AVS Forum banner

Why the hatred for DLP?

96K views 455 replies 123 participants last post by  allenmorrison141 
#1 ·
I was browsing around the LCD and Plasma forums and while reading some of the threads it seems as there was a constant dislike, almost hatred for DLP's.

I don't get it. I own a DLP as well as LCD's. They each have a purpose. If I am tight for space and want to hang a 32" TV on a wall, I buy a LCD. If I want home theater, as big as I can get screen 73" + for the least amount of $$, I get a DLP.

Why do they hate DLP's so much? Was it the bad experiences with them? Are plasma and LCD's really "bullet-proof"?

See less See more
#2 ·
Ignorance is my first reaction.

DLPs do what they do very well and for now if one is looking for a BIG tv DLP is at the top of the list.

For better or worse I think mitsubishi's DLP days are coming to an end (maybe 2-5 years or so). The other techs are visually supierior (not that dlps are bad mind you) and they are starting to encroach on dlp sizes at affordable levels. The new 92 incher is great, but I think any bigger justifies a projector set up.

The day is coming when plasma and lcd will be very affordable at 75+inches and dlp rear projection sets will go the way of the dinosaur.

Now as far as dismissing current dlp sets as crap is just wrong. Mitsu sets have a very good picture and outshine the others in certain areas. I own a 65738 and love it and have my eye on the 92 as my next set.

#3 ·
Nothing is bullet proof. Dlp is the new kid on the block and repairs are expensive and common. Bulbs, ballasts, and the little Dlp chip are common repairs I've heard of costing between $100 and $600 on average. Considering I saw some decent looking LCD tvs at walmart today that were 55"+ for around $1200 it doesn't make sends to go Dlp. LCD is a mature technology and while im sure bulbs do burn out, I've never had it happen even on my pentium 1 laptop. Look around at all the faqs about changing a Dlp bulb then try to find an equal amount for LCD. When I can buy a new LCD for about twice the cost of a bulb and light engine, which one do you think im going to chose? Btw, im using LCD as an example since I have limited experience with plasma. My preferred display is crt as it doesn't motion blur or pixilate as bad as any digital display I've seen but they are big, heavy, and nearly out of production

#4 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha-rules /forum/post/20907258

Nothing is bullet proof. Dlp is the new kid on the block and repairs are expensive and common.

DLPs have been around since 1988. They didn't get really mainstream with the public until early 2000 but they are far from new technology. Bulb replacement is a known given, just like movie theaters which replace their DLP bulbs, it is common maintenance. Once can get 5,000 - 10,000 hours on a bulb. They cost around $80 and it takes 5 minutes to replace them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha-rules /forum/post/20907258

Considering I saw some decent looking LCD tvs at walmart today that were 55"+ for around $1200 it doesn't make sends to go Dlp.

What BRAND is the 55" LCD at WalMart? I bet you it is not a well-known or respected brand and it is not 3D ready, nor will it have the same picture quality of a DLP.

Any decent branded 65" LCD w/ 120Hz & 3D costs in the $3,000-$5,000 range. One can get a 73" DLP with 3D ready for $1,200.

DLP outperforms an LCD in both picture quality and 3D quality. DLP projectors are also used in RealD Cinema and newer IMAX theatres for 3-D films. DLP is THE STANDARD for movie theaters.

Don't get me wrong, LCD's have their place. I own LCD computer monitors and even an LCD TV. Yet when it comes to size, picture quality and bang for buck, the DLP reigns supreme. Each has their pros and cons but it's wrong to dismiss DLP as costly and outdated because it is the complete opposite of that.

#5 ·
What I also noticed is that non-ignorant audiophiles know and respect DLP's. If you go to Best Buy and talk to one of those goofs, they dismiss them and most Best Buy's don't even carry DLP's. It's all about the "thin is in". The last BB I walked into they were pushing the "thinner is better" and had no clue about DLPs.

Here is what I don't get when it comes to large sized screens with home theaters. One needs to have a stand anyways to house the receiver, blu-ray player, center speaker, etc. It's not a big deal to have a DLP set sitting on the stand.

LCDs and Plasmas have their place and I have an LCD mounted on a wall because the room is small and I don't have any hardware connected to it. But DLP's also have their place and rightly so but are dismissed by stores like BB. Luckily places like Fry's Electronics are still supplying DLPs.

#6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear /forum/post/20907332

What I also noticed is that non-ignorant audiophiles know and respect DLP's. If you go to Best Buy and talk to one of those goofs, they dismiss them and most Best Buy's don't even carry DLP's. It's all about the "thin is in". The last BB I walked into they were pushing the "thinner is better" and had no clue about DLPs.

Here is what I don't get when it comes to large sized screens with home theaters. One needs to have a stand anyways to house the receiver, blu-ray player, center speaker, etc. It's not a big deal to have a DLP set sitting on the stand.

LCDs and Plasmas have their place and I have an LCD mounted on a wall because the room is small and I don't have any hardware connected to it. But DLP's also have their place and rightly so but are dismissed by stores like BB. Luckily places like Fry's Electronics are still supplying DLPs.

The fact is most are just uninformed on there choices these days
, The bombardment of technology over the last decade has been over whelming for the average consumer most when they see my 73738 are unaware of its exsistance, and wait to you tell them the price
My personal take is dlp is here to stay, the one box solution will always be first choice just look at receiver sales vs. separates. After replacing my 64inch crt with the 73738 and not lcd or plasma, I'll argue till blue in the face over which is better
or red lol.

#7 ·
Most DLP hatred comes from people that have owned them. It has nothing to do with picture quality, but the fact that the sets were unreliable, and repair costs high.

Anybody that ever bought a DLP set had to factor in the cost of an extended warranty with the purchase price of their set. If they were wise, they also bought a lamp warranty, if the extended warranty didn't cover it.

One of the selling points of DLP technology was that the set would last long term and that by replacing the lamp every few years you got that new set picture quality renewed. Unfortunately, due to the use of cheap parts, many moving parts in the sets, and long term damage to the DLP chips due to heat, the sets died young and were expensive to repair.

I've owned one, loved the pq, but would never buy another DLP based product.

#8 ·
inuyasha-rules completely inaccurate post about sums it up. Ignorance.

The fact is, any type of TV can break down and need repairs. My brother-in-law got a new Samsung LCD about the same time I bought a Mitsubishi DLP. His barely turns on anymore and mine looks like a brand new set since I just replaced the bulb for $60. Proper airflow and cool ambient room temperature go a long way towards extending the life of a TV.

#9 ·
There are alot of techphiles, audiophiles, and videophiles around here. That's not a knock of this place I love it for the advice and help. But some people have to have the absolute best and if it's not incredible they will knock it.

Ofcourse a large DLP will not give you the insane detail, color, and sharpness of a smaller LED or Plasma. But they provide a great big picture for a bargain price. My most expensive speaker system happens to be around my large DLP, not my plasma.

#10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67jason /forum/post/20907248

The day is coming when plasma and lcd will be very affordable at 75+inches and dlp rear projection sets will go the way of the dinosaur.

You know why this isn't true??? Ultra HD. When resolutions go up to 3840x2160 in a few years, plasma and LCD will be back up in price where they are now and the cycle will continue. (Or OLED might actually hit the market and be VERY expensive.) This is where Mits could get a jump on them if they started releasing these early with some kind of scaler chip to up convert till next gen content could be released. Just my opinion. And what I would actually do. Remember, they have had 3D ready tv's 2 or 3 years before LCD or plasma did.

#12 ·
Bytor prove how im wrong. The proof that im right is everyone on here posting about lights going out, the Dlp chips going out, and so on. And yes any thing can break. Reread the first sentence of my post. Dlp from my point of view is like a girlfriend. They look good and are fun but they are high maintenance and expensive.

Lbear believe it or not they had samsungs and songs for about $100 cheaper than vizio. Wasn't really looking for a tv but a friend of mine was and I bumped into him. And no im not getting any more detailed since there's a rule against posting pricing.

Draven you are right and wrong. I see the main problem being producing that many pixels in one sheet since most consumers wont tolotate bad pixels. I remember when if there were less than 5 bad ones total or 3 together it was considered good by dell at least. But overall fixed pixel technology has a limited life span before its out of date, compared to crt projection that was around long before 1080 was king, and handles it just fine

#14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha-rules /forum/post/20910553

The proof that im right is everyone on here posting about lights going out, the Dlp chips going out, and so on.

The bulbs in DLP's is not up to question whether or not they have to be changed eventually. Any person worth his or her 2 cents knows that DLP bulb replacement is normal and a part of the deal. At $80 a pop, they are cheap and easy to do. My 61" Samsung DLP is going on 5 years, at 10,000 hours I replaced the bulb, cost me $85. Five years and still going.

It's like owning a car and making a big deal that you have to change the oil and tires. It's part of ownership.

If I can get a 73" DLP with all the latest 3D bells and whistles for $1,200, why on earth would I pay $3,000+ for the same sized LCD or Plasma?

As far as other DLP chips going out and the such, it happens but overall they are reliable units. I'm just saying that LCD, Plasma and DLP all have their strengths, faults and places in the market but there is no reason to despise DLP's.

#15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910560

The problem is that it's still an RPTV, and all RPTVs have that characteristic rear projection look (and poor viewing angles) that just scream "ancient" and low-quality.

Then someone might want to tell the 10,000+ theaters as they still use that "ancient" technology of DLP and a white screen.

So basically the argument you are posing is that they "look" bad on the outside. It's a matter of fashion vs. substance. DLP might not be slim and fashionable but the picture quality is on par or even surpasses that of most LCD and Plasmas. Need we mention 3D? DLP is king of 3D while LCD and plasma struggle with issues to replicate a clean 3D picture.

As far as viewing angles. I've never experienced problems. Even LCD and Plasma have problems with light sources, reflection, glare, pixelation.

#16 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lbear /forum/post/20910633

Then someone might want to tell the 10,000+ theaters as they still use that "ancient" technology of DLP and a white screen.

So basically the argument you are posing is that they "look" bad on the outside. It's a matter of fashion vs. substance. DLP might not be slim and fashionable but the picture quality is on par or even surpasses that of most LCD and Plasmas. Need we mention 3D? DLP is king of 3D while LCD and plasma struggle with issues to replicate a clean 3D picture.

As far as viewing angles. I've never experienced problems. Even LCD and Plasma have problems with light sources, reflection, glare, pixelation.

Front projection is not rear projection.

My argument is that the picture just doesn't look good. It doesn't have anything to do with how the box itself looks, though that is indeed a factor as well.

Like DLP if you want, I don't care either way. Rear projection just, as I said, has that characteristic rear projection look that just looks old. Something about shining an image through a projection screen.

#17 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by inuyasha-rules /forum/post/20910553

Bytor prove how im wrong. The proof that im right is everyone on here posting about lights going out, the Dlp chips going out, and so on. And yes any thing can break. Reread the first sentence of my post. Dlp from my point of view is like a girlfriend. They look good and are fun but they are high maintenance and expensive.

I'v had a Mitsubishi DLP since 2007. Under $2000 at the time, and I have spent about around $200 on it since then. My son had one as well, and sold it to his sister when he upgraded for size. That TV has about the same $2200 invested in it, and is still going strong.

$2200 for over 4 years of quality TV viewing doesn't seem high maintenance or expensive to me.

#18 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910560

The problem is that it's still an RPTV, and all RPTVs have that characteristic rear projection look (and poor viewing angles) that just scream "ancient" and low-quality.

Time to crawl out of the cave and see what RPTV is like today.

#19 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/20910719

Time to crawl out of the cave and see what RPTV is like today.

It's not really that different. I don't hate DLP, but I genuinely cannot understand why anyone would buy a DLP other than the fact that it's the cheapest technology.

Yes, the picture can be very good technically. Great color, great tonal balance, great motion, great contrast. But you're still looking at a picture being projected through a projection screen. It looks old-fashioned and just lacks the overall feel of a direct-view or front projection unit.

So for the OP, that's the answer. A lot of people simply dislike that 'quality' of a RP set. And the boxes are, honestly, big and ugly.

#20 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910741

It's not really that different. ..It looks old-fashioned and just lacks the overall feel of a direct-view or front projection unit...

...And the boxes are, honestly, big and ugly.

It's obvious from your statements that you fell for the whole "thin is in" marketing. For me substance is more important than appearance.

Instead of "old-fashioned, big, and ugly", how about "fashionable, big, and beautiful"?

#21 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/20910769

It's obvious from your statements that you fell for the whole "thin is in" marketing. For me substance is more important than appearance.

Give me a break. I have an opinion that is clearly different from yours. I strongly dislike the look of an image being projected through a projection screen from behind. That doesn't mean I'm obviously completely mistaken and have been sucked in by clever marketers. If that were the case, I'd think that LED TVs were better than plasma....

It's amusing, though, that you followed up your "you fell for the marketing" line with..... a ridiculously unrealistic and exaggerated marketing image.

#22 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910782

Give me a break. I have an opinion that is clearly different from yours. I strongly dislike the look of an image being projected through a projection screen from behind. That doesn't mean I'm obviously completely mistaken and have been sucked in by clever marketers. If that were the case, I'd think that LED TVs were better than plasma....

It's amusing, though, that you followed up your "you fell for the marketing" line with..... a ridiculously unrealistic and exaggerated marketing image.

The comments quoted were obviously about the look of the exterior of the TV, but you're welcome to your opinion.

The only thing unrealistic about the marketing image is the standard simulated picture that every TV company uses.

If you don't like that image, how about a "real" one?

Looks pretty sweet to me. (And check out the bezel surrounding the picture, compared to 2-3 inches on a typical flat screen.) Hardly old-fashioned or ugly, IMHO. (but definitely big!) http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1340721

#23 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Augerhandle /forum/post/20910826

The comments quoted were obviously about the look of the exterior of the TV

No, they weren't. The "old-fashioned" and "rear-projection look" comments were 100% about the picture itself. I can understand why you thought I was talking about the sets themselves, as I didn't really make it clear.

I am strictly criticizing the picture quality of DLP. It's the characterstic look of an image projected through a screen that I find particularly distasteful, compared to high quality plasma and front projection.

I am happy that you are pleased with your TV, though. Who wants to think they own something substandard?

#24 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910867

No, they weren't. The "old-fashioned" and "rear-projection look" comments were 100% about the picture itself.

It's because of comments like this that myself and Augerhandle believed you were also commenting on the appearance of the actual enclosure:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910667

It doesn't have anything to do with how the box itself looks, though that is indeed a factor as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnythan /forum/post/20910741

And the boxes are, honestly, big and ugly.

It's obvious you were commenting on the DLP box appearance also. The same line is given by people at Best Buy, "thin is in" and anything thicker than a 2 inches is unfashionable and old or it's "big and ugly."

In the end, DLP has a place in Hi-Def video. It's not junk, far from it. The picture quality is on-par, if not better than most LCD and Plasmas. For the price, DLps can't be beaten. Just because you can't hang it on a wall doesn't mean it's junk. It's not like you are going to carry this thing and move it around everyday.

#26 ·
the hatred towards dlp is all due to marketing. with people being constantly told they need to get the thinnest biggest picture they can fit through their door, its no wonder people scoff at a tv that looks like a blown up version of the very tv everyone was told to get rid of. with a side by side comparison of the same picture, a properly set dlp and plasma/lcd/whatever will look very similar. the only 2 major differences are physical size and price.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.