Official 2011 Mitsubishi Laservue L75-A94 Owner's Thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 741 Old 08-14-2011, 01:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Just got the L75-A94 on Friday, August 12th. The TV is huge, but I really like the minimalist design of it. The brushed aluminum makes these tvs look very sleek. Here are a few pics below of it in action. The 1st pic is of Blade Runner: The Final Cut on BluRay on my Pioneer Kuro Elite 141. I took another a picture of the same scene on the Laservue and that is the second pic. The Laservue is capable of showing A LOT of detail. The other pics are of Pirates of the Carribean on DirecTv, Infamous 2 on the PS3, and the black menu screen on the PS3 to give you an idea of the black levels. Although the Laservue cannot go as dark as the Kuro, it can get very dark and show a lot of shadow detail. I had never seen the older models, so I'm not sure as to how the A94 compares to them. The settings out of the box are horrible. I was worried at 1st, but then I used my Disney WOW disc to do a little calibration and it got a lot better. These shots are all from the bright mode.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 741 Old 08-14-2011, 01:58 PM - Thread Starter

This is the pic I had meant to show of Blade Runner on my Kuro. The one above is on the Kuro, but I had changed the aspect ratio to full screen when I took that one. Here is a better comparison: 1st pic Kuro, 2nd pic Laservue
LL
LL
post #3 of 741 Old 08-14-2011, 03:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked: 82
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickdeckard123 View Post

This is the pic I had meant to show of Blade Runner on my Kuro. The one above is on the Kuro, but I had changed the aspect ratio to full screen when I took that one. Here is a better comparison: 1st pic Kuro, 2nd pic Laservue

I like the Kuro one better, but I don't know if it's just the timing during the sceen and the shot that gives it more color and let brightness. They both look good though. What's your viewing distance from the Laservue and what sized did you come from?

Thanks,

Lowell

Lowell

The MARVELous Home Theater: http://www.avsforum.com/forum/19-ded...e-theater.html
post #4 of 741 Old 08-14-2011, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Both of those shots were shot basically under the same lighting conditions and from the same distance. The Kuro was 60 inch and I sit about 9 feet from the Laservue. The best way to describe the Laservue is that it's different. I don't necessarily know if it's better than my Kuro, but the picture on the Laservue is more vibrant and colorful. I love the Kuro, but the picture can sometimes seems dull and not enough "pop" to it. The Laservue is much more cinematic. I have more pics of the Kuro in action and I will take more pics of the Laservue to show the comparison.
post #5 of 741 Old 08-14-2011, 04:26 PM

How are the viewing angles? (Especially vertical.)
post #6 of 741 Old 08-14-2011, 06:13 PM - Thread Starter

The vertical viewing angle is really good. My couch is at about 20 inches and the stand the tv is on is 28 inches. No loss in picture when I stand up or sit down. There is some droppoff horizontally, but it is better than led lcds.
post #7 of 741 Old 08-14-2011, 06:34 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 310 Post(s)
Liked: 533
post #8 of 741 Old 08-14-2011, 08:10 PM - Thread Starter

The 1st pic is from the Star Trek bluray on my Kuro and the 2nd pic is roughly the same scene on my Laservue. The reds on the Laservue are definitely different and more fiery than any other television that I have ever seen. The rest are from Star Trek as well.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
post #9 of 741 Old 08-15-2011, 06:34 AM

Liked: 11
B e a utiful
post #10 of 741 Old 08-15-2011, 07:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked: 78
It's hard, in one sense, to compare as the Laservue, if I understand correctly, has not been calibrated. I wonder if there is a reference tool to see how closely each set comes close to an ideal.

Given this, the two displays, as currently set up, seem to emphasize different
parts of the color spectrum. The Laservue shows a lot of detail in the shot of the eye...more than the Kuro, but the color balance is different.
post #11 of 741 Old 08-15-2011, 10:10 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

It's hard, in one sense, to compare as the Laservue, if I understand correctly, has not been calibrated. I wonder if there is a reference tool to see how closely each set comes close to an ideal.

Given this, the two displays, as currently set up, seem to emphasize different
parts of the color spectrum. The Laservue shows a lot of detail in the shot of the eye...more than the Kuro, but the color balance is different.

My Pioneer Kuro 141 had been professionally calibrated by UMR last year. The Laservue has had only a quick calibration by me using the Disney WOW bluray. It's hard to explain, but the Laservue just seems to put out a different kind of picture than any other tv. It does have a Natural and Cinema mode which seems closer to the Kuro shots, but I like the Bright mode because the detail and colors just pop.
post #12 of 741 Old 08-15-2011, 10:13 AM

Quote:

My Pioneer Kuro 141 had been professionally calibrated by UMR last year. The Laservue has had only a quick calibration by me using the Disney WOW bluray. It's hard to explain, but the Laservue just seems to put out a different kind of picture than any other tv. It does have a Natural and Cinema mode which seems closer to the Kuro shots, but I like the Bright mode because the detail and colors just pop.

Just put itt in Super Brilliant and call it a day bro

lmao jk
post #13 of 741 Old 08-15-2011, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Here is a pic of Dead Space 2 on the Xbox 360 and a pic The Fifth Element on SyFy.
LL
LL
post #14 of 741 Old 08-16-2011, 11:39 AM

Quote:

Here is a pic of Dead Space 2 on the Xbox 360 and a pic The Fifth Element on SyFy.

Amazing pics, how are you liking the new clear contrast screen and the television overall ?
post #15 of 741 Old 08-16-2011, 12:33 PM

I am interested in your opinions regarding 3d glasses for this years model of mits televisions. Should I buy last years ir 3d package or wait for the new ones to come out?
post #16 of 741 Old 08-16-2011, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandhunter View Post
I am interested in your opinions regarding 3d glasses for this years model of mits televisions. Should I buy last years ir 3d package or wait for the new ones to come out?

Out now and with the two options you are talking about you should get the new ones

http://www.amazon.com/Mitsubishi-3DG...=5336055023-20
post #17 of 741 Old 08-16-2011, 02:23 PM

Love the picture on Laservue... and I have noticed that the colors pop on it as well - and yes the Reds look different (nicer) on the Mits.

However, I am not sure about the new screen (clear contrast screen?) that's been added to the A94s. I saw the A94 recently as the local dealer and it seemed to me that CCS was adding some minor blur/haziness - notice the bright areas of the screen and you may notice tiny dots/artifacts that seem to be coming from the CCS. Was wondering if you notice that as well or it could be specific to the floor-model at the dealer.
post #18 of 741 Old 08-16-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by uplandhunter View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBoi View Post

Love the picture on Laservue... and I have noticed that the colors pop on it as well - and yes the Reds look different (nicer) on the Mits.

However, I am not sure about the new screen (clear contrast screen?) that's been added to the A94s. I saw the A94 recently as the local dealer and it seemed to me that CCS was adding some minor blur/haziness - notice the bright areas of the screen and you may notice tiny dots/artifacts that seem to be coming from the CCS. Was wondering if you notice that as well or it could be specific to the floor-model at the dealer.

I haven't tried the 3D yet. I'm not a big fan of any 3D due to the headaches I sometimes get. As far as the blur is concerned, the picture is somewhat softer and maybe a little hazy sometimes, but I think that is due to the source or feed it is receiving.
post #19 of 741 Old 08-16-2011, 08:56 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

Quote:

"Leeloo Dallas, mul-ti-pass"

Loved that movie, and Milla.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #20 of 741 Old 08-17-2011, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:

You're very lucky to have these two options. I agree that the Laservue I've seen, the original, has a unique look. The colors, specifically gold and red, look very striking. There is no question the Laservue simply pops.

But, I disagree with your earlier comment that the Laservue is more cinematic. An UMR calibrated Kuro is about as close to a film like picture as it gets. Well, short of FP anyway. I've never seen film look like the Laservue. Big, bright and spectacular has great appeal, there are lots of folks that would prefer to be bowled over rather than see something closer to film. Sporting events in HD, gaming, Pixar and so on are perfect for the Laservue. But if you want to see Gone With the Wind or the Ten Commandments look something like projected film, your Kuro is the way to go.

I'm jealous that you have such wonderful options!
post #21 of 741 Old 08-17-2011, 09:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thanks for starting this thread Rick.

It's very hard to know what to make of these pictures. For one, they are not the same frame. There is a bright light in the lower left of the cornea of the Mits picture, so that might mean the whole scene is brighter. Also, of course probably none of us are looking at these pictures with a calibrated monitor. Then too, you are using a cinematically calibrated Kuro to compare to the Brilliant or whatever setting it is called.

I don't know if you can do this but it would be helpful to see a comparison of the exact same frame (or it could just be a high quality static photograph on a thumb drive) through the Kuro as well as the Brilliant and Cinema modes of the Mits.

I'm seriously looking at getting one of these bad boys for my mini theater instead of a projection setup but have no access to a showroom within a few hundred miles. You're my only hope
post #22 of 741 Old 08-17-2011, 11:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ETERNIA FOREVER View Post

Amazing pics, how are you liking the new clear contrast screen and the television overall ?

I had never seen the 75-A91, so I don't know how the new screen compares to that model. It does show some reflections, but it is not that bad compared to some other screens, specifically some LED LCD that basically have mirrors for screens. I really like the tv. Like I said it is different than anything else I have ever had. It may seem like it's going backwards in terms of technology(rear projection, wobulation, etc.), but the picture it can produce with the right source can be amazing. I will say that the Kuro is better at standard defintion, though I don't tend to watch much of that anymore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by egrady View Post

You're very lucky to have these two options. I agree that the Laservue I've seen, the original, has a unique look. The colors, specifically gold and red, look very striking. There is no question the Laservue simply pops.

But, I disagree with your earlier comment that the Laservue is more cinematic. An UMR calibrated Kuro is about as close to a film like picture as it gets. Well, short of FP anyway. I've never seen film look like the Laservue. Big, bright and spectacular has great appeal, there are lots of folks that would prefer to be bowled over rather than see something closer to film. Sporting events in HD, gaming, Pixar and so on are perfect for the Laservue. But if you want to see Gone With the Wind or the Ten Commandments look something like projected film, your Kuro is the way to go.

I'm jealous that you have such wonderful options!

I see what you're saying, but when I went to go see Rise Of The Planets Of The Apes yesterday, I thought the color spectrum and contrast looked very similar to the Laservue. It was a theatre with a digital DLP projector, so maybe that's why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgarrison View Post

Thanks for starting this thread Rick.

It's very hard to know what to make of these pictures. For one, they are not the same frame. There is a bright light in the lower left of the cornea of the Mits picture, so that might mean the whole scene is brighter. Also, of course probably none of us are looking at these pictures with a calibrated monitor. Then too, you are using a cinematically calibrated Kuro to compare to the Brilliant or whatever setting it is called.

I don't know if you can do this but it would be helpful to see a comparison of the exact same frame (or it could just be a high quality static photograph on a thumb drive) through the Kuro as well as the Brilliant and Cinema modes of the Mits.

I'm seriously looking at getting one of these bad boys for my mini theater instead of a projection setup but have no access to a showroom within a few hundred miles. You're my only hope

I have some other shots of the Kuro in action and I will try to take more shots of the Laservue. I will get as close to the same frame as possible for the new shots.
post #23 of 741 Old 08-17-2011, 11:32 AM

Quote:

I have some other shots of the Kuro in action and I will try to take more shots of the Laservue. I will get as close to the same frame as possible for the new shots.

Another option may be to display a still HD images (7 megapix digital pic) - via a thumb drive perhaps - and then you could attached the original pic you put on the Kuro and Laservue here along with the photos of how it looked on those two displays.
post #24 of 741 Old 08-17-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:

I think the Laservue looks much nicer... clear, original skin tone and more details
post #25 of 741 Old 08-17-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:

[snip]... It may seem like it's going backwards in terms of technology(rear projection, wobulation, etc.), but the picture it can produce with the right source can be amazing.

DLP actually uses the newest technology of the display formats.

Plasma TV 1964
LCD 1983
DLP Projector 1996
DLP TV 2001

Quote:

June 1998: DLP Products receives an Emmy Award for Outstanding Achievement in Engineering Development from the Academy of Arts and Sciences. Dr. Larry Hornbeck also received an Emmy for inventing DLP technology.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #26 of 741 Old 08-18-2011, 08:30 PM

Looking to get a second job to acquire this bad boy. Any inputs from owners to reassure my decision would be greatly appreciated.
post #27 of 741 Old 08-19-2011, 10:51 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaddict View Post

Looking to get a second job to acquire this bad boy. Any inputs from owners to reassure my decision would be greatly appreciated.

I am very satisfied. The colors are incredible and very vibrant. Standard definition is so-so due to it's size. Hd and blurays are just incredible. One thing that I realized is that anything lower than the bright mode makes it look like a normal bulb based DLP. The bright mode with the settings calibrated, makes the picture just pop. I'll try to post some more pics tonight. I've been swamped with work this week.
post #28 of 741 Old 08-19-2011, 03:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Thanks for sharing those pictures. like other have pointed out, it is difficult to make a true comparison even if it was a frame to frame match. however, it appears to have a great picture and even better than I recalled from the 100 or so times I have looked at the 65A90 and 75A91 models.

maybe its time I dropped my beloved CRT?
post #29 of 741 Old 08-19-2011, 05:50 PM

Man, these TV's look sweet too...............

I hope Mitsubishi stays in the HUGE TV market for yrs to come.
post #30 of 741 Old 08-20-2011, 07:52 AM - Thread Starter

Here are a few shots of my Laservue setup.
LL
LL
LL
LL
LL
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi , Mitsubishi L75 A94 Laservue 75 Inch 1080p Projection Tv , Pioneer Pro 141fd 59 6 Elite Kuro Plasma Panel Widescreen 1080p Fullhd
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page