post #181 of 747 Old 11-20-2011, 04:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked: 438
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoubear View Post

you might want to talk to Buzz he's been working on his...

I'm still waiting for a call back on my inoperative White Balance controls. I'll call them tomorrow and see what they say. Hell, they haven't even picked up the A91 yet. It's sitting in another room and if Mits doesn't get off its butt soon I might put it on Craig's List....

Buzz
THX Certified Video Calibrator

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 747 Old 11-21-2011, 09:29 AM
GEP
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:

you might want to talk to Buzz he's been working on his...

Try the Natural picture mode. It is the closest to REC 709 standards. Super Brilliant and Brilliant are for the retail setting where the TVs are working hard to attract attention.
post #183 of 747 Old 11-21-2011, 01:42 PM

Liked: 10
I have a couple of questions for current LV owners. I'm in the market for large TV, but the room I plan to put it in is relatively small ( 12.5' by 12.5'). The room currently has an L-shaped sectional sofa in one corner, and my plan is to put the TV in the opposite corner. This leads to my questions:

1. With this arrangement, the maximum viewing distance will be around 11 to 12' (when sitting in the center of the sofa and viewing across the diagonal of the room). Is this too close for a set as large as the LV?

2. Someone sitting at either end of the sectional will be viewing the TV at an angle, maybe 30 to 35 degrees. They will also be closer to the screen (maybe 9 to 10'). I've noticed with Mitsubishi's other bulb based DLP's a significant drop off in picture quailty when viewed off angle. Does the LV suffer from this also? Will viewing from those end positions be a problem?

I'm also considering the 70" Sharp 735U and Panasonic 65" VT30, which may work better in this situation.

Thanks for any feedback on this.
post #184 of 747 Old 11-21-2011, 02:37 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post

I have a couple of questions for current LV owners. I'm in the market for large TV, but the room I plan to put it in is relatively small ( 12.5' by 12.5'). The room currently has an L-shaped sectional sofa in one corner, and my plan is to put the TV in the opposite corner. This leads to my questions:

1. With this arrangement, the maximum viewing distance will be around 11 to 12' (when sitting in the center of the sofa and viewing across the diagonal of the room). Is this too close for a set as large as the LV?

2. Someone sitting at either end of the sectional will be viewing the TV at an angle, maybe 30 to 35 degrees. They will also be closer to the screen (maybe 9 to 10'). I've noticed with Mitsubishi's other bulb based DLP's a significant drop off in picture quailty when viewed off angle. Does the LV suffer from this also? Will viewing from those end positions be a problem?

I'm also considering the 70" Sharp 735U and Panasonic 65" VT30, which may work better in this situation.

Thanks for any feedback on this.

1. IMO, 9 to 12' is the best viewing distance for this set. Actually I've been viewing at 8' recently. It will seem huge at first but it will seem normal in short time

2. The LV doesn't suffer the same problem. From that angle light output is excellent. I can watch from my kitchen at a 45 degree angle 20' away standing up.
post #185 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 05:59 AM

Does anyone here know how to access the service menu on the L75-A94?

Thanks
post #186 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 06:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonmichaelh View Post

2. The LV doesn't suffer the same problem. From that angle light output is excellent. I can watch from my kitchen at a 45 degree angle 20' away standing up.

So the off angle viewing is good with this set? That's good to know. I thought I had seen comments about the PQ being excellent "head on" - which implied to me it wasn't so much if viewed at an angle. I just wish there was one close by I could look at. Unfortunately, my local Mitsubishi dealer (hhgreg) doesn't carry it.
post #187 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEP View Post
Try the Natural picture mode. It is the closest to REC 709 standards.
I would have bet you a beer that the Cinema mode would be much closer to Rec. 709 but it didn't turn out that way. Cinema isn't even in the ball park.

Before is Normal, After is Cinema.
Attachment 228602

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pannus View Post
Does anyone here know how to access the service menu on the L75-A94?
Thanks
Menu, 2, 4, 5, 7 Be careful in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkelecy View Post
So the off angle viewing is good with this set?
It is better than an LCD but is not up to Plasma ability.

A94NormalvsCinemaAVS_Post.pdf 387.173828125k . file

Buzz

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #188 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 09:52 AM

Hi Buzz - would you mind sending me your settings?

I'd like to try them out on my *temporary* set....

I would eventually like to get a pro calibration performed, but until I get a set that isn't going to be replaced, that doesn't seem to be a good idea.

My replacement A94 arrived with the top molded plastic popping out of the bezel, with not so good overscan and a heck of a bow on the right side of the screen. Mitsubishi is shipping me another replacement. Hopefully it arrives in great condition with less than 3% OC....

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzard767 View Post

To fix my inoperative grayscale controls a board replacement will most likely be required so there is little reason to continue until this occurs. The attached GS report indicates what the display performance is now and this is unsatisfactory.

Attachment 227119

One question: Have there been any professional reports published for the A94? If so, could someone please provide a link?

My viewing room is totally light controlled so for my purposes I only need a night mode and a 3D mode which I'll do in the ADV (ISF Day/3D and ISF Night/2D).

I'm not a believer in transferring settings from one display to another but I have seen in many cases where doing so does provide some improvement. If anyone wants some settings I'll be happy to provide them, including a day mode in ADV1 before I do the 3D calibration.

post #189 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 09:53 AM

Hi Everyone - I'm wondering if you all notice any bowing of the left and right side of the screen? Just the last 2-3 inches where the screen meets the bezel.

Just wondering if that's normal or not.

Thanks
post #190 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 12:05 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'd like to try them out on my *temporary* set....

I would eventually like to get a pro calibration performed, but until I get a set that isn't going to be replaced, that doesn't seem to be a good idea.

My replacement A94 arrived with the top molded plastic popping out of the bezel, with not so good overscan and a heck of a bow on the right side of the screen. Mitsubishi is shipping me another replacement. Hopefully it arrives in great condition with less than 3% OC....

This is insane...that is exactly how mine arrived! That and a long scratch on the right side bezel. They are supposedly shipping another one to me, but no tracking number or update yet.

Buzz - I too would be interested in your initial settings. Thanks!
post #191 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SJCoruja View Post

This is insane...that is exactly how mine arrived! That and a long scratch on the right side bezel. They are supposedly shipping another one to me, but no tracking number or update yet.

Buzz - I too would be interested in your initial settings. Thanks!

There is clearly a problem with Mit's distribution system and packaging with these sets. Within 7 pages of this thread there are way too many people posting here with not just one but multiple damaged deliveries. My advice for people looking into buying these is to stay far far away. I too would love to get my set professionally calibrated but after 7 months and 4 TVs worth of trying to get a working set I have given up. I'm writing a letter about my experience so far to Mit's upper management at MEVSA to try and get my issues resolved. I will keep everyone up to date on what happens.
post #192 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarver View Post

There is clearly a problem with Mit's distribution system and packaging with these sets. Within 7 pages of this thread there are way too many people posting here with not just one but multiple damaged deliveries. My advice for people looking into buying these is to stay far far away. I too would love to get my set professionally calibrated but after 7 months and 4 TVs worth of trying to get a working set I have given up. I'm writing a letter about my experience so far to Mit's upper management at MEVSA to try and get my issues resolved. I will keep everyone up to date on what happens.

I don't think the sample data set you are looking at qualifies you to recommend staying away, although your personal experience certainly does.

Hopefully both of us will be posting positive delivery experiences shortly and praising MEVSA customer service.
post #193 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 04:09 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked: 173
Quote:

I don't think the sample data set you are looking at qualifies you to recommend staying away, although your personal experience certainly does.

Given that the LaserVue is presumably a niche product within a niche segment, I'm starting to wonder if there is enough of a representative sample data set to work with here. There's certainly no excuse for anyone to receive multiple defective units (whether they were damaged before leaving the factory or in transit - I would hope in transit). At the very least, it points to a major flaw in the packaging and/or delivery process to certain destinations.

Quote:

Hopefully both of us will be posting positive delivery experiences shortly and praising MEVSA customer service.

I certainly hope that those who have been running into problems reach satisfactory resolutions soon. It's extremely frustrating to go through such problems and also having a non-trivial chunk of money tied up all that time. It would be frustrating even on a $200 product, but especially so on a much more expensive product.
post #194 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 04:50 PM

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsr View Post

Given that the LaserVue is presumably a niche product within a niche segment, I'm starting to wonder if there is enough of a representative sample data set to work with here. There's certainly no excuse for anyone to receive multiple defective units (whether they were damaged before leaving the factory or in transit - I would hope in transit). At the very least, it points to a major flaw in the packaging and/or delivery process to certain destinations.

I certainly hope that those who have been running into problems reach satisfactory resolutions soon. It's extremely frustrating to go through such problems and also having a non-trivial chunk of money tied up all that time. It would be frustrating even on a $200 product, but especially so on a much more expensive product.

I have been reading this thread with interest, and holding off on a reply, but I haven't observed owners on the 740/840 Thread or the 92840 Thread experiencing similar delivery problems. I wouldn't think that there would be a different distribution point, or that packaging would be that different for the LS, but something certainly seems to be. My 92840 shipped via UPS. It was just one guy in a large truck, but it shipped with a built-in cardboard pallet and he had a motorized push/pull forklift. We didn't have any trouble with it, and both the box and the TV were undamaged. It sounds like a shipping problem more than anything. You can certainly destroy a cardboard box if you don't care very much about what you are doing. If I had three of those TVs arrive broken, I would be ready to shoot myself--or someone else.

post #195 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 05:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I just received a call from Mits this evening. After a month they are finally going to have my old A91 picked up "either Friday or Monday at the latest". We'll see.

They also said they have escalated my inoperative A94 grayscale complaint and that I would hear back from them tomorrow.

Once the GS is fixed I'll be able to do a full calibration and I will post the settings at that time. Please remember that settings normally don't travel well plus if there are changes in gamma or contrast among other things it will throw all the settings out of whack and the GS and CMS will have to be redone.

3D in particular is way short of blue in the GS and the picture I'm getting shows it.

Meanwhile, for 2D, I get great GS because I'm running all inputs through a video processor with 10 pt. GS and full CMS controls....

Buzz

post #196 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 05:53 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

I have not been able to find any reviews of the L75-A94 (nor of the 92840), as seems typical for Mitsubishis. Most annoying are the website links to purported reviews which turn out to be regurgitated versions of Mitsubishi's own press, or even worse, a list of specs.

These people want you to click on their websites.

But has anyone seen any reviews?

I emailed David Katzmaier of cnet and he told me since interest of the Laservues are so low reviewers have not requested demos for testing.
post #197 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 07:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:

I emailed David Katzmaier of cnet and he told me since interest of the Laservues are so low reviewers have not requested demos for testing.

That's disappointing. Did he comment on reviews of the other new Mits DLPs? It seems to me that all Mits DLPs are chronically under-reviewed
post #198 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 08:53 PM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

That's disappointing. Did he comment on reviews of the other new Mits DLPs? It seems to me that all Mits DLPs are chronically under-reviewed

Probably the same reason. It's not just the price as a relatively small subset of people have a room they can fit a big TV into AND can get approval from their spouse. I'm constantly annoyed by the fact that Home Theater magazine makes statements along the lines of "you need to have a large display to watch movies properly" and then spends most of their time reviewing TV's that are ~50" or less in size - they don't even review many of the 65" LCD's and plasmas. They've reviewed very few RPTV's over the years, which is where the large TV's are for those who can't go with front projection. But the bottom line is that they need to review what consumers actually want to buy because that helps sell copies of the magazine.
post #199 of 747 Old 11-22-2011, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Probably the same reason. It's not just the price as a relatively small subset of people have a room they can fit a big TV into AND can get approval from their spouse. I'm constantly annoyed by the fact that Home Theater magazine makes statements along the lines of "you need to have a large display to watch movies properly" and then spends most of their time reviewing TV's that are ~50" or less in size - they don't even review many of the 65" LCD's and plasmas. They've reviewed very few RPTV's over the years, which is where the large TV's are for those who can't go with front projection. But the bottom line is that they need to review what consumers actually want to buy because that helps sell copies of the magazine.

You're probably right, and I share your frustration. But it's also true that Home Theater Magazine sometimes reviews some offbeat, niche, or specialty items. They should review the 92 inch just for the uniqueness of it.
post #200 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 52
Quote:

I would have bet you a beer that the Cinema mode would be much closer to Rec. 709 but it didn't turn out that way. Cinema isn't even in the ball park.

Before is Normal, After is Cinema.
Attachment 228602

Menu, 2, 4, 5, 7 Be careful in there.

It is better than an LCD but is not up to Plasma ability.

Wow, normal color is pretty awful and cinema is completely pathetic!

Thank Goodness for DUOs and Lumagen Radiances

Seriously without my DUO.. I would have taken a baseball bat to my 82837 a long time ago.

Just another blank signature.
post #201 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 04:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

Wow, normal color is pretty awful and cinema is completely pathetic!

It's a good advertisement for why displays should be calibrated.

Buzz

post #202 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 05:55 AM

Liked: 12
Quote:

Considering the fact that contrast ratio is the largest single factor in picture quality, and given, say, max luminance of 35 foot Lamberts.....

The A94 at a recently remeasured black level of .003 yields an on/off CR of 11,667, and the Elite, at .0004 yields 87,500. I'd say that there isn't much of a contest.

However, in a totally light controlled room using bias lighting behind my A94 the picture is excellent, but just not up to the Elite's ability. In this case, you get what you pay for.

Buzz I shot your findings over to Katzmaier as well as this thread to spark a little interest about the set and maybe an official review...
post #203 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 07:48 AM

I have performed a very rough calibration in cinema mode. The set is to be calibrated professionally this Saturday. Thus far, as I stated in the "DLP haters" thread, I like the picture on this better than my Kuro 141. It just has something, for which language fails me, that makes the image much more immersive. I think "pop" is the closest word to describing the difference.

Live sports on this set are out of this world. My Kuro has now become TV #2!
post #204 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 07:55 AM
gsr
Oppo Beta Group

Quote:

You're probably right, and I share your frustration. But it's also true that Home Theater Magazine sometimes reviews some offbeat, niche, or specialty items. They should review the 92 inch just for the uniqueness of it.

Oh, they certainly do. There's also the issue of actually receiving review samples. I recall reading something in Home Theater (or posted somewhere by one of their contributors) at one point indicating that they had requested a (first generation) LaserVue and Mitsubishi would only allow them to review it under very controlled conditions, so HT declined to review it. Maybe Mits is concerned that they can't successfully deliver a working unit to them for review . How embarrassing would it be for Mits to have the review start out by saying "the first 23 samples arrived damaged, but the 24th set has been working fine..."?
post #205 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthomas47 View Post

I have been reading this thread with interest, and holding off on a reply, but I haven't observed owners on the 740/840 Thread or the 92840 Thread experiencing similar delivery problems. I wouldn't think that there would be a different distribution point, or that packaging would be that different for the LS, but something certainly seems to be. My 92840 shipped via UPS. It was just one guy in a large truck, but it shipped with a built-in cardboard pallet and he had a motorized push/pull forklift. We didn't have any trouble with it, and both the box and the TV were undamaged. It sounds like a shipping problem more than anything. You can certainly destroy a cardboard box if you don't care very much about what you are doing. If I had three of those TVs arrive broken, I would be ready to shoot myself--or someone else.

Hmmm...the LV shipped to me through AITWorldWide, not UPS. That would be pretty sad if the *upgraded* white glove delivery service was the source of the issue.

I don't know how just the center tab of the plastic could pop out of the bezel. I guess if it was dropped really hard that could be possible. The tabs closer to side couldn't pop out unless there was breakage (or top corner screw stripping).

At first I was skeptical this was shipping damage, but it seems much more plausible after thinking it through.
post #206 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Oh, they certainly do. There's also the issue of actually receiving review samples. I recall reading something in Home Theater (or posted somewhere by one of their contributors) at one point indicating that they had requested a (first generation) LaserVue and Mitsubishi would only allow them to review it under very controlled conditions, so HT declined to review it. Maybe Mits is concerned that they can't successfully deliver a working unit to them for review . How embarrassing would it be for Mits to have the review start out by saying "the first 23 samples arrived damaged, but the 24th set has been working fine..."?

Well, there are ways around everything. Remember this review/comparison of an early model Laservue with the Kuro Plasma?
http://www.thetechlounge.com/article...We-Meet-Again/

There should be another such review, but you're probably right that Mits is being too restrictive with regards to review samples.

That being said, I saw the 75 inch LV as mentioned before at a Paul's, and maybe someone did a bit of calibration, but the thing looked stunning. I'd also say that its off axis viewing was better than the first generation sets...possibly the Clear Contrast screen.

I also continue to believe that this model ships differently than other Mits DLPs, and maybe they have to rethink the packaging. The multiple instances of similar damage suggest this, but all these instances are, of course, unacceptable.

But today I'm more concerned with how Congress may pass the IP Protection bill that may fundamentally alter the internet in an adverse way. Copyright protections are important, but this law may also be used improperly to impinge on privacy, and control content. I enjoy being on forums, diversity of views, and access to ideas. I'm going to call my Representatives today.

Sorry for the rant, but I just read about what the bill means before jumping on the AV Forum.
post #207 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:

Hmmm...the LV shipped to me through AITWorldWide, not UPS. That would be pretty sad if the *upgraded* white glove delivery service was the source of the issue.

I don't know how just the center tab of the plastic could pop out of the bezel. I guess if it was dropped really hard that could be possible. The tabs closer to side couldn't pop out unless there was breakage (or top corner screw stripping).

At first I was skeptical this was shipping damage, but it seems much more plausible after thinking it through.

You might be on to something there. These "white glove" delivery services might not be used to dealing with tv sets over a certain size if they're mainly used to delivering LCDs and Plasmas. The premium is for the extra stuff they do once it is inside your house (setting it up, taking away the packaging, etc.) rather than the process of getting it to your front door. This may explain why sets have been seen stacked improperly in the backs of trucks and the trucks have no lift mechanism needed for large (DLP-size) tvs.
UPS, on the other, is used to dealing with packages of every size. Even if they only have a single delivery person, they have equipment for moving large, bulky containers. Plus, they deal with orders of magnitude more deliveries than these companies that specialize in delivering home theater equipment, so they are masters at packing and unloading their trucks properly. Note to self: Never pay extra for white glove delivery.
post #208 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 04:52 PM

Hello all new to the forum. I live in San Diego and am interested in seeing the laservue in person. Went to tv jacks seeing as he had alot of Mitsubishi tvs for sale. But come to find out he ordered them when they first came out and stopped selling them due to the picture being horrible, is what he said lol don't know that would be possible though, maybe he just didn't calibrate it. I'm interested in buyin one but can't find any dealer that has one on display here in San Diego. Anyone know?
post #209 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjoemeat View Post

Hello all new to the forum. I live in San Diego and am interested in seeing the laservue in person. Went to tv jacks seeing as he had alot of Mitsubishi tvs for sale. But come to find out he ordered them when they first came out and stopped selling them due to the picture being horrible, is what he said lol don't know that would be possible though, maybe he just didn't calibrate it. I'm interested in buyin one but can't find any dealer that has one on display here in San Diego. Anyone know?

I just spoke with Curtis, the Mits specialist at Paul's in Irvine, which is not far from you. They have the Laservue on display. I recently saw the Laservue at a Paul's further north, and it was properly set up with a great picture.

I also saw the Elite 70 inch at BB, but preferred the LV. As I've stated elsewhere, I much prefer rear projection to LCD, as RPTV is much easier on the eyes. But if in the future FED ever incarnates in a large display I might be more inclined towards flat panel.

I'm PMing the address and phone number to you.
post #210 of 747 Old 11-23-2011, 07:46 PM

Right on! thanks
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi L75 A94 Laservue 75 Inch 1080p Projection Tv , Pioneer Pro 141fd 59 6 Elite Kuro Plasma Panel Widescreen 1080p Fullhd
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page