Why the hatred for DLP? - Page 14 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 4Likes

post #391 of 404 Old 01-25-2016, 05:47 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I am not a fan of DLP either
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #392 of 404 Old 01-25-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked: 594
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rattanee View Post
I never really saw the point of DLP... the regular bulb replacements cost a pretty penny for most models, and there are numerous other problems... if going RP, I would have chosen CRT projection over DLP any day.... I read folks saying they spent 2200$ and happy to have got 4 years of use out of the set... that just means you're lucky to be able to spend $2200 on a new TV every 4 years... in all honesty, both technologies had drawbacks, but overall I am fairly certain DLP sets needed more regular maintenance and had developed more faults... (that is not to say CRT had no faults, and obviously had less light output... then again I'm still using CRT RP sets made in the 90's in some of my arcade games...)

The point was that it was much larger (73"-82"-92") for less money than a smaller LCD or plasma (73" were sold for around $1000), and after a few years (when the LCDs and plasmas had faded and skewed colors) one could simply replace the lamp, and the TV would be as stunning and accurate as new. Replacing a lamp every few years adds up, but is MUCH cheaper than replacing the whole TV.

I've had the same DLP for over six years. I've never had a lamp go out, but I change the lamp every two or three years ($120), and it's like having a brand new TV every time. Any trouble I've ever had was outside the warranty period, and Mitsubishi still fixed it for free. I would buy a used DLP rather than buy a new LCD/LED.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #393 of 404 Old 01-25-2016, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesse Lamb View Post
I am not a fan of DLP either

I'm not a fan of LCD either. But I don't hate them.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb
_____________________ http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/auger-handle/ ____________________________
post #394 of 404 Old 01-25-2016, 08:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked: 125
Only reason I finally gave up my DLP for LCD is for 4K. Now that 4K DLP is on the horizon, I wonder whether DLP RPTV will make a comeback, at least in larger screen sizes for those that don't want a PJ? I'm not really happy with the state of LCD at the moment. For the same $3500 it cost me for my 65" DLP back in 2008, I got a 75" LCD with both banding and clouding issues. I'd take rainbows, which I barely noticed 1% of the time, over the banding and clouding I notice much more often... and the LCD I got is better than most samples I've seen.

Denon AVR X7200WA, Emotiva XPR-5, Emotiva XPA-7, Sony XBR 75" 850C, Oppo BDP-103D, Roku 4.
DefTech BP7000SC (L/R), CLR3000 (C), SM55 (FH), UIW BPZ/A (SB), UIW 75 (TM).
JBL L7 (Sur), EoSone RSR 350 (RH).

PC 2.1 setup. Emotiva Stealth 6, SVS SB2000 sub, Emotiva DC-1 DAC.
post #395 of 404 Old 01-27-2016, 01:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle View Post
The point was that it was much larger (73"-82"-92") for less money than a smaller LCD or plasma (73" were sold for around $1000), and after a few years (when the LCDs and plasmas had faded and skewed colors) one could simply replace the lamp, and the TV would be as stunning and accurate as new. Replacing a lamp every few years adds up, but is MUCH cheaper than replacing the whole TV.

I've had the same DLP for over six years. I've never had a lamp go out, but I change the lamp every two or three years ($120), and it's like having a brand new TV every time. Any trouble I've ever had was outside the warranty period, and Mitsubishi still fixed it for free. I would buy a used DLP rather than buy a new LCD/LED.
I don't think LCDs loose much of their colours outside of special cases and really old models, and except for the very cheap models the picture quality should not be inferior to any dlp. Admittedly, they may be more expensive in the premium size categories... I myself have a 50" fullHD plasma made by LG that I bought something like 6 years ago... I have had no problems at all, and have no burn-in problems either. Also, if I want, I can have colours so bright it'll burn into your retinae I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Prices are probably a lot different between here and there, but pretty much any DLP bulb starts at $200 around here... It is also the reason I'm tossing my NEC DLP projector... not worth the price of the bulb...
post #396 of 404 Old 01-27-2016, 02:11 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 24
I just bought 3 top of the line dlp lamps for $225 shipped - not sure where you are????

I prefer DLP for the more natural picture, LCD motion blur and cartoon look just doesn't work for my eyes.

Plasma didn't have the LCD problems but the plasma hurt my eyes for some reason - I gave mine to my parents and they are happy with it, though they are happy with not watching HD also haha.

But I am glad there are other options - it would be boring if there was only one
post #397 of 404 Old 01-27-2016, 07:33 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I don't think LCDs loose much of their colours outside of special cases and really old models, and except for the very cheap models the picture quality should not be inferior to any dlp. Admittedly, they may be more expensive in the premium size categories... I myself have a 50" fullHD plasma made by LG that I bought something like 6 years ago... I have had no problems at all, and have no burn-in problems either. Also, if I want, I can have colours so bright it'll burn into your retinae I'd buy it again in a heartbeat.

Prices are probably a lot different between here and there, but pretty much any DLP bulb starts at $200 around here... It is also the reason I'm tossing my NEC DLP projector... not worth the price of the bulb...

In ALL LCDs, each color (Red, Green, Blue) ages at a different rate, with the result being a shift to green or yellow. It's unavoidable. That's why there are hybrid LCD/DLP projectors.

The color spectrum also shifts slightly as a DLP lamp ages, but replacing the lamp is dirt cheap in comparison. Mitsubishi's lamp prices were cut almost in half starting with the 2008 model year, so no more $250 lamp myths, please.

post #398 of 404 Old 01-28-2016, 02:46 AM

Quote:
In ALL LCDs, each color (Red, Green, Blue) ages at a different rate, with the result being a shift to green or yellow. It's unavoidable. That's why there are hybrid LCD/DLP projectors.

The color spectrum also shifts slightly as a DLP lamp ages, but replacing the lamp is dirt cheap in comparison. Mitsubishi's lamp prices were cut almost in half starting with the 2008 model year, so no more $250 lamp myths, please.
I own at least 10 differently aged LCD screens (from Viewsonic to Sony and Dell, and even some noname ones) , and none of them have any visible colour shifting Some of them are over 10 years old at this point, and as computer monitors they worked a lot harder then any LCD tv. I guess I just got lucky? I can see how a bulb replacement giving you a fresh picture is a good thing, but no matter how I looked at it, I could never justify getting something that I knew would need regular maintenance. Honestly, if I had my way, I'd still be watching a CRT. Buying a flyback transformer for $30 over a period of 20 years is prety good reliability, and if maintained and set up properly a CRT still gives a more viabrant picture then most display technologies today (one could argue about the benefits of plasma screens, and the lower refresh rates on CRTs giving less fluid motion.

I guess it really all comes down to personal preferences. If I pay big money for something, I won't choose the one with the highest maintenance costs.
post #399 of 404 Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
... I can see how a bulb replacement giving you a fresh picture is a good thing, but no matter how I looked at it, I could never justify getting something that I knew would need regular maintenance...

So, you've never owned a lamp?

|Tch0rT| likes this.

post #400 of 404 Old 01-28-2016, 10:59 PM

There's a significant price difference

Let me put it this way. DLP is overmistified by techs. I'm in Hungary, and let's just say that translating manuals is not the strength of our country. Most people who bought DLPs went into it blind, and ended up having no idea what really was wrong with their sets when the bulb went. Even when they know it's a bulb problem, they usually end up taking the set to the service centre to have the bulb replaced because they think it's a big job. The service centres of course aren't known for their honesty and cheap prices, so they usually ended up billing out more then was necessary, like adding a colour wheel replacement to the price even though it was probably not necessary. Ergo, when folks hear from the repair centre that they need to spend the price of a small LCD to get their DLP working again, they just abandon ship and leave the set.

You would probably agree that this is the fault of whoever doesn't bother to know his set, but this is probably why folks who hate DLP hate it...

As for my personal experience? I never had a rear projection DLP, only a ceiling mounted projector, so I can only share my experience regarding a not-so-cheap NEC HT1000. The $5000 price-tag would indicate something good no? I bought it with 300 hours from the first owner, and I was only really happy with it when I first got it, because I could finally watch a wall-sized image. The almost non-existent black level, and the (compared to CRT, plasma, and even some better LCDs) washed out image, coupled with a merely 1000 hour lamp life (2000 with reduced brightness in ECO mode) isn't the pinaccle of viewing.
Even though it was never used in anything other then ECO mode, at 1600 hours, the image is unwatchably dim. A replacement bulb unit costs around 36000 HUF plus shipping (that would be about $130), and that is a chinese aftermarket bulb, with god only knows how short a lifespan. (Yes I know I could replace the bare bulb only inside the cartridge, but that again would be a chinese aftermarket bulb, and looking at the casual user, most folks don't have the equipment to do so...) Add to that the fact that something is probably wrong with either the colour wheel, or the input board, (the colour red will occasionally disappear and only come back by restarting the projector, if at all) and you know why I would not buy DLP again... At this point it is not worth to repair, and since the electronics are so compact that the only way to repair is to replace modules, it can't even really be sold for parts... ie, it will end up in the trash can.

All in all, DLP has a good enough image when it works, but once anything other then the bulb goes, you're better off dumping the set.

Quote:
So, you've never owned a lamp?

post #401 of 404 Old 01-29-2016, 08:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
...You would probably agree that this is the fault of whoever doesn't bother to know his set, but this is probably why folks who hate DLP hate it...

As for my personal experience? I never had a rear projection DLP, only a ceiling mounted projector, so I can only share my experience regarding a not-so-cheap NEC HT1000. The $5000 price-tag would indicate something good no? I bought it with 300 hours from the first owner, and I was only really happy with it when I first got it, because I could finally watch a wall-sized image. The almost non-existent black level, and the (compared to CRT, plasma, and even some better LCDs) washed out image, coupled with a merely 1000 hour lamp life (2000 with reduced brightness in ECO mode) isn't the pinaccle of viewing.
Even though it was never used in anything other then ECO mode, at 1600 hours, the image is unwatchably dim. A replacement bulb unit costs around 36000 HUF plus shipping (that would be about $130), and that is a chinese aftermarket bulb, with god only knows how short a lifespan. (Yes I know I could replace the bare bulb only inside the cartridge, but that again would be a chinese aftermarket bulb, and looking at the casual user, most folks don't have the equipment to do so...) Add to that the fact that something is probably wrong with either the colour wheel, or the input board, (the colour red will occasionally disappear and only come back by restarting the projector, if at all) and you know why I would not buy DLP again... At this point it is not worth to repair, and since the electronics are so compact that the only way to repair is to replace modules, it can't even really be sold for parts... ie, it will end up in the trash can.

All in all, DLP has a good enough image when it works, but once anything other then the bulb goes, you're better off dumping the set.

Well, compared to a TV, yes a projector might seem dim. That's why cinemas are dark. Plus, a lot depends on the brand and model. That NEC projector is from 2002, and isn't even native HD. It has an XGA 1024 x 768 resolution with a 4:3 aspect ratio (XGA was introduced by IBM in 1990), rather than the HD 1920 x 1080 resolution with a 16:9 aspect ratio.

Mitsubishi has been a well respected rear-projection brand since at least the eighties, and I've been very happy with my DLP-TV experience.

Most everything I have read about DLPs that was negative has been old, outdated stuff from the very early days and a lot was just pure myth. I remember one person complaining that DLP TVs were big and heavy, so I showed him the spec sheet, and it turned out that the 73" DLP weighed less than his (much smaller) LCD! another called DLP "old tech", yet Plasma and LCD tech is much older, and DLP is the newest invention (and newest to market) of the three.

Oh well. Haters gonna hate, LOL
|Tch0rT| likes this.

post #402 of 404 Old 01-29-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Well, compared to a TV, yes a projector might seem dim...
Actually it's not that it was dim, it was washed out... blacks were always gray-ish, though with the bulb still doing fine, the colours were bright enough to offset that most of the time. It's the light output of the bulb that's lowered significantly when I stopped using it, even though it's claimed to last 2000 hours and it's not reached that yet, causing a very dim and nowhere near colour-perfect image... I went CRT projection some time ago, and never looked back. Less light output comparatively, but much more vivid colours and no pixels to boot...
post #403 of 404 Old 02-13-2016, 07:55 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 53
I loved my DLP set. It was affordable, pq was excellent, and it was light and easy to move lol
I had an LG 52DC2D, I don't remember the exact year I purchased it, I want to say 2006-2007. I was smart enough to purchase the extended warranty, which I had to use when the color wheel went rather early in it's life. I replaced the bulb in 2012/2013, the factory one had an amazing (to me anyway) 10,000 hours on it. The TV finally reached a point where I decided to retire it when the color wheel went again in the fall of 2015.
I think the hatred comes from consumers who had a bad experience. My uncle only got a year or so out of his before he started to have issues with his Samsung unit. The only part he was happy about was that he purchased an extended warranty on it. He ended up getting a new Sony lcd from his extended warranty program which is still going today.
post #404 of 404 Old 02-13-2016, 08:05 PM
AVS Special Member

I just replaced the lamp in my 2008 Mitsubishi, and it's like new again.

No Extended Warranty, yet a bad DMD chip was replaced by Mits in 2013, a full four years out of the original warranty. It pays to buy the right brand.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page