Forum Jump: 

post #361 of 381 Old 07-16-2012, 06:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Thanks for the response.

So would you say your set is cinematic? Have you watched any 3D material? cool.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #362 of 381 Old 07-19-2012, 12:15 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
If my rp crt didn't die, I would still have it. That said, it had a beautiful picture which impressed many people, however, due to the mirror like "screen" (which I later found out I could have removed) it was nearly unwatchable during the day.

I considered the DLP projectors, but I too remembered seeing the "rainbow" effects on earlier models and inaccurate colors out of the box ( I never had to have my rptv calibrated) and now there was no way for me to even try one out in a showroom.

The plasma I replaced it with has no glare during the day while watching straight on and a small amount of glare from the sides, and the colors are simply amazing, it definitely has that immersive feel to it.
post #363 of 381 Old 07-20-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overdrive79 View Post

If my rp crt didn't die, I would still have it. That said, it had a beautiful picture which impressed many people, however, due to the mirror like "screen" (which I later found out I could have removed) it was nearly unwatchable during the day.
I considered the DLP projectors, but I too remembered seeing the "rainbow" effects on earlier models and inaccurate colors out of the box ( I never had to have my rptv calibrated) and now there was no way for me to even try one out in a showroom.
The plasma I replaced it with has no glare during the day while watching straight on and a small amount of glare from the sides, and the colors are simply amazing, it definitely has that immersive feel to it.

My CRT RP might always be the best TV I ever own. I took the glare screen off on day one, and it provided the best daytime viewing you will ever see. Windows open, bright lights turned on in the house- perfect picture with no glare. It's a Mitsubishi, and you just take off clips on each side of the screen and slide the glare screen cover right out. I'm a bit irritated that TV's are no longer built with taking these horrible screens off in mind. Well, at least for DLPs. My DLP has a matte screen, but there's still some glare and the bumpy matte coating gives the effect of being covered in glitter in bright scenes(I assume that's what it is caused by). On the other hand a clear screen is unwatchable except in complete darkness.
post #364 of 381 Old 07-21-2012, 03:57 AM
Advanced Member

My latest findings about hatred with DLP RPTV is really not hatred. It seems it is either status (Cost & Wow factor) or ignorance. Though they both push the TV owner into the Cost & Wow factor criteria.

Mostly the Wow factor is new tech or following the Plasma route.

I am finding the reverse for LED DLP RPTV owners... It is more like LED DLP owners have a hatred (affinity) for being classed in with the old Bulb / Color Wheel DLP RPTV.

Even further, Mits owners will get bent out of shape, when told there laserview is really LED view.

Like what I said, hatred goes into a status class and seeing LED DLP keeping up with the rest fairly well.

Oh, then there is the Calibration factor... Once you see a proper calibration on LED DLP, you may have envy or hatred depending on your purchase.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #365 of 381 Old 07-21-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Tech View Post

...Even further, Mits owners will get bent out of shape, when told there laserview is really LED view...

Of course they will. Because you're wrong. A Light Emitting Diode is not the same as a Laser Diode, other than they both emit light.

One will not find a Samsung LED DLP with this warning

http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com/asset/file/owners_guide/OG-L75-A94.pdf

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #366 of 381 Old 07-21-2012, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Glad you posted that Augerhandle. Laser Diodes are certainly different, as regular LEDs do not output coherent light.
post #367 of 381 Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 AM
Advanced Member

LED, Laser LED they all be LED... Geezo, like we are to think a standard 30ma LED is driving the light output on LED based DLP.

A simple statement would have sufficed, but again your been arrogant since knowing ya.

Nope, I am not wrong... just being general with my statement, as many get confused with the word Laser being include with LED, as they are not as technical.

Show me a light engine from Mits, it is not much different than Sammy. Sammy uses Laser LED and there is a warning like that in the Sammy service manual.

Yes, my 2010 Panasonic 42C2 performs better than an S2 No floating blacks and keeps the lowest black levels.
post #368 of 381 Old 07-24-2012, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked: 49
Quote:

LED, Laser LED they all be LED... Geezo, like we are to think a standard 30ma LED is driving the light output on LED based DLP.

A simple statement would have sufficed, but again your been arrogant since knowing ya.

Nope, I am not wrong... just being general with my statement, as many get confused with the word Laser being include with LED, as they are not as technical.

I did make a simple statement. "A Light Emitting Diode is not the same as a Laser Diode, other than they both emit light." Here's another, "A Ferrarri Enzo is not the same as a Schwinn bicycle, other than they both can be driven on pavement." The similarity pretty much ends there.
Quote:

...Sammy uses Laser LED and there is a warning like that in the Sammy service manual.

Can you post a link to the manual to prove your claim that Samsung warns about lasers in its DLPs?

Let me save us all some time. Here's the service manual http://www.schematicsforfree.com/files/Video/Products/TV/Samsung%20HL67A750.pdf?action=download

Not one mention of Laser, or one warning to that effect. Nothing mentioned except LEDs. The same with the owner's manual. No Laser warnings at all.

Also, your statement directly contradicts what you stated less than a week ago in another thread, in which you attempted the opposite argument:
Quote:

...There is no way a real laser would be used in a RPTV...

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #369 of 381 Old 01-05-2013, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Texas Instruments invented a truly wonderful technology with DLP. Consumer televisions based on it FAIL in design/execution as a general rule. The chassis/optics aren't properly sealed from airborne contaminants, high voltage parts and bulbs farmed out to the lowest bid from China. Considering the dust issue alone DLPs look wonderful for about a year, look ok for 1 to 2 more and there after start to look genuinely ugly. Unless you're looking at the biggest screens, there isn't a real price advantage over LCD/Plasmas anymore. Cleaning the optics/mirrors properly is a time consuming/meticulous affair beyond the ability of most people, as well as many professional techs for that matter (which is why Samsung and others insist techs replace the entire light engine rather than attempt to clean it). It's too bad, really. TI could have stipulated certain design paremeters along with licensing of the technology to prevent most or all of these issues, thereby protecting the reputation of the technology needed for them to continue making money on it.

At this point between the newest x-gen gigantic quattrons that look fantastic and larger/lower wattage plasmas I would only recommend a DLP to people like myself that dont mind completely dissassembing the thing every two years to spend a day (or two) cleaning it out. A flat panel and microfiber cloth is the best combination for most people. If used DLP sets werent so available (and nearly free) on craigslist I doubt I would mess with them either.
post #370 of 381 Old 01-05-2013, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 26
And the used market is going to be the only place to get RP DLP TVs very soon with Mitsubishi leaving the market. With Samsung leaving in 2008, Mits was the last out there. Sucks because you could not beat the price/performance of at 70"+ DLP RPTV. frown.gif

Shan

post #371 of 381 Old 01-06-2013, 08:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Hatred? Acknowledging market realities and technology advancements and its impact of what used to be is "hatred"?

E.B. White said, "I arise in the morning torn between a desire to improve the world and a desire to enjoy the world. This makes it hard to plan the day."
post #372 of 381 Old 01-01-2014, 06:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 28
Don't know how I even found this thread with the last post being almost a year ago, but it was up in a box and I clicked on it. (ahhh…. now I see, it was a "sticky" thread at the top) Plus Mitsubishi is bailing on the whole rear projection DLP scene, after Samsung already did years ago. SAD. SAD. SAD. I have a 5 year old 61" LED DLP Sammy that has never given me a problem and I hope it works years more.

But this conversation below that I copy / pasted is golden with the spoken as gospel statements from aptly named member, "Low Tech" that my Sammy is in fact the same technology as the Laservue Mitsubishi sets. LMAO!! biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Quote: by Low Tech

Quote: by Augerhandle
I did make a simple statement. "A Light Emitting Diode is not the same as a Laser Diode, other than they both emit light." Here's another, "A Ferrarri Enzo is not the same as a Schwinn bicycle, other than they both can be driven on pavement." The similarity pretty much ends there.
Quote:

...Sammy uses Laser LED and there is a warning like that in the Sammy service manual.

Quote: by Augerhandle
Can you post a link to the manual to prove your claim that Samsung warns about lasers in its DLPs?

Let me save us all some time. Here's the service manual http://www.schematicsforfree.com/files/Video/Products/TV/Samsung%20HL67A750.pdf?action=download

Not one mention of Laser, or one warning to that effect. Nothing mentioned except LEDs. The same with the owner's manual. No Laser warnings at all.

Also, your statement directly contradicts what you stated less than a week ago in another thread, in which you attempted the opposite argument:
Quote:

...There is no way a real laser would be used in a RPTV...
post #373 of 381 Old 01-02-2014, 11:09 AM
AVS Club Gold

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked: 734
Wow, that was a blast from the past. I remember reading that post before.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #374 of 381 Old 01-02-2014, 07:56 PM
AVS Special Member

aaronwt, I remember reading your posts, I think, when I first bought that Sammy LED DLP. Is yours still with you and working? Have you had to repair anything?

I was reading mrbrian200's post above about dust getting on the DLP mirrors. Never thought about that. The cabinet seems pretty well sealed off except the small intake vent where air comes in from fan suction to cool the gear inside, before going out the small exhaust vent. Guess after 5 years there could be a build up, but to tell the truth the picture still looks great and I keep it on Low brightness setting to keep the heat down, not "Lowest" setting. Plenty of pop even in the daytime. I do remember my old square CRT rear projection set where the 3 guns collected dust and it looked brighter after I cleaned it. But it had more openings. Still I know dust has had to have gotten in there. Just don't think I should open it up and screw with it if ignorance is bliss and it still looks great to me?? If I wanted to screw with it, is there a link to any posts about how to do that?
post #375 of 381 Old 01-03-2014, 06:16 AM
AVS Club Gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonF View Post

aaronwt, I remember reading your posts, I think, when I first bought that Sammy LED DLP. Is yours still with you and working? Have you had to repair anything?

I was reading mrbrian200's post above about dust getting on the DLP mirrors. Never thought about that. The cabinet seems pretty well sealed off except the small intake vent where air comes in from fan suction to cool the gear inside, before going out the small exhaust vent. Guess after 5 years there could be a build up, but to tell the truth the picture still looks great and I keep it on Low brightness setting to keep the heat down, not "Lowest" setting. Plenty of pop even in the daytime. I do remember my old square CRT rear projection set where the 3 guns collected dust and it looked brighter after I cleaned it. But it had more openings. Still I know dust has had to have gotten in there. Just don't think I should open it up and screw with it if ignorance is bliss and it still looks great to me?? If I wanted to screw with it, is there a link to any posts about how to do that?

I still have the Sammy LED DLP and it does work great but right now I'm not using it on a regular basis. I plan on swapping it out with my bedroom Toshiba 2007 DLP set at some point, but I haven't done it yet. The Toshiba is still on the original bulb and still working fine too. An dsinc eI don't watch TV very much in the bedroom, I haven't been in a rush to swap them out. A year ago I replaced my 67" LED DLP with a Mitsubishi 82" DLP set at their closeout prices. The Mitsubishi has been a great replacement especially, at the price, but it does use twice as much power as the LED DLP set did. That is my only real complaint.

39TB unRAID1--53TB unRAID2--36TB unRAID3

XBL/PSN: WormholeXtreme

post #376 of 381 Old 01-03-2014, 04:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lbear View Post

The above makes no sense to me.
How does a flat screen, thin bezel, 73"+ flat screen look "severely out of place"?

You can dislike them, that's fine, that's your opinion. But the above comment you made has no validity.

How is this, "severly out of place and silly in a modern living room"?:

It's all well and good when you're talking about a marketing photo with a large open space, high ceiling, and a featureless wall wit nothing mounted on it. The TV looks almost wall-mounted in that image thanks to the flat light and featureless surfaces. DLPs dominate rooms in a way that plasma and LCD TVs just don't.

It's a bit different when you're talking about this, where the TV would protrude 4+ inches past the center channel and require a large piece of furniture to support it:

My dad also just went from a 60" DLP to a 65" wall-mounted plasma in his living room, and it is so much more spacious and inviting and modern looking in there I couldn't believe it. And that's in a 16x22' room.
Sorry to respond 2 years later, but this setup doesn't look good or save space at all. What you have doesn't take advantage of a thin, flat panel display. It would look so much much better with a nice cabinet below the tv to mount the center channel and have your receiver in a more reasonable location instead of wasting space in another corner.. What you did basically looks like you didn't know what to do because you were missing a proper media cabinet. You'd need a much cleaner setup to take advantage of the wall mounted tv. You also have floor standing speakers.
post #377 of 381 Old 01-03-2014, 07:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, sounds like someone has an axe to grind. Nice of you to slam their decorating taste when we all surely have seen laughably "less clean" setups than ^^^ the above. You've got a problem with his speakers too? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gif They should be given up because he has the flat panel mounted on a wall?
post #378 of 381 Old 04-27-2014, 05:03 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
I given my old 2008 50" Samsung dlp away to save power and stop my room from getting hot from the dlp lamp. dlp is not dead they use dlp in most movie theaters.
post #379 of 381 Old 09-09-2014, 02:35 PM

Liked: 0
Hello,

I somewhat recently got an old Mitsubishi WD-52628 DLP from my grandparents. Currently struggling to get it back in working shape. What would you say are the main benefits of DLP over some newer types of TVs? Do you know anything about the latency of the set? I am also interested in using it for gaming occasionally. Thanks
post #380 of 381 Old 09-09-2014, 03:08 PM
AVS Club Gold

DLP is much much faster than any LCD set. I think it's at least a couple orders of magnitude faster.
post #381 of 381 Old 09-13-2014, 10:12 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Strange thread - after reading the post stating Sammy DLP LED sets have laser diodes, I thought: "first thing I read is misinformation, so I'm going to skip this thread". I do want to state that my HL-T6187S Sammy that I purchased 8/31/2007 still has a better picture than any flat screen I've seen in any store. I did have it ISF calibrated about 6 months after I bought it. In the last couple of months, it has developed about a dozen dead pixels, so I plan to swap out the DMD board. Also, just in case, I have a red LED and Arctic Silver ready to install.
Reply Rear Projection Units

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page