wide margin, just awful, with an extremely narrow view window in terms of uniform lighting (which was never perfect, huge bright spot/narrow beam no matter how how or low your view angle was on the set), along with a muddy image in general. Way too big for that meager bulb, no doubt about it.

The A94 on the other hand was amazing, just extremely impressive in all regards, I was shocked after thinking it wasn't even a contender. Definitely going that direction, it's worth it terms of The price premium and size reduction over the 82740 I thought was perfect.

Very surprised, this set is absolutely underrated...

Remember that the Laservue has the clear contrast screen while the 82740 you compared it to does not. Why not see the 82840 which has the same clear contrast screen as the Laservue before you decide.
ordo is offline  
post #52 of 747 Old 08-30-2011, 11:40 AM
Member
 
Mako88888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

Remember that the Laservue has the clear contrast screen while the 82740 you compared it to does not. Why not see the 82840 which has the same clear contrast screen as the Laservue before you decide.

Because as I mentioned, there was a 92840 on display and that was close enough to weigh any screen benefit that the clear constrast upgrade would offer (which was none by the way...screen is a reflective mess, worse than a darn mirror).

In the end I chose the 70" Sharp LCD (735U with 3D) as it had the most precise image and colors of the three (XX740, XX840, L75-A94).

Giving up some screen size versus the Mitsus, but eventually I'll be using the 70" in the smaller game room and upgrading the main den to the 80" 735U once it arrives later next year. The thin packaging of the LCD, with its wall-mountability, influenced that decision, plus it was nearly a thousand bucks cheaper than the L75-A94 and included 2 sets of 3D glasses at that price.

Sad to leave the Mitsu family, loved their products for so long.
Mako88888 is offline  
post #53 of 747 Old 08-31-2011, 05:38 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post


In the end I chose the 70" Sharp LCD (735U with 3D) as it had the most precise image and colors of the three (XX740, XX840, L75-A94).

You measured them?

If you haven't seen them calibrated, and I mean fully calibrated, you haven't seen them at all.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is offline  
post #54 of 747 Old 08-31-2011, 12:41 PM
Member
 
Mako88888's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 75
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post
You measured them?

If you haven't seen them calibrated, and I mean fully calibrated, you haven't seen them at all.
Calibration would make up some of the difference between the two, no doubt about it.

But the price (thousand dollars less for the LCD along WITH two sets of 3D glasses thrown in for free), combined with the packaging advantages that flat-panel displays offer (wall-mountable, lighter, more cosmetically appealing, etc) more than make up any SLIGHT (at best) image superiority that the A94 MAY have post-calibration.

And even with calibration those crazy over-the-top reds are still what they are...no getting around that of course, either you love them or hate them.

Bottom line: Calibrate both the sets and there isn't going to be enough of a difference for the A94 to make sense considering all the negatives. And that comes from a lifelong Mitsu buyer, I actually went in to buy the A94...

Time marches on.
Mako88888 is offline  
post #55 of 747 Old 08-31-2011, 04:32 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Augerhandle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 2,615
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mako88888 View Post

Calibration would make up some of the difference between the two, no doubt about it.

But the price (thousand dollars less for the LCD along WITH two sets of 3D glasses thrown in for free), combined with the packaging advantages that flat-panel displays offer (wall-mountable, lighter, more cosmetically appealing, etc) more than make up any SLIGHT (at best) image superiority that the A94 MAY have post-calibration.

And even with calibration those crazy over-the-top reds are still what they are...no getting around that of course, either you love them or hate them.

Bottom line: Calibrate both the sets and there isn't going to be enough of a difference for the A94 to make sense considering all the negatives. And that comes from a lifelong Mitsu buyer, I actually went in to buy the A94...

Time marches on.

What model TV are you replacing?

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
 
Augerhandle is offline  
post #56 of 747 Old 09-02-2011, 07:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Cleveland Plasma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: Cleveland, Ohio
Posts: 12,284
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 470 Post(s)
Liked: 644
Quote:
Originally Posted by rinseandspit View Post

Anyone know where the L75-A94 can be seen in the DFW area?

Best Buy Magnolia would be a good start if people have on in there area.
Cleveland Plasma is offline  
post #57 of 747 Old 09-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Newbie
 
Audio Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Thanks for the pictures. They look great. We all have to keep in mind that none of us can actually view the colors that were in source from the Laservue... unless you have a laser based monitor. Most of us are viewing the pictures on an LCD monitor which has the same retrictions as all of the LCD TV's in terms of contrast ratio, colors, etc. We can get an idea of the black levels, sharpness, shadow detail... but so much of that is very exposure dependent on the camera and the rest on the monitor. I'm hoping to check out the A94 today in person.
Audio Guy is offline  
post #58 of 747 Old 09-05-2011, 03:52 PM
Newbie
 
MJ1@Lorentsen.or's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard123 View Post

Here are a few shots of my Laservue setup.

Great Setup, what is the model of your stand?
MJ1@Lorentsen.or is offline  
post #59 of 747 Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM
Newbie
 
plasmasonic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Potomac, MD
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
so i purchased the l75-a94 from amazon and received it last week. i connected it to my FIOS box, Tivo3 box, and Oppo93 bluray. PQ was good but not as great as my elites which i have been watching everyday for the last few years (i have the elite FHD1 and the 141FD). the red's are spectacular but can be overpowering. for example, i was watching american choppers, and paul jr wears red t-shirts and has red tool cabinets in the background - it was too much red for me. the reds almost turned into magenta (i have not calibrated the set).

as for the 3d - i had a hard time watching 3d. i can watch the passive 3d in the theaters with no problems. but the active on this set hurt my eyes. i had a hard time focusing, especially when there are multiple 3d effects on the screen. when watching a single object, it was clear, but water splash effects, or any multiple movements in a single shot hurt my eyes (with or without contacts/glasses - i tried variations). my eye doc did say i would need bifocals soon, so this could be my eyes. my kids see it ok. espn 3d (some college game) was terrible for my eyes. could not focus. it looked like every player had his own magnifying lens over them (as best as i can explain from what my eyes see).

i'm not trying to be negative on the mitsubishi. i really wanted to like it because i did buy it. but i returned it to amazon today (very good return policy btw). i'm going to test out the passive 3d LCDs (vizio or LG) and hopefully i will have a better 3d viewing experience.

pros of the mitsubishi - size (glorious 75" screen), PQ was very good for a DLP and maybe i needed some calibration - thru a dvd or a pro - to make it better but out of the box, it was still excellent, onscreen menu setup.

cons - red can be overpowering but maybe calibration will help, and active 3d tech hurting my eyes, sound was tin-ny (but with a tv this size, it would most likely be in a HT setup).

just wanted potential buyers to be aware of active vs passive tech. if i had no problems with the active 3d, i would definitely keep the tv. i've seen the active demo's for panasonic and sony and had no problems, so I had no idea that mitsubishi would have been any different.
plasmasonic is offline  
post #60 of 747 Old 09-08-2011, 04:29 AM
AVS Special Member
 
buzzard767's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Naples, FL & Wausau, WI
Posts: 3,979
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 366 Post(s)
Liked: 891
Are you watching in the Brilliant mode? The A91s oversaturated the crap out of everything too. These sets need to be calibrated in the ADV modes and then code locked to ISF so the owners can't screw them up.

The attachment is from a CIE Chart of a LV in the Brilliant Mode. Saturation is measured from the D65 white point which is the circled square in the center. The proper saturation points are the colored squares and the colored diamonds are the actual measured points. No wonder the picture looks like crap.

All the claims of twice the color, etc., while true, are meaningless. There is no content available, so when the Brilliant mode is used with standardized Rec. 709 content (Blu-Rays & HD TV) the colors mush together. All NASCAR red paint schemes look magenta, PGA Tour grass looks neon, etc.

The LaserVue is one display type that begs to be calibrated.
LL

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

 

buzzard767 is offline  
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi L75 A94 Laservue 75 Inch 1080p Projection Tv , Pioneer Pro 141fd 59 6 Elite Kuro Plasma Panel Widescreen 1080p Fullhd
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off