Why the hatred for DLP? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #211 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 12:08 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked: 161
I think someone should start a "Why the hatred for Plasma's.

Abundant OTA television is what makes this country different from all others. Lets keep it this way. If you like Wi-Fi so much, OTA fits right in. After all, it is wireless.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 12:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by videobruce View Post

i think someone should start a "why the hatred for plasma's.

:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d:d
post #213 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 02:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

:d

Why the hatred?
post #214 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 06:33 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Why the hatred?

Haters gonna hate

Mitsubishi WD-73640 3D DLP HDTV | Pioneer VSX-1121-K 7.2 A/V Receiver | BIC America Formula F-12 Sub | JBL Studio 190x2 , 180x2, 130x2 (Rear Surrounds), 120c Speakers | Intel DX58SO | I7 975 @ 3.3Ghz | Windows 8.1 64bit
post #215 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 07:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Why the hatred?

HUH? All I did was post a smiley face on his comment because I found it humorous. You're assuming I have a hatred for plasmas cause I posted a smiley face, I don't even have an opinion on them. If there's anything I really hate it's stupidity. WTF
post #216 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 07:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Smiley? Try one of these colour --->

Keep calm and drive a Camaro
post #217 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 07:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich3fan View Post

Smiley? Try one of these colour --->

Just noticed that, don't why it's not displaying correctly tried editing and no change??????
post #218 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 08:03 PM

For the record, I can recall saying on more then one occasion "my next HDTV's going to be a DLP". Also if I ever got a projector it would be a DLP.

My first HDTV was an RCA F38310 38" CRT. The DLP's looked nice because they were so much bigger and affordable. I had some concerns about rainbows and viewing angles but in the end it just happened to be that by the time I upgraded plasma and LCD had their pricing wars and next thing I know a 60" LCD can be had for $719 after black friday.

Maybe if I had a media room and wanted 82" I'd pick up a DLP. Otherwise it's not that I "hate" DLPs, it's just time moved on and we never hooked up.
post #219 of 382 Old 12-10-2011, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
Quote:
Originally Posted by colour View Post

HUH? All I did was post a smiley face on his comment because I found it humorous. You're assuming I have a hatred for plasmas cause I posted a smiley face, I don't even have an opinion on them. If there's anything I really hate it's stupidity. WTF

I was simply making an observation about the whole notion of hating anything, particularly a technology or an inanimate object, like a display. It was a reaction to the language that framed the title of this thread.

I never assumed that you hated plasma, or anything else. It was obvious, without a smiley face, that you were making fun of the original concept.
post #220 of 382 Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrpai View Post

For the record, I can recall saying on more then one occasion "my next HDTV's going to be a DLP". Also if I ever got a projector it would be a DLP.

My first HDTV was an RCA F38310 38" CRT. The DLP's looked nice because they were so much bigger and affordable. I had some concerns about rainbows and viewing angles but in the end it just happened to be that by the time I upgraded plasma and LCD had their pricing wars and next thing I know a 60" LCD can be had for $719 after black friday.

And a 73" 3D tv could be had for $699, so what was your point again?
post #221 of 382 Old 12-11-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69mach1-377 View Post

And a 73" 3D tv could be had for $699, so what was your point again?

I'm guessing your talking about the wd-73640 that was on sale for BF.

Well, my 47" downstairs is 4.5 years old. I could always move the 60" downstairs and put the 73 in my gameroom. Really, dude, I don't have anything against DLP's. It just hasn't happened for me yet. Maybe HDTV #6 will be a DLP.
post #222 of 382 Old 12-14-2011, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by aydu View Post

Most DLP hatred comes from people that have owned them. It has nothing to do with picture quality, but the fact that the sets were unreliable, and repair costs high.

Anybody that ever bought a DLP set had to factor in the cost of an extended warranty with the purchase price of their set. If they were wise, they also bought a lamp warranty, if the extended warranty didn't cover it.

One of the selling points of DLP technology was that the set would last long term and that by replacing the lamp every few years you got that new set picture quality renewed. Unfortunately, due to the use of cheap parts, many moving parts in the sets, and long term damage to the DLP chips due to heat, the sets died young and were expensive to repair.

I've owned one, loved the pq, but would never buy another DLP based product.

I have owned at Mitsu 73 inch for over 4 years, absolutely no problems. I know I will have to buy an $80 bulb and spend 5 minutes replacing it soon, but set is pretty bulletproof.

My 82 inch in my HT room has also been 100% reliable.
post #223 of 382 Old 12-14-2011, 10:58 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan View Post

It's not really that different. I don't hate DLP, but I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would buy a DLP other than the fact that it's the cheapest technology.

Yes, the picture can be very good technically. Great color, great tonal balance, great motion, great contrast. But you're still looking at a picture being projected through a projection screen. It looks old-fashioned and just lacks the overall feel of a direct-view or front projection unit.

So for the OP, that's the answer. A lot of people simply dislike that 'quality' of a RP set. And the boxes are, honestly, big and ugly.

So basically you are saying that the picture has great color, tonal balance, motion, and contrast...in short is superb, but criticize it for having a subjective quality of "old fiashioned-ness? That is like saying a Porsch GT2 has great performance but is a lesser car than a Prius because it rely's on the old "gas based technology" instead of hybrid technology.
post #224 of 382 Old 12-14-2011, 11:34 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

So basically you are saying that the picture has great color, tonal balance, motion, and contrast...in short is superb, but criticize it for having a subjective quality of "old fiashioned-ness? That is like saying a Porsch GT2 has great performance but is a lesser car than a Prius because it rely's on the old "gas based technology" instead of hybrid technology.

No it's not. The picture itself just has a certain quality about it. I don't know how it can be quantified, but the look of the image being projected through a screen doesn't compare to other technologies for me.
post #225 of 382 Old 12-16-2011, 07:49 AM

I had a 47" Panasonic rear projection set, purchased in 2000 when screens that size in a good brand finally broke the $2000 price barrier. It was actually very good with DVD on progressive scan in a dark room but was not match for the LCD's that had started to appear several years later. Four or so years ago I was ready to upgrade to Blu-ray and a larger screen. The best thing I could find was a Samsung 61" DLP with LED light source (no color wheel) at about $1800. A comparably sized LCD or plasma at the time was between $4K and $5K - out of my price range. Two years ago, with prices having dropped a great deal,, I acquired a 40" Samsung 1080P LCD for my bedroom. Although the 61" DLP set is not good when there are high ambient light levels in the room, I find that when properly calibrated it delivers a far more "film-like" image than my 40" LCD and I strongly prefer it. My viewing distance to the 61" set is about 8 feet whereas the distance to the 40" is 11 feet. One might think that the smaller screen, viewed from further back, with LCD vs. DLP, would look better in terms of crispness and resolution. When the source is Roku streaming of Netflix titles at 720P it has a very slight edge but for Blu-ray at 1080P the 61" DLP actually looks better from closer up. I accept that the technology will probably go away and I've also seen a LOT of horrible looking images in rear projection sets - including some DLP models. But for those of us with a good DLP set, properly calibrated, and in a space where the depth is not an issue (it certainly isn't for me) the experience is every bit as good as LCD or plasma. I'm sure my next move will be a projector but I swear by my DLP set and friends who see it are blown away by the image quality. Four years in... my maintenance costs have been zero.
post #226 of 382 Old 12-16-2011, 12:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

No it's not. The picture itself just has a certain quality about it. I don't know how it can be quantified, but the look of the image being projected through a screen doesn't compare to other technologies for me.

For you. This is obviously subjective. Also like any TV technology there are sweet spots in terms of size and implementation. I just ordered my 4th new DLP in slightly less than six years a 92" this time with a clear screen.

It needs the right room lighting because it has a very clear screen and is reflective something common to many high end plasmas and LED displays. The clear screens produce image quality that people have not seen before in rear projection. With a pro level calibration, something routine for me the 92" image will be nothing short of spectacular in my viewing room. The price of the set is a fraction of a 70" Elite, and less than the typical street price of the 80" Sharp.

Why have I bought so many DLPs, because I like big displays and I like the image they produce. As larger and larger rear projectors have come out I have upgraded. All the sets I bought during the 6 years are still in service. I gave a 72" Sammy to my brother when I bought the current 82" Mits. He gave me a 56" Sammy which is in my Mother-In-Law's home. My first set was a 65" HP and is still running fine. I have a 58" Panny Plasma in the bedroom and it gets almost no use. Not really anything wrong with the plasma. It was wall mounted and we found we just did not use it. I prefer the look of the DLP frankly. I have a bunch of mid-size LEDs around as PC displays so it is not like I am only a DLP rear projector guy. They work well in my large rooms and I can afford them. From a technology point of view I am agnostic.

I will say there are a lot DLPs out there that are poorly setup. They don't show well in most AV stores because they don't make the same amount of light. But just because they show LCDs in stores at 70-100 ft lamberts doen't mean any sane person uses them that way in the home, so for the most part they make similar amounts of light to DLP when you get them setup properly. Blastingly bright is an advantage when Mom and Pop come in to big box store and looks at a myriad of virtually identical panels.

I would prefer front projection if it fit my lifestyle but it doesn't. Big DLP rear projectors do and unless you are an early adopter and over pay they are usually by far the biggest bang for the buck year in and year out. Finally the advent of reliable and affordable 3rd party warranty extensions takes the overdone fear factor out.

Just another blank signature.
post #227 of 382 Old 12-16-2011, 12:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

For you. This is obviously subjective.

Yes. For me. It's an opinion. I have nothing personally against DLP (who can have something against a particular TV technology?) and encourage other people to consider DLP as an option.
post #228 of 382 Old 12-17-2011, 05:01 AM

Liked: 11
Hey guys! I'm new to the forum as of today and I had a big feeling I would find just this sort of thread here. I'm am very happy to add some personal experience...

I currently own both an RPTV (Mitsubishi 73737) and a 1080p plasma (Zenith 50" Z50P220) I can definitely help you guys out with this...

Although my plasma is NOT 3d ready I LOVE the picture it gives and for its price tag (less than $500 plus tax)... I could not turn it down. It has been a great addition for the wife and I in the bedroom. So, while I cant compare the 3D picture. I can tell you I have had zero issues with either tv so far...

The picture on the plasma is amazing. Colors are vibrant and images crystal clear. And while its great for its price/size, ($10 per inch) it is NOT comparable to having a 73" home theater in the living room. I bought my 'Mits' as your referring to them about 2 years ago new from a local HH Gregg and have loved every second of its ownership. I also purchased a 5yr full coverage warranty so any future issues, bulbs, etc are covered. There have been ZERO so far (knock on wood.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei View Post

There are alot of techphiles, audiophiles, and videophiles around here. That's not a knock of this place I love it for the advice and help. But some people have to have the absolute best and if it's not incredible they will knock it.

Ofcourse a large DLP will not give you the insane detail, color, and sharpness of a smaller LED or Plasma. But they provide a great big picture for a bargain price. My most expensive speaker system happens to be around my large DLP, not my plasma.

So is mine although I'm thinking the plasma is going to get a nicer audio setup very soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha-rules View Post

Bytor prove how im wrong. The proof that im right is everyone on here posting about lights going out, the Dlp chips going out, and so on. And yes any thing can break. Reread the first sentence of my post. Dlp from my point of view is like a girlfriend. They look good and are fun but they are high maintenance and expensive.

Lbear believe it or not they had samsungs and songs for about $100 cheaper than vizio. Wasn't really looking for a tv but a friend of mine was and I bumped into him. And no im not getting any more detailed since there's a rule against posting pricing.

Draven you are right and wrong. I see the main problem being producing that many pixels in one sheet since most consumers wont tolotate bad pixels. I remember when if there were less than 5 bad ones total or 3 together it was considered good by dell at least. But overall fixed pixel technology has a limited life span before its out of date, compared to crt projection that was around long before 1080 was king, and handles it just fine

The "information" you are reading from other people on here is OPINION and not fact for the most part.

Quote:

For you. This is obviously subjective. Also like any TV technology there are sweet spots in terms of size and implementation. I just ordered my 4th new DLP in slightly less than six years a 92" this time with a clear screen.

It needs the right room lighting because it has a very clear screen and is reflective something common to many high end plasmas and LED displays. The clear screens produce image quality that people have not seen before in rear projection. With a pro level calibration, something routine for me the 92" image will be nothing short of spectacular in my viewing room. The price of the set is a fraction of a 70" Elite, and less than the typical street price of the 80" Sharp.

Why have I bought so many DLPs, because I like big displays and I like the image they produce. As larger and larger rear projectors have come out I have upgraded. All the sets I bought during the 6 years are still in service. I gave a 72" Sammy to my brother when I bought the current 82" Mits. He gave me a 56" Sammy which is in my Mother-In-Law's home. My first set was a 65" HP and is still running fine. I have a 58" Panny Plasma in the bedroom and it gets almost no use. Not really anything wrong with the plasma. It was wall mounted and we found we just did not use it. I prefer the look of the DLP frankly. I have a bunch of mid-size LEDs around as PC displays so it is not like I am only a DLP rear projector guy. They work well in my large rooms and I can afford them. From a technology point of view I am agnostic.

I will say there are a lot DLPs out there that are poorly setup. They don't show well in most AV stores because they don't make the same amount of light. But just because they show LCDs in stores at 70-100 ft lamberts doen't mean any sane person uses them that way in the home, so for the most part they make similar amounts of light to DLP when you get them setup properly. Blastingly bright is an advantage when Mom and Pop come in to big box store and looks at a myriad of virtually identical panels.

I would prefer front projection if it fit my lifestyle but it doesn't. Big DLP rear projectors do and unless you are an early adopter and over pay they are usually by far the biggest bang for the buck year in and year out. Finally the advent of reliable and affordable 3rd party warranty extensions takes the overdone fear factor out.

Very well said... if that wont shut Jonnythan up nothing will... oops... too soon...

Quote:

Yes. For me. It's an opinion. I have nothing personally against DLP (who can have something against a particular TV technology?) and encourage other people to consider DLP as an option.

you just will NOT give it up will you? Been trolling this thread from the beginning and HAVE to get the last word in huh?

I read the entire thread and honestly you sound like someone who has had to settle for a black friday 32" LCD. I didn't know which of your posts to quote they all sounded so ignorant. Its ok... we aren't mad at you. But dont knock DLP just because you cant get the new hotness and the only RP you know about is 15-20 yrs old. Times (and RP's) have changed as of late.
post #229 of 382 Old 12-18-2011, 03:15 AM

Liked: 35
Quote:

Maybe not quantified, but if you thought about it enough I'm sure you could at least describe the difference in quality you're seeing more specifically than "old fashioned" anyway.
post #230 of 382 Old 12-18-2011, 04:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_jitsu View Post

LOL... so right on. Jonnythan has no idea what he's talking about anyways. After all he is a self proclaimed AVS Short Bus Member
post #231 of 382 Old 12-18-2011, 11:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! View Post

Maybe not quantified, but if you thought about it enough I'm sure you could at least describe the difference in quality you're seeing more specifically than "old fashioned" anyway.

It's the fact that you're looking at an image projected through a screen.

If you took an LCD, a plasma, and a DLP and put them behind a wall with cutouts so you could only see the images, it would be easy to tell them apart. LCDs (all LCDs that I've seen) invariably have a staring-at-a-headlight look, plasmas look a lot like a direct-view CRT, and DLP has a looking-through-a-screen look (because that's what you're doing).

I don't know how you can quantify that. Whether anyone likes it or not doesn't concern me. I don't like it.
post #232 of 382 Old 12-18-2011, 12:56 PM

Quote:

It's the fact that you're looking at an image projected through a screen.

If you took an LCD, a plasma, and a DLP and put them behind a wall with cutouts so you could only see the images, it would be easy to tell them apart. LCDs (all LCDs that I've seen) invariably have a staring-at-a-headlight look, plasmas look a lot like a direct-view CRT, and DLP has a looking-through-a-screen look (because that's what you're doing).

I don't know how you can quantify that. Whether anyone likes it or not doesn't concern me. I don't like it.

Sorry man but I would bet you money you couldn't tell the difference between some DLP's and some others... I'm sure other people feel the same way. I used to feel the same way you do but new DLP's are just that much better.
post #233 of 382 Old 12-18-2011, 02:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ten8yp View Post

Sorry man but I would bet you money you couldn't tell the difference between some DLP's and some others... I'm sure other people feel the same way. I used to feel the same way you do but new DLP's are just that much better.

That would be a silly bet to make. Just by walking side to side to change the viewing angle, it would be trivial to tell the technologies apart. LCDs have color shifts as you increase angle and DLPs have brightness shifts as you get far off to the side and marked shifts as you move up and down. Those are just effects of the technologies themselves and you can't avoid them.
post #234 of 382 Old 12-19-2011, 05:11 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
At this point I definitely do not hate DLP, but am getting increasingly discouraged with the technology due to the rainbow effect.

I recently acquired an HL61A750 which operates using pulsed LEDs vs a UHP lamp + color wheel. Supposedly the ultra quick LEDs were to eliminate the rainbow problem for the vast majority of viewers.

It's really bizarre, but yesterday I watched four straight hours of football without noticing it even once. Then went on a nostalgia trip and viewed some of my childhood favorite G1 Transformers episodes (including the original '86 movie)....only a couple brief instances of color bands, but mostly perfect. Anime and cartoons always look especially amazing on this TV.

OK..then later that night I decided to rehash a few of the more visually impressive scenes from the movie "Troy" on HD DVD. I remember how they really popped on my old Sony XBR1 SXRD.

Well what an absolutely horrible experience that was. Thick color bands all over the screen every few minutes. Both bright scenes and dark scenes were equally affected, there was no real prominent instigator to the defects. It was just a mess. Faces and clothing were randomly garbled with RGB blotched lines.

Tried keeping my eyes completely still and it helped only a little. I'm twelve feet away from the screen as it is, maybe I'll have to distance even further back.

I am at a loss as to how most people don't see these problems. The rainbows are so obnoxious and can't simply be ignored.
post #235 of 382 Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 PM

Wish I knew what it was the "rainbowing" even looked like... it would probably take someone sitting beside me telling me "there it is" to even know... that is, if my tv has/does it at all.

To be fair... the HL61A750 hasn't been sold brand new in 2-3 years (since '08 I think) so I'm assuming you purchased it used. It could have had issues when you purchased it possibly. Also, the firmware and technology is atleast a couple of years older than current DLP's. Has to be a reason Samsung isn't making DLP's at all anymore.
post #236 of 382 Old 12-20-2011, 12:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by KewlK View Post

At this point I definitely do not hate DLP, but am getting increasingly discouraged with the technology due to the rainbow effect.

I recently acquired an HL61A750 which operates using pulsed LEDs vs a UHP lamp + color wheel. Supposedly the ultra quick LEDs were to eliminate the rainbow problem for the vast majority of viewers.

It's really bizarre, but yesterday I watched four straight hours of football without noticing it even once. Then went on a nostalgia trip and viewed some of my childhood favorite G1 Transformers episodes (including the original '86 movie)....only a couple brief instances of color bands, but mostly perfect. Anime and cartoons always look especially amazing on this TV.

OK..then later that night I decided to rehash a few of the more visually impressive scenes from the movie "Troy" on HD DVD. I remember how they really popped on my old Sony XBR1 SXRD.

Well what an absolutely horrible experience that was. Thick color bands all over the screen every few minutes. Both bright scenes and dark scenes were equally affected, there was no real prominent instigator to the defects. It was just a mess. Faces and clothing were randomly garbled with RGB blotched lines.

Tried keeping my eyes completely still and it helped only a little. I'm twelve feet away from the screen as it is, maybe I'll have to distance even further back.

I am at a loss as to how most people don't see these problems. The rainbows are so obnoxious and can't simply be ignored.

Doesn't seem like rainbowing. The banding you refer to may be posterization or other artifacts. Since you only saw it on one source, check your connections.

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #237 of 382 Old 12-20-2011, 10:11 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

What you are describing ain't rainbowing. I don't doubt you are seeing some kind of artifacting but rainbowing is not at all like what you are describing .

I am not sensitive to the rainbow effect but almost anyone can force themself to see them. If you use the THX test setup utility on early Pixar movies like Toy story and go the the aspect ratio test screens, these are white circles and ovals on black bagrounds. Move your head left to right rapidly while looking at the screen and you will see what is called RBE or Rainbow Effect. Once you see it you understand.

You aren't getting that without a color wheel. I have never once had anyone sit in front of any of the 4 soon to be 5 DLPs I own and heard a word about rainbows. The vast majority of people don't see them in normal content. I have only ever seen them in these peculiar scenaris of large white circles on a pure black, background and even then I had to shake my head back and forth in a very unnatural way.

Just another blank signature.
post #238 of 382 Old 12-20-2011, 11:17 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 13
Quote:

What you are describing ain't rainbowing. I don't doubt you are seeing some kind of artifacting but rainbowing is not at all like what you are describing.

I know exactly what RBE is and have known about it for years from vomit-worthy experiences with older color wheel based sets. Random vertical red green and blue lines separating images and splotching up my viewing experience most definitely qualifies as RBE. I was under the false impression that the newer LED and laser based DLPs would totally eliminate the flaw for me, but they do not.

Quote:

I am not sensitive to the rainbow effect but almost anyone can force themself to see them. If you use the THX test setup utility on early Pixar movies like Toy story and go the the aspect ratio test screens, these are white circles and ovals on black bagrounds. Move your head left to right rapidly while looking at the screen and you will see what is called RBE or Rainbow Effect. Once you see it you understand.

Yes, the THX screen tests are torture. The white circle breaks completely apart into RGB segments across the entire screen with the slightest eye movements. You are lucky that you are not sensitive and have to force unnatural head and eye movements to bring it out, I'm simply just trying to enjoy a casual viewing experience without success.

For me it's almost always there in motion pictures. Not so much in cartoons or video games. Almost not at all while using the TV as a PC monitor (as I'm typing this right now, all is clear).

Quote:

You aren't getting that without a color wheel. I have never once had anyone sit in front of any of the 4 soon to be 5 DLPs I own and heard a word about rainbows. The vast majority of people don't see them in normal content. I have only ever seen them in these peculiar scenaris of large white circles on a pure black, background and even then I had to shake my head back and forth in a very unnatural way.

Again, you're lucky, and so are the vast majority of people from what I've been told.

I am not actively looking for the problem, just trying to watch movies as I normally would. The color defects are literally right in my face without warning and it is very frustrating.

Something very odd I have noticed though, is that when I am drowsy the problem occurs much less often. It's almost as if the more I zone out, and focus less on the picture, things tend to look more normal. Maybe I should down a couple beers right before watching?

I don't know, perhaps the optical region of my brain is abnormally acute to be dependably convinced by DLP visual trickery.

I'm just not always being fooled by the continuous overlapping of the component colors. I can normally see the 60Hz flicker of incandescent light bulbs and see between the interlaced scan lines on CRTS. So I suppose I'm just a freak.

Maybe there is a way to crank up the LED pulsing rate somewhere within the service menu? I highly doubt it though.
post #239 of 382 Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 55 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:

... I can normally see the 60Hz flicker of incandescent light bulbs and see between the interlaced scan lines on CRTS...

"The wise understand by themselves; fools follow the reports of others"-Tibetan Proverb

post #240 of 382 Old 12-20-2011, 07:24 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I'm just not always being fooled by the continuous overlapping of the component colors. I can normally see the 60Hz flicker of incandescent light bulbs and see between the interlaced scan lines on CRTS. So I suppose I'm just a freak.

Maybe there is a way to crank up the LED pulsing rate somewhere within the service menu? I highly doubt it though.

Well you might be a freak but it has nothing to do with incandescent bulbs flickering. At 60 Hz, the filament stays at a pretty much constant temperature and does not flicker.
Reply Rear Projection Units

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page