Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 11-09-2011, 01:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
I notice on Amazon that they had several "used" A-94s. I assume these are either customer returns for one reason or another or were damaged slightly in shipping and were refused.

It is highly unusual to see so many used sets this new avaialbe on Amazon.. these are available under 4k and sold through the Amazon warehouse. This should not violate the no price talk. I am discussing the price of new but of used.

Anyway, sounds like Mits is still struggling with build quality and clearly that must also include shipping pacakges that are inadequate.

These are very expensive displays, they are 3rd generation.. what it us with this anyway.

Just another blank signature.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 02:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I notice on Amazon that they had several "used" A-94s. I assume these are either customer returns for one reason or another or were damaged slightly in shipping and were refused.

It is highly unusual to see so many used sets this new avaialbe on Amazon.. these are available under 4k and sold through the Amazon warehouse. This should not violate the no price talk. I am discussing the price of new but of used.

Anyway, sounds like Mits is still struggling with build quality and clearly that must also include shipping pacakges that are inadequate.

These are very expensive displays, they are 3rd generation.. what it us with this anyway.

Your post piqued my curiosity so I went to Amazon.

One of the four is an open box floor model from One Call.
One is a straight retail return to EE.
Two have minor cosmetic defects and are repackaged.

If you look at a highly rated Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30, Amazon has ten of those used.

I don't think you can infer too much from that.
Old 11-09-2011, 03:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 528 Post(s)
Liked: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

Considering the fact that contrast ratio is the largest single factor in picture quality, and given, say, max luminance of 35 foot Lamberts.....

The A94 at a recently remeasured black level of .003 yields an on/off CR of 11,667, and the Elite, at .0004 yields 87,500. I'd say that there isn't much of a contest.

However, in a totally light controlled room using bias lighting behind my A94 the picture is excellent, but just not up to the Elite's ability. In this case, you get what you pay for.

Your a calibrator, I meant the average joe
Old 11-09-2011, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 445 Post(s)
Liked: 973
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Plasma View Post

Your a calibrator, I meant the average joe

I confess to being picky, Chris. The A94 is a fine set and I'll probably be viewing mine for a long time.

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

Old 11-09-2011, 04:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Your post piqued my curiosity so I went to Amazon.

One of the four is an open box floor model from One Call.
One is a straight retail return to EE.
Two have minor cosmetic defects and are repackaged.

If you look at a highly rated Panasonic VIERA TC-P65VT30, Amazon has ten of those used.

I don't think you can infer too much from that.

What do you think is the relative volume. 100 to 1, a 1000 to 1? Really very few people even know what the A94 is. I think the number of used sets is kind of alarming based on the market size. 92840 shows no used sets available. Not sure what to make out of that because I would think 92" would sell many more units...

Old 11-09-2011, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

What do you think is the relative volume. 100 to 1, a 1000 to 1? Really very few people even know what the A94 is. I think the number of used sets is kind of alarming based on the market size. 92840 shows no used sets available. Not sure what to make out of that because I would think 92" would sell many more units...

One set was One Call's display model, open box.

That leaves three. One was a quick return, ostensibly, which is a case of buyer's remorse, which can happen and will happen with every genre of consumer item.

Then you have damaged units.

The point is, that even though less people buy Laservues than Panasonic Plasmas, you have a very small statistical pool to make an inference from.

One could wonder why there are ten used Panasonic 65 Plasmas on Amazon, a set which is supposedly so good.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Old 11-09-2011, 08:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

If they are for real sale they still work Probably all buyer remorse, cold feet, finacial problems, or did not meet the wife factor.

Right. So there is not enough of any kind of pattern to infer much of anything, wouldn't you agree?
Old 11-09-2011, 09:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 73
One can infer that there are still deals out there on these TVs for those who prefer to save money buying open box and cosmetically damaged merchandise.

As for the relative volume, maybe the A94s are selling better than the 92840s.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

Old 11-09-2011, 10:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post

One can infer that there are still deals out there on these TVs for those who prefer to save money buying open box and cosmetically damaged merchandise.

As for the relative volume, maybe the A94s are selling better than the 92840s.

You're right that one can infer all kinds of things from this small statistical pool, but not all inferences are persuasive or grounded in fact...my point being that I don't see any proof of something "wrong" with the A-94 from the Amazon listings. But you already knew that.

I think what's interesting is how one can have an expectation of how a particular set will look from marketing, user and expert reviews, and then find, when you see the set in person, that your reaction is unexpectedly different.

I was not so impressed with the 92840, which I really wanted to like, but liked the A-94 quite a bit, despite being lukewarm about prior Laservues.

Anyway, people should see any set they're considering in person.
Old 11-10-2011, 08:10 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:

Anyway, people should see any set they're considering in person.

I agree 100% and have to replace 2 TVs now and am interest in the A94 but can't find anywhere to view one in Nebraska... I need to move back to Florida
Old 11-10-2011, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubear View Post

I agree 100% and have to replace 2 TVs now and am interest in the A94 but can't find anywhere to view one in Nebraska... I need to move back to Florida

Did you go here and check for dealers?

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/retaillocator.html
Old 11-10-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:

Did you go here and check for dealers?

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/retaillocator.html

Never thought of that before thanks... most dealers around here don't sale Mitsu though
Old 11-11-2011, 10:02 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarver View Post

Sorry for the long delay in posting an update on my situation. My third replacement set arrived without any damage. Although like many others here my "white glove delivery" did not happen as only one gentlemen showed up to deliver it. I was just glad this time the box wasn't smashed in. Luckily I was able to help the guy unbox it and carry it into place. Problem is once I powered it up I noticed the buzzing with this set is much louder than my original A91. The noise is so loud it is easily heard over normal watching volume. It can be heard when the volume is muted two rooms away on the other side of my house! The buzzing or humming sound varies with the picture on the screen. The sound level is so bad it is basicaly unwatchable. I called Mits and they agreed to send a service tech out to evaluate it. After several weeks a service tech came out an confirmed that I do have an usual amount of noise with this set and was going to recommed a replacement of the power supply unit where he determined the sound was coming from. Two weeks have past and I still have not heard back on when or if a replacement part is coming or if they will send me a 5th TV. At this point I'm losing my mind with this experience. Four TV's and 7 months later and I still don't have a working set. This is unacceptable with a TV of this price. I'm tired of the hours spent on the phone trying to get ahold of Mits and the many times I have had to arrange my schedule to be home for a delivery. Top it off with the $400 3D adapter I bought for my A91 now being useless to me and I have to buy new 3D glasses for the A94 if I can ever get a workable set. At this point I'm so fed up I think I just want my money back so I can go buy a different brand. Any suggestions here.

Well after not hearing anything for 2 weeks I called Mits yesterday and was told that they are going to replace the power board and my part should ship soon but couldn't tell me when. So I wait for a call to schedule my 6th service call/delivery! Six times I have had to reschedule my work to be home in 7 months because Mits can't seem to delivery to me a working set!!!!!! After 4 TVs if this doesn't fix it I'm demanding my money back. Does anybody from Mits monitor these boards or do any of the dealers on here have a contact high up in Mits that I can talk to? I'm beyond fustrated.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well after not hearing anything for 2 weeks I called Mits yesterday and was told that they are going to replace the power board and my part should ship soon but couldn't tell me when. So I wait for a call to schedule my 6th service call/delivery! Six times I have had to reschedule my work to be home in 7 months because Mits can't seem to delivery to me a working set!!!!!! After 4 TVs if this doesn't fix it I'm demanding my money back. Does anybody from Mits monitor these boards or do any of the dealers on here have a contact high up in Mits that I can talk to? I'm beyond fustrated.

Your personal experience with this set is troubling. I believe there is a poster on the 92840 thread (or possibly on the Defective Mitsubishi DLP thread) that has the ear of someone at Mits. Maybe you could post on those threads as Mits reliability should be a concern to anyone buying DLP.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:08 PM

Quote:

Only a hand full of us has issues with the lasevue. I went to HH gregg and I watch an Aqua 80" TV and it look good and also look at the 84" Mits and with the sound bar and the picture quality it blowed the Aqua away.
If you have so much problems with the lasevue buy a DLP or the Aqua. but the Aqua is an LCD or Plasma I do not know.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:41 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by nescosmo View Post

Only a hand full of us has issues with the lasevue. I went to HH gregg and I watch an Aqua 80" TV and it look good and also look at the 84" Mits and with the sound bar and the picture quality it blowed the Aqua away.
If you have so much problems with the lasevue buy a DLP or the Aqua. but the Aqua is an LCD or Plasma I do not know.

I think I'm stating the obvious here, but the LaserVue ~is~ a DLP. The difference is a bulb versus a laser for illumination. And Mitsubishi makes an 82" model, not 84".
Old 11-12-2011, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

I think I'm stating the obvious here, but the LaserVue ~is~ a DLP. The difference is a bulb versus a laser for illumination. And Mitsubishi makes an 82" model, not 84".

Well you get my point. I am not in to it as you are.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:

Right. So there is not enough of any kind of pattern to infer much of anything, wouldn't you agree?

I agree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubear View Post

Never thought of that before thanks... most dealers around here don't sale Mitsu though

That's true, you can always shop online.......
Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 AM

Quote:

I agree.

That's true, you can always shop online.......

Yep I may be giving you a call...! After my wife's b-day
Old 11-15-2011, 07:43 PM

Quote:

So my saga gets worse. I'm still waiting for word on when the replacement power board will ship out. Well now my A94 will just shut off randomly in the middle of watching tv. The TV powers off suddenly and then flashes orange and red alrernatively until you hold the power button on the side of the set in for 10 seconds or so to reset the TV. Problem is it keeps happening. My guess is it's some sort of internal protection circuit that is getting tripped from whatever the hell is wrong with my TV and is causing the horrible buzzing/humming sound. Seriously how can I be this unlucky. There is no way I'm keeping this set now as I don't trust that even if this part solves the noise issue that there isn't some other damage that will rear it's ugly head most likely once I'm out of warranty. For a TV that costs this much I expect a working TV out of the box the first time. So either I try for TV number "5" or call it quits and demand my money back. The question then is what to get? The Sharp 70" or 80" seem promising. I don't want to down size to a 70" now but the 80" doesn't have 3D or several other features is my understanding, I haven't really bothered looking much yet as I kept having faith that the Laservue would work out.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:02 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I may have suggested this before, but you might want to make a very concise post about your trouble on the Defective Mitsubishi DLP thread as I seem to recall someone on that thread having an ear at Mitsubishi.

It seems the particular people you've been dealing with are not good at customers service. Sometimes the wrong people in any organization will give you the runaround, which is what you appear to be getting. This shouldn't be going on for such a long time.

Years ago I had a similar experience with a defective camera, with my patience sorely tested. You definitely need to be dealing with someone else.

Good luck, and try that thread.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:26 PM

Quote:

So my saga gets worse. I'm still waiting for word on when the replacement power board will ship out. Well now my A94 will just shut off randomly in the middle of watching tv. The TV powers off suddenly and then flashes orange and red alrernatively until you hold the power button on the side of the set in for 10 seconds or so to reset the TV. Problem is it keeps happening. My guess is it's some sort of internal protection circuit that is getting tripped from whatever the hell is wrong with my TV and is causing the horrible buzzing/humming sound. Seriously how can I be this unlucky. There is no way I'm keeping this set now as I don't trust that even if this part solves the noise issue that there isn't some other damage that will rear it's ugly head most likely once I'm out of warranty. For a TV that costs this much I expect a working TV out of the box the first time. So either I try for TV number "5" or call it quits and demand my money back. The question then is what to get? The Sharp 70" or 80" seem promising. I don't want to down size to a 70" now but the 80" doesn't have 3D or several other features is my understanding, I haven't really bothered looking much yet as I kept having faith that the Laservue would work out.

I read back some where that Mitsubishi is another company and that they are no longer making the 60 and 65" TV. They are in the transition of changing management and so forth. I think you should go to a government agency and sick for help. I herd that mits is outsourcing their TV parts also.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:

I saw in a recent Consumer Reports that Mitsubishi TVs had the worse reliability rating (Panasonic has the best). Your experience seems to be supporting that. Too bad. I was really interested in the Laservue, but I think I'm going to steer clear (partly because of reliability concerns, and partly because it also seems over-priced compared to other options).

As far as other large (non-Mitsubishi) TV's with 3D, I think the Sharp 70" is your best bet. The Elite is reportedly excellent, but also very expensive. The 735U, although not as good, seems to have a lot of happy owners also and can be had for less than $3k online. If your willing to go to 65", there are a lot more options.

Good luck!
Old 11-18-2011, 10:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I think I may have suggested this before, but you might want to make a very concise post about your trouble on the Defective Mitsubishi DLP thread as I seem to recall someone on that thread having an ear at Mitsubishi.

It seems the particular people you've been dealing with are not good at customers service. Sometimes the wrong people in any organization will give you the runaround, which is what you appear to be getting. This shouldn't be going on for such a long time.

Years ago I had a similar experience with a defective camera, with my patience sorely tested. You definitely need to be dealing with someone else.

Good luck, and try that thread.

My experience with Mits customer service, suggested there was not really anyone home. There was one lady who answered the phone, she was non-technical but came across as having been in the slot a long time. At best it seemed Mom and Popish. The idea you call them, they give you a name of an authorized provider and the two don't really communicate is bizarre to say the least.

I did get service after requesting it resolved nothing, but that is a big part of the problem. If you have an issue and the customer service people are technical and experts at their product and hence your problem, they call out the right part and if the service does not resolve the issue, then further service is done. Sort of a closed loop process. The way Mits works is loopy but I would not go so far as to call it a process.

Old 11-18-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

My experience with Mits customer service, suggested there was not really anyone home...

...The way Mits works is loopy but I would not go so far as to call it a process.

There is always someone in any organization that can do something, and that was the thrust of the poster's question.

I seem to recall that someone who posts on the defective Mits. DLP thread
has the ear of somone at Mits, hence my suggestion.

Is Mits one of the many companies who have circled the wagons, creating a wall of semi-responsive telephone answerers in lieu of adept customer service people and techs? Yes.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:19 AM

I just bought this thing and it has the worst color rendition out of the box I've ever seen. I bought this to replace my Kuro 141FD Signature Elite and thus far.... YIKES. I **HOPE** an initial rough calibration can fix this issue somewhat! Anyone else have this experience. Thanks.
Old 11-19-2011, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannus View Post

I just bought this thing and it has the worst color rendition out of the box I've ever seen. I bought this to replace my Kuro 141FD Signature Elite and thus far.... YIKES. I **HOPE** an initial rough calibration can fix this issue somewhat! Anyone else have this experience. Thanks.

you might want to talk to Buzz he's been working on his...
Old 11-19-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

There is always someone in any organization that can do something, and that was the thrust of the poster's question.

I seem to recall that someone who posts on the defective Mits. DLP thread
has the ear of somone at Mits, hence my suggestion.

Is Mits one of the many companies who have circled the wagons, creating a wall of semi-responsive telephone answerers in lieu of adept customer service people and techs? Yes.

Well I did not get the impression there was enough people there to circle the wagons. In the several conversations I had with Mits it was the same lady answering the phone each time. It seemed like a Mom and Pop startup business... That was before the restructuring, gosh knows how few are there now.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Well I did not get the impression there was enough people there to circle the wagons. In the several conversations I had with Mits it was the same lady answering the phone each time...

Synchronicity.

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi L75 A94 Laservue 75 Inch 1080p Projection Tv , Pioneer Pro 141fd 59 6 Elite Kuro Plasma Panel Widescreen 1080p Fullhd
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com