Have $3000 to spend. Please help me choose WD-82838 (diamond) or L75-A91 (laservue)! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 03:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi guys, I'm looking for a 3D TV for around 3 grand and narrowed it down to these too. This TV is in my living room next to balcony, I need it to perform good in all situation. Originally I wanted to get the 92-inch 3D TV but I am concerned that it will have poor performance in daytime. I'm learning towards the laservue. All opinions will be much appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 08:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 25
Happy as heck with my LaserVue! Check out my bids on YouTube, search on "SpenceJT" for my channel!

SpenceJT

"Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!"
- Malcolm Reynolds, Capt. "Serenity" -
post #3 of 22 Old 10-24-2011, 09:07 PM

I would go with the Laserview if you are big on color quality over size, there is definitely a difference that is easily noticeable. I saw the 82838 and the Laservue at Fry's in Austin. I was looking at the big screens and the 82 caught my eye, then I kept looking and I saw this other tv and was like, DAMN, this one must be really tuned in better than the other one, but no it was the Laservue. The picture really is alot better, not that the 82 is any slouch. The color is alot more rich on the laservue.
post #4 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 05:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Tuskir911 - if you are within driving distance of Madison Wisconsin, bring beer, cheese, brats, and demo my LaserVue while I have a traditional Wisconsin breakfast. ;-)

Here is a link to one of three LaserVue videos that I've created
http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...nA&view=videos

SpenceJT

post #5 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM

I'm in south FL, unfortunately I wasn't able to find a retailer who had these two to compare. Looks like the consensus is that laservue is better. I just wish they would make laservue in 80+ since I really wanted a big TV. Another thing I wanted to ask... what is the difference between L75-A91 and L75-A94. The 94 is $1,000 more expensive, but justifiably so?
post #6 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 10:55 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskir View Post

I'm in south FL, unfortunately I wasn't able to find a retailer who had these two to compare. Looks like the consensus is that laservue is better. I just wish they would make laservue in 80+ since I really wanted a big TV. Another thing I wanted to ask... what is the difference between L75-A91 and L75-A94. The 94 is $1,000 more expensive, but justifiably so?

The A94 has support for the new & improved HDMI 1.4 (which adds "audio return" via the HDMI cable), an embedded emitter for the 3D glasses (no big deal for me to have a small emitter & adapter box), and (I think) a "new & improved" screen, which may, or may not increase the glossiness of the screen, meaning that it may pick up more reflected ambient light.

I don't think it really warrants the extra $1K as there is no real change or improvement in the viewing experience from what I have read. Of course, YMMV and this is the opinion of a biased A91 owner. ;-)

Good luck with what ever you choose. I had to make two 180 minute drives as the nearest location displaying the LaserVue was some 90 miles away. I made the trip twice, shot the first two of three videos (posted on my YouTube link in one of the above posts). The third video was the "delivery" , "unboxing", and demonstration of extreme viewing angles.

Having had my L75-A91 for nearly a year (November), I would do it all over again if I were shopping for a television!

...can't wait to pick up the 3D Blu-ray of Captain America on my way home tonight!

Regards,

Spence

SpenceJT

post #7 of 22 Old 10-25-2011, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskir911 View Post

Hi guys, I'm looking for a 3D TV for around 3 grand and narrowed it down to these too. This TV is in my living room next to balcony, I need it to perform good in all situation. Originally I wanted to get the 92-inch 3D TV but I am concerned that it will have poor performance in daytime. I'm learning towards the laservue. All opinions will be much appreciated

Saw the latest laservue next to this years 82740. Thought they were similar. (better color on laservue) However salesman said this years diamond (82840) much better than last years (82838) because of the clear contrast screen. Both were in your price range. Might consider seeing these both together to make a decision. Diamond does give you 16 speakers if that is important to you.
post #8 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Tuskir - you can pick up the LaserVue, and save $1,000. L75A91 "re-boxed" (but still listed as new).

http://www.buy.com/pr/product.aspx?sku=224433942

SpenceJT

post #9 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 07:08 AM

I would skip the A91. Read the laservue threads and you will see why.
post #10 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 09:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jowens1126 View Post

I would skip the A91. Read the laservue threads and you will see why.

Do read the threads, but keep in mind that the vast majority of LaserVue owners aren't prone to extol the virtues of their televisions with positive comments. It is a well known fact that people not having problems, will simply not be creating posts on how great their television is (this goes for any brand or model), whereas people experiencing problems will make multiple posts to anyone in ear-shot (or "view-shot" as it were) in order to seek assistance or help to further the range and impact of their personal grudge against a given product or company.

There were a number of problems with the 65" first generation, which were addressed, and corrected upon release of the A91. Issues with the A91 have certainly been experienced, but most, if not all were problems "out of the box".

My A91 has seen multiple hours of use on a daily basis as it is the display in our basement family room / home gym for the better part of a year (it arrived at my home in mid November of 2010). It has been completely and utterly the best television that I have ever owned.

I strongly urge anyone considering the purchase of a LaserVue, to make every attempt to see it with their own eyes. My YouTube videos, and the videos posted by others, simply cannot do the display justice.

SpenceJT

post #11 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceJT View Post

I strongly urge anyone considering the purchase of a LaserVue, to make every attempt to see it with their own eyes. My YouTube videos, and the videos posted by others, simply cannot do the display justice.

I agree with you there. The picture is outstanding. The size is really nice. Its alot better looking to my eyes than the regular DLP TV's. I also agree that people with problems are the only ones you usually hear from. So theres not that many complaints really, so there must be a large number of happy owners out there.

I would still suggest the A95 Simply because its now the 3rd generation and should have a bit more lifespan than the earlier models support wise. Im sure they learned a thing or two from the other 2 sets as well. To me the A95 looks better than the A91 too. But thats just me. If your a bargain hunter, you cant go wrong with the A91.
post #12 of 22 Old 10-27-2011, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Hello,
If you can get a Laservue for close to the same price, that is the way I would go as well. If for no other reason than not having to worry about Lamp Replacement.
Cheers,
AD

Radio Shack SPL Meter Owner
post #13 of 22 Old 10-28-2011, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter

I think I would prefer the Diamond series due to size and 16-speakers (don't get care about changing lamp every 2 years), but my main issue was daylight performance. Is there really a difference between the two in terms of brightness and reflectiveness?
post #14 of 22 Old 10-28-2011, 12:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Quote:

I think I would prefer the Diamond series due to size and 16-speakers (don't get care about changing lamp every 2 years), but my main issue was daylight performance. Is there really a difference between the two in terms of brightness and reflectiveness?

I haven't seen the 94 but if you are talking about the "realistic" color modes there is not much difference in the image between the lamp or laser illuminated sets.

I have seen the 92840 and the clear screen makes a hell of difference in sharpness and the out of box color is much better, so I can believe the 94 looks nice. It would be a set that you need to have in the right room or the reflections would driver you bonkers. Mits needed a high end coating on the clear screens. There is always next year.

Just another blank signature.
post #15 of 22 Old 10-28-2011, 03:28 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtgray View Post

I haven't seen the 94 but if you are talking about the "realistic" color modes there is not much difference in the image between the lamp or laser illuminated sets.

I have seen the 92840 and the clear screen makes a hell of difference in sharpness and the out of box color is much better, so I can believe the 94 looks nice. It would be a set that you need to have in the right room or the reflections would driver you bonkers. Mits needed a high end coating on the clear screens. There is always next year.

Sorry not sure I understand, does this also apply to laservue? I watch most TV during daytime actually (like to have bfast early in front of it) and I'm not going to close the balcony shades to watch it, that's kind of ridiculous, not to mention would interfere with nice ocean view too lol

Maybe this is another stupid questions, but is there any "aftermarket" coating that can be applied on it to solve this problem?
post #16 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 02:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Mitsubishi WD-82838 hands down. I've owned the Lazervue. Returned It, and haven't looked back. ;-)

Here's my mini-review of the WD-82838.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SaDbjBHogRA&hd=1

Video Games, 3D, and Home Theater Forever! ^_^

post #17 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 08:57 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked: 90
The people who tell you to see the sets for yourself are making the most sense of all. Buying a display on the basis of anyone's review just isn't as good as the testimony of your own eyes.

If you want my subjective opinion...and that is all it is...the new 75 inch Laservue is a beautiful display, much better than any previous Laservue model, and I daresay better than the bulb sets. I would like to see the new 73840, as I admired its predecessor.

I never much cared for earlier iterations of the Laservue, but this set is different. I wish Mitsubishi had a pamphlet assuring me that the light source is completely safe for the eyes, but the image on the thing is phenomenal.

But see the sets for yourself. Everyone sees things differently.
post #18 of 22 Old 11-16-2011, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Just ordered WD-82840 from Paul's TV for almost half the price of new laservue. Very excited and can't wait to get it
post #19 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 01:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Just ordered WD-82840 from Paul's TV for almost half the price of new laservue. Very excited and can't wait to get it

Originally you mentioned the 82838 in your question, which influenced my response. I did see the 82840 and thought it brighter than the 82838, so I think you made a good choice within your price range and desire for a large screen.

Good luck.
post #20 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 09:00 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by taichi4 View Post

Originally you mentioned the 82838 in your question, which influenced my response. I did see the 82840 and thought it brighter than the 82838, so I think you made a good choice within your price range and desire for a large screen.

Good luck.

I did want the 838 originally, however, Paul's TV is selling 840 for exact same price and they recommended it over 838 due to improved brightness and contrast.

Thanks for all the help choosing a TV guys, much appreciated!
post #21 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I did want the 838 originally, however, Paul's TV is selling 840 for exact same price and they recommended it over 838 due to improved brightness and contrast.

I think you made a good choice, and happily got a good deal that steered you in that direction, as the clear contrast model will definitely be brighter than the 82838. Just avoid any light behind you when you watch your TV. On the other hand subdued lighting behind the set can actually be helpful.
post #22 of 22 Old 11-17-2011, 04:39 PM

Liked: 13
Quote:

That sounds like a great price. I've actually been looking at this tv, but didn't like the price. At that price, now I'm much more interested. I've been looking to get a larger tv. I currently have the Sony SXRD KDS-60A3000 which has been a great tv. Anyone have any experience with one of these SXRD and the later model Mit. DLP to compare brightness and sharpness of the pictures?
Reply Rear Projection Units

Tags
Mitsubishi L75 A91 75 Inch 1080p Laservue Hdtv
Gear in this thread - 1080p by PriceGrabber.com